[PGT] Canucks @ Avs -- 3 losses for the 1st time this season

HKSR

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think he’s still getting comfortable. Honestly Hoglander has been more of that player.

Pettersson is just killing plays every time he’s out there. He’s not playing with instinct it’s like you can see him overthinking every play.

If his contract negotiations are effecting his play he’s being pretty selfish to be honest. He’s putting himself before the team. 

He seems to have these swings. Like they're mood swings. He'll have a stretch where he's playing great, but then have these stretches where he's playing really poorly. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

He seems to have these swings. Like they're mood swings. He'll have a stretch where he's playing great, but then have these stretches where he's playing really poorly. 

It’s all between his ears.

Wonder if the team employs a sports psychologist. Maybe he could use one.

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If anything, they need to completely re-jig those two PP units.  Put two strong forwards on each unit with QH and Horn-wreck QB'ing each unit with two of our better 2nd/3rd line players.   The current set-up with the top dogs all on PP1 - is a failure - and will be our achiles heel in the playoffs.

Too stagnant, needs more movement, especially across the center of the zone to disrupt the PKers and open up more space

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Petey disappears in big games. 

Puts up the multi-point games on the average to weaker teams, but when the going gets tough, he is no where to be found.

Its been a pattern all season long with him...piles a bunch of points in a game and then isn't to be found the next few games.

I wouldn't go that far, here is a breakdown of Petey's play on a per game basis --> https://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/4233566/elias-pettersson

Teams he got 0 points against COLx2, WPG, CHIx2, BOS, STLx3, BUF, PHIx2, DAL, MINx2, TB, VGK, SEA, SJ, MTL, NSH ... 21 games

Auston Matthews got blanked in 17 games, is he dog shit over a quarter to a third of the season? https://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/4024123/auston-matthews

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Lafferty is a great 4th liner. What the team needs to do is find another top 6 player (Podz, bains, trade??) and get Suter as the 4th C. A 4th line of Mik-Suter-Lafferty is awesome; totally allows you to balance minutes across all 4 lines. Perfect scenario:

Podz-Petterson-Hogs

Bains-Miller-Boeser

Blueger-Lindholm-Garland

Mik-Suter-Lafferty

Not saying Bains or Podz slide into those roles, but one could dream. Even if one stuck, it’s one less spot we need to look at before TDL.

Exactly my thoughts... Roll 3 lines with 3 top C's in Petey, Miller and Lindholm!! Not sure if Suter is an effective centre but I'd love to see a 4th line with Bains - Blueger - Lafferty!

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Tocchet is telling them to shoot more and they’re not it’s time to start taking players off the powerplay plain and simple.

The recipe for success is so obvious I’m honestly stunned players who seem to have pretty high hockey IQ continue to do the same thing.

Like how is Boeser even being utilized on the powerplay? As a passer? Do we even try the bumper play?

Problem is everyone passes looking for the perfect play. They did find it though as Hughes hit the crossbar and the pp did nothing else after. Powerplay needs more urgency. Maybe try Hronek on pp1 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Team played much better defensively. Colorado got two lucky bounces.

Hronek has gotta find a way to bury that. Out wait the shot blockers and then just wrist it in.

The problem is that Hronek choose to try a snap shot rather than a wrist or a pass back to Hughes.  That was a braindead move, nobody ever slap shot at an open net opportunity which will take a second to get a block.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Petey disappears in big games. 

Puts up the multi-point games on the average to weaker teams, but when the going gets tough, he is no where to be found.

Its been a pattern all season long with him...piles a bunch of points in a game and then isn't to be found the next few games.

Go look at the first Eastern road trip of the year then get back to me. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Hronek NEEDS to be on PP1!!!  Having him at the point will mean the opposition needs to be aware of his shot.  It'll likely force the defender forwards higher up which opens the middle of the ice for cross seam passes.  Right now, they know the shot is coming from Petey or Miller 99% of the time so they clog up the middle and nothing gets through.  So they end up passing it around hoping for a seam to open, and then bobble it, and down the ice it goes.  So Damm frustrating when the coach has the tools in his arsenal.  Just piss poor deployment right now.

Exactly this. He has a cannon. Can't believe we haven't been leaning more on his shot. I've been saying this from day one. They have other options at their disposal to mix things up, be unpredictable yet still be deadly.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty obvious we need a guy thats willing to drive the net. Too much perimeter play on the powerplay. They need to add a guy that makes a living scoring greasy goals in tight.

Maybe theres an opening for Podkolzin still.

Or Linus Karlsson

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Don’t think we’ve had much practice time  since the AS Break.  Shows on our PP.  Soucy and Joshua are more important to our team than we think

Every loss without him increases Joshua's value

I think if we get Kessel in here and get one more veteran top six forward who knows how to win in these kinds of situations we'll be fine. People forget we're still a young team learning how to win on the fly. It'll come. Just give it time. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 24K said:

Oh let us also not forget this is the 3rd straight game reffing has been hot garbage and biased against us. 

I was listening Halford and Brough on Sportsnet 650 and they brought this topic on officiating. (Praphrasing) 

It was a long discussion in response to the loss at Minnesota (you can view it in the Podcast on Spotify) but basically and paraphrasing, while they feel the fanbase can point out questionable calls (or non-calls) from time to time, he does feel the fanbase has too much of a "victim mentality" and should stop thinking the refs are intentionally doing malice against the Canucks.

Plus the focus needs to be on the team and not the officiating since officiating is going to change in the final stretch of the season and playoffs 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. He has a cannon. Can't believe we haven't been leaning more on his shot. I've been saying this from day one. They have other options at their disposal to mix things up, be unpredictable yet still be deadly.

We've become predictable and non deadly, try something different 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think if we get Kessel in here and get one more veteran top six forward who knows how to win in these kinds of situations we'll be fine. People forget we're still a young team learning how to win on the fly. It'll come. Just give it time. 

I agree, adding Kessel and another Kessel like player would work wonders in the dressing room 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I agree, adding Kessel and another Kessel like player would work wonders in the dressing room 

I've been saying and I know it's a bit of a long shot but...

Logan Couture :classic_ninja: