Are we playing Demko too much?

Yes.

It's not so much that I'm worried about Demko. I do think Demko can handle the work load he's a beast in his prime like Luo he would play every game if we let him.

We need to get Casey going though. Put that Minni game in the rear view. He needs to feel the puck. 

We should be worried about Hughes minutes this to me is the biggest concern down the stretch. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Yes.

It's not so much that I'm worried about Demko. I do think Demko can handle the work load he's a beast in his prime like Luo he would play every game if we let him.

We need to get Casey going though. Put that Minni game in the rear view. He needs to feel the puck. 

We should be worried about Hughes minutes this to me is the biggest concern down the stretch. 

Yup.100% this^

• Cheers 1

Demko played 64 games 2021-22

This season he’s at 44 games played. Should probably give him another 10 games. Rest to Desmith. I think the coaches would’ve played Desmith more this last stretch but the Canucks were hunting for a win to end the losing streak

I’m not so sure Demko is overworked so much as there’s been some brutal defensive lapses that lead to untimely goals.

Other times, he’s made spectacular saves and kept us in the games.

Having said that, it would be smarter to give more games down the stretch to DeSmith, if for no other reason to ensure Demko is healthy when the playoffs start. If DeSmith plays great and increases his trade value, that’s an added bonus. 

• Vintage 1

DeSmith will play guaranteed 3 more games of the 22 leaving 19.  That puts Demko at 63.  (DeSmith needs 20 for them to qualify for the Jennings)
If we have no playoff position to lose I could see DeSmith with more games.  I am sure Home ice in the Western conference will be the biggest concern.  Secondary will be Home ice for all the playoffs.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:47 PM, Don Brodka Jr said:

Have you watched DeSmith his last few starts? That's exactly why Demko has been handling the heavy workload! After that game in Minnesota I'd be happy if we didn't have to see Casey DeSmith the rest of the season! 

We’re playing too much Demko meaning less time for desmith.. he comes in cold and that’s why he struggles. He played more frequently earlier and he was great. He needs more regular ice time. Hence Demko is playing too much. And that has been the problem in the past. We’ve been relying on our starter too much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/26/2024 at 1:45 AM, BabychStache said:

Yes. 

need to rest him down the stretch. CDS can cover. 

The problem with DeSmith is that he’s been playing like Corky Thatcher from Life Goes On in his last few starts.  Buddy needs to step up.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:06 AM, mmkk said:

Demko's been a stud but we need him rested for a long playoff run. He's our lifeline. We should give Desmith more starts down the stretch imo. Thoughts?

You should make this a POLL !

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hindsight being 20 20 we obviously should have given DeSmith at least 3 games here and there. Especially in a tough Feb sched

I'm no expert, but as a TV broadcast viewer of every Canuck game? Yea. Maybe. I mean, was it necessary to play him that much in February? What deemed it so?!?!??!?

Was there a panic to extend our position in the standings for whatever reasons? Pad stats? See what we're made of?  I'm sure fatigue played a part in the injury issue.

The mind is willing, but the body not necessarily so. We witnessed visual fatigue on some of our players in that leap year day game in L.A. Especially Huggy. I know. I've been there. When ya' feel like that, you tell yourself to buck up and go. Fine and dandy, but it's a given that mistakes can be made; a stupid give-away here, a dumb penalty there, basically fatigue's role plays on the mind and ya' make questionable decisions. And the result in Demko's case, ends up as an avoidable injury. 

I guess the plan was too hope February was gonna pad our position in the standings so we could rest key players via maintenance days and such. But Demko, as the one for our playoff success plan. Well? He gets his rest now and he'll return fresh as a rose. From what I recall of Demmer's injury history, he just stepped right in like nothing's changed after post injury.  So I'm not worried.

Get well Thatcher and rest up. We're depending on ya' dude!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Sativika
  • Cheers 1

Over playing Demko, and not giving Mikheyev a few games off, have been 2 of the biggest mistakes by the coaching staff.

And could somebody please fix the special teams? Way too inconsistent.

Maybe alarmist but this could be a much more serious injury that was evident. The fact he didn't look totally impaired, no noticeable favouring a leg might mean an internal thing.

His history of hip operations are very similar to Schneider's.

If he felt a "grinding" in the joint it might not have been obvious.

The time line almost suggests a procedure to clean out a hip joint.

Schneider fell off a cliff and Demko's injuries seem to be almost identical in time lost.

2020/2021 he played with an injury and ended up missing time, operation.

2021/2022 he pushed hard until the team was out of contention, operation

2022/2023 missed a good portion of the season rehabbing the summer procedure which has a time line that corresponds

2023/2024 Starts healthy and starts 49 of 64 games then just leaves the ice. The next info is knee, last time it was groin or hamstring or sports hernia, never a hip but it is well known he has had three hip operations, Schnieder had hip operations.

Just thinking this could be worse than thought, career ending even.

What is the recovery time for hip arthroscopy?

Most people recover from a hip arthroscopy in around six weeks. Your exact time to heal fully will depend on why you needed surgery.

Oh and the need to us crutches for a bit so saying a knee issue could fit too.

He will come back I'm sure but their might be a "best before" tag now. This playoff even if not 100% he can take enough NASID painkillers to get by.

Edited by TheGuardian