Appreciation thread for JT Miller

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Remember when some people wanted him traded 

Yes, there were a lot of losers at HF Canucks that wanted this since Miller was perceived as a Jim Benning guy.

Check out this thread made by one of their posters from a few years ago:  

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/jt-miller-vs-ryan-kesler.2895336/

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

I remember thinking at the time prioritizing JT over Horvat felt like a mistake. I have never been more wrong. 

Definitely explains why I'm not a GM. This management group knew exactly what they were doing.

Even if JT declines later in this contract, I'll remind myself how good he was at the start of it. There's not a chance this team is first in the NHL without Miller. If they're going anywhere in the playoffs, it'll likely be on JT's back. He has the talent and the sheer force of will to carry a team. There are very few players in the league that can do that, but he has proven to me this year that he's one of them. 

I felt in 2011 that Kesler was like that - but JT's offensive abilities far outshine Kesler's. 

It's an exciting time to be a Canucks fan. Thank you JT!

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 3

I think it's important to compare where he was during the worst days to where he is at today.  The turnaround has been truly remarkable.  He has matured and improved his game to a whole other level, and he's done so at an age nobody expected.  He has gone from being untradeable to being... untradeable.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think it's important to compare where he was during the worst days to where he is at today.  The turnaround has been truly remarkable.  He has matured and improved his game to a whole other level, and he's done so at an age nobody expected.  He has gone from being untradeable to being... untradeable.

So from when? Be specific so I can tell you you're wrong.

He's been a ppg player pretty much since he got here.

The team was awful for a bit....but he was the one guy who at times tried to drag them out of the funk. Remember, our d was atrocious so that wasn't really his fault.

• Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 3

49 minutes ago, ploughcat07 said:

I remember thinking at the time prioritizing JT over Horvat felt like a mistake. I have never been more wrong. 

Definitely explains why I'm not a GM. This management group knew exactly what they were doing.

Even if JT declines later in this contract, I'll remind myself how good he was at the start of it. There's not a chance this team is first in the NHL without Miller. If they're going anywhere in the playoffs, it'll likely be on JT's back. He has the talent and the sheer force of will to carry a team. There are very few players in the league that can do that, but he has proven to me this year that he's one of them. 

I felt in 2011 that Kesler was like that - but JT's offensive abilities far outshine Kesler's. 

It's an exciting time to be a Canucks fan. Thank you JT!

I fought tooth and nail on CDC saying how we should not trade away Miller.  He's as heart and soul as you can get for a team.

I'm doing the same thing now for Garland.  Hope people catch on soon that if we need to unload cap, it should be Mikheyev before Garland.

• Like 3

He's been a monster, the last few few games especially. Either putting the team on his back, or dragging them into the fight with him. I love seeing that. Yeah he can get a little too frustrated or emotional at times, but all that says to me is that he HATES losing with a passion. Really happy we kept him, and his contract as it stands, is pretty team friendly.

• MillerTime 2

37 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

So from when? Be specific so I can tell you you're wrong.

He's been a ppg player pretty much since he got here.

The team was awful for a bit....but he was the one guy who at times tried to drag them out of the funk. Remember, our d was atrocious so that wasn't really his fault.

If that is what you truly believe (that he's never played poorly), then he deserves zero credit for any supposed improvements made this year.  Scoring 3 points in a clutch game?  No big deal - he was always like this.  Makes the all-star game?  No big deal - he was always an all-star.

J.T. Miller doesn't become the leader he is now without struggling from that poor performance last year.  Suggesting he was never bad completely betrays all the hard work he's put in.

37 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

What are you talking about? Where was he? Untradable? Worst days? Nonsense!

image.thumb.png.bd07344984db209afd01ac628d85b048.png

He's done nothing but perform since day one. There have been ups and higher ups. Untradable is the dumbest narrative I've ever heard. 

If that is the case, then he hasn't improved at all this year.  He's just playing like he always has.  And something like this doesn't make any sense:

image.png.92baaa254616aa779ec5c2fa176be653.png

Keep in mind those 22-23 numbers looked even worse before Rick Tocchet stepped in. 

Had Horvat been extended, there is no doubt in my mind Miller would've been traded.  That $56M extension made it very hard for other teams to consider acquiring him.  

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If that is what you truly believe (that he's never played poorly), then he deserves zero credit for any supposed improvements made this year.  Scoring 3 points in a clutch game?  No big deal - he was always like this.  Makes the all-star game?  No big deal - he was always an all-star.

J.T. Miller doesn't become the leader he is now without struggling from that poor performance last year.  Suggesting he was never bad completely betrays all the hard work he's put in.

Bad? You call PPG with 32g and 37 primary assists bad? 

He doesn't have to be bad to improve. He's gone from very good to better if anything that shows the competitor he is. He isn't satisfied with very good. He's always improving. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think I know what you're trying to do, give JT credit for his work ethic, which has always been there. 

But Bruce had a shite system, and it would be hard for anyone to not look on paper like they had a down year, defensively in particular. I attribute any drop last season to the shit show that it was on the ice and in the locker room until Tocc showed up. 

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If that is the case, then he hasn't improved at all this year.  He's just playing like he always has.  And something like this doesn't make any sense:

image.png.92baaa254616aa779ec5c2fa176be653.png

Keep in mind those 22-23 numbers looked even worse before Rick Tocchet stepped in. 

Had Horvat been extended, there is no doubt in my mind Miller would've been traded.  That $56M extension made it very hard for other teams to consider acquiring him.  

You're just flat out wrong. Where did I say he hasn't improved? All I'm saying is he was never bad. He put up 82 points in the season you're referring to as "bad"

Edited by Hammertime
  • chaos 1

Now that he's in control of his emotions instead of the other way around,  he truly is a complete player. 

I hope he can sustain this level of play not only this year,  but into the post season and many,  many seasons afterwards. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Still irritates me how vastly underrated he is around the league. I'd argue he's probably no worse than the 5th or 6th best centre in the entire league this year, yet most fans outside of Vancouver would probably rank him something like 13th.

He'll make them eat their word.... 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1