[PGT] Vancouver at Seattle

PhillipBlunt

Not gonna lie wouldn’t mind if we trade Petey. We could get some major pieces.

He’s been getting physically dominated for a while now and playoffs will be much worse. Once the cheap shots and cross checks start it’s only a matter of time before he gets injured with his frame and is completely ineffective. 

Committing $12 million to him is kinda risky with how much he disappears. Isn’t the first time he’s done this for a long period of time. If he does this in the playoffs we’re done!

I remember when he joined the league and had a fire in him to be the best in the league. That seems to be completely gone.

I can see the rumours about him not wanting to sign here because of the market/attention/media being too much for him, now that’s it’s come out Nucks offered him 12 mill before the season started.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I don’t know why I have this bad feeling that Boston is going to steam roll us on Saturday. We’re gonna get creamed like a Boston pie no pun intended with the way we’re playing

Yes, they may get steam rolled if they make the same errors as seen this past week - especially in the special teams / defensive coverage areas.  Opposing teams have been driving to their net with purpose all week - the box outs  and zone coverage in front has to improve - or yes, this game may not be very close.   I can't see how teams are able to drive with so much consistency recently - its not that the Canucks D is small either.

In terms of offense, I think they need to get back to the greasy goals (like to see PDG and Lafferty drive to the net like they did the in past) - like the goal Lafferty scored tonight..  If the PP continues to falter, really need to try something different (including a bigger net presence up front - maybe Big Z)

Hope the players get the rest tonight as they look "totally spent" - and refocus against the Bruins - interesting  to see both LA and Vegas lose at home tonight so not as much damage with the loss. 

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

9 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

He’s been getting physically dominated for a while now and playoffs will be much worse. Once the cheap shots and cross checks start it’s only a matter of time before he gets injured with his frame and is completely ineffective. 

Committing $12 million to him is kinda risky with how much he disappears. Isn’t the first time he’s done this for a long period of time. If he does this in the playoffs we’re done!

I remember when he joined the league and had a fire in him to be the best in the league. That seems to be completely gone.

I can see the rumours about him not wanting to sign here because of the market/attention/media being too much for him, now that’s it’s come out Nucks offered him 12 mill before the season started.

Ya a trade might be good

He does disappear in tough games and if he can’t handle the tough games… well…

who would you trade him to and for what?

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

39 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its really sad that missing a third liner winger and a bottom pairing dman causes the team to lose its total structure and staples in the game. Joshua and Soucy are important pieces, but this team has enough talent and players with the work ethic to get the job done.

I think the top players namely Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, and Hronek need to give their balls a tug. IMO.

Well I think Soucy's a more valuable player than just a "3rd pair guy" considering we're 16-4-5 with him in the line up as opposed to 21-11-1 without him 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

8 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

We were pretty much out of the playoff picture at this point last year, yet the sky is falling because we’ve lost 4 in a row but we’re still 1st in the NHL.

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

Tomorrow’s Province (some of us old farts still read these, they’re called newspapers in case u didn’t recognize it)

IMG_3222.jpeg

Edited by Captkirk888
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

We were pretty much out of the playoff picture at this point last year, yet the sky is falling because we’ve lost 4 in a row but we’re still 1st in the NHL.

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

I will probably say that the big contrast in the previous two seasons is that the team started winning games when the games were meaningless

Likewise before the COVID paise around this time in 2020 the team, who were top 3 in the division for most of the season, began to drop a string of games. 

I mean you are right it's too early to tell but you don't want a repeat of the the 2020 season prior to the pause and a reverse of their late season performances the last 2 years. 

Because if it does you start to think of this core has what it takes to win when the games do matter and the pressure mounts. 

This must be the 2nd worst game they played all year. They have been playing crap since Joshua's injury. 

After the game, Toch's mentioned there are at least 5 players that were no show's...care to take a shot at who those 5 players are? 

No one showed up for another fight after Tanev took on one of our smallest player to a fight....sad to see no response from that from the team. 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Upvote 1

Boy this team is tired and rightly so, they need a break. Don't really get one before the Boston game but at least going home will be nice.

Something's got to give, I'll chalk this 4 game skid up to fatigue but if it keeps compounding we're in trouble. You see teams drop off all the time around now and we're doing just that.

So far I haven't been happy with Lindholm, another -2 on the night with Petey and he's got what, 6 points in 10 games and is a -5. Everyone's out here saying he's an 8M Selke-candidate forward but I just see a guy who got bought low yet we overpaid for him and he's not really producing despite playing with All-stars. Again, I know it's early and he's still settling in, but you have to scrutinize these trades and players, especially when we give up so many pieces for what's considered a rental. Devil's advocate, but...I wonder what Vancouver and Calgary's records are like with and without Lindholm because from memory, it's not good with him in the lineup for whatever reason. He's had two really good games with us and the rest have been trash, and people are out here defending him saying he's a top line 8M center? Same could be said for Petey to a degree but he's still producing points and looks like he's going to hit 90-100pts whereas Lindholm has been scoring at a 60 point pace for a long time now. Minus 5 on the top team in the league is a joke.

Obviously Mikheyev has sucked for a while and is finally getting scrutinized but only really since Kuzmenko was traded, before that he was quite a scapegoat. Glad to see him get benched but he needs to be scratched for a while and honestly, with PA's trigger finger, traded.

The problem runs a lot deeper than that though, we need some practices and some rests to get back into playing our hockey because tonight was shambles again getting outplayed and outshot by such an average team.

Hughes and Hronek have looked really tired as well the last 4 games, they still look like a top pairing but shadows of their former selves.

This team needs a break, need to regroup and get some rest and then build some good trainings from that. Now's a key time for Tocchet and the coaching staff to see how they manage this broken group and sadly there's no time to rest with Boston in town. Maybe it'll be the perfect energy shot/wakeup call but if we're sluggish we're going to get pounded again.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NucksNation said:

Sounds like a lindholm deal from Calgary at 9m and he declined. Hopefully petey is not holding out for more money the way he is playing now.. keeps changing sticks for whatever reason..... should of traded mik instead of kuz... 

8 minutes ago, mikey said:

Sounds like a lindholm deal from Calgary at 9m and he declined. Hopefully petey is not holding out for more money the way he is playing now.. keeps changing sticks for whatever reason..... should of traded mik instead of kuz... 

how is kuz doing in Calgary…?

Petey is 90lbs wet… dude won’t be able to handle a rough playoff series…

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boy this team is tired and rightly so, they need a break. Don't really get one before the Boston game but at least going home will be nice.

Something's got to give, I'll chalk this 4 game skid up to fatigue but if it keeps compounding we're in trouble. You see teams drop off all the time around now and we're doing just that.

So far I haven't been happy with Lindholm, another -2 on the night with Petey and he's got what, 6 points in 10 games and is a -5. Everyone's out here saying he's an 8M Selke-candidate forward but I just see a guy who got bought low yet we overpaid for him and he's not really producing despite playing with All-stars. Again, I know it's early and he's still settling in, but you have to scrutinize these trades and players, especially when we give up so many pieces for what's considered a rental. Devil's advocate, but...I wonder what Vancouver and Calgary's records are like with and without Lindholm because from memory, it's not good with him in the lineup for whatever reason. He's had two really good games with us and the rest have been trash, and people are out here defending him saying he's a top line 8M center? Same could be said for Petey to a degree but he's still producing points and looks like he's going to hit 90-100pts whereas Lindholm has been scoring at a 60 point pace for a long time now. Minus 5 on the top team in the league is a joke.

Obviously Mikheyev has sucked for a while and is finally getting scrutinized but only really since Kuzmenko was traded, before that he was quite a scapegoat. Glad to see him get benched but he needs to be scratched for a while and honestly, with PA's trigger finger, traded.

The problem runs a lot deeper than that though, we need some practices and some rests to get back into playing our hockey because tonight was shambles again getting outplayed and outshot by such an average team.

Hughes and Hronek have looked really tired as well the last 4 games, they still look like a top pairing but shadows of their former selves.

This team needs a break, need to regroup and get some rest and then build some good trainings from that. Now's a key time for Tocchet and the coaching staff to see how they manage this broken group and sadly there's no time to rest with Boston in town. Maybe it'll be the perfect energy shot/wakeup call but if we're sluggish we're going to get pounded again.

Mik and Aman are second stringers.

Just on the bus for the ride. God forbid they should actually throw a body check much less score a fuckin goal.

Our PP has been bad for a while but since Kuzmenko left they really moved the strategy around a lot. Lindholm is a great net front presence but for some reason it just doesn't work with these players. Miller, Boeser and Petey are fantastic passers, can shoot really well and zip it around the periphery nicely to open up shots and plays. Kuzmenko to be fair played into this role nicely.

When we had Bo it was a lot of peripheral passing and setting up the bumper shot which worked a treat.

When we had Kuzmenko he would basically hover around the side of the net and just keep passing the puck around to the skilled guys.

Now we've got Lindholm we're a bit lost, we're operating a PP the way bottom half teams do, and not using our top-end skill.

We should pick one system and stick to it. If we want to use Lindholm's good net front presence then we should be focussing on more point shots and traffic. Get Hronek out there and have Hughes feed him one-timers and crash the net with lots of screens.

If we want to use our skilled guys (Petey, Brock and Miller) then don't worry about screens or tips too much but keep the puck moving loads, really mobile, and have Lindholm drift out a bit more to pass the puck around quicker (the way Kuzmenko did) or put someone gritty like Suter or even Garland out there who can help with that.

Then we could use the 2nd PP as more of a screen/point shot system (Lindholm and Hronek).

One thing we've never utilised properly is Hronek's bomb from the point. The guy had a bunch of goals last year but we've just ignored him and deployed him as more of a defensive guy. We could really mix things up with having him on the point. I know not many teams like 2 defencemen on the PP nowadays, but we've got 2 of the best defencemen in the league so why not? Could plant Hronek on the point, have Hughes just rotate around everywhere, Petey and Miller on the side boards and Lindholm planted in front (or Boeser).

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Boston gonna whoop our asses

Like a redheaded stepchild?   (Mr. Garrison)

Get that good will is tough to build (back) as a fan.    Was waiting for the other shoe to drop in  November.   It did kind of once Soucy was out, Allvin reacted quick enough.    We know this team is good.    All this worry about how we will do in the playoffs.    

NHL.com moved us down to number two, Florida bumped us in the power rankings, after 3 losses in a row.    That's, IF the playoffs started right now, how they think we will do.   Ahead of the rest of the pack.   Funny how we have this thing about the Eastern bias.   Yet out here (between OTT and MTL), the envy going our way is very real.   TO fans have a lot in common with us.   They also feel slighted.    Like Jobe in the desert, burdened by history, a half century of suffrage.    

Let's give them a little credit.    Certainly rather that Allvin is given a little time before the deadline to tweak along the edges.   It's obvious to me (and others have joined in the past month), we need another big body upfront .   Joshua going down makes that even clearer.  

And a depth NHL defenseman.   That won't cost the farm.     

Thankfully, the teams chasing us in the West have mostly had a rough go of it lately too.  

PDO?   Nah. 

Tochett has to be pissed about one of his non-negotiable's getting screwed with last night.   Millers goals are getting wasted.   He's not stopping.       They need to be mentally strong, and stick to the system.   Getting to the post season, is for the worthy.   This team has  proved they are worthy.    Have zero clue how things will go from there.    Could go very, very well for us. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1