Rare case containing coveted Wayne Gretzky rookie cards sells for $3.7M US

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That card was a PSA 10 which means it has to be perfect, only a handful of them exist. Problem was that the 1979 set seriously lacked quality control and cards were off center or had frayed edges. Odds of finding a PSA 10 in that one case are slim to none. I'd bet my slightly used wife on the fact that if they opened the case they'd end up losing money, heck, I'd even give 2:1 odds.

You sir win the comment of the day award, LOL, your point is taken.

• Cheers 1

On 2/27/2024 at 6:22 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

The cards may grade well as far as surface, but printing, trimming and especially centering were as bad as my spelling is. No guarantee of a perfect specimen.

The value may lie in the rarity of an unopened case.

Out of the 27 expected cards.  2 would be the top card in the pack (or bottom card) and have the gum stuck to it. Basically ruining those 2.

79/80 also have very bad centering.  I would guess he might get 0-2 PSA 10s.  Then another 20 being 8-9s or OC 9s.  This set is hard to find 10s for any players.  They are all very rare.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Winning bidder of classic hockey cards looks to find owner who cares more about them

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/winning-bidder-of-classic-hockey-cards-looks-to-find-owner-who-cares-more-about-them-8599815

The winning bidder of more than a dozen unopened boxes of classic hockey cards uncovered in a Regina home says he's feeling remorse over his $3.7-million-dollar purchase after hearing how sad the runner-up was upon losing out.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:16 PM, cripplereh said:

He has that much money he can pay Wayne to be there and sign it, then put it in a crystal case for safe keeping.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:54 PM, gwarrior said:

Yeah, no shit. Get Wayne to sign em all, then auction em off. Recoup the money, and then some. And of course keep 1.

Wayne notoriously doesn't sign cards without intentionally damaging them 😆

On 2/26/2024 at 11:04 PM, gwarrior said:

Think they said there could be up to 27 of them in there. But that also means they gotta open all the packs up. Can you imagine if you spent $5 million canadian, and there isn't even 1 Gretzky rookie card in the lot?

Imagine finding Brent or Keith Gretzky’s rookie cards in there.