[PGT] Penguins at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Funny how every PGT ends up being about Petey, he was solid tonight and this loss had nothing to do with him. This was a bunch of mistakes by all of our depth guys. Can't use fatigue as an excuse, we just had a nice two day break. We're just struggling right now and not executing and mistakes are bound to happen, we just have to limit them. The OT goal sums it up - we don't get the puck out from our forwards, our goalie makes a brilliant few saves (but you could argue, gives up a big rebound) and then the defenceman Hronek has it go straight through his legs and dances right around him. 2-3 mistakes leads to a goal against. 

Well,

It's becoming a common theme with Petey. He isn't winning us games, that's for sure.

That also translates to him not stopping the other team from winning either. His defensive play has really struggled. As a top player he's expected to be a major contributor every couple of games. When it's only one out of every 12 games, that's becoming a problem.

Even if you watch him in OT. He made a terrible read on the puck which gave up the 2 on 1 which should have ended the game there.

The reality is Petey has become the new whipping boy because he is not playing to his own level. The level he set, not the fans. 

I'm not gonna lie, his lack of contract is definitely a factor, but he is totally capable of playing like he deserves a major raise. Just like Joshua is, however when you play like he is, but are likely going to be asking for $12m+, fans are going to get a little restless.

No one blaming Petey directly for this, or many other losses, but folks are pretty tired of not seeing him be a major contributor. Especially when we have Miller to point to as an example of effort.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

At least we got a point, making it hard for other teams in the West to gain much ground. But it would have been a lot nicer to get the win. Here is what stood out for me.

1. It was a close game (obviously) but I thought the Canucks were the better team overall and the advanced stats are consistent with that. The Canucks had a solid lead in expected goals (both at 5-on-5 and overall). 

2. Miller continues to play great. And Boeser continues to be very good. I saw Boeser win some races tonight and play hard at both ends of the ice.  That line had another great night.

3. Petey's line (with Mik and Hoggy) scored a nice goal and had good numbers. Glad to see Mik at least get an assist tonight. But that line was on the ice for the tying goal for Pittsburgh in the 3rd period and Toc was critical of their play on that goal, pointing out that Hoggy left the middle of the ice open. Petey also could have played that sequence better. (Of course, it was unlucky that Juulsen was hurt blocking a shot before the goal, making it hard for him to move around). Hoggy tried to make too many fancy plays tonight. There were a couple of times when he should have just shot the puck. But I would keep that line together as they are playing pretty well.

4. The other two Pittsburgh regulation goals were due to "mistakes". The first goal was due to Blueger giving the puck away in his own end. He actually made two bad plays and ended up fumbling the puck into a great chance for Pittsburgh. The second goal was the 5-on-3 PP after Myers took a penalty while on the PK. Myers played a good game otherwise, but that is always the problem with Myers -- too many careless penalties. Part of the problem is his height, but he should have been able to adjust for that by now. 

5. The Lindholm-Bains-Garland was crushed in the advanced stats tonight. And Garland mishandled the puck in OT, leading directly to the game-winning goal.  I think Garland has faded a lot since Joshua was injured. I really like Bains and I want him to do well. And I think he does have future with the team as a good bottom-6 forward, but I am not sure he is good enough right now to handle the role he is playing. I am kind of disappointed in Lindholm. Since joining the Canucks, he has picked up a few points playing with high end players, but I do not see evidence of him driving play. The Canucks gave up a lot to get him. I think they need more from him to make the trade worthwhile.  

Bottom line: I was hoping for better but there were quite a few good signs. The Canucks were pretty good tonight and not far from being very good again. 

Great "Devil's advocate" type post. So much negative criticism and blaming after reading through the first few pages.  Nice to see cooler heads posting in the last couple o' pages!

2 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

Disappointing yes. 
Worrying no.

I'm hoping Soucy and Joshua coming back soon will be the shot in the arm the team needs for more consistent play.

Lets just keep ourselves from the edge until the trade deadline.  The Petey narrative has too many of us distracted from the possibility of some real reinforcements coming in the next 10 days. Given our place in the standings I'm still thinking the over/under for this team on trades coming up should be set at 2.5.

Yea. My sentiments as well. 

It'll be a big sigh of relief getting those two back in the lineup for sure. A lil' bit of adversity faced with them out, but we'll be all the better from it. And besides, as mentioned earlier..................................... We still be in 1st!  Excellent!  Most triumphant!:towel:👍

16 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

We need time to get back to elite, we're putting it together slowly, i think we'll be fine by the california road trip. 

I like miller's pp unit, other one needs adjusting. One more veteran forward would help, i know Jr said no rentals but eberle could help with depth scoring

Bains is good but he's not ready to contribute yet. Would send him down, and bring up podz

Better to put it together slowly rather than quickly. At least, if you will,  we're afforded the time and luxury to get it together. Most certainly our stellar season and staying top 3 makes it so.

Veteran forward? Hmmmm....could that be Philsy down in the farm? I'd like to think so. Jordan Eberle? Uh...I don't think so. I. believe Kessel (Provided he makes the team!) can do what Eberle can do and at a cheaper price. Plus Kessel's Stanley Cup pedigree be advantageous to our inexperienced Canucks.

I like what I see in Bains. Give him time. He'll shine because of it. I mean, he already is, isn't he?

Sure. Bring up Podz. Let him get some time with the big club. Why not.

• Cheers 1

Bains Lindholm Garland had 3 shot attempts and conceded 12 

outshot 0-8. What a disastrous performance. Might be time to send Bains down and “call” up Kessel. 

Lindholm at this rate is playing himself into free agency. He can’t carry his own line (as advertised in Calgary) and should stick to playing wing.

Edited by Odd.

Just now, spook007 said:

Well he has 9 GWG in 61 games so it must be more than 1 in 12? 

I think we ought to leave the Petey bashing until the off season. Lets see where this takes us... All the talk of fists for Petey are great, but when will that help us?

We'll likely end up with a return similar to what Calgary did with Tkachuk, and that was less than an overwhelming return.

Lindholm was expected to make $8M on a new contract, so if that is what 8M gives you, I suggest Petey is worth more... 

He is having a down year, for whatever reason... injury, fatigue, loss of form etc etc... he is still only 25 and is our top producer each year... 

It just seems like people needs to take him down for whatever reason.... He is making $7.3M... this year and the next... NOT $12M... if he signs a $12M contract by all means com plain, but I for one think he is excellent value for money just now?

This market is like that....love you when you're hot and throw daggers when you run cold.

It's why some don't want to play in a fishbowl market. Everyone's ready to pounce.

You have to have a thick skin and not absorb the stuff that swirls around in the air. JT faced it all last year, this year it's Petey's turn in the fire. Sadly. Just get behind our players...we've seen both good and bad from them but that's part of being....human.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This loss was disappointing, even though we got the loser point. As I saw it, the Canucks were the better team in the first, but really let up in the 2nd and 3rd, allowing the Pens to get back into it.

Too many lost puck battles and too many passes that didn't get through....This could have, and probably should have, been a W...

That being said, there were some positives. Miller's Shorty was huge and completely swung the momentum away from the Penguins. I could have gotten ugly for the 'Nucks if not for that goal...

Up next: First game against the Kings this season. I noticed that Kempe didn't play against the Flames last night, after being injured in the previous game against the Oil....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

outshot 0-8. What a disastrous performance. Might be time to send Bains down and “call” up Kessel. 

Lindholm at this rate is playing himself into free agency. He can’t carry his own line (as advertised in Calgary) and should stick to playing wing.

How far away is Joshua? Bains has been decent but getting Blueger, Garland, and Joshua back together is imperative. That way Lindholm can be moved on to Miller's line and, at the very least, Miller and Joshua's line can be a constant threat. Hoglander's line could use a better player than Mikeyev though. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

Just now, -dlc- said:

This market is like that....love you when you're hot and throw daggers when you run cold.

It's why some don't want to play in a fishbowl market. Everyone's ready to pounce.

You have to have a thick skin and not absorb the stuff that swirls around in the air. JT faced it all last year, this year it's Petey's turn in the fire. Sadly. Just get behind our players...we've seen both good and bad from them but that's part of being....human.

Spot on...

Could understand if they were dragging the team down and we were bottom of the league, that folk vent their frustrations, but the team is top of the league... 

Sometimes its as if they each scored 100 goals and they were 20 points ahead of the nearest challenger, we would be unhappy because with another win we could have been 22 points ahead... 

I wonder if folks have forgotten, what the last 10 years has been like...

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Time to rotate Podz up.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, 24K said:

Nah it wasn't. 

Kuz is scratched in Calgary these days. 

9 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

They’ve been winning with Kuz’s presence. You can’t underestimate his lighthearted personality and all those smiles in your locker room. Now there is less smiling

I agree with 24k, Kuz is not a playoff answer, even sitting on the bench

If he isn't on the ice on his teams and his locker room presence is so important , wouldn't hiring a clown, or comedian between periods be a much cheaper option ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ballisticsports said:

I agree with 24k, Kuz is not a playoff answer, even sitting on the bench

If he isn't on the ice on his teams and his locker room presence is so important , wouldn't hiring a clown, or comedian between periods be a much cheaper option ?

That's why they are looking at bringing in Kessel. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Well,

It's becoming a common theme with Petey. He isn't winning us games, that's for sure.

That also translates to him not stopping the other team from winning either. His defensive play has really struggled. As a top player he's expected to be a major contributor every couple of games. When it's only one out of every 12 games, that's becoming a problem.

Even if you watch him in OT. He made a terrible read on the puck which gave up the 2 on 1 which should have ended the game there.

The reality is Petey has become the new whipping boy because he is not playing to his own level. The level he set, not the fans. 

I'm not gonna lie, his lack of contract is definitely a factor, but he is totally capable of playing like he deserves a major raise. Just like Joshua is, however when you play like he is, but are likely going to be asking for $12m+, fans are going to get a little restless.

No one blaming Petey directly for this, or many other losses, but folks are pretty tired of not seeing him be a major contributor. Especially when we have Miller to point to as an example of effort.

I think the cap dictates a lot of this. When Boeser was scoring 15-20 goals on a 6.6M deal, he was the whipping boy and rightly so. When Garland was playing like trash on a 5M deal, he was. When Kuzmenko couldn't get it going despite costing us 5.5M, he was.

At 7M Petey is still a steal but of course these reports of 12M have come out and suddenly people think he costs us that much. We're not there yet, far from it. I get that there's a worry we'll sign him to a monstrous deal and he won't perform to it's standards, but that's always a risk signing any young player. He's playing like a 9-10M player right now, but with younger guys you have to pay a bit of a premium for future potentials and you can't deny that is sky high.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Tanev is exactly what the team needs. 

But flames want a 1st rounder for him.  That's why he's not yet a leafs or oilers.  Flames are waiting until the TDL to get the maximum. 

I remember past Canuck teams doing the same and the player would get hurt before the deadline

Perhaps they are trying to get in playoffs where a hot team can have a Cinderella story before moving him? ( '82 Canucks style)

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Time to rotate Podz up.

I don’t mind Podz up as well but I think they’re going to keep him there until his seasons over like they did with hogs. 

I also think he’s likely going to be used as a trade piece if they are going to go after a defenseman/middle 6 guy.

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How far away is Joshua? Bains has been decent but getting Blueger, Garland, and Joshua back together is imperative. That was Lindholm can be moved on to Miller's line and, at the very least, Miller and Joshua's line can be a constant threat. Hoglander's line could use a better player than Mikeyev though. 

This team is secretive of injuries. We don’t know Jack shit. A week to week can literally mean that or 3 months. 

I mean we don’t even know what actually happened with Brisebois and whether or not he suffered a concussion but his injury was listed as upper body. Soucy was supposed to return a week ago but apparently had a “set back” again no news on that.

its a bit frustrating and puzzling as well. It’s like after the Pearson situstion they don’t want to say anything anymore

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

This team is secretive of injuries. We don’t know Jack shit. A week to week can literally mean that or 3 months. 

I mean we don’t even know what actually happened with Brisebois and whether or not he suffered a concussion but his injury was listed as upper body. Soucy was supposed to return a week ago but apparently had a “set back” again no news on that.

its a bit frustrating and puzzling as well. It’s like after the Pearson situstion they don’t want to say anything anymore

I'm actually a fan of this. Keep it quiet. Let the player heal completely. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2