[PGT] Canucks @ Avs -- 3 losses for the 1st time this season

HKSR

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nobody should be trying to run a powerplay like the Sedins did they’re completely unique players.

This team should not be cycling the puck. They have too many skilled playmakers and shooters.

Just keep loading up the one timers. Doesn’t matter if there’s bodies there, sometimes you get a lucky bounce, sometimes you take a player out of the play, sometimes you create chaos and pick up the rebound.

A shot is always your best play. They kill way more time looking for the perfect play than they do taking a shot and collecting the rebound.

Yep that is the problem. Our PP are all trying to be the Sedins. 

Edited by 24K
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

For a silver lining, I present:

1) Right in there all the way through the game

2) Last team to be saddled with the moniker "3 losses in a row"

3) Throwing away the Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild / Ref Fusion, the success over the last "while" has been with a Power Play that has been in a wee bit of a tailspin, yes we scored one yesterday.

4) Bains looks like he belongs (very short sample size yes) and if coaches give him a few more games to prove it then all the bitching and moaning about jettisoning some Cap Space will be much easy for PA / JR to manage knowing there is a capable low cost player to fill in a spot that one of the pricier players is currently occupying - Hello Cap Space my old friend, I so wanted to love you long time again, 

5) Once the PP donkey cart that is currently keeled over on its side gets righted, then salads will be coming back with a vengance

On the last one, perhaps finding a power play coach might be the ticket - although adding this late in the season my be too much. Neville Brown worked wonders with the 2010-2011 team and the skill on this team isn't dogshit compared to that team for PP.

6) Flying Phil might just be signed 

7) Trades incoming for a Cam Neely type player (well, maybe not that good of a player) given point (4) - let him prove he stays coaches.

GO CANUCKS GO!

I’d still like to see Podz get a chance. He COULD be a plug and play replacement for DJ.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

8 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Thought he was the special teams coach?

Yeo is PK coach.  Tocchet does PP1 Sedins work with PP2.  But Sedins are only there during home stand.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I’d still like to see Podz get a chance. He COULD be a plug and play replacement for DJ.

Maybe as a black ace in playoffs.  

I think they want him to stay in AHL the entire year to develop, like Hoggy did last yr.  

He should be challenging for a roster spot next season.  

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yep is PK coach.  Tocchet does PP1 Sedins work with PP2.  But Sedins are only there during home stand.  

If Tocchet is telling them to shoot more and they’re not it’s time to start taking players off the powerplay plain and simple.

The recipe for success is so obvious I’m honestly stunned players who seem to have pretty high hockey IQ continue to do the same thing.

Like how is Boeser even being utilized on the powerplay? As a passer? Do we even try the bumper play?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hronek NEEDS to be on PP1!!!  Having him at the point will mean the opposition needs to be aware of his shot.  It'll likely force the defender forwards higher up which opens the middle of the ice for cross seam passes.  Right now, they know the shot is coming from Petey or Miller 99% of the time so they clog up the middle and nothing gets through.  So they end up passing it around hoping for a seam to open, and then bobble it, and down the ice it goes.  So Damm frustrating when the coach has the tools in his arsenal.  Just piss poor deployment right now.

Exactly! Then let hughes roam and create space.

• Like 1

Although it was a loss, at least we aren't talking about the refs like yesterday's fiasco with four 2-man advantages. I wanted a game with a bit less emphasis on specialty teams and got it - allows us to see where the team stands. The Av's are a very good team (think they are no 1 or 2 ranking) and the game was not lopsided where Demko had to save 2X as many shots as Georgiev  - judging from tonight without all the penalties, think the team needs a bit of tweaking - they still need some 3rd-4th line contributions along with a rugged D.  

They also need to get the PP going as even in the playoffs, you can expect 2-3 opportunities so can make the most of it.  Juhlsen needs to slow down a bit - even near the end of this game, he was making some errors in coverage - he needs to settle down a bit and not think he has to be all world with either hitting everyone + becoming the next Jovo.  Just play the steady tougher game he did about 2 weeks ago.

Hope to the see the same effort / detail in Seattle.

Just Win.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

If Tocchet is telling them to shoot more and they’re not it’s time to start taking players off the powerplay plain and simple.

The recipe for success is so obvious I’m honestly stunned players who seem to have pretty high hockey IQ continue to do the same thing.

Like how is Boeser even being utilized on the powerplay? As a passer? Do we even try the bumper play?

They are over thinking it. That is why I want plugs on the pp now. They won't overthink. 

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Maybe as a black ace in playoffs.  

I think they want him to stay in AHL the entire year to develop, like Hoggy did last yr.  

He should be challenging for a roster spot next season.  

If he’s ready, why wait? He played half of last year in AHL too. We need a player of his skill set, and he’d be free.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 24K said:

They are over thinking it. That is why I want plugs on the pp now. They won't overthink. 

I would replace Boeser and Pettersson at this point.

Pointless to have them out there if they’re not gonna use their best weapon.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yep that is the problem. Our PP are all trying to be the Sedins. 

Too much swedish finesse play will never win a cup!   giphy.gif

This franchise has proven that over the last 25 years with swedish finesse players at the forefront!   

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He looked so nervous in 1st period. Once he loosened up, he looked good. He definitely brought more than Lafferty.

I like his chemistry with Bleuger

He fed him a couple of grade A chances.  If Bleuger could've finished, he would have gotten his NHL point.   I think there is something there to keep him on that line until Dakota is back. 

I also noticed how he wasn't afraid to play physical with Makar and not get beaten.  

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That's what I want to see more of.

50 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I agree that it’s a dive but given what’s been going on, why the hell does Cole need to put his stick there?  Just gives them an excuse to call it

Give me a break. Happens all the time, putting the stick in front of the opposing player to slow him down a bit. If our players aren't allowed to do basic things to defend, it's time to fold the team.

This was an absolute horseshit call at any time, and even worse with under 5 mins left.

Be interesting if the DOPeS give out any embellishment fines, but I'm not counting on it.

Edited by Kragar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would replace Boeser and Pettersson at this point.

Pointless to have them out there if they’re not gonna use their best weapon.

If anything, they need to completely re-jig those two PP units.  Put two strong forwards on each unit with QH and Horn-wreck QB'ing each unit with two of our better 2nd/3rd line players.   The current set-up with the top dogs all on PP1 - is a failure - and will be our achiles heel in the playoffs.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I recall Boeser on the right wall in his rookie year.

Get Boeser and Pete to swap sides..it’s not like the off hand side will be any more of a detriment. 

i also agree with HKSR , put Hronek out there the opposing team will respect his shot. Nothing wrong with two offensive minded d men out on the pp at same time. 

hell try anything at this point. Zadorov in front of the net a la chara. 

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hronek NEEDS to be on PP1!!!  Having him at the point will mean the opposition needs to be aware of his shot.  It'll likely force the defender forwards higher up which opens the middle of the ice for cross seam passes.  Right now, they know the shot is coming from Petey or Miller 99% of the time so they clog up the middle and nothing gets through.  So they end up passing it around hoping for a seam to open, and then bobble it, and down the ice it goes.  So Damm frustrating when the coach has the tools in his arsenal.  Just piss poor deployment right now.

You want us to run a 2-3 umbrella PP - a tried and true technique that's been used for decades.  It favours shot volume and we certainly have guys who can shoot the puck.  But it sacrifices seam-passes and any opportunities in the high slot.  Reference: we are currently using a 1-3-1, the most common PP structure in the NHL.  More passes, higher quality shots.  I might post a topic discussing this soon.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1