What can be done about the top 6? We are missing 2 forwards.

I am a little worried about the top 6. We have 4/6 players right  now. In a perfect world we would have young players in those positions like Lekkerimaki or Podz but as of right now Mik and Suter are not top 6 players. They have been given more than enough time to prove it, so my question is how do they fix this issue? Can they fix this issue before the trade deadline?  A big issue is that when there are slumps like Boeser, Petey and Lindholm are having by not scoring or putting up points then it has been left to Miller to pick up the slack but if we had two more forwards it wouldn’t be as big of an issue as it is now. So my question, what can/should they do to address this issue? 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am a little worried about the top 6. We have 4/6 players right  now. In a perfect world we would have young players in those positions like Lekkerimaki or Podz but as of right now Mik and Suter are not top 6 players. They have been given more than enough time to prove it, so my question is how do they fix this issue? Can they fix this issue before the trade deadline?  A big issue is that when there are slumps like Boeser, Petey and Lindholm are having by not scoring or putting up points then it has been left for Miller to pick up the slack but if we had two more forwards it wouldn’t be as big of an issue as it is now. So my question, what can/should they do to address this issue? 

The third line masked a lot of the issues on the Petterson line this year. The guy has gotten points, but has basically been a ghost the last month or so. He is NOT a 13m player in my opinion.

Those guys go through funks, but at least they try ever night. Petterson has simply been doing a bunch of pregame skates for 60 min.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The third line masked a lot of the issues on the Petterson line this year. The guy has gotten points, but has basically been a ghost the last month or so. He is NOT a 13m player in my opinion.

Those guys go through funks, but at least they try ever night. Petterson has simply been doing a bunch of pregame skates for 60 min.

Yes but what I am saying is even with Petey going we are still down two top 6 forwards, how do they address that or can they even?

• Haha 1

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to What can be done about the top 6? We are missing 2 forwards.
27 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Unpopular opinion around here: If we sign Petey to 12-13M for X amount of years, we will suck those X amount of years. Petey like you said puts up the points but it’s almost always when it doesn’t matter. When it matters the only ones that show up are Miller, the third line, Hughes. 

A part of me wants to see Petey traded for a haul. We’d probably be better off afterwards. And yes I don’t CARE if Petey is top 7 or top 10 in the league in points. He just doesn’t have that win now attitude. Coasts around too much. And people were saying he should win the Selke lol

• Vintage 1

Oh yeah forgot to add. Trade Petey for 2 top 6 wingers and a RHD + picks. 

Re-sign Lindholm to play 2C. 

^Thats what I would like to see happen. 
what they should probably do is move Mikheyev by attaching some picks or prospects to free up cap space. Either package him separately to make room or send that package for a top 6 winger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I like Hoglander up there as well.  For the other spot, I want someone with size and a mean streak, such as Crouse or Tom Wilson.

Exactly it’s something we don’t have enough of. I am sorry to say but we are soft. Teams see it that way as well. They don’t worry about the front of their net against us. It’s an element I desperately want them to address at some point. 

26 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Unpopular opinion around here: If we sign Petey to 12-13M for X amount of years, we will suck those X amount of years. Petey like you said puts up the points but it’s almost always when it doesn’t matter. When it matters the only ones that show up are Miller, the third line, Hughes. 

A part of me wants to see Petey traded for a haul. We’d probably be better off afterwards. And yes I don’t CARE if Petey is top 7 or top 10 in the league in points. He just doesn’t have that win now attitude. Coasts around too much. And people were saying he should win the Selke lol

Dude, what the heck does that even mean?  He doesn't have a win-now attitude?  What exactly does a win-now attitude look like?  Do you want to see him smash his stick or something?  And if you think he coasts too much, why are the vast majority of his goals scored in front of the net?

image.png.b9e7c8bee2f78ceb3df24e776e45ea89.png

image.png.176abe96eb33ac4aca921f04ccc61fdc.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Oh yeah forgot to add. Trade Petey for 2 top 6 wingers and a RHD + picks. 

Re-sign Lindholm to play 2C. 

^Thats what I would like to see happen. 
what they should probably do is move Mikheyev by attaching some picks or prospects to free up cap space. Either package him separately to make room or send that package for a top 6 winger

As much as I'd like to see that happen, teams rarely trade their young, homegrown, franchise star in a move for pieces that would give them better depth (as much as it looks good on paper) and I doubt teams would give up that much for one guy.  E.g. one move I'd definitely be down for would be Buchnevich, Neighbours, Parayko for Petey, but most teams don't have the depth to shed so much talent for one star, and I'd also hate it when Petey reaches his prime peak and we possibly have to watch the guy who got away.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see

Neighbours - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Buchnevich

Hughes - Parayko
Cole - Hronek

But I'm not sure if our management would sell like that, since the top guys are hard to come by and Petey's one of them (9th overall currently in league scoring, Selke caliber, perennial All-Star, top line, top- PP easily, widely viewed as one of the top-5 to top-10 centers in the league).

10 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

As much as I'd like to see that happen, teams rarely trade their young, homegrown, franchise star in a move for pieces that would give them better depth (as much as it looks good on paper) and I doubt teams would give up that much for one guy.  E.g. one move I'd definitely be down for would be Buchnevich, Neighbours, Parayko for Petey, but most teams don't have the depth to shed so much talent for one star, and I'd also hate it when Petey reaches his prime peak and we possibly have to watch the guy who got away.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see

Neighbours - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Buchnevich

Hughes - Parayko
Cole - Hronek

But I'm not sure if our management would sell like that, since the top guys are hard to come by and Petey's one of them (9th overall currently in league scoring, Selke caliber, perennial All-Star, top line, top- PP easily, widely viewed as one of the top-5 to top-10 centers in the league).

I think defensively this year Petey has taken a huge step back. Giving up the puck and he has played soft at times. If this is an off year for him then we are pretty lucky considering he is 9th in scoring. Everyone just wants to see him mature mentally and physically. I think if anything one thing he needs to improve upon and I don’t know how or if it is possible, is getting bigger and gaining strength in his upper and lower body so he’s not falling over or being bumped off the puck. He is likely frustrated and wondering the same thing. Maybe he needs to hire a personal trainer if he hasn’t already done so.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think defensively this year Petey has taken a huge step back. Giving up the puck and I had played soft at times. If this is an off year for him then we are pretty lucky considering he is 9th in scoring. Everyone just wants to see him mature. I think if anything that he needs to improve upon and I don’t know how it if it is possible is getting bigger and getting strength in upper and lower body so he’s not falling over or being bumped off the puck. He is likely frustrated and wondering the same thing. Maybe it’s hiring a personal trainer.

Well, defensively, you're right - he's taken a few steps back compared to last year.  But physically?  Do you really think he's any different now than he was last year?  I don't think that's the problem.  I can't pinpoint what he needs to do to execute his defensive assignments better, but his physique doesn't explain the drop from one season to the next.

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, defensively, you're right - he's taken a few steps back compared to last year.  But physically?  Do you really think he's any different now than he was last year?  I don't think that's the problem.  I can't pinpoint what he needs to do to execute his defensive assignments better, but his physique doesn't explain the drop from one season to the next.

No but I am saying it’s one area he’s actually had a hard time gaining any improvement in since he has entered the league. He’s what 180 pounds at 6’2” at 25. Year to year it looks very similar. He gets knocked off the puck pretty easily and falls down a lot. This hasn’t changed much since he came into the league and everyone knows it’s a struggle for him to put on weight. Everyone knows this so it should come as no surprise but  a lot of people are upset that he gets pushed off the puck and falls down a lot. There is a reason for this. It’s not too hard to pinpoint why.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

No but I am saying it’s one area he’s actually had a hard time gaining any improvement in since he has entered the league. He’s what 180 pounds at 6’2” at 25. Year to year it looks very similar. He gets knocked off the puck pretty easily and falls down a lot. This hasn’t changed much since he came into the league and everyone knows it’s a struggle for him to put on weight. Everyone knows this so it should come as no surprise but  a lot of people are upset that he gets pushed off the puck and falls down a lot. There is a reason for this. 

Yeah, he might gain a couple of pounds of muscle every offseason as he gets older, but he's never going to get all jacked up.  Like you said - he's 25.  We're probably not going to see any kind of dramatic physical transformation.  Even at his weight, Pettersson's really not afraid of physical contact or going into high traffic areas.  He loves to crash the net.  Most of his goals are scored in front of the net.  He sometimes loves to make big hits because opponents aren't bracing for it.

2 minutes ago, FlippersUp said:

Suter has been great. We also have 6 all stars 5 of whom are fwd's so im not sure what youre talking about. 

Ok. The lines aren’t working. Being an all star is ok but it does nothing for them now. When is the last time Suter scored? He’s playing second line minutes. It’s a big deal. He’s great as a third line player. You have to be realistic and Sudtee and Mik aren’t top 6 players that’s what I am talking about. Look at their stats over the last bit. 

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Yeah, he might gain a couple of pounds of muscle every offseason as he gets older, but he's never going to get all jacked up.  Like you said - he's 25.  We're probably not going to see any kind of dramatic physical transformation.  Even at his weight, Pettersson's really not afraid of physical contact or going into high traffic areas.  He loves to crash the net.  Most of his goals are scored in front of the net.  He sometimes loves to make big hits because opponents aren't bracing for it.

Yes I agree he can, BUT the physical play has ramped up and he’s nowhere to be found. He’s starting to play the perimeter or he can’t get to those areas without being checked and knocked down. Playoffs are only going to get more intense in terms of physical play and he’s struggling now. 

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I agree; it's not the his hits or where he plays. He disappears for large parts of the season, where his effort level looks pathetic. Look at a guy like Mcdavid; even when he was hurt, he worked his bag off....just couldn't get results. With Petterson, he just floats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am a little worried about the top 6. We have 4/6 players right  now. In a perfect world we would have young players in those positions like Lekkerimaki or Podz but as of right now Mik and Suter are not top 6 players. They have been given more than enough time to prove it, so my question is how do they fix this issue? Can they fix this issue before the trade deadline?  A big issue is that when there are slumps like Boeser, Petey and Lindholm are having by not scoring or putting up points then it has been left to Miller to pick up the slack but if we had two more forwards it wouldn’t be as big of an issue as it is now. So my question, what can/should they do to address this issue? 

I would strongly advise against making more trades since making too many trades could start to alter team chemistry.  

The Canucks have made enough trades now.  

They should focus on being creative with their lines.  

With Joshua out, here is what I'd try.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Suter [shut down line]

PDG-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes I agree he can, BUT the physical play has ramped up and he’s nowhere to be found. He’s starting to play the perimeter or he can’t get to those areas without being checked and knocked down. Playoffs are only going to get more intense in terms of physical play and he’s struggling now. 

He just isn't fighting for it; almost given up. Mikaheyev has had a rough season will a lot of fustration, yet that guy comes out and bag skates every night...ditto Suter...ditto Garland...ditto 2023/24 Miller...etc

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

He just isn't fighting for it; almost given up. Mikaheyev has had a rough season will a lot of fustration, yet that guy comes out and bag skates every night...ditto Suter...ditto Garland...ditto 2023/24 Miller...etc

Who knows maybe Petey doubts himself at times and think he can’t do things because of his weight and strength being an issue. If you know you’re going to go in the corners or front of the net and are going to take a beating or get rocked you can’t tell me that doesn’t play on your mind.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Who knows maybe Petey doubts himself at times and think he can’t do things because of his weight and strength being an issue. If you know you’re going to go in the corner and take a beating or get rocked you can’t tell me that doesn’t play on your mind.

Then you are not a 12-13m guy. A guy at that cap is a leader....and shows it through his actions. I Get the whole not wanting to be captain based on personality, but the lack of effort and fight is alarming. Look at a guy like Garland; guy gets assaulted every single night and comes back for more. He's got fight, resilience and pride

Edited by BC_Hawk

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Then you are not a 12-13m guy. A guy at that cap is a leader....and shows it through his actions. I Get the whole not wanting to be captain based on personality, but the lack of effort and fight is alarming.

Ya I agree. That’s what makes the rest of the season and playoffs that much more important for him. He might be outstanding and the doubts will fade away. Management is seeing exactly what we are seeing and likely thinking the same thing and questioning his ability. I am sure they are happy to wait it out if the can and see if he is worth the long term financial investment they are going to make. Prove them wrong Petey!!! Show us you can. I want him to be so amazing so badly. We will find out in the next 25 games what he is made of.

26 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ok. The lines aren’t working. Being an all star is ok but it does nothing for them now. When is the last time Suter scored? He’s playing second line minutes. It’s a big deal. He’s great as a third line player. You have to be realistic and Sudtee and Mik aren’t top 6 players that’s what I am talking about. Look at their stats over the last bit. 

I'm just going to leave these right here. 

image.thumb.png.d42364e41a9139e7409696cc37d1b722.png

image.thumb.png.303ae5ce1809a7464dd2fa63a20f75fc.png

Suter is a beauty that trio has been better than the lotto line.

https://moneypuck.com/lines.htm 

Go toggle around the settings any way you cut it Suter Miller Brock has been money. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I'm just going to leave these right here. 

image.thumb.png.d42364e41a9139e7409696cc37d1b722.png

image.thumb.png.303ae5ce1809a7464dd2fa63a20f75fc.png

Suter is a beauty that trio has been better than the lotto line

lol That has so much to do with Miller, it’s not even funny. These stats don’t mean much. Tell me Suter and Boeser’s personal stats over the last 10 games then get back to me. 

• Haha 1