[PGT] Canucks @ Avs -- 3 losses for the 1st time this season

HKSR

9 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Not sure I would describe the officials as being ripped to shreds for their frequent mistakes.

The league or the officials don’t field any questions, offer any explanations or answer to any one regarding their errors. In reality they get booed for 5 minutes and then disappear into the night to repeat their performance another day. 

Hell, they don’t even identify themselves pre-game on tv like they used to and they no longer show their names on the jersey. 

No accountability and practically anonymous. I wonder why? 

I'm under the impression, like any job, there's some sort of performance review every season. 

If so some bad or missed calls by the refs would be part of the performance review process.

You know what would be interesting though. If the the Officials association would ask NHL players, coaches anonymous feedback of the Refs. Would be interesting if they did

This recent regression in team performance is something I've seen in teams before; more specifically teams that send multiple players to the ASG.  Instead of a break in schedule for a few days to rest a bit, mend the body and mind, and prepare for the balance of a gruelling 82 game schedule, they get caught up in more travelling and games/contests and come back exhausted instead of rested.  The Canucks had 5 key players (I believe) who fit that category, plus a coach.  I'm not surprised that some of these players seem off their game - and there are 24 crucial games yet to be played, plus the playoffs.  I HATE the ASG !

Cheers image.png.5b7cb2351632c201a32a580f41caed9a.png

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

And I’m saying he’s guarded pretty well by the other teams. The thinking hard and griping stick is your own mind thinking. 

So he needs a player around him that can cause a bit of havoc or a Hughes that can divert interest from him.

Every single one of the top players need that.

So if you think Petey can’t reach his potential it’s because of the support players. 

Can you name one player today that can handle everything himself? 

Demko

3 minutes ago, Singing Chef said:

This recent regression in team performance is something I've seen in teams before; more specifically teams that send multiple players to the ASG.  Instead of a break in schedule for a few days to rest a bit, mend the body and mind, and prepare for the balance of a gruelling 82 game schedule, they get caught up in more travelling and games/contests and come back exhausted instead of rested.  The Canucks had 5 key players (I believe) who fit that category, plus a coach.  I'm not surprised that some of these players seem off their game - and there are 24 crucial games yet to be played, plus the playoffs.  I HATE the ASG !

Cheers image.png.5b7cb2351632c201a32a580f41caed9a.png

This is just awesome, to have these stacked teams to play against going into the playoffs.

Its going to humble them.

Its going to refine them.

Its going to get them back to today, the now, not the tomorrow or the yesterday.

4 hours ago, Bardown said:

I think you hit the nail on the head....and I see the bolded area as a concern. When Petey came here, he spoke of wanting to be the best, along the way, it seems he's happy to be a point producer over winner and there is a difference. If you want 12 mil you have to be BOTH, and that means driving play in the hard games. Miller and Hughes have been consistently driving play in the HARD games....Petey disappears. I think he's happy with money and noteriety....

It's interesting how Rutherford and Allvin both said when they got here, this team has no "stars". Miller, Hughes, Demko heard that as "you haven't proven a thing"...I don't think Petey has the same attitude.

I also agree, Management is watching these games and seeing the same issues and won't give him "Whatever he wants"...which could lead to some tension. I think his playoff performance is going to be a key driver of his money...and if his play in tough games is any indication, he's def not getting what he thinks he's worth.

That's the thing right. If he believes he deserves the money, but management doesn't, then a trade really is the only way forward. Especially if neither will budge. I agree that Petey probably doesn't have the same attitude as Miller, Hughes and Demko. Those guys really want to win. I don't get the sense that's the case with Pettersson. Like he's said that he wants to play for a winner. But something doesn't seem to be aligned. What he says, doesn't seem to match with what he means. 

I thought that before maybe Petey deserves whatever he's asking for. But your right. I think this postseason is really going to dictate whether he gets close to what he wants, or if there's going to be a hard negotiation, and that could hurt Petey's ego, as well as his relationship with the team moving forward. If that's the case, I don't expect him to be here long term. Who would have thought eh? I thought maybe Pettersson was the guy who would've wanted to be here long term and commit and Miller as the guy who pursued the money. But it seems like it's the opposite. I mean, I could be completely wrong of course, it's just what it feels like. 

Yeah, that's curious too about Rutherford and Allvin's comments on that there are no stars on the team, when there are stars on the team. Hughes is a star. In fact, we have six all-stars on the team. I wonder why management made those comments? 

Question on a Scenario - assuming Bettman doesn't shit a brick

From below, it reads a player can be loaned to a minor league team (presumably Abby for our Canucks), collect his NHL salary.  Could the Canucks place both Dak and Soucy (already there) on LTIR and keep them both there until April 3rd whereby they could be "loaned" on a conditioning stint to Abby AND (most importantly) their cap hit does not count from here until the end of season.

Then they would be both ready for playoffs and the full benefit of their cap hit would be available to facilitate a trade for an impact player. Is my understanding of the rule / scenario accurate?

NHL Conditioning Assignment Rules

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Edited by Rocket-68

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

From below, it reads a player can be loaned to a minor league team (presumably Abby for our Canucks), collect his NHL salary.  Could the Canucks place both Dak and Soucy (already there) on LTIR and keep them both there until April 3rd whereby they could be "loaned" on a conditioning sting to Abby AND (most importantly) their cap hit does not count from here until the end of season.

Then they would be both ready for playoffs? Is my understanding of the rule / scenario accurate?

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

I'm going to defer to other posters on here, because I don't understand it myself. lol. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm going to defer to other posters on here, because I don't understand it myself. lol. 

Expanded my question a bit for clarity but not sure if I understand how to cheat / game the system correctly.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

You got a link for that?  Are you sure your source isn't your imagination?

I know you gonna split hair on this so really no point even replying but here you go anyways. 

No one really know what he want outside of management, his agent and himself. 

We have to rely on best available insider we have to the team and this is what IMac wrote. 

Nylander’s new contract averages $11.5 million, comes with a full no-movement clause over its eight years and is fairly buyout-proof due to heavy signing bonuses. That $11.5-mil AAV doesn’t set the price of Pettersson’s next contract; it will be a launching point.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/we-want-to-keep-petey-here-pettersson-deal-still-a-priority-for-canucks-allvin/sn-amp/

38 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

From below, it reads a player can be loaned to a minor league team (presumably Abby for our Canucks), collect his NHL salary.  Could the Canucks place both Dak and Soucy (already there) on LTIR and keep them both there until April 3rd whereby they could be "loaned" on a conditioning stint to Abby AND (most importantly) their cap hit does not count from here until the end of season.

Then they would be both ready for playoffs and the full benefit of their cap hit would be available to facilitate a trade for an impact player. Is my understanding of the rule / scenario accurate?

interesting thought, but DAK does not gain much and I think we are spending Soucy's Cap in the LTIR which we would lose in this scenario.

The LTIR cap space would have to be there till regular season ends.

And DAK cant make the LTIR before the TDL so there is no point, even retroactive. But I am not a Cap lawyer or expert. I just wish Mik was already on LTIR for a full recovery

9 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Answer?  They're supposed to have some one up high that can call down (the dude you never see and isn't announced)

We've got a 4 second video that shows the puck was wedged between DeSmith's skate and Hronek's for about half a second if that. That's not frozen, smothered or controlled. I'd have loved a whistle there myself but if the ref can see it and it can be popped loose without something resembling significant force to the goalie, it's a live puck.

People really need to stop crying over this. Can bet you the players aren't

Edited by Steamer4GM
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I know you gonna split hair on this so really no point even replying but here you go anyways. 

We have to rely on best available insider we have to the team and this is what IMac wrote. 

Nylander’s new contract averages $11.5 million, comes with a full no-movement clause over its eight years and is fairly buyout-proof due to heavy signing bonuses. That $11.5-mil AAV doesn’t set the price of Pettersson’s next contract; it will be a launching point.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/we-want-to-keep-petey-here-pettersson-deal-still-a-priority-for-canucks-allvin/sn-amp/

Ian McIntire can hire Petey. There you go

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

McDavid also needs Draisatl and others to not get nullified.

Haven’t you seen that? 
I’ve seen the Canucks nullify McDavid a lot.

So you say that McDavid should get 12 because he gets nullified from time to time and Petey 10?  
Do you believe McDavid settles for 12? 

I can agree that McDavid is probably worth 2 mill more than Petey.

Fair enough. Thought McDavid was not playing with Draistle. Guess new coach changed that.

That said any player gets nullified say 90% of the time otherwise nhl would be scoring galore. We are arguing between the 1 to 2% of the time that differentiate the cream of the crop and the elites. 

The cost between those few percentage at the top end goes up exponentially like any other job. The salary increase between a director and senior manager is enormous even though the actual day to day are proportionally more demanding. 

I am done with the Petey talk. I have been consistent that I don't really care what happens to him. If he wants to stay great. If he wants to ask for the moon and/of force our hands to love him, great also. 

Edited by 24K

Just now, 24K said:

Fair enough. Thought McDavid was not playing with Draistle. Guess new coach changed that.

That said any player gets nullified say 90% of the time otherwise nhl would be scoring galore. We are arguing between the 1 to 2% of the time that differentiate the cream of the crop and the elites. 

The cost between those few percentage at the top end goes up exponentially like any other job. The salary increase between a director and senior manager is enormous even though the actual day to day are not that different. 

And as seen the other night, it was a fight between wich third line was best because the other top players nullified each other.

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

Would the Canucks pay Nylander $11.5? No. Would they pay BOOOOWWWW HORVAT 8, or 8.5? NO. I dont know why anyone thinks Petterson is worth more than 2 Demko's.

If another team wants to pay $11 yeah we do the trade, the picks the whatever. He is an RFA so we get him another year. If he wants to keep sucking, he can do that too

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I'm not sure if the conditioning stint has any cap effect. Trying to read it but it seems like it doesn't. IR has no effect on cap, only LTIR does.

Assigning brings up the buried contract provisions and waivers, and i think that's what the conditioning loan seems to be about, sidestepping those for a short period but it doesn't affect cap (as either ltir so already cap effect or no effect).

So its possible to keep them in shape while on LTIR. Maybe you can retro josh? 

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • chaos 1

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Petey disappears in big games. 

Puts up the multi-point games on the average to weaker teams, but when the going gets tough, he is no where to be found.

Its been a pattern all season long with him...piles a bunch of points in a game and then isn't to be found the next few games.

I’m concerned about him in the playoffs 

image.thumb.jpeg.146f65fcb74b738854c6e36fd277406a.jpeg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You are absolutely correct.

It seems like some pundits and Imacs and others are getting $500 bucks every time they post his Cap should be over $10 mil.

I think Petey is holding back because he is embarrassed about this valuation. I dont think he wants that much more than Miller.

He knows that to have a winning team there has got to be a balanced budget. He is from Sweden. Not a greedy place, a Balanced place.

Edited by VintageActualCanuckfan

21 hours ago, Dom said:

I'll be the first to say I'm more than in a panic. We simply cannot beat the big heavy contenders. We'll beat Seattle and then lose again to Boston Saturday night to further prove this point. 

The Canucks have a winning record against the " contenders " this year.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1