What can be done about the top 6? We are missing 2 forwards.

I will do it for you. Boeser 1 goal, 5 assists in his last 10

games. Hmm I wonder where his assists have come from.

1 goal and he’s supposed to be a scorer.

pius suter

5 assists his last ten. I wonder who he was assisting.  He has zero goals. Zero. Second line minutes. Only person scoring on that line is Miller and Miller is driving play. Miller is the play maker and should be setting up goals. Enough said.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

lol That has so much to do with Miller, it’s not even funny. These stats don’t mean much. Tell me Suter and Boeser’s personal stats over the last 10 games then get back to me. 

I would agree, though Boesers effort over the last 5 games has been noticable; he is no longer a passenger. As stated though, that's in direct correlation with Miller fighting all year.

Suter is a similar guy; works his bag off every night, but he doesnt have the same level of talent. His points and goals will ebb and flow, but his is effort is there every night.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

I would agree, though Boesers effort over the last 5 games has been noticable; he is no longer a passenger. As stated though, that's in direct correlation with Miller fighting all year.

Suter is a similar guy; works his bag off every night, but he doesnt have the same level of talent. His points and goals will ebb and flow, but his is effort is there every night.

I never question Suter’s effort but he isn’t a second line winger. It’s not fair to ask Miller to make him into one.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

lol That has so much to do with Miller, it’s not even funny. These stats don’t mean much. Tell me Suter and Boeser’s personal stats over the last 10 games then get back to me. 

Sure absolutely. It doesn't change the fact that Pete doesn't make that line better than Suter does. If you can replace a 7-12m player with a 2m one and have similar results thats a win in my books. 

Suter has 11 points in his last 15 games. That's prrety good for 1.6m

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am a little worried about the top 6. We have 4/6 players right  now. In a perfect world we would have young players in those positions like Lekkerimaki or Podz but as of right now Mik and Suter are not top 6 players. They have been given more than enough time to prove it, so my question is how do they fix this issue? Can they fix this issue before the trade deadline?  A big issue is that when there are slumps like Boeser, Petey and Lindholm are having by not scoring or putting up points then it has been left to Miller to pick up the slack but if we had two more forwards it wouldn’t be as big of an issue as it is now. So my question, what can/should they do to address this issue? 

I have been screaming this for a while

Pete with Joshua and Garland.

Why?

One, they deserve more ice (Joshua and Garland), two they have insane chemistry that will probably help Petey, and you have size and a great forchecker / pest to get the puck to Petey, and they both have the hands to finish.

Moreover, it spreads the offense and defense around. This allows Tocchet to truly run four lines. No defensive weakness on any line, and that fourth line is fast and can be his "Shut down" line.

Joshua Petey Garland

Bains Miller Boeser

Hoglander Lindholm Suter

Mikhayev Bleuger Lafferty

Then try "Lines" on the PP

PP1 Miller line

PP2 Petey line

Miller and Hughes stay out for the full 2mins

Edited by Bardown

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Sure absolutely. It doesn't change the fact that Pete doesn't make that line better than Suter does. If you can replace a 7-12m player with a 2m one and have similar results thats a win in my books. 

Suter has 11 points in his last 15 games. That's prrety good for 1.6m

lol. You added the 15 games to get it to 11 points. lol. Yes he had a cluster of points at the beginning when he was put on that line but the last ten zero goals, 5 assists. The reason you took it to 15 games was to get this 6 other points in there. Doesn’t look as bad . Nice try though. There is a reason teams didn’t have him on the second line and why he was one of the last signings of the summer. Love him but on the third line.

16 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Brock literally said on Spittin Chicklets the only reason he scores 5 on 5 is because of Miller lol. 

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

I have been screaming this for a while

Pete with Joshua and Garland.

Why?

One, they deserve more ice, two they have insane chemistry that will probably help Petey, and you have size and a great forchecker / pest to get the puck to Petey, and they both have the hands to finish.

Moreover, it spreads the offense and defense around

Joshua Petey Garland

Bains Miller Boeser

Hoglander Lindholm Suter

Mikhayev Bleuger Lafferty

Then try "Lines" on the PP

PP1 Miller line

PP2 Petey line

Miller and Hughes stay out for the full 2mins

We don't need Pete to score 150 points we need to win games. I'd rather win 2-1 than lose 10-7 I don't care if Pete scored 5. We need a lineup of 4 lines that score more than they are scored on. that's it. 

Pete with Lafferty Mikheyev is high value. 

image.thumb.png.3cfe71b0e4e11275f98bf0ffce07ba4c.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

lol. You added the 15 games to get it to 11 points. lol. Yes he had a cluster of points at the beginning when he was put on that line but the last ten zero goals, 5 assists. The reason you took it to 15 games was to get this 6 other points in there. Doesn’t look as bad . Nice try though. There is a reason teams didn’t have him on the second line and why he was one of the last signings of the summer. Love him but on the third line.

ohh those points don't count because your narrative.

He scored those points playing on that line.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

We don't need Pete to score 150 points we need to win games. I'd rather win 2-1 than lose 10-7 I don't care if Pete scored 5. We need a lineup of 4 lines that score more than they are scored on. that's it. 

We need Petey to score when its hard

He's clearly having issues in heavy hard games

Joshua on his wing helps him

The other lines still have ability to score.

Not sure why you think they don't

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

ohh those points don't count because your narrative.

He scored those points playing on that line.

No it’s just reality. Last ten games zero goals on a second line with Miller! You just added them to try to aide your narrative. Means nothing now that he scored three goals in one game using your stats at the beginning of the 15 games you want to use. He’s gotten squat since. He’s not a second line player. That’s just the reality.

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

No it’s just reality. Last ten games zero goals on a second line with Miller! You just added them to try to aide your narrative. Means nothing now that he scored three goals in one game using your stats. He’s not a second line player. That’s just the reality.

It's not even about points its about winning. The trio of Suter Miller Brock have out scored their opponents period. Replacing Suter with Lindholm, Pete, whoever else doesn't matter Suter Miller Brock have been our best line. Regardless of Suters individual points. the team that scores more and gets scored on less wins. 

Freeing up Pete Lindholm to make other lines better makes your team as a whole better. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

Suter hasn't moved the needle for me much lately in the top 6. Having him there from time to time makes sense, but I think he'll help us more playing in the bottom 6. At least for now as it looks like he's over complicating his game, and has whiffed on a lot of opportunities as of late.

As for Pettersson struggling a bit right now, I'm not too upset about it. Better for him to play these hard games and take his play up a notch now as opposed to in the playoffs. Pettersson always tends to struggle when he over thinks and tries to do too much.

10 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Suter hasn't moved the needle for me much lately in the top 6. Having him there from time to time makes sense, but I think he'll help us more playing in the bottom 6. At least for now as it looks like he's over complicating his game, and has whiffed on a lot of opportunities as of late.

As for Pettersson struggling a bit right now, I'm not too upset about it. Better for him to play these hard games and take his play up a notch now as opposed to in the playoffs. Pettersson always tends to struggle when he over thinks and tries to do too much.

Over thinking vs over complicating ahh the duality of canucks fans. 

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes I agree he can, BUT the physical play has ramped up and he’s nowhere to be found. He’s starting to play the perimeter or he can’t get to those areas without being checked and knocked down. Playoffs are only going to get more intense in terms of physical play and he’s struggling now. 

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

I agree; it's not the his hits or where he plays. He disappears for large parts of the season, where his effort level looks pathetic. Look at a guy like Mcdavid; even when he was hurt, he worked his bag off....just couldn't get results. With Petterson, he just floats.

This is what I mean when I talk about generalities.  You want him to attack the net more?  He's done that quite a bit during this 4-game skid.  The puck isn't going in but nobody can suggest he's floating or he disappears.  Does he need cover his defensive assignments better?  For sure.  You want him to fight more?  That can't be it.  

I feel like you guys are questioning Petey's integrity as a player.  Do you think he goes into the locker room after games and thinks, "Yeah, I didn't quite try hard enough"?

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

This is what I mean when I talk about generalities.  You want him to attack the net more?  He's done that quite a bit during this 4-game skid.  The puck isn't going in but nobody can suggest he's floating or he disappears.  Does he need cover his defensive assignments better?  For sure.  You want him to fight more?  That can't be it.  

I feel like you guys are questioning Petey's integrity as a player.  Do you think he goes into the locker room after games and thinks, "Yeah, I didn't quite try hard enough"?

I don’t think I have said that at all. I think he is limited to what he can do right now because of his lack of strength on his skates and holding onto the puck. I think every year he goes back home and tries to work on things and knows what he has to get better at. I just don’t know if he can increase weight and strength as much as we would all like him to. He’s gotten so much stronger since he came in but you also see that he needs so much more. Try is never an issue with me when it comes to Pettersson.

29 minutes ago, Bardown said:

I remember you from the other day.  You're saying the same crap here as you were before, and you tried to call it "objective facts".  I responded to you with this:

Your post was anything but objective.  I'm quoting almost verbatim here: "He's not showing up" "He thinks he's the man" "He disappears" "He's me first, not team first" 

That is the most ridiculous generality-laden gobble you hear from crappy sports journalists.  It's an insult to the hard work he and everyone else on the Canucks put in, and frankly it's an insult to the sport, which you think an objective opinion is that "players aren't showing up".

Tell me - what set plays are the Canucks deploying in the offensive zone and what are you expecting Pettersson or the team to execute better on?  Do you want him to play lower and look for better outlets up high or do you want him to peel higher off a rim release and play a bumper role?  Give me some legitimate, objective criticisms/suggestions instead of generalizing crap.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don’t think I have said that at all. I think he is limited to what he can do right now because of his lack of strength on his skates and holding onto the puck. I think every year he goes back home and tries to work on things and knows what he has to get better at. I just don’t know if he can increase weight and strength as much as we would all like him to. He’s gotten so much stronger since he came in but you also see that he needs so much more. Try is never an issue with me when it comes to Pettersson.

Fair enough.  There are loads of people here questioning his work ethic, and it's such a dumb argument to make.

But to respond to your comment, I feel like your expectations are unrealistic.  Pettersson has such a unique playstyle that's uncommon in the NHL due to his high level of skill and intelligence.  You can't expect him to just suddenly gain 20 pounds and start playing like... J.T. Miller.  They will both attack the net which is why they're both all-stars but the approach is obviously going to be different.

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I remember you from the other day.  You're saying the same crap here as you were before, and you tried to call it "objective facts".  I responded to you with this:

Your post was anything but objective.  I'm quoting almost verbatim here: "He's not showing up" "He thinks he's the man" "He disappears" "He's me first, not team first" 

That is the most ridiculous generality-laden gobble you hear from crappy sports journalists.  It's an insult to the hard work he and everyone else on the Canucks put in, and frankly it's an insult to the sport, which you think an objective opinion is that "players aren't showing up".

Tell me - what set plays are the Canucks deploying in the offensive zone and what are you expecting Pettersson or the team to execute better on?  Do you want him to play lower and look for better outlets up high or do you want him to peel higher off a rim release and play a bumper role?  Give me some legitimate, objective criticisms/suggestions instead of generalizing crap.

The irony of your post is only lost on you

I suppose you believe Petterson has played well in the hard games...good for you

For alot of us, our eyes don't lie. You can even listen to last night's post game, even Sat and Bick are recognizing people aren't just making things up

You're entitled to your views, I am mine

As I said, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it...this is what rational people do...they don't keep repeating themselves over and over and over..

By the way, using words you learned on the radio, and talking only about the powerplay shows you really don't have a clue...but its cute, trying to be an expert isn't it? LOL

Edited by Bardown

16 minutes ago, Bardown said:

The irony of your post is only lost on you

I suppose you believe Petterson has played well in the hard games...good for you

For alot of us, our eyes don't lie. You can even listen to last night's post game, even Sat and Bick are recognizing people aren't just making things up

You're entitled to your views, I am mine

As I said, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it...this is what rational people do...they don't keep repeating themselves over and over and over..

By the way, using words you learned on the radio, and talking only about the powerplay shows you really don't have a clue...but its cute, trying to be an expert isn't it? LOL

So which one is it?  Are you presenting objective facts or is it mere opinion?  Because "he is a me-first player" isn't objective or factual.  It's nonsense.  "He thinks he's the man"?  How would anyone have any clue what you're talking about?  

Maybe if you'd said something like "he's trying to force seam passes on broken plays" or "he's losing his man in the D-zone", those are statements you can back up with stats and video evidence.  But "he doesn't play hard enough"?  Wtf is that??

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I don’t see how anyone can argue this, regardless of who is scoring the goals.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Actually I do. His body language is often pretty bad. Now I don't wan't to jump all over Pete I absolutely hope we get him locked up for 11x8. But quite often when he makes a bad play misses a shot, makes a turnover, bobbles a puck etc you see those shoulders slump, and his head snap back instead of immediately getting back into the play and trying to get it back. You see it on the bench flipping i pads and even at times sitting by himself. There have absolutely been some games he hasn't been very good he's human after all. And I do think he's very hard on himself and get's in his brain. He's someone I think would greatly benefit from a sports psychologist. 

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

I’ll post this again for you, and with the link again as previously requested. Saying the same thing over and over again does not make it fact.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-have-matched-up-well-against-the-top-teams-in-the-nhl-8302304

IMG_3221.png

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Actually I do. His body language is often pretty bad. Now I don't wan't to jump all over Pete I absolutely hope we get him locked up for 11x8. But quite often when he makes a bad play misses a shot, makes a turnover, bobbles a puck etc you see those shoulders slump, and his head snap back instead of immediately getting back into the play and trying to get it back. You see it on the bench flipping i pads and even at times sitting by himself. There have absolutely been some games he hasn't been very good he's human after all. And I do think he's very hard on himself and get's in his brain. He's someone I think would greatly benefit from a sports psychologist. 

I mean, you can say the same thing about J.T. Miller.  He looks enraged when something doesn't work out and it's absolutely detrimental to his overall play.  Only after the coaches can calm him down or turn that energy into something more productive does Miller turn things around.  Otherwise it's just unbridled rage.

• Cheers 1