[PGT] Canucks Bruins -- slump over!!!!

HKSR

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Linden relegated to the third line, PK, no power play time, at times seemed like the only player who had a chance of setting up a play or scoring on Turco, his last memorable series  (Luongo vs Turco).    St. Louis revenge series against Keenan...seemed like if we had a Linden on our team, no matter how bad ass the first round team was, we'd get past them.  

There's a reason why his career playoff PGP, is higher then the Sedins and other great players.   Others also seemed to have an ability to amp it up as Canucks...Babych, Ronning, Courtnall, Adam's, Larionov ... it started with an inspiring performance in 89 for sure from 18 year old kid.   

Miller for sure has that in him too.    Felt he was a throwback when we got him, it's nice to see someone play with passion, finish checks and throw hits, the best part of the "little things".    Under Tochett, we've seen the best Miller yet too.    The Bruce Bump - that Miller was on a 120 point pace and playing like one of the best in the league.   Brock having a big game was great to see too. 

Even "disappointing" Jim Sandlak had a bit of Linden in him.  The best Canuck in the 1992 playoffs who wasn't the Lifeline, Babych or McLean.  Those 1989 Canucks were something...forgotten Brian Bradley actually tied Linden for the team scoring lead in the playoffs, "Suitcase" Steve Weeks came off the bench for one of the wins in goal, 5 points in 7 games for Robert Nordmark on the blueline, two of the Canucks' three game winning goals from Paul Reinhart on defense, 6 points in 7 games for Petri Skriko in what was actually only his second ever appearance in the playoffs (kind of crazy that in a great Canucks career he only saw the playoffs twice in Vancouver - showed up just after 82 and left just before the roaring 90s Canucks).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

59 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Even when JT had his mini slump, the effort was still there. #9 has shown up practically every night for this team since the beginning. Took it to the next level tonight though

For sure he has.   MIN.   One of the weirdest games ever.    Look at him go!  EP's "slump"... We are so fortunate, to have these guys on our team.   Brocks not too far down either.     This is one of the most offensively gifted teams in club history. 

IMG_3703.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Guntrix said:

Inb4 people use a secondary assist to say Petey showed up. He needs to pick it up.

He centered a line with two players who most recently were fourth liners, yet they dominated their time on ice. 70% puck control, three high danger chances to none. Not Petey's fault that Mik can't pull the trigger on a perfect setup. It was Petey's high hockey IQ, realizing the Bruins had four skaters on the ice in OT, so he threw the pass into the middle of them to force the penalty call that won the game. Petey wasn't great, but he was fine. His face offs we're good, his 200 foot game was on point, people have to let up on the Petey hate, he's going to get his $12-12.5 million either here or elsewhere, hopefully it's here, because as Reach and Sat so correctly noted, if he leaves they won't be able to replace him. He is a Top-10 center in this league and is on pace to finish his second consecutive 100 point season, the Canucks haven't had a player do that in the cap era. Hank and Danny each only had one 100 point season in their careers. Nine of the top ten centers in the league are still with the team that drafted them. You can't sign top centers, they don't make it to free agency, you have to draft them. If you have a high pick, you pray that there is a top center available, because the only way to acquire one is a top five pick and some luck.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sativika said:

Went through all 12 pages. Don't do that often. I guess I yearned for more good vibes from our Dragon Slaying type game tonight.

Some peeps mentioning Jerome Iginla and Ryan Kesler in the same breath with our John Tanner Miller. That's damn good company to be associated with to be sure. 

Now all he needs to do one better than either of those guys is hoist Lord Stanley as a Canuck!

Bingo..... spot on amigo. 

6 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Brother how things going you might ask for new avatar sadly

Nah.... 

Petey is gonna take off in 5-4-3-2-1 and lead us all the way with his brother in arms... and then sign the deal that keeps him here for the next 3-4 years..

Maybe 😃.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

He centered a line with two players who most recently were fourth liners, yet they dominated their time on ice. 70% puck control, three high danger chances to none. Not Petey's fault that Mik can't pull the trigger on a perfect setup. It was Petey's high hockey IQ, realizing the Bruins had four skaters on the ice in OT, so he threw the pass into the middle of them to force the penalty call that won the game. Petey wasn't great, but he was fine. His face offs we're good, his 200 foot game was on point, people have to let up on the Petey hate, he's going to get his $12-12.5 million either here or elsewhere, hopefully it's here, because as Reach and Sat so correctly noted, if he leaves they won't be able to replace him. He is a Top-10 center in this league and is on pace to finish his second consecutive 100 point season, the Canucks haven't had a player do that in the cap era. Hank and Danny each only had one 100 point season in their careers. Nine of the top ten centers in the league are still with the team that drafted them. You can't sign top centers, they don't make it to free agency, you have to draft them. If you have a high pick, you pray that there is a top center available, because the only way to acquire one is a top five pick and some luck.

Offhand I don't think any Canuck but Bure has ever had two 100 point seasons, in a row or not in a row.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Hammertime said:

One thing I have always said about Brock when this team is snake bitten in a game and is getting opportunities but just can't seem to buy one. Brock is the guy I look to he often is a big factor or the goal scorer in thise situations where a goalie is standing on his head and if feels like he's impenetrable. Brock is the Penetrator. 

:hurhur:

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Offhand I don't think any Canuck but Bure has ever had two 100 point seasons, in a row or not in a row.

I think you're right, but I was too lazy to do the research on my phone, and didn't want some twit coming at me with something like, Oh Yeah? Tony Tanti. I knew the cap era was right because I looked that up a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked that Hank and Dank only had one hundred point season each.

16 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

I think you're right, but I was too lazy to do the research on my phone, and didn't want some twit coming at me with something like, Oh Yeah? Tony Tanti. I knew the cap era was right because I looked that up a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked that Hank and Dank only had one hundred point season each.

The Sedins had two careers.   One as reliable first line players, who eventually lost their speed and a supporting cast, the other half learning how to emerge into first line players.   It's part of the reason those who've followed the team since they were drafted,  know just how hard it is to find guys like Miller and EP. 

As for Miller, 99 is awfully close.    Without checking, Bure twice (also scored 60 or so goals each time), then Mogilny, Naslund once (also just missed out on the Art Ross to Forsberg, was actually ahead all year, came down to the final couple games), then Hank (114?) then Daniel.    Bure's goal scoring records seem safe.   Hanks single season for sure is something either Miller or EP could challenge though.     Funny thing ... pretty sure we have more 100 point plus guys then TO's had.   Sittler?  Gilmour for sure.   Don't think Sundin ever did it there (did it with the Nords though)... Even pre-cap, these guys didn't grow on trees. 

Edit:  Checked.  TO Sittler had two in the 70's, and Gilmour had two in the 90's just as the dead puck era was creeping in.  92-93, 93-94, 127 points as their high bar.   Remember Cherry gushing over him all the time, and felt he was the best player in the game back then.    That was the only TO team that I liked, Clark was a beauty.   It was nice to dispose of them in 94,  also a testament, to how good the Canucks were.    Barely put up a fight compared to CAL.   Also,  the 92-93 Leafs/LA series, was one of the best i've watched.    Mathews has one (so far) too,  giving them 5 total.    Love that we've got them beat.    And looking to add to that as well.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 2

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The Sedins had two careers.   One as reliable first line players, who eventually lost their speed and a supporting cast, the other half learning how to emerge into first line players.   It's part of the reason those who've followed the team since they were drafted,  know just how hard it is to find guys like Miller and EP. 

As for Miller, 99 is awfully close.    Without checking, Bure twice (also scored 60 or so goals each time), then Mogilny, Naslund once (also just missed out on the Art Ross to Forsberg, was actually ahead all year, came down to the final couple games), then Hank (114?) then Daniel.    Bure's goal scoring records seem safe.   Hanks single season for sure is something either Miller or EP could challenge though.     Funny thing ... pretty sure we have more 100 point plus guys then TO's had.   Sittler?  Gilmour for sure.   Don't think Sundin ever did it there (did it with the Nords though)... Even pre-cap, these guys didn't grow on trees. 

Edit:  Checked.  TO Sittler had two in the 70's, and Gilmour had two in the 90's just as the dead puck era was creeping in.  92-93, 93-94, 127 points as their high bar.   Remember Cherry gushing over him all the time, and felt he was the best player in the game back then.    That was the only TO team that I liked, Clark was a beauty.   It was nice to dispose of them in 94,  also a testament, to how good the Canucks were.    Barely put up a fight compared to CAL.   Also,  the 92-93 Leafs/LA series, was one of the best i've watched.    Mathews has one (so far) too,  giving them 5 total.    Love that we've got them beat.    And looking to add to that as well.  

Yeah that Leafs team with Clark and Gilmour was fun. There is a montage of Clark highlights, fights, hits, goals, set to Hero of the Day by Metallica. Back when my knees let me play beer league, it was the hype video I'd watch before game time, good stuff.

I watched the Sedins entire careers, there was period around the Presidents trophies and cup run when they played like they had ESP, loved them with Burr. It just surprised me that Petey, as a 25-year-old, will match both of them together in 100 point seasons this year. He is a special player, and will only get better for another four or five years. He will also have two more 100 point seasons that Eichel.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Yeah that Leafs team with Clark and Gilmour was fun. There is a montage of Clark highlights, fights, hits, goals, set to Hero of the Day by Metallica. Back when my knees let me play beer league, it was the hype video I'd watch before game time, good stuff.

Clark had a wickedly hard wrist shot... not sure if it's on the video, but remember late in his career he wristed it so hard, caught the goalie in the mask, and broke it.     Remembered did his legendary fights (almost always against much bigger guys) and that handlebar mustache ... like he went straight from the game to the local Hells Angel chapter. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Clark had a wickedly hard wrist shot... not sure if it's on the video, but remember late in his career he wristed it so hard, caught the goalie in the mask, and broke it.     Remembered did his legendary fights (almost always against much bigger guys) and that handlebar mustache ... like he went straight from the game to the local Hells Angel chapter. 

Lol, I always thought he looked like an old time sheriff, laying down the law. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

One of my favourite players in the late 80's into the 90's... that continued.   Was something of a gem for the game really. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Everybody seemed (and probably was) tougher back in the mustache days.  Mel Bridgman, Terry Ruskowski, Dave Babych, Snepsts and Tiger, Clark Gillies had some Sam Elliott action going.

s-l1200.webp

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Toronto has actually been big on the 50 goal scorers who don't often or not even ever get 100 points.  Andreychuk, Vaive, now Matthews.

I liked the 80s Leafs a fair bit.  Vaive and Derlago, Bunny Larocque at the end of his career, Borje, Dan Daoust, Ed Olczyk, Gary Nylund (another guy robbed of a great career by injuries), Rick St. Croix / Allan Bester.  Mike Palmateer was a fun goalie to watch.  Saw a clip of him going down for a two pad stack in an old timers game a couple years ago and looked like he broke his hip.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Yeah I was mildly surprised that the Sedins were rushed into the Hall of Fame at the first opportunity.  Their peak was briefer and lower than someone like Bernie Nicholls (five seasons with 95+ points and topped out at 150).  Not complaining to see it though.  Maybe I just spent too many years hearing from other markets about how we overrate Linden and Smyl and expected more of the same with the Sedins.

And other than one off goalies like Jose Theodore, it is almost impossible it seems for a skater to win either form of the league MVP (or the Art Ross) and not get into the HOF.  You would have to really Jonathan Cheechoo it with your career and so far it has only been done with goals.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Toronto has actually been big on the 50 goal scorers who don't often or not even ever get 100 points.  Andreychuk, Vaive, now Matthews.

I liked the 80s Leafs a fair bit.  Vaive and Derlago, Bunny Larocque at the end of his career, Borje, Dan Daoust, Ed Olczyk, Gary Nylund (another guy robbed of a great career by injuries), Rick St. Croix / Allan Bester.  Mike Palmateer was a fun goalie to watch.  Saw a clip of him going down for a two pad stack in an old timers game a couple years ago and looked like he broke his hip.

Lanny McDonald (early 80's)... also had/has serious mustache game. 

• MillerTime 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Everybody seemed (and probably was) tougher back in the mustache days.  Mel Bridgman, Terry Ruskowski, Dave Babych, Snepsts and Tiger, Clark Gillies had some Sam Elliott action going.

s-l1200.webp

Always thought Snepsts had a Burt Reynolds vibe

• MillerTime 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lanny McDonald (early 80's)... also had/has serious mustache game. 

Yeah that was a power stache.  Even guys like Denis Savard had the stache back then.  When he got rid of it he looked like Alice Cooper without the makeup.

Ric Nattress, Dirk Graham, Ivan Boldirev, Paul MacLean, Glenn Anderson, Mike Gartner, Charlie Simmer, Glenn Resch, Reg Kerr, Ron Delorme...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah that was a power stache.  Even guys like Denis Savard had the stache back then.  When he got rid of it he looked like Alice Cooper without the makeup.

Ric Nattress, Dirk Graham, Ivan Boldirev, Paul MacLean, Glenn Anderson, Mike Gartner, Charlie Simmer, Glenn Resch, Reg Kerr, Ron Delorme...

Charlie Huddy, Ray Borque, Langway, Robinson ... Some of these guys, look just odd without them...like Tom Selleck (WTF is happening!) shaving his off....almost made my kids cry one time I shaved mine "grow it back now!!" lol...  

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2
  • MillerTime 1