Appreciation thread for JT Miller

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Bad? You call PPG with 32g and 37 primary assists bad? 

He doesn't have to be bad to improve. He's gone from very good to better if anything that shows the competitor he is. He isn't satisfied with very good. He's always improving. 

I believe there are no excuses for poor play.  There were players who continued to excel even under Boudreau's disorganized coaching system.

I'm combining your arguments with Deb's here, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.  She said Miller's "backchecking was lazy because he was out of gas" and that "he gave up on plays every once in awhile and the optics weren't good".  But at the same time, you're both saying he was always a great player and he was always delivering.  

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

You're just flat out wrong. Where did I say he hasn't improved? All I'm saying is he was never bad. He put up 82 points in the season you're referring to as "bad"

I am talking about last year under Bruce Boudreau.  I'm saying his level of play dropped during the first half of the 22-23 season.  Had to pull out my calculator, but he scored 38 points in 46 games before Tocchet.  After Tocchet got hired, he finished with 44 points in 36 games.  Now, 38 points in 46 games is nothing to scoff at, but his overall level of play was in a poor place, and his emotions were clearly getting in the way of his skill.

And yes, @-dlc- - I have seen Hughes smash his stick.  I even made a meme about it the very next day:

canuckssticksmashedited.gif.a5af65a6552e921f6a1a881161927221.gif

But no, smashing your stick is never a good thing in itself.  It only becomes a good thing when they turn that negative energy into something more productive.  You were always a big tennis fan - is that ever a good look for the player?  

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Alright well if you want to get personal and be complete dick about it go ahead

I'm just saying your standards for what you consider "bad" is finishing 27th in league scoring with 200 hits and 55% in the dot. Those hits landed by majority against the top 100 players in the league. How many other guys can say that and what are their names?

Edited by Hammertime

Love his intensity.
My biggest fear, which I have mentioned many times before on the old forums, is his bad penalties.
I just hope he doesn't cost us a game or a series with his bad, and badly timed penalties.

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I'm just saying your standards for what you consider "bad" is finishing 27th in league scoring. 

No, you're engaging in personal attacks.  If you wanted to say that, you could've.  But you didn't.  You decided to be an asshole instead.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

So from when? Be specific so I can tell you you're wrong.

He's been a ppg player pretty much since he got here.

The team was awful for a bit....but he was the one guy who at times tried to drag them out of the funk. Remember, our d was atrocious so that wasn't really his fault.

Miller has literally been a stud since his arrival in Vancouver.  He was outplaying BO from his first season.  Our team was crap so he had to deal with crappy linemates.  He put up 99 points when we weren't even a playoff team.  He was always very good, but under Tocchet he has literally turned into s superstar and a top 10 player in the NHL.  There are not more than 5 forwards right now that are better than Miller.  He is basically a 100 point power forward, the only one in the entire NHL.

He did us a solid by signing for $8 million.  His value today is $12 million.  He is the defacto captain of the Vancouver Canucks...

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 3

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller has literally been a stud since his arrival in Vancouver.  He was outplaying BO from his first season.  Our team was crap so he had to deal with crappy linemates.  He put up 99 points when we weren't even a playoff team.  He was always very good, but under Tocchet he has literally turned into s superstar and a top 10 player in the NHL.  There are not more than 5 forwards right now that are better than Miller.  He is basically a 100 point power forward, the only one in the entire NHL.

He did us a solid by signing for $8 million.  His value today is $12 million.  He is the defacto captain of the Vancouver Canucks...

I always liked him as a player as yes he plays hard and can teach players like Podz to be better.

I disliked him swearing but under RT he has more control and seems like said has a more complete game.

I was one thinking of trading him at the time as our cap situation was going to hurt us. Somehow Alvin has made it work so far which surprised me.

Miller is a top player and glad we kept him.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If that is what you truly believe (that he's never played poorly), then he deserves zero credit for any supposed improvements made this year.  Scoring 3 points in a clutch game?  No big deal - he was always like this.  Makes the all-star game?  No big deal - he was always an all-star.

J.T. Miller doesn't become the leader he is now without struggling from that poor performance last year.  Suggesting he was never bad completely betrays all the hard work he's put in.

I didn't say that....but you're exaggerating my (valid) points and that really just helps to justify them. You don't have a response and that's obvious. 

What about his 99 point season? He was already on the path to where he is now whether you recognize it or not. You're ignoring how good he was before they hit the skids.

The entire team was bad...if there was one guy who really gave them life at times, it was JT.

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I didn't say that....but you're exaggerating my (valid) points and that really just helps to justify them. You don't have a response and that's obvious. 

What about his 99 point season? He was already on the path to where he is now whether you recognize it or not. You're ignoring how good he was before they hit the skids.

The entire team was bad...if there was one guy who really gave them life at times, it was JT.

And you're ignoring  how poorly he played for that early half-season under Bruce Boudreau in late 2022.  I'm not talking about his 99 point season.  I'm not talking about this season.  I'm not even talking about that half-season with Tocchet last year.  I'm talking about a short period in which he regressed tremendously.  The team sucked, his overall play sucked, and his attitude only made things worse.

All you do is make endless excuses for his behaviour during that time.  "He smashed his stick but that's okay because others did it too" "He snapped at the goalie but that's all just media bias making a big deal out of it" "He didn't backcheck on that goal but he was tired so that's okay" "He had to shoulder all the defensive responsibility under a coach that ignored defence so that's why his numbers went down" You have excuses for every little thing he's done wrong.  It's as if you're worshipping him like he's your child who can do no wrong.

He was smashing his stick and NOT getting shit done for the team.  He wasn't backchecking and got KEVIN BIEKSA to openly criticize him.  He snapped at our own goaltender for not heading to the bench quickly enough.  His offensive/defensive metrics plummeted while other players like Pettersson/Horvat maintained an elite level of play.  

You just can't get this idea around your head that your favourite player had some serious flaws to take care of, which he now has.  Look at Nathan MacKinnon.  That guy had an EXTREME temper and expressed his frustration early in his career.  He snapped at teammates, he snapped at the coach, and it absolutely affected his play.  

Honestly - have you watched any single athlete in any single sport completely lose their shit and somehow that ended up being a good thing for them?  Did you not consider for a moment that a coach like Tocchet managed to corral that anger and turn it into something productive?  And how come you never responded to my tennis comparison?  Have you ever seen a tennis player smash his racquet in a "productive" way?  You need to accept the fact that venting one's frustration out at others is completely unprofessional, and Miller likely had to apologize to Delia after the game.  You also need to accept that his poor defensive game overall had to get worked on under the new coaches and he has now firmly established himself as a two-way centre.  THIS year.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I prefer the title "Content Inducer"

Well I can help you with the content inducing.  Here is my favourite quote from that thread, from a poster I actually like so will remain nameless:

"Insane isn't it. Allvin and co should treat Miller as a cap dump if it means we can re-sign Bo and Kuz and get this done. Obviously, we'd have to take cap back in any deal"

This quote was from January 7, 2023...   

Miller.gif

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

And you're ignoring  how poorly he played for that early half-season under Bruce Boudreau in late 2022.  I'm not talking about his 99 point season.  I'm not talking about this season.  I'm not even talking about that half-season with Tocchet last year.  I'm talking about a short period in which he regressed tremendously.  The team sucked, his overall play sucked, and his attitude only made things worse.

All you do is make endless excuses for his behaviour during that time.  "He smashed his stick but that's okay because others did it too" "He snapped at the goalie but that's all just media bias making a big deal out of it" "He didn't backcheck on that goal but he was tired so that's okay" "He had to shoulder all the defensive responsibility under a coach that ignored defence so that's why his numbers went down" You have excuses for every little thing he's done wrong.  It's as if you're worshipping him like he's your child who can do no wrong.

He was smashing his stick and NOT getting shit done for the team.  He wasn't backchecking and got KEVIN BIEKSA to openly criticize him.  He snapped at our own goaltender for not heading to the bench quickly enough.  His offensive/defensive metrics plummeted while other players like Pettersson/Horvat maintained an elite level of play.  

You just can't get this idea around your head that your favourite player had some serious flaws to take care of, which he now has.  Look at Nathan MacKinnon.  That guy had an EXTREME temper and expressed his frustration early in his career.  He snapped at teammates, he snapped at the coach, and it absolutely affected his play.  

Honestly - have you watched any single athlete in any single sport completely lose their shit and somehow that ended up being a good thing for them?  Did you not consider for a moment that a coach like Tocchet managed to corral that anger and turn it into something productive?  And how come you never responded to my tennis comparison?  Have you ever seen a tennis player smash his racquet in a "productive" way?  You need to accept the fact that venting one's frustration out at others is completely unprofessional, and Miller likely had to apologize to Delia after the game.  You also need to accept that his poor defensive game overall had to get worked on under the new coaches and he has now firmly established himself as a two-way centre.  THIS year.

So you are saying any player not getting 99 points are not great players???

Miller has proven himself to be a great two way player for years now.

What are you smoking???

His play COVID playoffs means nothing???

Playoffs is where it counts and his play getting there made him a dominant two way player.

Before he was good but since being here has made himself a superstar.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Superbrat?

In response to McEnroe's on-court outbursts during the Championships, the All England Club declined to accord McEnroe honorary club membership, an honor normally given to singles champions after their first victory. McEnroe responded by not attending the traditional champions' dinner that evening. The honor was eventually granted McEnroe as a repeat champion.

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

John McEnroe was infamous for his temper tantrums and smashing rackets.  I believe it helped him to be the second best player of his era and allowed him to win 7 gram slam titles.  The only player better than him at that time was Bjorn Borg...

Even with his worst temper tantrum ever, he still managed to win the tournament...

The day McEnroe threw one of his most famous tantrums (tennismajors.com)

They even made a movie out of his worst tantrums, further cementing his place as a tennis God.  His tantrums were so over the top that they became must watch tv.  McEnroe's matches usually had the highest tv coverage of any tennis matches...

Breaking point: how John McEnroe's biggest meltdown was turned into a movie | Film | The Guardian

McEnroe's temper tantrums made his legacy according to the creator of the movie...

“My life would have been completely different if I had won that match,” the world No 1 would later lament. But Faraut suspects it may have been the making of him. It gave his story some texture, ensured a lasting legacy. “It’s very hard to win everything,” Faraut says. “And art is not about achieving perfection. Losing that match showed McEnroe’s human dimension. He wasn’t a robot. He wasn’t a god. I see him as a superhero with a super weakness.”

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well I can help you with the content inducing.  Here is my favourite quote from that thread, from a poster I actually like so will remain nameless:

"Insane isn't it. Allvin and co should treat Miller as a cap dump if it means we can re-sign Bo and Kuz and get this done. Obviously, we'd have to take cap back in any deal"

This quote was from January 7, 2023...   

Miller.gif

Well played Petey, well played.

• MillerTime 1