[PGT] Vancouver at Seattle

PhillipBlunt

Bains was just okay, but has a lot to learn. I'm guessing he'll be back in Abby soon. Great experience for him and will motivate him.

Allvin needs to make some trades.

I'd be okay if they traded Petey, if the return was right. 

The Garland fight was an embarrassment to the Canucks, but good on him for having some heart.

Team looks broken. I guess the "stars" had too much fun in Toronto. 

• MillerTime 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Bains was just okay, but has a lot to learn. I'm guessing he'll be back in Abby soon. Great experience for him and will motivate him.

Allvin needs to make some trades.

I'd be okay if they traded Petey, if the return was right. 

The Garland fight was an embarrassment to the Canucks, but good on him for having some heart.

Team looks broken. I guess the "stars" had too much fun in Toronto. 

Ya that Garland fight felt the way the Canucks have played at times this road trip. Pummeled in areas of our game. At least he showed he cared. Someone as big as Zads and at times he doesn’t do much physically out there. That top 6 still needs some hunger and tenacity in it. Too many of the same type of player. Miller is the only difference.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They were bound to regress sooner or later, better now than playoff time

Yes the shooting percentage was always going to come down but that’s when you need to work harder. A lot of the time right now it looks like a team who had everything go easy and now they are being pressured to work harder to score and aren’t showing up.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canadian_Kanga said:

I swear Elias could have an open net for 30 seconds...and still take 29 secs to get off a shot.

~it's the hope that gets ya~

Ok... onward and upward!

It so weird to never see him take his one timer anymore. Why it’s been completely taken away is beyond me. It was a great weapon and teams always had to be aware of it. It feels like they have limited themselves by not using it at all. Maybe it has something to do with his wrist. I dunno.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes the shooting percentage was always going to come down but that’s when you need to work harder. A lot of the time right now it looks like a team who had everything go easy and now they are being pressured to work harder to score and aren’t showing up.

Growing pains 

Despite their record, this is a group that's seen very little success together, their record indicates that they're a top team out west but they're also a group that's still learning to be a good team

You don't jump from being a team that's been either a bottom feeder or a mushy middle team to trying to be a competitive playoff team without growing pains

This is part of why I keep telling folks this Canucks team still has a lot to prove, not only during the regular season but come playoff time as well

On the upside, the first part if becoming a playoff regular is getting there the first year, they'll do that

They'll just likely have to experience growing pains come playoff time before breaking through as well

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Glad to see it. Hopefully the likes of Pettersson, Hronek, Cole and Mikeyev get the hint and actually play within the system tomorrow. 

The issue is they are trying to force players who aren’t top 6 players to be in the top 6. Mik and Suter are bottom of the lineup players. They have been for their whole careers so far. I am not sure why this management group is trying or surprised they aren’t having success. I am not. It just feels like we have 4/6 top six forwards and Boeser is only as good as his centermen. He sure has fallen off a cliff since scoring 30. Lindholm I am not sure what he is about. Miller is the only consistent top forward right now. So we are playing with 1 forward out of 6 until Boeser and Petey get their acts together and start producing and management get two more forwards. I am not sure that can be done this year. A lot to ask and it will cost assets.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Growing pains 

Despite their record, this is a group that's seen very little success together, their record indicates that they're a top team out west but they're also a group that's still learning to be a good team

You don't jump from being a team that's been either a bottom feeder or a mushy middle team to trying to be a competitive playoff team without growing pains

This is part of why I keep telling folks this Canucks team still has a lot to prove, not only during the regular season but come playoff time as well

On the upside, the first part if becoming a playoff regular is getting there the first year, they'll do that

They'll just likely have to experience growing pains come playoff time before breaking through as well

Yes, they aren’t as good as they were and they aren’t as bad as they have been. Likely somewhere in the middle of the two teams we have seen. We just need to see more consistency in the next few months. Fall back on their system that has worked.

They really miss Joshua.  There has been very little heavy body checking since his departure.  The forecheck is a lot weaker without him.  They are allowing teams too much time to get the puck out of their own end of the ice.  Try putting a big defensemen in front of the net on the the powerplay.  Make the opposition have to concentrate on moving him out of the sight of the goalkeeper.  Worth a try when nothing else is working.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Comox Blaster said:

Someone should have taken Tanev on again once the game was out of reach.  When your smallest player tries to be your toughest something is wrong.  

I am sure Tochet himself would have put on the skates and taught Tanev a lesson

Zads, Myers, or Miller should have done something. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes, they aren’t as good as they were and they aren’t as bad as they have been. Likely somewhere in the middle of the two teams we have seen. We just need to see more consistency in the next few months. Fall back on their system that has worked.

They have plenty of runway to figure things out, regardless of how the season plays out it's been a success

Folks should thank their lucky stars that the Canucks have been uncharacteristically healthy this season, and that they've clawed their way back into relevance, things could certainly be worse 

A losing stretch should be like water thrown into the faces of the players, which is good, but maybe it'll temper some folks expectations of them as well

They're a work in progress

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I do wish they would split up Hughes and Hronek, especially with Soucy out.

Have a high quality d man on the ice for 44 minutes a game, rather than a high quality pair for 22-24 minutes a game.

Hughes is being over worked, and I'm a little concerned with how Demko is getting so much work. Really stuck out after the all star game, I think DeSmith should have got the first game back.

Not giving Mikheyev games of rest, is sure starting to show as a bad, bad idea; even 5 games  off, spaced out, to maximize his rest would have helped a lot.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They have plenty of runway to figure things out, regardless of how the season plays out it's been a success

Folks should thank their lucky stars that the Canucks have been uncharacteristically healthy this season, and that they've clawed their way back into relevance, things could certainly be worse 

A losing stretch should be like water thrown into the faces of the players, which is good, but maybe it'll temper some folks expectations of them as well

Ya I wasn’t so convinced about being contenders because I haven’t been so sure about their top 6. Like I said, they have 4/6 players to play on the top 6. Mik and Suter aren’t top 6 players. It’s especially hard when Petey and Boeser are struggling. That’s leave only Miller to pick up the slack. It’s not enough. I will be happy they made the playoffs but it feels like the Lindholm add could be costly because they aren’t as close as some think. Not far off. They are just missing a few top players in the forward group. 

3 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

Someone should have taken Tanev on again once the game was out of reach.  When your smallest player tries to be your toughest something is wrong.  

I am sure Tochet himself would have put on the skates and taught Tanev a lesson

You could tell Tocc was fired up in the post game presser. 

• Haha 2

Hughes needs a less scrambly partner than Hronek right now. There were so many times yesterday when Hughes was motoring up the ice, he'd pass it to Hronek, who would either flub the pass or pass it right to a Kraken player and any momentum went the other way.

Lots of warts in Filip's defensive game. Maybe Hughes and Zadorov for a spell, which might make the opposition think twice about anything.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

On an ugly note; If you follow Canuck oriented twitter, Kate has been getting hassled . 

From what I can see; She does a great job.         

I don't do twitter, but I'd guess she's getting grief more because she is a paid Canuck employee, rather than the content she provides.

If she worked for the newspapers, she'd likely be in smooth waters.

Edited by Gurn
punctuation

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well, yah know; It's no holding back time. Gotta get the house in order for the post season.

On an ugly note; If you follow Canuck oriented twitter, Kate has been getting hassled . 

From what I can see; She does a great job.           

What's she getting hassled about?

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya I wasn’t so convinced about being contenders because I haven’t been so sure about their top 6. Like I said, they have 4/6 players to play on the top 6. Mik and Suter aren’t top 6 players. It’s especially hard when Petey and Boeser are struggling. That’s leave only Miller to pick up the slack. It’s not enough. I will be happy they made the playoffs but it feels like the Lindholm add could be costly because they aren’t as close as some think. Not far off. They are just missing a few top players in the forward group. 

I've said it before, but I'm not seriously willing to engage in contention talk until they make the playoffs two or three seasons in a row

Cinderella runs are rare, particularly for teams who've missed the playoffs as much as we have over the past decade or so

More than likely we go out in the first or second round imo, if you look at the cup winners over the last 10+ years most championship teams have had to beat their heads against the playoff wall before breaking through, I don't expect we'll be any different 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1