[PGT] Canucks Bruins -- slump over!!!!

HKSR

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t wanna hear any more crap about how Zadorov is a #5-6 Dman.  hHe was literally one of the best players on the ice tonight and played like a top pairing Dman.  He can literally skate circles around Cole and Soucy.  

With Zadorov you need to let him loose, like Tocchet did tonight.  He is a force when he plays like this.  Offensively and defensively.  He is a great skater, so let him skate.  Put him with a defensive Dman like Tanev and you will have a great 2nd pairing. 

When he brings it through the neutral zone at full speed nobody challenges his big ass.  

• ThereItIs 2

4 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Petey really struggles in these playoff style games against elite teams where the checking is tighter than usual. I don’t see how he can still be asking for 12 million when JT makes 8 and drives the bus almost every game.

I’ve been a huge Petey supporter over the years, but man, if he doesn’t pick it up in games like this plus the playoffs… I wouldn’t mind entertaining offers for him as ludicrous as that sounds. We could still get an absolute haul for him.

Just don't even go there until we see what he brings in the actual playoffs. I get as frustrated with him at times as anyone but have a very strong feeling no one's gonna wanna think about losing him once all is said n' done on this season

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

To me trading for Guentzel would make us cup favs.  it also means one of Pete Lindholm Guentzel is not part of our future. Lind guentzel staying would give us the flex to consider dak Blueger going fwd.  

Guentzel - Pettersson - Lindholm

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Kessel

That would probably be the deepest forward core we've ever had. We'd have to be really sure Guentzel is the last piece we need though. 

13 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

Just don't even go there until we see what he brings in the actual playoffs. I get as frustrated with him at times as anyone but have a very strong feeling no one's gonna wanna think about losing him once all is said n' done on this season

It's been hard to see him struggle this year. No idea what the deal is.

But this talk about him not being suitable for playoff hockey, well, he was better than a ppg in the bubble playoffs, and got 5 points against Vegas in those 7 games. Considering how we were shut out 3 games, he was still producing.

Maybe he's dealing with something, or maybe just needs better lineages (or gelling with Lindy and Hogs?) Along with a little rest (that the whole team needs). I'm not ready to write him off, that's for sure.

Let's bring on the playoffs and see what happens! :towel:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm thinking the favorable travel over the balance of the regular season and home ice advantage will help us out in the first round. 

And JT is Not-A-Dickhead.  Kes has a patent on HHD:  Hotheaded Hockey Dickhead, see also Ryan Kesler, Canuck Dickheaded Ego-Tripper, etc.

5 hours ago, Joshrips said:

In the Nashville series Kesler was the best player in the league at that time. Then came the torn labrum. But overall, I agree.

Kesler was very good for us.  I remember waiting for what seemed like 4-Ev-errr for Kesler to learn to do more than skate like a scalded cat.

He took a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time to develop his game.  Burr helped him a LOT.

(Happy CAPS Day - Nux are BACK IN FIRST PLACE!)

Very intense and well-coached game by both teams. Boston weren't on the top of their game but either were we, but I'd say it looked like both teams are humming at 75% right now. Boston did so well to keep it tight through the first two periods, they do a great job of boxing out forwards in front of their own crease. Usually their breakouts are so clean but our forecheck really caused them issues at times which I don't think they're used to. Their goalie obviously soaked everything in and they're very in-sync between their D and goaltenders. Very similar team defensively to the Canucks. Offensively they're really not as good as they seem. We gifted them the two goals and a bunch of good scoring chances they didn't deserve. The first goal was an absolute mess by Hronek, trying to step up in the neutral zone then having his man blow past him. The second goal was the opposite of what Boston was doing - we let their man in the crease and crunch him into Demko, bad play by Myers and Cole. 

Up front Petey and Hoglander looked good together and even Mikheyev got a bit into the game. They didn't score but they looked threatening when they were on the ice and grinded out some good chances. Hoglander really makes every line he plays on tick well.

Boeser and Miller were buzzing from the get-go, they had some good shots all night long. Obviously they come up big late in the game to tie and win it, but I thought they looked solid when all the other stars were split up. Boeser with the screen on the Hronek shot deserves an assist he'll never get as well, I think we should leave Lindholm off that job because Boeser does it so well and is so under-rated at his positioning and screening and tips. To beat a goalie who's on top of his game against a big strong defence, that's what you have to do. You'd never think it'd be Boeser of all people but he knows how to score goals against top opposition so fair play to him. Unreal wrist shot then obviously a great tip in and screen.

Lindholm made a lot of good defensive plays tonight, broke up a lot of chances by himself but offensively there's nothing there. He had some nice rushes with Garland though but I've said it before - for a projected 8M Selke-worthy guy who cost us 4 pieces, he needs to bring a bit more. I think he does better on a line of his own though.

4th line was a lot better thanks to Blueger as a calming presence so the split centers worked against a deep team in a playoff-like atmosphere.

On defence we were all over the place. Hughes and Hronek had a bad first two periods, Hughes hasn't been wheeling the way he used to, and Hronek made a couple of dumb defensive moves, one which lead to an ugly goal against. Then he goes out and ties the game late. We saw that 6-on-5 worked to a tee, why don't we use his slapshot more on the 5-on-4s? He's got such a heavy shot which is hard to stop, maybe we don't want to injure our own players? He didn't even one-time or really wind up for the goal but he knows how to shoot that puck better than anyone on the team from the blueline so we've got to use it more.

Myers and Cole got caught far too many times tonight and really made me think we shouldn't play the two old slow guys together. Their goal against was a sloppy mess which you can't have in the playoffs, they should be watching the Bruins to see how well they boxed our forwards out and not let the forward plonked in the crease like that.

Zadorov was huge for us, IMO his best game as a Canuck. He knew his role and he played it well. Not only did he knock the wind out of Pasta and a bunch of other Bruins players but no one went through him all game, you could see players try to go around him and attack Juulsen or dump it around him. He was a physical wall tonight and walked the line carefully, no dumb plays. Juulsen was like a mini-Zadorov tonight and had another strong performance, some good hits and clean breakout passes.

Demko with a very tidy performance, he didn't have to stop a lot later on but made some big saves and very few rebounds.

On the whole, this was a good game by two teams who have been struggling but played a very tidy game and had a good playoff atmosphere, so was important we could prove to ourselves that we could come out on top. I think this game proved who our real stars are - Petey was barely anywhere to be seen but Miller and Boeser carried this team to the victory so they're the ones we're going to surely lean on.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the game. AWESOME! Why wasn't there a penalty when Suter was getting whacked I'm the crease with 2 minutes to go? 

Zad's had a monster game! If you read Tocc's lips he said "nice" on Zad's carry into the zone late in the game. Zad foe net front on the PP please.

Boes is bes.

McVoy is a hot head we need to get under his skin next time. 

Bains brings much needed grit to the bottom unit. Good board battles too.

Miller was a leader today 8 hits.

Let's hope this sparks a turn around. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya just struggled to finish. It’s never been effort with him for me but finish but he isn’t a second line player either. He has 21 goals as a career high in goals so that should tell you enough of what he is. 

21 goals in 53 games.

Unfortunately, injuries seem to be an ongoing problem. He may never have really fully recovered from the wrist injury he had in that career season.

1 hour ago, Steamer4GM said:

Hopefully they don't do anything drastic this year as would like to see how he performs in the playoffs.  Sometimes, I do feel he is trying to be something he is not accustom to and would like him just to play smart and use everyone around him as he has done in the past.  Maybe the development coaches can help him with body positioning / puck protection - buy him a few bits of time to make that smart decision as he does get knocked around a bit by the heavier players (who doesn't?)  I look at Aho - not the biggest guy - but sure is effective in most areas and just plays a fine overall game and this is what I hope to continuously see in Petey

Nonetheless, very happy with the overall team effort tonight especially having to deal with a hot goalie in Swayman.

Just Win.jpg

I know its just 1 game, but having the 3 amigos down the middle ( Miller, Petey Lindholm ) might get a run here. It might not look sexy but geezus it gets the job done. Marchand was absolutely invisible tonight. Having the 3 guys playing centre gets the foot soldiers more involved and just elevates the team top to bottom. Lafferty and PDG were good tonight, and Mikeyev was noticeable for a change

If this is going to be the configuration going forward, there is a path now where Phil the Thrill makes his mark on the team (assuming hes fit)

Edited by filthy animal