[PGT] Vancouver at Seattle

PhillipBlunt

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I don't feel so concerned about the Boston game... 

If we were playing to our potential, yes then I would be good to see us beat them, but we are not, or at least haven't been the last few games.

I'm just hoping/expecting us to get out of the funk after a few days home, when the boys gets rested and time to practice again...

After the Bruins game they start to see a more relaxed schedule, and that will without doubt help them settle down...

I get where you are coming from and respect that.

I'm more of the camp that the Boston games are significant in that as the #1 team in the league, we should be winning one of those two games.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Kragar said:

Schedule improves soon. Unfortunate that they don't have an extra day to prep for Boston (and why the hell they agreed to a 4pm game is beyond me).

The road trip coming up had no back to backs, and then they go over 3 weeks without a road game. As long as it's all just a matter of being gassed and lacking practice time, I won't worry.

Don't think they agree to 4pm games,they work around concerts and stuff they had to schedule months ago.

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Been waiting for them to sign that type of player forever... will surprised if them don't leading up to the TDL...

Need more fight on the team. Miller and Joshua should be the mold of player they're looking at on forward. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm more of the camp that the Boston games are significant in that as the #1 team in the league, we should be winning one of those two games.

Yes and if you so happen to meet them in the playoffs you want to  know you can beat them, especially in your own barn. Imagine losing both games and having that over your head in the playoffs especially with our media. It just ramps up the pressure that’s already there that much more. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

As a very long time Canucks fan, it's hard for me not to worry that this is the start of an epically disappointing slide back to mediocrity and an early playoff exit after the best regular season start in history. It feels like the team has been cursed since inception.

The guys have looked mentally fatigued recently. If that's all it is, the upcoming lengthy home stand and much easier travel schedule should sort that out. That's my hope, that this hasn't all been a glorious mirage.

It could also be that the team doesn't deal with pressure well, and that hasn't shown itself until now, when other teams are desperate for points as the playoffs near. That's less easily correctable in the short term as some players on the roster just may not have what it takes.

It also feels like Joshua and Soucy are pretty integral (perhaps overly so) to the team's success. We need them back and healthy. I also can't help but feel that the Lindholm trade has not made this a better team. He's a better player than Kuzy in isolation, but it doesn't feel like he's found a really good fit and the top-6 clearly isn't clicking at the moment.

Also the powerplay is embarrassing. I mean, I know there's more to it than just "shoot the damn puck", but... shoot the damn puck! If the puck isn't getting to the net, the chance to score is 0% and that's what's happening. If there's no clean looks from the point, just fire it towards the net from any angle and you're bound to get some chances off a rebound, goal mouth scramble, or deflecting it off someone's ass.

Beat Boston tomorrow and much will be forgiven and forgotten. Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Bardown said:

I’m going to give them the benefit of doubt as being mentally fatigued.

Yes, well spotted, among many other great comments here this morning.

But a whenever a coach begins to distance himself from players by referring to 'them' as 'they', its concerning.
Could be he was still in shock from witnessing his smallest player, heavily out-matched, absorbing a total pounding with absolutely no team response.

Tocchet the player, was never meek.  Must drive him crazy knowing that courage, the thing he possessed in spades, can't be coached.

Especially as this current roster can be truly excellent, whenever they decide to give a fuck.  That's mental for sure, but not fatigue-related.

Perhaps 'they' just don't like Garland enough to have his back.

Is this then our current season's low point?  'Nucks former draft pick embarrassed our all-stars with an unmolested 4-point night.  It is what it is, but adding to that, our often-frustratingly, user-unfriendly forum locked us out from signing in to comment, albeit for our own good, likely to prevent mass bannings.  Piling insult atop injury, my stream began disconnecting so randomly that I was severely tempted to go take a walk, to see if lonely, bare-arsed Anna (who interrupts the feed every 3 minutes with lurid promise), really does actually live only 381 metres away from my house.  And yours too, probably.

On the ice, I'm not optimistic.  Our Captain suddenly looks spent while our whole D has become bewildered.  The PP won't improve with Chaos in the crease: its not soccer, we're not crossing for the puck to be headed home.  So we'd be better off with a slow, stocky wide-arsed fella who'd black-out goalie vision almost entirely - a vet perhaps, who can't skate well enough to escape the blue-paint bruising is still standing there when, god willing sometime soon, a shot will arrive from the point.

Seems weird that after living in Hope for so long, Alvin's awesomeness might have our saviour already in Abbotsford.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Man garland got wailed on lol

Why didn’t miller or any one step up and go at  tanev I mean Beatin the crap out of the smallest guy on the team ?  I mean he’s that tough. It would have been nice to see him get the same treatment. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Every time a Vancouver Realtor gets mentioned I think of the Harvey guy that got kicked off CDC

Hey Patrick- while agree- no need to get personal, let's not pretend Kate is a reporter; when she is a Canuck  paid,  public relations representative.

well, for what it's worth; there's a couple of voices I don't have to listen to as much. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..😇

Anyone else find hockey boring af now besides playoffs? I remember watching the west coast express days. Every game there were battles, Bert vs Jackman, Phaneuf, etc, and games were exciting. Kesler destroying guys on the forecheck and battling hard every single game. 

The NHL is so soft now, entitled lazy players, no rivalries, players mail it in for 3/4 of the season. 

Reducing the amount of games would help a lot but obv will never happen. 

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

I don't think it's limited to real estate agents though. It's just the nature of the job. And with any job, there's going to be bad folks as well as good ones. Real estate agents - the good ones - serve an important purpose. If they advise properly, they can help smooth the whole process. There's a lot of stress involved in the job itself that doesn't get recognized. People often undercut them but demand a lot from them.

Real estate agents don't get paid unless a property is sold. It's not an easy job at all, even though there's a lot of money at stake. You can work 12+ hours and not get paid at the end of all those genuine efforts. That's rough and soul-killing.

I hate sales and I would never do it.

Me either. But your ability to sell, is to work with others. Paperwork, photos, legal docs, contracts. Doesn't help business if word gets out you're an asshole. Not like there's tons of other real estate agents you can choose. It's like if I put my business on the side of my vehicle. I'm going to be very wary, and cautious and respectful on the road. Nothing sells your business like someone driving like a jerk.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

As a very long time Canucks fan, it's hard for me not to worry that this is the start of an epically disappointing slide back to mediocrity and an early playoff exit after the best regular season start in history. It feels like the team has been cursed since inception.

The guys have looked mentally fatigued recently. If that's all it is, the upcoming lengthy home stand and much easier travel schedule should sort that out. That's my hope, that this hasn't all been a glorious mirage.

It could also be that the team doesn't deal with pressure well, and that hasn't shown itself until now, when other teams are desperate for points as the playoffs near. That's less easily correctable in the short term as some players on the roster just may not have what it takes.

It also feels like Joshua and Soucy are pretty integral (perhaps overly so) to the team's success. We need them back and healthy. I also can't help but feel that the Lindholm trade has not made this a better team. He's a better player than Kuzy in isolation, but it doesn't feel like he's found a really good fit and the top-6 clearly isn't clicking at the moment.

Also the powerplay is embarrassing. I mean, I know there's more to it than just "shoot the damn puck", but... shoot the damn puck! If the puck isn't getting to the net, the chance to score is 0% and that's what's happening. If there's no clean looks from the point, just fire it towards the net from any angle and you're bound to get some chances off a rebound, goal mouth scramble, or deflecting it off someone's ass.

If Myers drives Marchand through the glass, all will be forgiven for any sins committed by the Giraffe.

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

30 minutes ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Don't think they agree to 4pm games,they work around concerts and stuff they had to schedule months ago.

I was going from what others have posted in other threads, that the home team (usually) has a say over start time.

Agreed that other events could have an impact, although I doubt in this case that 3 hours makes enough of a difference. And yes, I understand that the times are set a long time ago.

If this is to placate HNIC, then that's garbage since the Leafs are also playing tomorrow at 4pm PT.  If this is to be nice to the Bruins, I'd like to know what they did to deserve such treatment.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Great post.

I feel much the same. 

I know its a great honour and all that but I wish we didn't have to send 4 of our top players and Tocchet too, to the ASG.  Tocc has been working them hard all season.  He's made that their identity.  They really needed just a time to get away from it all. Both physically and mentally. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder how much fresher they'd be post ASG if they hadn't gone?  Especially Petey. Not much choice there I suppose.

Second concern is that I am not enamoured of the LIndholm trade, not yet at least.  If you consider what we gave up in the deal its looking very lopsided.  If it was a straight up trade, player for player, we have improved...on paper.  Value wise, for future asset management, its a terrible deal. Especially if we can't re-sign Lindholm. But we also gave up that positive energy from Kuzmenko.  I think that is highly underrated in the dressing room. I think losing Kuz has affected Mik as well.  Its just a shame that Tocchet felt he just couldn't change Kuz's game enough to suit his coaching demands. I wish he'd been more patient. He was a near 40 goal scorer ffs.  Screwing with the chemistry on the team is a big risk.

I hope this isn't another case of acquiring a declining Swedish player because management projected he'd gel with another Swede on the team.  Shades of bringing in LE because he'd fit well with the Sedins.  But Lindholm hasn't been here that long. I'll give him more time.

I hope the team is valuing Joshua and what he brings. Petey is important to sign. But Joshua should be next. If we lose either Hronek, LIndholm, or Zadorov, but because of that we can keep Joshua?  I say that is a positive overall.  IMO a player like Joshua is not easy to find.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Myers drives Marchand through the glass, all will be forgiven for any sins committed by the Giraffe.

Back in the 80s, in some series against the Russians, I recall Messier and Anderson head-hunting a Russian player, coming at him from opposite directions, each with an elbow to his head. Somehow, they got away with it, too.

I often imagine the Rat getting that treatment. Ahh, perchance to dream.

• chaos 1

29 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

That's why it takes most teams several trys and fails to reach the top........they're battle hardened.  This team is (hopefully) at the beginning of that process and I hope management sees that and doesn't spend any more assets trying to go for it

26 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Why didn’t miller or any one step up and go at  tanev I mean Beatin the crap out of the smallest guy on the team ?  I mean he’s that tough. It would have been nice to see him get the same treatment. 

Garland has that dog in him

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
34 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Well, breaking things down could give some perspective.

We are a better team than ... say ... many of those losing teams from years past. So a slide backward will likely only go so far. We've already seen that we're a good team. We've already proven - through our own benchmarks - that we are legit. We've also been #1 in the league. So sliding back to mediocrity can't really happen because we weren't mediocre to begin with this season.

They have indeed looked mentally fatigued. That is a factor but they need to find a way to overcome that. Fatigue is also something that can be controlled and is largely temporary.

The team is dealing with pressure but it's only getting more intense from here on out. This could very well be their adjustment period to that pressure in the slower burn to elevate their game, correct, and adjust once they know and feel the new baseline of pressure.

Joshua has proven to be key just like Suter when he was out of the lineup but it's not all on them. Keep in mind that Lindholm is still adjusting. Especially since coming in and we're experiencing all of this upheaval. No wonder he's having a more difficult time. That will change.

The power play ... huge problem. They really need to study when it was working and fix it. Also find ways to use Hronek more effectively from the point and also the half wall.

Just beat Boston tomorrow. It will go a long way in restoring faith.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Like JR said, if everything goes well (including injuries) then this team will succeed. We're witnessing the reality of what it looks like when not everything goes well in terms of injuries and powerplays.

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Like JR said, if everything goes well (including injuries) then this team will succeed. We're witnessing the reality of what it looks like when not everything goes well in terms of injuries and powerplays.

If everything could just go well for 3 more months, that would be great! It's not asking much, is it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Cheers bud like wise...

I do agree under normal circumstances it could be a measuring stick, however just now, while we know, the team isn't firing all cylinders, we might be setting ourselves up for disappointments, if we want this as a measuring stick...

In saying that, the feel good factor would obviously return instantly, should they beat the Bruins...