[PGT] Penguins at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

Seeing the name Lindholm quite a bit. I agree. I would have thought he would have been tickled to death just getting here and away from where he was.

It's not really moving in that direction, been a while now. Hell; Just leave the Miller / Boeser / Hoglander line to gether.

One would have thought Pettersson and Lindholm would have worked great, whoever the third person was. Hate to say lack of motivation, but one 

could take it that way. Couple of guys coming back from injury soon so that should help in the deterence factor (and we do need that.)

JT Miller is leading by example but not enough other players are picking up on the plan.

Took a boo at the schedule and it's going to be a real tester. Hate to see us accumulate all those points and just start pissing them away...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well he has 9 GWG in 61 games so it must be more than 1 in 12? 

I think we ought to leave the Petey bashing until the off season. Lets see where this takes us... All the talk of fists for Petey are great, but when will that help us?

We'll likely end up with a return similar to what Calgary did with Tkachuk, and that was less than an overwhelming return.

Lindholm was expected to make $8M on a new contract, so if that is what 8M gives you, I suggest Petey is worth more... 

He is having a down year, for whatever reason... injury, fatigue, loss of form etc etc... he is still only 25 and is our top producer each year... 

It just seems like people needs to take him down for whatever reason.... He is making $7.3M... this year and the next... NOT $12M... if he signs a $12M contract by all means com plain, but I for one think he is excellent value for money just now?

EP is making $7.3M for only this year. Next year is RFA.  There is no contract yet.  So next year it will be at the very least $10M+.  Or $12M according to the rumour mill.

IF EP just signs the Qualifying Offer, then he can essentially walk into the year after as a UFA.  So Canucks could potentially (however small), lose him for nothing.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

EP is making $7.3M for only this year. Next year is RFA.  There is no contract yet.  So next year it will be at the very least $10M+.  Or $12M according to the rumour mill.

IF EP just signs the Qualifying Offer, then he can essentially walk into the year after as a UFA.  So Canucks could potentially (however small), lose him for nothing.

Sorry yes this year... will change it...

But still only $7.3M for this year... 

If they can't come to an agreement in the summer, he will be traded, which is fair enough. 

But to have a go at him because he has a down period, where his play isn't up to his usual standard is nonsense. His play is definitely worth $10M+ 

He has been our top scorer in his previous years, and is still only 25... Why wouldn't he try to get a good contract. 

I bet there lots off teams that would be prepared to pay him around $10M and with the tax implications, that would more likely be $11M... 

• Cheers 2

Just now, spook007 said:

Sorry yes this year... will change it...

But still only $7.3M for this year... 

If they can't come to an agreement in the summer, he will be traded, which is fair enough. 

But to have a go at him because he has a down period, where his play isn't up to his usual standard is nonsense. His play is definitely worth $10M+ 

He has been our top scorer in his previous years, and is still only 25... Why wouldn't he try to get a good contract. 

I bet there lots off teams that would be prepared to pay him around $10M and with the tax implications, that would more likely be $11M... 

No doubt EP at $10M+ is worth every penny.  It’s when it creeps to McDavid/Matthews territory, then he will be scrutinized and judged amongst the best.  And quite frankly he’s not showing a $12M+ level of play (imo).  I’d be happy if he signed between $10-$11M but that’s unlikely.  Who knows, maybe he’ll give a discount just like Miller.

I was all for trading Miller when it was rumoured he’d get between $9-$10M.  When he signed for $8M, I hopped on the Miller train.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

No doubt EP at $10M+ is worth every penny.  It’s when it creeps to McDavid/Matthews territory, then he will be scrutinized and judged amongst the best.  And quite frankly he’s not showing a $12M+ level of play (imo).  I’d be happy if he signed between $10-$11M but that’s unlikely.  Who knows, maybe he’ll give a discount just like Miller.

I was all for trading Miller when it was rumoured he’d get between $9-$10M.  When he signed for $8M, I hopped on the Miller train.

He might sign for that kind of money... I think, its the length of then contract, that is the issue... With cap going up now, I can easily see a situation where he can sign say 10.5-11 now with a NMC and then hope to cash in like Miller in 3 years...

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Time to rotate Podz up.

Yes, send Bains down and let both have a few games with exposure on the big team,  if needed as injury replacements for playoffs, instead of no exposure, then they head back to farm gearing up confidence in both leagues (if possible promote a few others up for a game or 2 that may be needed as well)?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

Paterson does come up with some interesting stats sometimes.  This has to be a contributor to the so so record since the all star break.  Again, something totally in their control:

Paterson is meatriding the officiating staff pretty hard. 

10 hours ago, Iron Man said:

We need to get rid of Mikheyev. Or start benching him. He's literally useless.

But we'd miss his ...

4 assists in the last....

20 games.

wouldn't we?

/sarcasm

Though a nice big bag of shiny new pucks would be good to have.  Make the trade!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Paterson is meatriding the officiating staff pretty hard. 

Yeah he should look at how many were actually penalties. And look at what’s not being called in the same games on the other team.

head snap backs to draw calls and diving  is out of hand again. 

The Myers high stick in this game is a prime example the guy got himself with his own stick.. lol puts  them 5-3 how many times have we been. Leading and have 5-3 how many 5-3s have the Nucks had. 

how can buttmans nhl have parity if a teams running away in the standings, so all of a sudden we lead the league in minors and draw few. 

Nucks need to figure out a way to kill penalties using a 5-3 strategy when killing 5-4 and put a player cherry picking at Center ice to go for the shorty start pumping shorties and the fabricated penalties will decline. 

Just now, Combover said:

Yeah he should look at how many were actually penalties. And look at what’s not being called in the same games on the other team.

head snap backs to draw calls and diving  is out of hand again. 

The Myers high stick in this game is a prime example the guy got himself with his own stick.. lol puts  them 5-3 how many times have we been. Leading and have 5-3 how many 5-3s have the Nucks had. 

how can buttmans nhl have parity if a teams running away in the standings, so all of a sudden we lead the league in minors and draw few. 

Nucks need to figure out a way to kill penalties using a 5-3 strategy when killing 5-4 and put a player cherry picking at Center ice to go for the shorty start pumping shorties and the fabricated penalties will decline. 

Fabricated penalties will only decline if the league holds the shitty officiating staff to account when they make obviously egregious calls. 

28 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Yes, send Bains down and let both have a few games with exposure on the big team,  if needed as injury replacements for playoffs, instead of no exposure, then they head back to farm gearing up confidence in both leagues (if possible promote a few others up for a game or 2 that may be needed as well)?

you can see Bains has the skill set to be a regular at some point, don't think its now. Let him finish out the year in Abby with this incredible experience he's gained, and kick ass next training camp. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Darius said:

Paterson does come up with some interesting stats sometimes.  This has to be a contributor to the so so record since the all star break.  Again, something totally in their control:

Paterson is out to lunch, there's no way you can look at some of the officiating and think it has been good.

Fans who aren't prepared to criticize play when it's warranted might still have their bar set to low. IMO, expectation with this team have changed this year. All anyone has to do is listen to Tocc speak on the team's play, as he tells it like it is. They haven't been good enough. They're getting too many penalties, their defensive game is terrible, the PP is atrocious, and lots of guys, Petey especially, need to get going. Miller can't do it all out there, and if hearing his name chanted last game doesn't get them going, I don't really know what will.

3 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Paterson is out to lunch, there's no way you can look at some of the officiating and think it has been good.

no doubt but they havent helped themselves with unforced errors that put them down two men short in games like Minnesota with pucks over the glass, needless high sticks etc. 

1 minute ago, Darius said:

no doubt but they havent helped themselves with unforced errors that put them down two men short in games like Minnesota with pucks over the glass, needless high sticks etc. 

Those you can't argue against, but there have been some bizarre phantom calls as well.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fabricated penalties will only decline if the league holds the shitty officiating staff to account when they make obviously egregious calls. 

I think the league is behind the calls how else can you explain who no matter how bad calls are the officials aren’t held accountable. 
having  the nhl major sponsors  gambling sights sure doesn’t give me alot of confidence the league isn’t behind influencing games the officials at just the puppets. 

Towing the nhl line like the Nucks have done for years doesn’t work funny when Gillis called out the officials against Chicago when the officiating was absolutely awful all of a sudden we got equal officiating and won the series.

they got us back in the finals. 

Game management is the exact same thing as rigging only difference One’s become an acceptable term. 
Both create false parity and both put money in the pockets of people in charge.

You can almost see the point when the refs get the call to “manage” the game. 

• Vintage 2

Happy they got a point at least. I'm not expecting the team to dominate every game down the stretch here, as things tighten up with the playoffs getting closer. The great thing is that even in their losses, the Canucks have been right there in almost every game, so nothing fundamental has to change. Just clean up the mistakes and stop taking dumb stick infraction penalties and they'll be fine. Nobody can maintain 100% intensity for an 82 game season, and I'm expecting all the boys to crank it up come playoff time. They have the luxury of not having to scratch and claw to make the playoffs, and I for one don't mind them playing JUST hard enough to be the number one seed in the Pacific 🙂

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you can see Bains has the skill set to be a regular at some point, don't think its now. Let him finish out the year in Abby with this incredible experience he's gained, and kick ass next training camp. 

He'll go back when Dak is ready. I'm not in favor of calling up Podz he's cooking nicely. Bains is obviously ready to play let him settle in a bit so he will be ready when called upon next time he's up. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How far away is Joshua? Bains has been decent but getting Blueger, Garland, and Joshua back together is imperative. That was Lindholm can be moved on to Miller's line and, at the very least, Miller and Joshua's line can be a constant threat. Hoglander's line could use a better player than Mikeyev though. 

Switch it up. Try Podkolzin with Petey and the Hog. 

It's worked before. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Plenty of people on CDC and the media thought the Miller contract was too much when it was announced.  Crickets from them now.  You can't judge a contract based on short term performance, or even one bad yr if they are signed for many yrs like it.  He's only on the first yr of his new contract.  Maybe this is his peak yr.  Maybe JT will continue to perform for a few more yrs.  It's always a risk.  But so far, signing JT instead of Bo was a right move for this team.  

The front office has earned my trust after last summer's major surgery, so I'm not worried what they will do with EP.  Either he will perform to earn a big contract or gets moved.  

• Cheers 1