[PGT] Penguins at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

Well that's just it; He's not doing himself any favors to himself or even us if we had a notion to move him. Hard guy to figure out.

It's only regular season and he's still on 100pt pace.  How much he's worth depends on the market. I only care about his playoff performance, which was good during COVID cup.  We'll see how he does this playoff.   Nux has control still.  It's a non issue. What's annoying is the talk everyday about his contract.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It's only regular season and he's still on 100pt pace.  How much he's worth depends on the market. I only care about his playoff performance, which was good during COVID cup.  We'll see how he does this playoff.   Nux has control still.  It's a non issue. What's annoying is the talk everyday about his contract.  

Yah even the freakin fakers that dummies like me and you fall for. 🤣.. Whatever; We've seen these hot and cold scenarios before with Pettersson

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yah even the freakin fakers that dummies like me and you fall for. 🤣.. Whatever; We've seen these hot and cold scenarios before with Pettersson

Again, here we are.  #1 in NHL still.

83 pts in Feb and already equaled the entire season last yr. 

Yet this threads makes it sound like they are a trash team and need to trade one of their top 3 players. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

He was the problem on both of the Penguins goals. Terrible defense on the first one, and a stupid penalty to set up a long 5 on 3 for the second. He needs to look in the mirror and figure out HE'S the problem

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rovy said:

He was the problem on both of the Penguins goals. Terrible defense on the first one, and a stupid penalty to set up a long 5 on 3 for the second. He needs to look in the mirror and figure out HE'S the problem

Bleuger gave the puck away on the first goal. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Bleuger gave the puck away on the first goal. 

Yes, and that's definitely on him, but Myers attempting to defend after that looked like my 4 year old when he's on the ice...

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, JamesB said:

At least we got a point, making it hard for other teams in the West to gain much ground. But it would have been a lot nicer to get the win. Here is what stood out for me.

1. It was a close game (obviously) but I thought the Canucks were the better team overall and the advanced stats are consistent with that. The Canucks had a solid lead in expected goals (both at 5-on-5 and overall). 

2. Miller continues to play great. And Boeser continues to be very good. I saw Boeser win some races tonight and play hard at both ends of the ice.  That line had another great night.

3. Petey's line (with Mik and Hoggy) scored a nice goal and had good numbers. Glad to see Mik at least get an assist tonight. But that line was on the ice for the tying goal for Pittsburgh in the 3rd period and Toc was critical of their play on that goal, pointing out that Hoggy left the middle of the ice open. Petey also could have played that sequence better. (Of course, it was unlucky that Juulsen was hurt blocking a shot before the goal, making it hard for him to move around). Hoggy tried to make too many fancy plays tonight. There were a couple of times when he should have just shot the puck. But I would keep that line together as they are playing pretty well.

4. The other two Pittsburgh regulation goals were due to "mistakes". The first goal was due to Blueger giving the puck away in his own end. He actually made two bad plays and ended up fumbling the puck into a great chance for Pittsburgh. The second goal was the 5-on-3 PP after Myers took a penalty while on the PK. Myers played a good game otherwise, but that is always the problem with Myers -- too many careless penalties. Part of the problem is his height, but he should have been able to adjust for that by now. 

5. The Lindholm-Bains-Garland was crushed in the advanced stats tonight. And Garland mishandled the puck in OT, leading directly to the game-winning goal.  I think Garland has faded a lot since Joshua was injured. I really like Bains and I want him to do well. And I think he does have future with the team as a good bottom-6 forward, but I am not sure he is good enough right now to handle the role he is playing. I am kind of disappointed in Lindholm. Since joining the Canucks, he has picked up a few points playing with high end players, but I do not see evidence of him driving play. The Canucks gave up a lot to get him. I think they need more from him to make the trade worthwhile.  

Bottom line: I was hoping for better but there were quite a few good signs. The Canucks were pretty good tonight and not far from being very good again. 

Agree with you on pretty much everything.

Blueger I found it strange he had one of his worst games as a Canuck defensively and it was when he got to play further down the lineup on home ice.

Dakota Joshua is looking very important to our team with us missing his size, forecheck, board play and chemistry with garland.

something to note is garlands play has been dropping off.

yes because Dak is hurt but I think garland has been getting nailed, absolutely blasted most games now and it started a little before Dak got hurt sticking up for him. 

so there’s a part of me worried for how he’s going to stay healthy and effective come the playoffs where he will get less calls and have less protection from the refs. And I’m sure Dak will hesitate before dropping the gloves again with his hand healing / healed.

it’s something to keep an eye on. And it sucks we don’t have that line together.

bains I’ve liked so far but I’m with you and not sure if he’s going to stick the rest of the season. 

lindholm I agree the complete upside / impact we traded for hasn’t been realized but I still can see it working. What I don’t understand is why he and Petey together didn’t fit well. You’d think defensively theyd been solid too and they weren’t together.

• Cheers 3

As much as it looks like a bunch of the forwards are in a slump, to me it isn't coincidence and largely the defence that is killing the offence.

Unlike earlier in the season, our D aren't really moving the puck.  It seems like most of the time they get the puck out of the zone it ends up on the opposition's stick, icing, or out of play and a whistle. 

Add in an anemic power player with three goals in the last ten games (and 10 goals against on the PK over the same stretch), it isn't really a recipe for great results right now.

Hopefully they can shake it.  The good news is we have a great cushion in the standings and still managing to play .500 hockey while being in a slump.  That makes it really hard for the opposition to gain ground.  Vegas has lost 1 point to us over that stretch and Edmonton has only gained 1 point.  They have to be gaining at a rate a whole lot faster than that to pass us.  

Petterson only has 3 points in the last six games.  1 goal, 1 secondary assist, and a primary assist tonight on what was effectively a solo effort by Miller on the SHG.  He should do better than that rate over the rest of the season (lets hope so with all the premium minutes he is getting), so there is hope.  

• Cheers 1

Real shame and a bit unlucky to not win, we weren't bad at all and certainly the better team but lost it in small moments here and there.

Miller was brilliant again, Boeser looked great, special shout out to Suter who is brilliant on the forecheck and deserves his spot on the top line.

Petey and Hoglander looked good again, Hogs is sadly the best player on that line and looks the most exciting at times, Mikheyev had some chances but no finish yet again but is looking better.

Lindholm was invisible offensively but made some decent plays on the PK and defensively. Garland had a bad night but really just that mess up defensively. Bains was alright but nothing special.

Blueger and Lafferty with strong games.

On defence, Hughes was good at times but is getting his pocket picked far too often for my liking. Dirty turnover in his own zone lead to a nice chance against. Hronek was solid most of the night but looked like a fool on the OT winner, can't let that happen. Our top defencemen are finally coming back down to Earth and making mistakes all over the place. I've said it before and I'll say it again - forget about getting forwards, we need an extra defenceman to take a load off these guys because they're going to be a lot more tired come playoff time. 

Zadorov looked pretty average tonight, you never know what you're going to get with him. Got walked by a grinder at one point, takes a bad penalty. Myers was good all night but again takes a stupid penalty at the worst time, but I thought he looked good most of the night. Cole was very strong. Juulsen made some nice blocks but then just couldn't get the puck out of his own zone all night long.

No need to analyze Demko's game, he's always consistent and was fabulous, especially in OT, a real shame we couldn't help him out at all. Disgusting performance in OT by the whole team.

On the whole, we played well but used to find ways to win these games whereas now we're finding ways to lose them. 0.500 since the All star break is unacceptable but I guess we were never going to be the best team in the league all year. We just have to find a way to get back to being a 0.600 team. No jeopardy of losing the playoff race or maybe even the division title but we can't keep stringing losses together. 

Not the result I wanted but a point is still better than nothing considering the late PP the Pens got in the third which could of been damaging.  I also noticed in the past set of games, seems opponents are constantly trying to draw man advantages almost every hit or stick check - knowing some of the problems our PK have experienced - hopefully the refs can get a better grasp of this  - and essentially let the teams play 5 on 5 - unless it's a blatant penalty that nullifies a chance.  Canucks also need to be better with their stick work + use their body a bit more instead.  

Big game coming up Thursday against the Kings - a team with several good players but plays a heavy systematic style. 

Regardless, not too upset about the point against an Eastern opponent - rest up tonight for an important divisional contest on Thursday.

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

Disappointing yes. 
Worrying no.

I'm hoping Soucy and Joshua coming back soon will be the shot in the arm the team needs for more consistent play.

Lets just keep ourselves from the edge until the trade deadline.  The Petey narrative has too many of us distracted from the possibility of some real reinforcements coming in the next 10 days. Given our place in the standings I'm still thinking the over/under for this team on trades coming up should be set at 2.5.

3 hours ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Serious question.  Who would you rather have, Bo Horvat at 8.5 million, or Elias Pettersson at 12 million.

Petey for 10 locked up for 8 years ... It would have been possible in the 2020 off season 

Edited by iinatcc

Funny how every PGT ends up being about Petey, he was solid tonight and this loss had nothing to do with him. This was a bunch of mistakes by all of our depth guys. Can't use fatigue as an excuse, we just had a nice two day break. We're just struggling right now and not executing and mistakes are bound to happen, we just have to limit them. The OT goal sums it up - we don't get the puck out from our forwards, our goalie makes a brilliant few saves (but you could argue, gives up a big rebound) and then the defenceman Hronek has it go straight through his legs and dances right around him. 2-3 mistakes leads to a goal against. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Petey for 10 locked up for 8 years ... It would have been possible in the 2020 off season 

Im not prepared for watching 8 more years of pettersons uncommitted   approach to his game and the Canucks Org. I don’t think he is either. 

• Vintage 1

We need time to get back to elite, we're putting it together slowly, i think we'll be fine by the california road trip. 

I like miller's pp unit, other one needs adjusting. One more veteran forward would help, i know Jr said no rentals but eberle could help with depth scoring

Bains is good but he's not ready to contribute yet. Would send him down, and bring up podz. 

That was unfortunate. 
One lucky goal and a lot of time killing penalties did is in.

If this team can get out of the first round when the whistles get put away we will be tough to beat but man the first round where they call everything will be tough, especially if we get the Oilers who always get the benefit of the doubt with the refs. 
It really just goes to show you how important it is we find a way to resign Joshua. Not being able to throw out the Joshua-Blueger-Garland line when need a character shift is really hurting Tocch’s ability. 

8 hours ago, Sneakystink said:

He's definitely not earning his TOI. Played over 13 minutes too tonight and wiffed a couple great chances. Not sure why he's getting the opportunities he is at this point

Mik is getting the opportunities purely out of a lack of option. We realistically only have 3 top 6 forwards. Miller, BB6 and Petey. Maybe 4 if Lindholm was going. Hogz has done very well, but I still believe he is the kind of player you need winning on the 3rd line. 

So Mik and Suter are both up because we really don't have anyone else.

Edited by JayDangles
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Again, here we are.  #1 in NHL still.

83 pts in Feb and already equaled the entire season last yr. 

Yet this threads makes it sound like they are a trash team and need to trade one of their top 3 players. 

They have been absolute dog shit lately. 5W in their last 12. Simply not good enough. When they play well, they are hard to beat - but they haven't been consistent, at all.