[PGT] Canucks @ Avs -- 3 losses for the 1st time this season

HKSR

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if contract negotiation is affecting his play.. then it’s just the management fans and media’s fault because he said many times he doesn’t want to negotiate during season and we are trying to force him to negotiate 

Not sure you can blame either.  Fans invest a lot into cheering on their star players paying good money for jerseys and game tickets.  They are understandably nervous that he has not really come out and said that he wants to be here.  Management has a lot of free agents to sign and would like to get an idea of how much to it’s going to cost them.  It is what it is and I don’t blame any side for any of it

Pettersson has put himself ahead of the team. With his delay in not re-signing, management isn't able to properly plan ahead. He's also putting extra pressure on himself. It's a distraction. 

What if VAN says $10 and another team walks in and offers $12? Does Allvin let him go?

• Like 1

I find it funny reading so many critical/negative comments. Our team is fairly young, so having these tougher stretches is only going to help prepare the team for the playoffs.

The games against Winnipeg and Colorado have shown me that the team is right there/better than two of the top contending teams in the West. We all know that we'll need to be more disciplined, and much better on our power play. Those two factors are actually very critical for playoff success when emotions are even higher, so it's nice that the team is learning this lesson now.

I'm with all of those comments saying let's take a step back here, and just relax, and just see how the team responds and plays. I fully expect a strong team effort tomorrow against Seattle as they close their road trip.

• Cheers 2

This thread is turning into an exemplary case for why star players don't like playing in Canadian markets lol

...unless your Matthews, Marner and Nylander who leverage the public scrutiny to demand massive contracts. 

Imagine being criticized because of when you'd like to start negotiating your next contract. The Vancouver market is comical, but I guess that's ultimately also the reason why I stick around. Damned if I do, damned if I don't 😅

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

100%...

Zero doubt we can... first time all season we lost 3 in a row... 2 close one and a totally weird one... so what...

Bruins just lost 3 on the spin, guess they'll miss playoffs now... 🙄

Its an extremely tough schedule we are on here... lots of games in a short period of time, with weird starting times and travel etc...

The fact we were severely outhit by Avs, suggests the team is tired... (and of course miss DAKs physicality)...

Get the home to some home cooked meals, rest, hugs from family, and we will see an invigorated team again...

If you include travel days and the AS week

which practically all of our core were part of, we have or will have after the game tmmr, spent only 4 out of 21 days at home.  That’s nuts.  It’s not something I have seen with our team ever.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, coho8888 said:

If you include travel days and the AS week

which practically all of our core were part of, we have or will have after the game tmmr, spent only 4 out of 21 days at home.  That’s nuts.  It’s not something I have seen with our team ever.

Maybe it wasn't a good idea voting in all of our core players. Massive mistake by the fanbase. 

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Pettersson has put himself ahead of the team. With his delay in not re-signing, management isn't able to properly plan ahead. He's also putting extra pressure on himself. It's a distraction.

It is his choice to do that though.

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

What if VAN says $10 and another team walks in and offers $12? Does Allvin let him go?

Well, based on how he's playing, $10M is more than fair. If another team offers $12M, that would be through an offer sheet, I assume, which would net the Canucks four first round picks, which isn't too shabby really. Either that or they could trade him (if it came down to that) for a king's ransom.

Once the off-season comes around, all will be revealed.

Anyone upset at the players here are really overlooking the steller goaltending of georgiev

Absolutely that hooking call was super weak at the end of the game

Absolutely the Avs got away with a ton of sneaky little picks all over the ice

but the score was 2-1 plus an empty netter

both teams played well

Avs got lucky a few times and somehow kept the puck out of the net 3 times when 9 times out of 10 it goes in

Oh and it was the second game of a back to back against a top 5 team in the league

my god, if the canucks didnt lose a game some people would find something to complain about

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is his choice to do that though.

Well, based on how he's playing, $10M is more than fair. If another team offers $12M, that would be through an offer sheet, I assume, which would net the Canucks four first round picks, which isn't too shabby really. Either that or they could trade him (if it came down to that) for a king's ransom.

Once the off-season comes around, all will be revealed.

Personally, I really don't think it's worth all this energy debating Petey's contract until the playoffs come around. That's where we'll really see if he puts his money where his mouth his. 

But if I must opine, I think Nylander's $11.5M really established the range for where Petey's next contract will land - the comparables are too close to ignore. 

10 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

No I'm good. Just trying to help you sort through your feelings to understand why you get so upset and feel the need to attack.

Here is what you are currently doing when reading and responding to posts:

- Reading, immediately disagree with the comments, lash out at the poster calling them "stupid people, fucking idiots etc."

Here are some good options for you when you come across a post that gets you frustrated:

A - Reading, ignoring and moving on

B - Reading, considering the point of view, deciding you disagree and moving on

C - Reading, considering the point of view, deciding you disagree, then presenting a valid counter argument.

D - Reading, considering the point of view, deciding you agree and engaging in a constructive conversation

E - Doing any of the above, but then adding a "reaction" to the post

Take your own advice then and stop engaging with me, then.  It's funny to see you try and lecture me on how to not lecture others.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now it seems like your making assumptions of how people perceive the game, or whether they watched it or not. You do realize that people have different ways that they perceive the same thing, right?

MacKinnon and Makar have achieved something that gives them some leeway with the fans in Colorado, and Canucks fans will watch their players with greater detail than the Avs players due to the fact that they're more emotionally invested in Vancouver's roster, so bringing up MacKinnon and Makar doesn't really add much here. 

Fans are watching Pettersson like helicopter parents.  Maybe that's not a great analogy, but my point is that they're just waiting for Petey to fail.  When he doesn't score, they use it as an example of his poor play, regardless of whether he actually played well or not.  When he does score, they complain about why he can't do that more consistently.

It's not leeway for MacKinnon and Makar.  They had a great game last night but just didn't score.  Astute Avs fans would praise the hard work they put in, and not "give them leeway" for a supposedly poor outing.  Petey had a great game but just didn't score.  The criticism seen here is absurd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Take your own advice then and stop engaging with me, then.  It's funny to see you try and lecture me on how to not lecture others.

Fans are watching Pettersson like helicopter parents.  Maybe that's not a great analogy, but my point is that they're just waiting for Petey to fail.  When he doesn't score, they use it as an example of his poor play, regardless of whether he actually played well or not.  When he does score, they complain about why he can't do that more consistently.

It's not leeway for MacKinnon and Makar.  They had a great game last night but just didn't score.  Astute Avs fans would praise the hard work they put in, and not "give them leeway" for a supposedly poor outing.  Petey had a great game but just didn't score.  The criticism seen here is absurd.

Astute fans?

Absurd criticism? 

Haven't you been around CDC for a while? 

😂

6 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Anyone upset at the players here are really overlooking the steller goaltending of georgiev

Absolutely that hooking call was super weak at the end of the game

Absolutely the Avs got away with a ton of sneaky little picks all over the ice

but the score was 2-1 plus an empty netter

both teams played well

Avs got lucky a few times and somehow kept the puck out of the net 3 times when 9 times out of 10 it goes in

Oh and it was the second game of a back to back against a top 5 team in the league

my god, if the canucks didnt lose a game some people would find something to complain about

Obviously the wheels are far from falling off, but losing 3 in a row sucks.  Whatever expectations we had in September are radically different from our expectations now.  And that's understandable.

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I mean sure if a team is willing to give up 4 1st round picks to facilitate that. But for the 150th time, he's stated he's not opening contract discussions until the season is over. I really don't know why that's so difficult for some people to understand. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Lecture others all you want. My post was about helping you with your anger, and most of all personally attacking those who don't see things the same way you do.  Really a lesson to be applied in life also

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Fans are watching Pettersson like helicopter parents.  Maybe that's not a great analogy, but my point is that they're just waiting for Petey to fail.

Again, that's your perception that you're seemingly extrapolating over the fanbase. I don't see people waiting for Pettersson to fail, rather people unhappy with his play as of late, which is within the purview of a fan to have. Seeing as how he's been referred to often as the future of the franchise, is it really odd to think that fans would focus in on him?

When he doesn't score, they use it as an example of his poor play, regardless of whether he actually played well or not.

What's he been paid to do? He's a predominant forward in the league, let alone the team, so the expectation is that he'll score more often that not. He was defensively solid yesterday, but I've seen him have a more lackadaisical approach in some games past. 

When he does score, they complain about why he can't do that more consistently.

Again, if he's expecting a massive payday, scoring goals is going to be something he'll need to do on a more consistent basis. That's kind of the point. Certainly, his playmaking and defensive play do factor into the overall scope of his capabilities, but he wouldn't be looking at $10M+ a season if he didn't have the reputation of putting up point totals.

You view it as absurd, while others are indifferent, and others see Pettersson as a player who's in a slump, and even others view him as being one-dimensional. It takes all kinds to make the world go around.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I would argue that seeing Petey play a 200 foot game and blocking shots as well as being relied upon as a top producer. Taking coach criticism and working to get better he has put the team ahead of himself. I think he puts a lot of pressure on himself to improve and be a leader on this team, that hasn't changed.

There has been absolutely no delay in not re-signing. The player made it clear he was not negotiating during the season. It is quite actually that simple. Season is over and then open negotiations. He is an RFA there is zero risk of him going elsewhere and if another team was in a position to offer sheet him the Canucks would match.

The Canucks are in no way hampered with further moves or decisions about other free agents by waiting on Petey.

There is no distraction except the constant media and fans wondering out loud or questioning the player's will to remain in Vancouver. Few people listened to him when he said he wants to build a legacy here and less people are listening when he says he likes playing in Vancouver. Is it so hard to respect he and his representation have outlined to the club when they would like to negotiate ? 

Its all good in the hood.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Comox Blaster said:

Our powerplay has to shoot the puck and hope for our lucky bounces.  Stop playing around the perimeter so much.

What’s funny is that Col is even worse att PP than the Canucks.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

It's truly comical how much hate Pettersson gets here.  If he draws a penalty, people here will just call him Bambi and a diver.  All I saw yesterday during the third was a guy fighting his way into the dirty areas and creating chances up front.  Everyone else seemed happy to pass the puck along the boards but Petey was the only guy pushing the pace up the middle.  But he didn't score so he sucks.

Fucking stupid people here.

Not stupid but it’s enough with one poster that has an agenda and some will follow.

I still don’t call it stupid since it’s probably an opinion some has since long before and just need the agenda poster to come and give them courage.

And we must loose for them to show their colours. 

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I didn't expect the team would be able to go an entire season without a losing streak of a few games. The fact that they went this long without doing so, tells you something about the way the team is constructed and coached, IMO....

I feel much better about yesterday's loss than I did the two previous, because in this one, the guys didn't lose their composure.

Against Winnipeg, they got caught running around, looking for the big hit and were beaten by a more composed Jets team. Against the Wild, they weren't able to recover mentally and emotionally after the multiple 5 on 3's. I don't blame them for giving up goals in those situations, but they pretty much crumbled after the Wild tied it up. You're going to face that sort of adversity in this league and how you respond to it will go a long way towards how you finish when it's all said and done.

I give the boys credit on how they played in Denver. A back to back on the road, right after a demoralizing loss is usually a recipe for another blowout. Yet they showed up and matched one of the best teams in the league, shot for shot. They didn't come out of it with any points, but IMO, that was more a matter of no puck luck, than anything about the way they played.

All of that being said, they need to show up against the Kraken and end this skid, before it gets out of hand.

Agree, in this prticular game it was the third line that mattered most.

Col third line scored and then MacKinnon finished.

Similar to when our third line gets a few goals and Petey/Miller finish the game.

19 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Lecture others all you want. My post was about helping you with your anger, and most of all personally attacking those who don't see things the same way you do.  Really a lesson to be applied in life also

That's some condescending bullshit right there

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Put the Lotto Line back together. Let Lindholm lead his own line. Also, Bains has shown he can play in the NHL, even though just one game, he didn't look out of place at all. Looked better than Mikheyev IMO. Give him a shot.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Bains - Lindholm - Hoglander

Mikheyev - Blueger - Garland