[PGT] Penguins at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

36 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Was at the game last night.  Finally seeing Crosby up close and live was something I'll never forget.  

I was there for the Golden goal in 2010. 

Best sporting event I've experienced in my life.  If I ever get to see a cup clinching game in Vancouver, that will top it.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Combover said:

I think the league is behind the calls how else can you explain who no matter how bad calls are the officials aren’t held accountable. 
having  the nhl major sponsors  gambling sights sure doesn’t give me alot of confidence the league isn’t behind influencing games the officials at just the puppets. 

Towing the nhl line like the Nucks have done for years doesn’t work funny when Gillis called out the officials against Chicago when the officiating was absolutely awful all of a sudden we got equal officiating and won the series.

they got us back in the finals. 

Game management is the exact same thing as rigging only difference One’s become an acceptable term. 
Both create false parity and both put money in the pockets of people in charge.

You can almost see the point when the refs get the call to “manage” the game. 

The officiating is an issue league wide. The fact that the clowns who run the league don't see it speaks volumes. 

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, he's always had that mentality but he gets frustrated when things unravel and rightfully so. He puts it all out there and if other players aren't expending the same amount of energy or showing an urgency to win, he sometimes lets it vent. Last year with stick smashes and gate slams...Tocchet has helped him channel it better but he's always had the same drive and determination. I've seen him as the engine all along. Even WHEN he maybe missed a backcheck and headed to the bench and he was accused of being lazy. The guy just wants to win and it weighs heavily on him and he isn't afraid to show that.

He's also said it all along...passion and intensity drive him and that can go both ways at times. The same things that fuel his fire and have him such a competitor take a toll when things aren't working. 

Being given the opportunity to shine and become a leader here have provided him a platform to really flourish as a player. What rubbed some the wrong way (him being too vocal and demonstrative) is exactly what this team needed. No quiet lay lowers.

I loved that quote. "we could have killed them in the second instead of letting them back in". He knows what's up. They rest on leads at times and have to go for the jugular instead.

He obviously wasn't happy with the effort by some of his teammates, and he shouldn't have been. I suspect he's at a point, where he is showing full on effort, that he's probably going to be calling on others to step up. He's the emotional and physical leader of the team, and others should be paying attention to his leadership. 

• Cheers 2

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic

I'm alright losing this one. Clearly the better team just unfortunate and for some reason we are making bigger abnormal mistakes than usual.

The hate on Petey is fucking absurd though. Everybody acting as if he's already signed a huge contract. He's literally banking us money right now at his cap hit and people are still pissed at him. He's still producing and everybody here is exaggerative as fuck. Y'all making it seem like he's looking like Mikheyev out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Paterson does come up with some interesting stats sometimes.  This has to be a contributor to the so so record since the all star break.  Again, something totally in their control:

of course that stat doesn’t prove or disprove a bias. If we get too many calls, is it that we are extraordinarily undisciplined? Or that the refs, seeing our position in the league, either consciously or unconsciously, manage the game towards the underdog?

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm alright losing this one. Clearly the better team just unfortunate and for some reason we are making bigger abnormal mistakes than usual.

The hate on Petey is fucking absurd though. Everybody acting as if he's already signed a huge contract. He's literally banking us money right now at his cap hit and people are still pissed at him. He's still producing and everybody here is exaggerative as fuck. Y'all making it seem like he's looking like Mikheyev out there.

The EP line was pretty good for most of the game.  EP had several good chances, wrap arounds etc and didn't finish.  They messed up on the tying goal in third, but partly due to Juuls injury by puck and Demko losing his stick.  The Pens scorer came in off the bench.  Both EP and Mik weren't in position.  

And in OT, EP, QH and BB almost won it if BB buried that chance, but Pens goalie made a big save.   EP could have been better, and but the hate is ridiculous.  One poster even thinks Bo is a better player to keep.  Bo only has 50 pts on the island, +1. 

32 minutes ago, kilgore said:

of course that stat doesn’t prove or disprove a bias. If we get too many calls, is it that we are extraordinarily undisciplined? Or that the refs, seeing our position in the league, either consciously or unconsciously, manage the game towards the underdog?

probably a bit of both.

• Vintage 1

This is all speculation but wouldn't be surprised that Petey constantly getting manhandled and JT thriving and going beast mode is contributing even more to Petterssons shit play. Even Tocchet said some of the guys need to get away from each other and Miller & Boes are separated from Petey & Hughes on pp units. It’s not like this hasn’t happened before with this group..

Not saying they hate each other and trade everyone. Just can sense some tension. Can see it on the ice and in celebrations as well. Once those JT chants started I could just feel it affect Pettersson. 😂 Petey wants to be the man especially with those Messi comments and he’s probably the 4th-5th most important player on the team atm. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Plenty of people on CDC and the media thought the Miller contract was too much when it was announced.  Crickets from them now.

Hardcore crickets. They were all like ... teehee ... teehee ...

And then ...

b34a0bded623110def5435e1ee1987a2.gif

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Happy they got a point at least. I'm not expecting the team to dominate every game down the stretch here, as things tighten up with the playoffs getting closer. The great thing is that even in their losses, the Canucks have been right there in almost every game, so nothing fundamental has to change. Just clean up the mistakes and stop taking dumb stick infraction penalties and they'll be fine. Nobody can maintain 100% intensity for an 82 game season, and I'm expecting all the boys to crank it up come playoff time. They have the luxury of not having to scratch and claw to make the playoffs, and I for one don't mind them playing JUST hard enough to be the number one seed in the Pacific 🙂

I agree about the mistakes. We need to clean up our game. We know that we can win and beat top teams but we're still beating ourselves.

The upside is that we are getting tested through injuries. We all knew this was coming.

Some of the obstacles and changes we've faced have also coincided with the All Star Break. As is the nature of ebbs and flows, I'm pretty confident our game will get tighter and tighter. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

I'll just say this about the penalties and game management side of things ...

We need to get out of the "how it should be" mindset and focus solely on how it is. It's not going to stop. 

That's why cleaning up our mistakes is crucial. We really do need to play near mistake-free hockey. But we do have the advantage of foresight in knowing this is how it will be. So when penalties happen, it's about how we handle it and what we do.

With that foresight, knowing what's coming, it allows us to stay composed, stay focused, and not get rattled. This is in our control.

Beat the refs at the mental game and the long game as much as possible. First and foremost, though, we need to clean up our game.

16 hours ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Serious question.  Who would you rather have, Bo Horvat at 8.5 million, or Elias Pettersson at 12 million.

I would take Horvat For 8.5 mil.,over Pettersson at 12 mil.

But I would add that I am getting quite tired of so many players over valuing them selves. They get the big bucks then become a negative value burden on the team.

• Cheers 1

I don’t think anyone’s ever said that Petey isn’t a good player. He definitely is.

My only concern is that he’s often been treated as a core player on the level of McKinnon, Matthews, etc off of points alone. I don’t think he’s at that level. He gets pushed around and disappears too much in important moments.

I see him as a better version of Nylander. He can put up points (sometimes a lot if he finds a groove) but we shouldn’t be banking on him to lead the team to a cup, but rather serve as a strong complementary piece. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NucksNation said:

This is all speculation but wouldn't be surprised that Petey constantly getting manhandled and JT thriving and going beast mode is contributing even more to Petterssons shit play. Even Tocchet said some of the guys need to get away from each other and Miller & Boes are separated from Petey & Hughes on pp units. It’s not like this hasn’t happened before with this group..

Not saying they hate each other and trade everyone. Just can sense some tension. Can see it on the ice and in celebrations as well. Once those JT chants started I could just feel it affect Pettersson. 😂 Petey wants to be the man especially with those Messi comments and he’s probably the 4th-5th most important player on the team atm. 

I could also feel Petey trying to step it up after those JT chants! 

14 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Agreed. Petey said last summer that he want to play out this year before talking contract. I can respect that and don't have a problem with it. If he does not re-sign in the summer I would trade him then. And he is great value for money at $7.3 million. Unfortunately, the Nylander contract does kind of set the base for Petey at about 12 million to sign long term and I think that is too much. (Toronto overpaid for Nylander.)

2. I thought the Tkachuk trade was a bad deal for Calgary, mainly because I thought Calgary would then feel the need to overpay both Huberdeau and Weegar, which they did. And with Huberdeau at an age where you expect age-related decline to set in and being more of a complementary player than a play driver it did not look good. If the Canucks trade Petey, I hope they do better. I would focus on young players or even futures (draft picks and prospects) of a high enough quality to contribute very soon.  The cap space created by trading Petey (11 or 12 million they don't spend) would also allow moves to help the team now.

3.  Lindholm has been so-so with Canucks. His play with Vancouver (and Calgary earlier in the season) would certainly not justify a cap hit of $8 million or anywhere close to it.

Agree on all 3 points...

My worry is if we end up similar to Calgary, where we have to take cap dump back, to make it work. 
Secondly my concern would also be, that if Petey is traded, we would miss the 2nd year of our 1st window, which could make Hughes decide to seek other new challenges elsewhere... all good players wants to win, that there is limited time, so many don't want to wait for picks and talents to mature. 
As for Lindholm, agree 100%... haven't been particularly impressed by him, but this what was quoted, when we took him on... and as I said if he was worth 8 then Petey is definitely worth 10-11...

But in the end nobody is worth more, than somebody is prepared to pay. 

• Cheers 1