[PGT] Canucks @ Avs -- 3 losses for the 1st time this season

HKSR

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm looking at that 9 game home stand almost like another training camp. Huge amount of practice time right when we really need it.

I've been thinking and hoping the same... 

They boys have always shown a willingness to practice... even on days off they tend to come in for a skate and a few things...

I think, more than anything, they need a settled time, with time to practice and no travel... I bet they are looking forward to it as well to recharge their batteries...

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

What I would find interesting is if there was an audit of every game over the course of a season to "see" what calls were of the "borderline" / "WTF" variety and have that made public. I know the league audits refs but that is done in private and thus about as transparent as a brick wall, still would instill some confidence and accountability.

I am sure there are pundits, not the Eklund variety, that have opined on this but that would be more of the "seat-of-the-pants" analysis rather than a true in-depth examination.

Personally, I don't think the refs are out to "get" the Canucks but I certainly feel it is that way - however, I like most here are rabid fans thus a bit sensitive. Still, JT's "are you fucking kidding me" was to the point as he clearly got hosed there with the high-sticking call with his glove on shoulder of player and not on his stick.

Totally agree...

I think, we watch the games with 'homer' glasses on, and are less likely to see murder calls, when they are in our favour, or at least less likely to remember them...  

Problem is not the refereeing is poor, problem is there aren't any better than those referees...

I'm sure over the season some teams gets more calls than others, but doubt its on purpose, and there is no way the NHL tell the refs which team should be in the play offs, and which teams should be penalised....  It would simply not be possible to keep it a secret, and there would be huge repercussions, should anything like that come out in the open... 

Doen't mean we got get the short end of the stick at times, cause we definitely do, but it is, what is it... and we just have to overcome that...

Remember during the bubble playoffs Myers got a ridiculous amount of penalties for cross checking, and yet the team adapted and over came... This is what we have to do again.

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Your reads throughout the PGT on other people and why they post their thoughts is completely off base and fabricated in your own head.

You really should just stop speaking for others. All your doing is spinning what people say to try and make them look like less of a fan and yourself look superior, but it just makes you look pouty.

If you don't like what people post then ignore them. It's not up to you to police other peoples opinions. Especially if all you can do is exaggerate  

Y9QUp4=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if contract negotiation is affecting his play.. then it’s just the management fans and media’s fault because he said many times he doesn’t want to negotiate during season and we are trying to force him to negotiate 

It gas nothing to do with fans or media. It is affecting Petey in that he is playing trying to justify his ask and doing too much thinking on the ice instead of just letting instinct take over. 

He is feeling the pressure of betting on himself more than any external ones. 

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I didn't expect the team would be able to go an entire season without a losing streak of a few games. The fact that they went this long without doing so, tells you something about the way the team is constructed and coached, IMO....

I feel much better about yesterday's loss than I did the two previous, because in this one, the guys didn't lose their composure.

Against Winnipeg, they got caught running around, looking for the big hit and were beaten by a more composed Jets team. Against the Wild, they weren't able to recover mentally and emotionally after the multiple 5 on 3's. I don't blame them for giving up goals in those situations, but they pretty much crumbled after the Wild tied it up. You're going to face that sort of adversity in this league and how you respond to it will go a long way towards how you finish when it's all said and done.

I give the boys credit on how they played in Denver. A back to back on the road, right after a demoralizing loss is usually a recipe for another blowout. Yet they showed up and matched one of the best teams in the league, shot for shot. They didn't come out of it with any points, but IMO, that was more a matter of no puck luck, than anything about the way they played.

All of that being said, they need to show up against the Kraken and end this skid, before it gets out of hand.

Well said.

Yesterday was a pretty good game.

Col plays a lot like the Canucks. It was entertaining to see the two similar talented clubs go at it.

If you have to lose, yesterday was somewhat acceptable.

The call against Cole late on was tough to take. Without that light call, maybe the result would have been different. 

On to the next.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

I liked the idea that someone posted earlier about putting Hronek back on PP1. He and Huggy have great communication to begin with and I'd like to see the element of a dangerous point shot injected into the mix. (Think Sami Salo, Al McInnis, etc)

If the opposition has to worry about the point, it should open up the bumper play. Right now, teams are collapsing to the slot and forcing the Canucks to pass around the perimeter, trying to find an opening.

I would probably use the Lotto line up front, with the Hughes-Hronek tandem at the back. Lindholm could move to PP2, which IMO, would make it a bit more dangerous as well.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Agree 100%....

But if you can't beat them, join them... Do we want to win, or continue being the victim? 

Join them how exactly? These clowns have zero consistency and arbitrarily make up calls. And they're protected by the scum at the head of the league. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I want to win, and as Myers said it's hard enough beating one team, but if we antagonise the refs, we know, what comes next.... we've seen the film a few times, and have to find a way to overcome the obstacles...

It's far easier to overcome obstacles when there is a consistency in how the rules are applied. The fact that the officials are objectively poor at their jobs doesn't help. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Y9QUp4=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

lol. Thats why I referenced your other posts throughout the PGT where you continuously complain and call out posters for being too negative. I got the "joke", its just not funny. It's boring to hear you you exaggerate and generalize in order to try and create drama. get some new material.

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Totally agree...

I think, we watch the games with 'homer' glasses on, and are less likely to see murder calls, when they are in our favour, or at least less likely to remember them...  

Problem is not the refereeing is poor, problem is there aren't any better than those referees...

I'm sure over the season some teams gets more calls than others, but doubt its on purpose, and there is no way the NHL tell the refs which team should be in the play offs, and which teams should be penalised....  It would simply not be possible to keep it a secret, and there would be huge repercussions, should anything like that come out in the open... 

Doen't mean we got get the short end of the stick at times, cause we definitely do, but it is, what is it... and we just have to overcome that...

Remember during the bubble playoffs Myers got a ridiculous amount of penalties for cross checking, and yet the team adapted and over came... This is what we have to do again.

The nhl desperately need to take one of the refs and sit them in the press box to audit penalties live. The game is too fast now to process at ice level. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

lol. Thats why I referenced your other posts throughout the PGT where you continuously complain and call out posters for being too negative. I got the "joke", its just not funny. It's boring to hear you you exaggerate and generalize in order to try and create drama. get some new material.

Thank you for reviewing my posts, categorizing them, analysing them through a context lens scaled from boring-to-insightful, converting to a grade-on-the-curve, with a special case for "creating drama" then, this is my assumption now, putting into a spreadsheet to summarize in a pie chart. Perhaps you can post here so I can recalibrate my views on posting, how to reply to posters, what to emoji on versus providing riveting analysis. I would assume further, at the risk of making being too forward - again assuming you haven't already done so, you could extend to earlier games this season. I am flattered you are tracking what I do.

sar·casm
[ˈsärˌkazəm]

NOUN
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt:
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

58 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Because there is no accountability on refs, how many times has the camera caught a ref looking right at a dangerous play right in front of him and ignore it, only to continually make crap weak calls that they do all the time

Remember Burrows and after he spoke out, and that it was open season on him with non calls the rest of his career-Bush league and until fans give up watching, it will be WWF reffing  forever

Exactly. All the league needs to institute is an independent governing body that takes in complaints and reviews game tape to determine if the official made a poor call that affected the game. Officials who are found to be delinquent on a consistent basis are kept out of rotation for games, and demoted. They can work their way back into rotation once they deal with their deficiencies. Instead, the NHL has zero accountability and actively punishes any dissenting voice....almost as if they have something to hide.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Join them how exactly? These clowns have zero consistency and arbitrarily make up calls. And they're protected by the scum at the head of the league. 

It's far easier to overcome obstacles when there is a consistency in how the rules are applied. The fact that the officials are objectively poor at their jobs doesn't help. 

Yes but you have seen the same film as me... 

Last time we called the refs out, it didn't turn out too well for us neither... You say it yourself, they are protected by the head of the league.

If the obstacles were consistent, it wouldn't be an issue... its what happens during playoffs, when the whistles gets put away, or a lot more gets allowed... However, obviously we hope its the same for both sides, when that happens... I'm still pissed off about 2011, but think the Sharks series were even worse... 

If we can't change it, we need to get better.... accept that we get shit calls, and don't start calling out the refs....it just won't work but likely make it worse.

We can sit here a scream murder, and we are right, but once the players or coaches starts to complain about the refereeing, they become targeted... rightfully or wrongfully but it happens,..... and there is not a team in the NHL that will support us, as they all know the scores.

That's how I see it...

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. All the league needs to institute is an independent governing body that takes in complaints and reviews game tape to determine if the official made a poor call that affected the game. Officials who are found to be delinquent on a consistent basis are kept out of rotation for games, and demoted. They can work their way back into rotation once they deal with their deficiencies. Instead, the NHL has zero accountability and actively punishes any dissenting voice....almost as if they have something to hide.

For all the good unions do, this is their biggest down side. Unions protect incompetence. 

• MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well said.

Yesterday was a pretty good game.

Col plays a lot like the Canucks. It was entertaining to see the two similar talented clubs go at it.

If you have to lose, yesterday was somewhat acceptable.

The call against Cole late on was tough to take. Without that light call, maybe the result would have been different. 

On to the next.

I agree that it was a weak call, but as someone said earlier, why put your stick out there and force the ref to make a decision? Just as an example, if Blueger had managed to bury that setup from Bains in the 2nd, Avs fans would be screaming about the "tackle" that preceded it and wasn't called.

IMO, we spend too much time looking for decisions by the officials for reasons that we lost, rather than the decisions of the players. Minny is a good example. three 5 on 3 PPs are ridiculous, but puck over the glass, high stick, etc, are automatic calls. At some point, the players have to take responsibility for their actions.

Bad calls happen to every team. As a fanbase, we become fixated on the ones that go against our team and miss the ones that go against the opposition. TBH, it's gets a bit tiring and it's the main reason I don't spend much time in these threads any more. There is no grand conspiracy against the Canucks. There never has been. Sometimes we end up on the wrong end of a bad call. That's just the way professional sports works....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Reffing has been a factor for years though, and likely will be come playoff time. Gotta find a way to overcome.

As I've said before, when there is a modicum of consistency provided by the league's officials, then overcoming that obstacle is a lot easier. 

You're not wrong, but we're also feeling the impact of injuries a bit more than usual and if anything we were probably overdue for that. We've been uncharacteristically healthy this season. 

Losing Soucy and Joshua has hurt the team. Those two have been as vital to the team's success as anyone on the roster 

The PK was better last night, but the powerplay still looks to be in a funk and it wasn't for a lack of opportunity. We got two cracks at it, Avs only got three. 

The PK has been steadily improving, unfortunately it would seem as the PP is steadily declining. 

We were clearly the better faceoff team but the Avs thoroughly outplayed us in the physical department. Hits were 27 to 15. 

True. We have the horses for that kind of race, but it seems as though the Avs are playing with far more cohesion. The Canucks could use a couple of physical forwards for playoff time. That fourth line is doing nothing much right now. 

9 minutes ago, 24K said:

The nhl desperately need to take one of the refs and sit them in the press box to audit penalties live. The game is too fast now to process at ice level. 

I don't know how the vet the refs... I do think there are discussions going on behind the scenes, if the games get out of hand... The NHL have to protect themselves too a certain extend... 

I agree, that the game is so fast, it's impossible to get all calls right. I think a quick way of doing this, is evaluate each call, or have TV refs do so... the problem is, how much do we want the game stopped and restarted... Its killing the joy of football....

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree that it was a weak call, but as someone said earlier, why put your stick out there and force the ref to make a decision? Just as an example, if Blueger had managed to bury that setup from Bains in the 2nd, Avs fans would be screaming about the "tackle" that preceded it and wasn't called.

IMO, we spend too much time looking for decisions by the officials for reasons that we lost, rather than the decisions of the players. Minny is a good example. three 5 on 3 PPs are ridiculous, but puck over the glass, high stick, etc, are automatic calls. At some point, the players have to take responsibility for their actions.

Bad calls happen to every team. As a fanbase, we become fixated on the ones that go against our team and miss the ones that go against the opposition. TBH, it's gets a bit tiring and it's the main reason I don't spend much time in these threads any more. There is no grand conspiracy against the Canucks. There never has been. Sometimes we end up on the wrong end of a bad call. That's just the way professional sports works....

Agreed.

It was a weak call with very little time left. Happens, and will happen again.

We, the fans might be looking at the refs too much but I doubt our team is. It was not the reason we lost, as I said Col is very talented and built like us. 

Nucks have to play through it and find a way.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

I don't know how the vet the refs... I do think there are discussions going on behind the scenes, if the games get out of hand... The NHL have to protect themselves too a certain extend... 

I agree, that the game is so fast, it's impossible to get all calls right. I think a quick way of doing this, is evaluate each call, or have TV refs do so... the problem is, how much do we want the game stopped and restarted... Its killing the joy of football....

That is what I meant. Audit the penalties and egregious non calls that lead directly to a goal by a TV ref. 

Doesn't have to delay the game much really as most bad penalties is pretty obvious like Miller non high stick and the dive. Goals are audited anyways so that won't be much of an issue. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Thank you for reviewing my posts, categorizing them, analysing them through a context lens scaled from boring-to-insightful, converting to a grade-on-the-curve, with a special case for "creating drama" then, this is my assumption now, putting into a spreadsheet to summarize in a pie chart. Perhaps you can post here so I can recalibrate my views on posting, how to reply to posters, what to emoji on versus providing riveting analysis. I would assume further, at the risk of making being too forward - again assuming you haven't already done so, you could extend to earlier games this season. I am flattered you are tracking what I do.

sar·casm
[ˈsärˌkazəm]

NOUN
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt:
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

Ah yes, exaggeration followed by sarcasm. Thanks for going well out of your way to prove my point.

• chaos 1

It's truly comical how much hate Pettersson gets here.  If he draws a penalty, people here will just call him Bambi and a diver.  All I saw yesterday during the third was a guy fighting his way into the dirty areas and creating chances up front.  Everyone else seemed happy to pass the puck along the boards but Petey was the only guy pushing the pace up the middle.  But he didn't score so he sucks.

Fucking stupid people here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

That is what I meant. Audit the penalties and egregious non calls that lead directly to a goal by a TV ref. 

Doesn't have to delay the game much really as most bad penalties is pretty obvious like Miller non high stick and the dive. Goals are audited anyways so that won't be much of an issue. 

Even better would be to have an independent governing body that reviews calls after the games occur, so that stoppage doesn't affect the game. The review board would receive complaints and then review the call, or lack thereof, and then make a determination based on that. This could include sending repeat offenders out of game rotation, and possibly demote them to a lesser league to work out the kinks in their officiating. That screams accountability though, and that's not a word that the idiot Bettman nor his cronies like. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 24K said:

I agree and yes it shouldn't take too much time, but trust me....it does... and even when the come to a conclusion often its felt like the decisions are the wrong ones... even the pundits in the studios can't agree on whether its the correct or wrong decision... Its a tough tough question, of how much do we want to interfere in the game...