[GDT] L.A Kings @ Vancouver Canucks Thursday Feb 29th @ 7pm pt/10pm et| The Pacific Division Dominance Edition |

John.Tallhouse

Just now, CanuckMan said:

Karlsson didn’t do anything either when he was brought up. Actually noticed him less than Bains. 

It takes multiple call ups and learning how to play at the NHL before you stick.

It will be the same for Bains.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Well then that is a sad state of affairs. Because Hogz was about where Podz was a year ago in Abby, remember? And Bains is not ready at all. I thought Bains would be another Joshua but he is not even close.

Aside from hogz, bains was their best player last season and easily the best this year.......one of the best in the AHL actually.

Podz is playing well and looks good, but so do the other guys.  I don't why that's a negative thing for you

How did we go from top of the League team with most 1st goals, most goals, most wins are leading in 2nd period, to playing .500 hockey? It doesn't seem to matter now if we play a top, middle, or bottom team we losing in the same way. Getting behind early, playing catchup, getting limited shots, etc.

It seems that the league has now figured out how to play the Canucks and the players and Coaches have no idea on what to do to counter the league wide change. 

Playing this way, we look like we'll be out in four straight. The more I watch our smaller players like Garland and EP40 seem like they will have a really tough time in the playoffs when teams play tight, more physical hockey. 

Tocchet really is now being tested on his coaching abilities, not on the game pre All star break, but the last 25 when teams are pushing to get into the playoffs or knock the Canucks out of playoff contention.

• Wiener 1

Just now, AnotherCanucksFan said:

How did we go from top of the League team with most 1st goals, most goals, most wins are leading in 2nd period, to playing .500 hockey? It doesn't seem to matter now if we play a top, middle, or bottom team we losing in the same way. Getting behind early, playing catchup, getting limited shots, etc.

It seems that the league has now figured out how to play the Canucks and the players and Coaches have no idea on what to do to counter the league wide change. 

Playing this way, we look like we'll be out in four straight. The more I watch our smaller players like Garland and EP40 seem like they will have a really tough time in the playoffs when teams play tight, more physical hockey. 

Tocchet really is now being tested on his coaching abilities, not on the game pre All star break, but the last 25 when teams are pushing to get into the playoffs or knock the Canucks out of playoff contention.

Well maybe it is the roster that is the issue. We have a bunch of players that have been called out and haven’t responded. They talk a good game but words are cheap. They need to start playing with desperation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

It shouldn't surprise anyone

I really dont mind if we go into the playoffs on a losing streak, and if anything we might get some good TDL deals if we are not considered a threat from eastern teams.

Its called playing possum, and if the coach puts bad lines out and we lose, he might have a purpose in mind.

It will also help the team to get back on the "who are we to win" mindset, at the right time after the next 20 games

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It shouldn't surprise anyone

Why not?

There were playing consistently good quality hockey and beating everyone up until the All star break. They hadn't even lost 3 games in a row all season. 

They hadn't played this level of hockey for 10 years. It's not just in the goals, but you could see it in their system play and staying in position. But now their play has gotten sloppy.

3 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I really dont mind if we go into the playoffs on a losing streak, and if anything we might get some good TDL deals if we are not considered a threat from eastern teams.

Its called playing possum, and if the coach puts bad lines out and we lose, he might have a purpose in mind.

It will also help the team to get back on the "who are we to win" mindset, at the right time after the next 20 games

There's no way you can think they are throwing games lol

• chaos 1

Why not?

There were playing consistently good quality hockey and beating everyone up until the All star break. They hadn't even lost 3 games in a row all season. 

They hadn't played this level of hockey for 10 years. It's not just in the goals, but you could see it in their system play and staying in position. But now their play has gotten sloppy.

This was always going to be the stretch that was going to expose their weaknesses.  People have been talking about since December 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Aside from hogz, bains was their best player last season and easily the best this year.......one of the best in the AHL actually.

Podz is playing well and looks good, but so do the other guys.  I don't why that's a negative thing for you

Hogs was not outstanding in the AHL but he had already played in the NHL before.  Now that he is back he is better than he played in the AHL.

Podz is the same. He was in NHL and demoted to learn... when someone thinks Bains or Karlson or Ratti is above Podz on the callup list I get sad.

4 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I definitely don't think it's planned. The players are just making stupid plays, getting dumb penalties, and overall acting like they can just score their way out of messes. It's not working out!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Someone said 5-1 LA…

One win in 7… 

i dunno…

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

Sure did & I predicted 1-5 in this stretch, guess we'll see if I'm right on that. 

4 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Hogs was not outstanding in the AHL but he had already played in the NHL before.  Now that he is back he is better than he played in the AHL.

Podz is the same. He was in NHL and demoted to learn... when someone thinks Bains or Karlson or Ratti is above Podz on the callup list I get sad.

There's nothing wrong with pod, and it's not bad to have 3-4 players at call up level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dom said:

There's no way you can think they are throwing games lol

if you ever played poker.....

or even made some money playing pool at your local pub...

At this point the playoffs is the game. And if you can make all the other teams over-confident while making your team desperate for a win, now is the time to fuck around with lines.

• Haha 1

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Team looks mentally and physically tired 

they’ve played at such a high level for most of the first half that it catches up 

that combined with all the travel hits you physically 

Yes it’s an excuse but  anyone who’s played a sport at a high level and has felt that type of fatigue can see it. 

legs are tired you’re behind the play

Mind is tired, puck is fumbled, passes aren’t sharp, team isn’t moving as a unit 

a couple of days off plus a lot less travel going into the playoffs will help them 

this is a good experience for them to learn to cope with the fatigue. This will come again in the playoffs

its part of the reason I don’t want them going all in and moving any of our high value prospects. 

you don’t win a cup the first time, it takes years to learn to get over the physical and mental challenge.

if we get to the second round and push to the WCF I’ll call it a successful season.

the boys need a rest 

Edited by Bardown
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Team looks mentally and physically tired 

they’ve played at such a high level for most of the first half that it catches up 

that combined with all the travel hits you physically 

Yes it’s an excuse but  anyone who’s played a sport at a high level and has felt that type of fatigue can see it. 

legs are tired you’re behind the play

Mind is tired, puck is fumbled, passes aren’t sharp, team isn’t moving as a unit 

a couple of days off plus a lot less travel going into the playoffs will help them 

this is a good experience for them to learn to cope with the fatigue. This will come again in the playoffs

its part of the reason I don’t want them going all in and moving any of our high value prospects. 

you don’t win a cup the first time, it takes years to learn to get over the physical and mental challenge.

if we get to the second round and push to the WCF I’ll call it a successful season.

the boys need a rest 

Maybe but I just wanted to see them with a little fight. Tochetts called them out but have they really responded to his critisisms? Seems like they come out and play the same way. They don’t look they are playing with any pride which is my bigger issue with the team.