What can be done about the top 6? We are missing 2 forwards.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

I mean, you can say the same thing about J.T. Miller.  He looks enraged when something doesn't work out and it's absolutely detrimental to his overall play.  Only after the coaches can calm him down or turn that energy into something more productive does Miller turn things around.  Otherwise it's just unbridled rage.

Enraged you can channel you can't channel pout. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bardown said:

I have been screaming this for a while

Pete with Joshua and Garland.

Why?

One, they deserve more ice (Joshua and Garland), two they have insane chemistry that will probably help Petey, and you have size and a great forchecker / pest to get the puck to Petey, and they both have the hands to finish.

Moreover, it spreads the offense and defense around. This allows Tocchet to truly run four lines. No defensive weakness on any line, and that fourth line is fast and can be his "Shut down" line.

Joshua Petey Garland

Bains Miller Boeser

Hoglander Lindholm Suter

Mikhayev Bleuger Lafferty

Then try "Lines" on the PP

PP1 Miller line

PP2 Petey line

Miller and Hughes stay out for the full 2mins

This is similar as my opinion.

The only difference is that I would change maybe Lafferty and Garland.

One of the problem for Peteys line is how big the line is. They get a bunch of big bodies against them when they meet the best teams that can screen Petey.

Hogz and Garland is better on third and fourth line when they have lesser competition.

Petey is the best passer on the team and can snipe… Still you want Miller on the full 2 minutes and not Petey? 
I rather that we let the two lines play one minute each and let Hughes rest a bit also. 
Myers can do a lot of fun if he doesn’t have to bother about defence.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

So which one is it?  Are you presenting objective facts or is it mere opinion?  Because "he is a me-first player" isn't objective or factual.  It's nonsense.  "He thinks he's the man"?  How would anyone have any clue what you're talking about?  

Maybe if you'd said something like "he's trying to force seam passes on broken plays" or "he's losing his man in the D-zone", those are statements you can back up with stats and video evidence.  But "he doesn't play hard enough"?  Wtf is that??

Go watch the last 5 games and tell me what you see in petey’s game “expert”

Lol

ok we’re all wrong and you’re right! We’re  stupid and just hate hate hate for the sake of it

Forcing bad passes on the pp

Not driving the net 

Playing on the permiter

Looking for perfect plays on the pp Vs shooting 

not supporting his dmen down low as a center should (go watch Crosby)

falling down every time he’s touched 

taking bad angle shots on the pp when he does, missing the net because he goes far corner and the puck leaving the zone as a result 

taking too long to shoot 

Going in too deep without understanding if he’s got a winger covering high for him

Chasing players behind the offensive net in OT - cost the Canucks 2 losses recently 

Now go watch the last 5-8 games and then quit your “nonsense responses”

and if you can’t be bothered to go watch I’m not spending 18 hours editing video for you ok?

so I’ll pre-empt your childish response of “videos or it didn’t happen”

my god get a life 

Edited by Bardown

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

Lol

ok we’re all wrong and you’re right! We’re  stupid and just hate hate hate for the sake of it

Not driving the net 

Playing on the permiter

taking bad angle shots on the pp when he does, missing the net because he goes far corner and the puck leaving the zone as a result 

taking too long to shoot 

Going in too deep without understanding if he’s got a winger covering high for him

Chasing players behind the offensive net in OT - cost the Canucks 2 losses recently 

and if you can’t be bothered to go watch I’m not spending 18 hours editing video for you ok?

my god get a life 

The one thing I can agree with re Petey is he is not strong enough. He does get knocked down a lot. I see it every game.

the first 2 months of the season he was attempting reverse body checks with some success. Often the player initiating the check would get the worst of it. However that seems to have disappeared lately.

He does score in all situations (even against top teams, we’ve already gone there lol). But he does seem to be disengaged at times. I don’t know if it’s because he thinks he’s the man as you suggest, but rather he gets frustrated by his lack of strength or success in all situations and maybe gives up a little? Hard to believe any paid professional athlete does not care tho. They have pride and the desire to win.

i don’t know where this goes with Petey. I like him as a Canuck, but have to agree with some posters that as his current level of compete he’s not worth $12 mil/year.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

The one thing I can agree with re Petey is he is not strong enough. He does get knocked down a lot. I see it every game.

the first 2 months of the season he was attempting reverse body checks with some success. Often the player initiating the check would get the worst of it. However that seems to have disappeared lately.

He does score in all situations (even against top teams, we’ve already gone there lol). But he does seem to be disengaged at times. I don’t know if it’s because he thinks he’s the man as you suggest, but rather he gets frustrated by his lack of strength or success in all situations and maybe gives up a little? Hard to believe any paid professional athlete does not care tho. They have pride and the desire to win.

i don’t know where this goes with Petey. I like him as a Canuck, but have to agree with some posters that as his current level of compete he’s not worth $12 mil/year.

That’s exactly my point and always has been

the issue is he puts up points so that = payday 

but a team cannot afford to pay a guy 12 mil and not have him be the best player on the team and the “go to” when they need a goal

Quinn and Miller have shown to drive play in big games way more that Petey. 

but his comps and rumours say he gets 12 or more.. 

we can’t afford that if he’s not a guy like Bure, where you could throw him out there and say go get us a goal. 

the same knock was on Nylander for a few years but over the last 2 years prior to signing his big deal he drove play and has been one of the best leafs (and only Matthews outlandish year this year has been better).

Petey doesn’t drive / control play like even Nylander. 

around 9 mil on a bridge, ok. Give him time to prove it. But he’s not worth 12 imho. 

33 minutes ago, Bardown said:

That’s exactly my point and always has been

the issue is he puts up points so that = payday 

but a team cannot afford to pay a guy 12 mil and not have him be the best player on the team and the “go to” when they need a goal

Quinn and Miller have shown to drive play in big games way more that Petey. 

but his comps and rumours say he gets 12 or more.. 

we can’t afford that if he’s not a guy like Bure, where you could throw him out there and say go get us a goal. 

the same knock was on Nylander for a few years but over the last 2 years prior to signing his big deal he drove play and has been one of the best leafs (and only Matthews outlandish year this year has been better).

Petey doesn’t drive / control play like even Nylander. 

around 9 mil on a bridge, ok. Give him time to prove it. But he’s not worth 12 imho. 

Well that’s not exactly what I agreed with. I have provided the facts (links and chart) that show that he does indeed score in big games. Is he a play driver (Ala Miller),  IDK. I can only guess that people argue that  because he puts up points and has an elite skill level that the market dictates he makes around 12.

i don’t know if Nylander is a good comparable but he makes 11.5 and puts up similar numbers to Pettersson. Is Nylander a play driver? Is he physically stronger? I don’t know because I don’t watch the Leads unless they are playing the Canucks.

i know we all had fun teasing about his shot blocking adversity aka the “double flamingo”.

Who would be a good compatible in your opinion? Maybe some people are just wanting something that isn’t there…

3 hours ago, Bardown said:

Lol

Not driving the net 

Playing on the permiter

taking too long to shoot 

my god get a life 

At least you're coming up with something a little more coherent now, as opposed to the generalizing crap from before.

Forcing bad passes/looking for perfect plays?  Sure - that's a valid criticism.  He's a very selective, patient passer and should be making better playes than he is right now.

Not driving the net and playing on the perimeter?  He was consistently skating into traffic up front and attempting (unsuccessfully) to make plays at the net.

Not supporting down low like a centre?  Overall you could critique Petey on it, but he has been playing winger since the Lindholm trade.

For the rest of your stuff, there are things I agree and disagree with, but now you're actually trying to break down his play, in contrast to before.  Like, does him missing wide on shots equate to him being a me-frost player?  Does him being a selective passer make him a me-first player?  Or when he overcommits on an OT forecheck, does that make him a me-first player?  The man has flaws in his game, just like everyone else on the team.  But for some reason, you felt the need to attack his integrity as a player and try to present it as "objective facts".  The majority of fans are watching him play and though they're upset with his performance, few are attacking him as a person.

You're clearly capable of presenting more analytical opinions but you were just too lazy at first and sputtered out some nonsense.

16 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

At least you're coming up with something a little more coherent now, as opposed to the generalizing crap from before.

Forcing bad passes/looking for perfect plays?  Sure - that's a valid criticism.  He's a very selective, patient passer and should be making better playes than he is right now.

Not driving the net and playing on the perimeter?  He was consistently skating into traffic up front and attempting (unsuccessfully) to make plays at the net.

Not supporting down low like a centre?  Overall you could critique Petey on it, but he has been playing winger since the Lindholm trade.

For the rest of your stuff, there are things I agree and disagree with, but now you're actually trying to break down his play, in contrast to before.  Like, does him missing wide on shots equate to him being a me-frost player?  Does him being a selective passer make him a me-first player?  Or when he overcommits on an OT forecheck, does that make him a me-first player?  The man has flaws in his game, just like everyone else on the team.  But for some reason, you felt the need to attack his integrity as a player and try to present it as "objective facts".  The majority of fans are watching him play and though they're upset with his performance, few are attacking him as a person.

You're clearly capable of presenting more analytical opinions but you were just too lazy at first and sputtered out some nonsense.

Your insults show how little you think of yourself not me sweetheart  

this is a fact of life. 

the fact you’re on a hockey site insulting others who don’t share your opinions is concerning 

Edited by Bardown

25 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Your insults show how little you think of yourself not me sweetheart  

this is a fact of life. 

the fact you’re on a hockey site insulting others who don’t share your opinions is concerning 

Even when I give you a bunch of credit for actually presenting solid hockey opinions you feel the need to respond like this.

What a prick

I still like the idea of getting Cole Sillinger.

Still young, has offensive skills but been on some bad teams and has upside with us.

His blocked shots and hits aren't bad either and he does play on the cbj pk even though it sucks.

Biggest thing is that his cap hit is tiny and him being an RFA and not seen as the future there with fantili and jenner plus a new gm means we have a shot at getting him for a smaller return.

image.png.38fc1715621a5ea6332e3acaeb065305.png

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think most teams only have 3 to 5 top6 forwards.  Even the best of the best don't have 6 top 6 forwards... they have complementary guys that help the stars do what they do.

You are absolutely correct; especially if you're looking at offensive stats.

But...

Panthers: Reinhart, Tketchup, Verhaeghe, Barkov, Bennett, Rodriques

Stars: Robertson, Duchene, Hintz, Pavelski, Marchment, Seguin

Vegas: Stone, Marchessault, Eichel, Karlsson, Barbashev, Stephenson, (Roy)

Compare to:  Miller, EP, Lindholm, Boeser, Hogs, Suter

Take away JT and there's not much aggressive game on the Canucks.

This is not the top 6 on a contending team.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You are absolutely correct; especially if you're looking at offensive stats.

But...

Panthers: Reinhart, Tketchup, Verhaeghe, Barkov, Bennett, Rodriques

Stars: Robertson, Duchene, Hintz, Pavelski, Marchment, Seguin

Vegas: Stone, Marchessault, Eichel, Karlsson, Barbashev, Stephenson, (Roy)

Compare to:  Miller, EP, Lindholm, Boeser, Hogs, Suter

Take away JT and there's not much aggressive game on the Canucks.

This is not the top 6 on a contending team.

Yeah ideally a top 6 or even middle 6 winger is brought in that can move Hogs or Suter back to the 4th line.  It'll provide more depth and balanced scoring.

• Upvote 1

Coaches should take Peteys phone from him. I read somewhere he is on social media all the time. You cannot get through a full season dealing with all the crap online. Make it a no social media time starting now all the way until they get eliminated in the playoffs, or they win it all. It lets the players focus on what is important. 
I remember some years when players decided to not take their Xboxes on road games 😂 it is actually quite simple. Petey will be a better player. 

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah ideally a top 6 or even middle 6 winger is brought in that can move Hogs or Suter back to the 4th line.  It'll provide more depth and balanced scoring.

I was hopeful that Podz would be filling that role by now, but he's just not there yet and I'm not

sure he will ever be.

I would hate to see it, but Alvin may have to include Podz in a trade at some point, if he

wants to acquire player that can instantly improve the top 6.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I was hopeful that Podz would be filling that role by now, but he's just not there yet and I'm not

sure he will ever be.

I would hate to see it, but Alvin may have to include Podz in a trade at some point, if he

wants to acquire player that can instantly improve the top 6.

I think Podz is gonna be ready to go for next season.  They're taking their time with him.  Developing him properly.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Even when I give you a bunch of credit for actually presenting solid hockey opinions you feel the need to respond like this.

What a prick

More insults 

Congrats 👏 

Edited by Bardown

22 minutes ago, Mr Wrong said:

Coaches should take Peteys phone from him. I read somewhere he is on social media all the time. You cannot get through a full season dealing with all the crap online. Make it a no social media time starting now all the way until they get eliminated in the playoffs, or they win it all. It lets the players focus on what is important. 
I remember some years when players decided to not take their Xboxes on road games 😂 it is actually quite simple. Petey will be a better player. 

I dunno Mister, I think you're Wrong.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

I was thinking about this earlier but wasn't sure where to post...<SPECULATION> I think Petey is hurt. It would obviously be hush-hush considering where we are in the standings. I think if this was 2022-23 instead, Petey gets shut down by the training staff for a month or so. But the GM and coaching staff run the team, not the trainers. And there's "enhancements to reduce pain" that can be given to keep players going. It just seems too sharp of a drop-off over the past 3 weeks to not think that something is amiss.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think most teams only have 3 to 5 top6 forwards.  Even the best of the best don't have 6 top 6 forwards... they have complementary guys that help the stars do what they do.

This is 100% accurate. The definition of a TOP6F will always have an asterisk...is the player a top6 on ANY NHL team (think of the superstar of the league) or is the player a top6 on a top team, middle team or basement dweller. Two recent examples would have to be Beauvillier and Kuzmenko. Both middle 6 players on a top team such as us, but instantly shoot to the top line of crappy teams like Chi-town and Cow-town. That in-roster (context) analysis is critical to the definition. I've always felt that lines are built more on duos, and it was more about chemistry with the 3rd person rather than being a legit top 3 (ie/ who rides shotgun with the Sedins = Burrows / McDavid and Draisaitl = Hyman / McKinnon and Rantanen = Landeskog...when healthy etc etc etc). Not necessarily a legit top3 player, but a complimentary player. And in a true top 6 this probably happens 2x over for most teams...2 top duos with 2 additional complimentary players.

• Like 1