[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Boston Bruins, Feb 24, 4PM PST (7PM EST), Rogers Arena, the SPLAT THE RAT (for Reals this time) GAME & START A NEW STREAK M'Kay!

Rocket-68

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Good back to the basics, and take a deep breath. This is a solid team this year. 

Rutherford and Alvin, can/could have potentially have the greatest retool job in history. Let’s see what happens.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Bring the fight and passion Canucks displayed on January 7, 2012 - please and thank you - if brought then book this game as a win.

A few weeks ago I was thinking, can they beat the good teams like Boston, Dallas, Toronto, etc. Now I'm thinking can they beat .500 teams? Coming out of the All Star break, the team is playing .500 hockey and acting like they didn't lose to several .500 hockey teams. 

THREE keys to the game *and* the Canucks this year

1- Meet pressure with pressure.

2 - stop puck watching & be in proper position

3 - SHOOT the puck. How many games now that the Canucks have been passing 5-5 and on the PP? Many games recently where their shot count is very low.

Special teams have become our achilles heel. Poor PP and declining PK is losing the Canucks games. In the playoffs it will be the difference maker in a series.

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Psst. That was 12 years ago....

And it has been that long without the Canucks coming close to demonstrating same passion in any game since then when playing Boston ... if you can point to a more recent example, I will Edit my post.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

And it has been that long without the Canucks coming close to demonstrating same in any game since then when playing Boston ... if you can point to a more recent example, I will Edit my post.

In the past twelve years it's few and far between on drafting big, fast players. Be it forwards or defence. The fact that Soucy and Joshua seem to be one of the few that fit that bill, which is why we struggle so much without them. Doesn't matter how much motivation players like Hogs, and Garland have. Vancouver struggles against bigger teams. We need player with the 3 S's. Speed, Size, and Skill. We always seem to get 2 out of 3.

And when we spend a 1st on on a big fast player he turns out to be Jake Virtanen. Ugh.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

In the past twelve years it's few and far between on drafting big, fast players. Be it forwards or defence. The fact that Soucy and Joshua seem to be one of the few that fit that bill, which is why we struggle so much without them. Doesn't matter how much motivation players like Hogs, and Garland have. Vancouver struggles against bigger teams. We need player with the 3 S's. Speed, Size, and Skill. We always seem to get 2 out of 3.

And when we spend a 1st on on a big fast player he turns out to be Jake Virtanen. Ugh.

You do bring up a good point so looked up NHL team rankings by Weight and Height and added below. By Weight, Canucks clock in at the #27 position giving away on average about 9 lbs. Doesn't seem like much but during some games it does seem like it is. In an earlier thread I mused having a wish list that included Petey adding 20 - 25lbs of size to his frame without losing any of the wheels / hands / hockey IQ / etc ... it would make a world of difference in his game if he was able to accomplish that feat - in my humble opinion anyway. 

As for Jake, he was having decent years in the WHL but as in many cases that doesn't always translate into a solid NHL player - tools something something no toolbox something something. With the benefit of hindsight, Nylander, Larkin, Ehlers, Tuch, Pastrnak, Kemp, etc were all available. In Benning's defense NHL Central Scouting had him at #6 for NA skaters but still ... scouting missed a lot of good players when picking him up. But hey, we grabbed Thatcher Demko in the second round to make up for that fumble. 

Spoiler

Sorted by Height

image.thumb.png.df287c24f015c8e72a4d7928f7dcdc40.png

Sorted by Weight

image.thumb.png.19231e76d61bfa1746fbd7b1041ed91e.png

Source: https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2023-2024

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Present skid notwithstanding,  can you imagine how good this team would/could be if our PP/PK were even slightly better than league average?  

Would be nice if the special teams personel actually showed up on the scoreboard in a positive way the next few games.  

• Like 2