[Speculation] Kings Reportedly Interested In Tyler Toffoli

13 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I said earlier I wouldn't mind bringing him back. And it would probably cost alot less than trying to get Guentzel.

• Cheers 1

Right a wrong and bring toffoli back

he knows how to win

liked in the dressing room so it’s an easy fit 

has played for hard coaches and succeeded so won’t why away from tocchet (sutter in LA) 

he can still score 

but we’d have to resign him and that’s given his agent a lot of power in the negotiation and I’d expect a 5-5.5m on a 4-5 years for him 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Billabong said:

Right a wrong and bring toffoli back

he knows how to win

liked in the dressing room so it’s an easy fit 

has played for hard coaches and succeeded so won’t why away from tocchet (sutter in LA) 

he can still score 

but we’d have to resign him and that’s given his agent a lot of power in the negotiation and I’d expect a 5-5.5m on a 4-5 years for him 

Hell no...thank you very much. LOL

He makes $4.25 million now and turns 32 next month.  No way I wanna sign him to a 4-5 year deal. 

$4.0 -$4.25 on a 2 year deal sure...maybe 3 TOPS

Also we don't have to resign everyone we trade for, some can just be rentals. 

Why are there so many rumors around Toffoli? I get that he's an upcoming UFA but the Devils are still trying to make the playoffs. When the other rumors around New Jersey are that they're going after Markstrom, I just don't understand why they would also be selling Toffoli.

Toffoli would likely boost our top 6, but even if he was available I can't imagine he would be a cheap acquisition. He may be about to turn 32 but he's also about to have back-to-back 30+ goal seasons. If he is available the cost is likely more than what the Canucks can afford.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Why are there so many rumors around Toffoli? I get that he's an upcoming UFA but the Devils are still trying to make the playoffs. When the other rumors around New Jersey are that they're going after Markstrom, I just don't understand why they would also be selling Toffoli.

Toffoli would likely boost our top 6, but even if he was available I can't imagine he would be a cheap acquisition. He may be about to turn 32 but he's also about to have back-to-back 30+ goal seasons. If he is available the cost is likely more than what the Canucks can afford.

They are on the cusp of either side of playoffs. With Hamilton out and some other injuries having occurred, they are keeping options open. Markstrom is now apparently an off season move. 
Makes sense that they are open to trade as they still need to upgrade that team and reallocate $

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

On 2/28/2024 at 8:51 PM, Blitz-Pix said:

Would love to have Toffoli back here if he's available...and at reasonable price. 

Much rather have him, than get bent over by Pittsburgh trying to acquire Guentzel. 

Petey and Toffoli have chemistry together...in a small sample size mind you.   

Toffoli gets all his goals by  knowing where to go and when . He would be millers boeser to petey. I would love to have toffoli in  and Mik out. A perfect addition.

Edited by dannydog
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:15 PM, HKSR said:

The Canucks put their best effort forward in the 3rd.  How'd that work out?

Give LA some credit man.  They played their game to perfection.  Once they scored first, it was lights out.

One thing I think worth pointing out is that LA was on a slump a month or 2 ago. Therefore, anyone getting concerned with our slump needs to consider that LA got out of their slump.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

One thing I think worth pointing out is that LA was on a slump a month or 2 ago. Therefore, anyone getting concerned with our slump needs to consider that LA got out of their slump.

That only happens for other teams 😅

I think Canucks have to be all over Toffoli.. He's gotta be high up on the target list for JR and AV

I think Canucks will make an offer and we'll see where it goes. I love the player. We need a guy like him. Hopefully he's a Canuck by the end of the week. 

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think Canucks have to be all over Toffoli.. He's gotta be high up on the target list for JR and AV

I think Canucks will make an offer and we'll see where it goes. I love the player. We need a guy like him. Hopefully he's a Canuck by the end of the week. 

What are you willing to give up for him?

Devils Prefer Not To Trade Tyler Toffoli

March 4th, 2024 at 8:57am CST • By Josh Erickson

Devils winger Tyler Toffoli has drawn some trade interest ahead of Friday’s deadline, including from a former team. However, the team prefers to hang onto the pending UFA and continue negotiating an extension even if he’s not inked by the end of the week, per Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet on Monday’s edition of “32 Thoughts” (and relayed by James Nichols of New Jersey Hockey Now).

While they haven’t been publicly named, it’s clear the Kings aren’t the only team interested in Toffoli’s services. That’s far from surprising — Toffoli is on pace to lead his team in goals for the second straight season and has firmly cemented himself as a top-six winger with five straight 20-goal seasons, including the COVID-shortened 2020-21 campaign.

Toffoli broke out that season with 28 snipes and 44 points in only 52 games for the Canadiens, the highest point-per-game rate of his career up to that point. He’s since surpassed that mark with his career-best 34-goal, 73-point season with the Flames last year.

He was traded to the Devils by Calgary last summer in exchange for the signing rights to Yegor Sharangovich and a third-round pick, his third time being dealt over the previous four years. It’s been quite a tumultuous time for Toffoli throughout his offensive breakout, skating for four teams since his eight-year stint with Los Angeles ended before the 2020 trade deadline.

Friedman labeled Toffoli as “more of a wish than a likelihood” for teams looking to add scoring help this week, keeping one of the better pending UFAs out there barely on the market for now. He carries a cap hit of just $4.25MM and is nearing completion of the four-year, $17MM contract he signed with Montreal during his last time testing the free agent market in 2020. If teams want to pry Toffoli away from the Garden State, it’ll need to be an offer above market value for a rental.

His stat sheet in New Jersey isn’t quite as impressive as last year’s run in Calgary, potting 26 goals, 18 assists, 44 points, and a -14 rating in 60 games. He is, however, averaging the highest time on ice of his career with a 17:31 average, and the team’s subpar goaltending has tanked his rating. His expected +5.9 rating is fifth on the team behind Jesper Bratt, rookie defenseman Simon NemecJack Hughes, and Ondřej Palát.

As such, he’ll command a considerable raise (and some trade protection) on an extension with the Devils, something they should be willing to dole out given how he helped stabilize the offense with injuries taking out both of their top two centers for extended periods this season. The team is built for the future despite a disappointing season. While a long-term deal isn’t in the cards for Toffoli at age 31, he’s likely to be a valuable top-six piece for New Jersey as they work toward making the postseason consistently over the next few years.

After back-to-back losses to the Ducks and Kings, the Devils are now only three games above .500 and trail the current second wild-card spot holder, the Lightning, by eight points with two games in hand. Per MoneyPuck, their playoff chances have dipped to 15.8%, beneath other wild-card hopefuls like the Islanders and Penguins but still ahead of the Capitals and Sabres.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/devils-prefer-not-to-trade-tyler-toffoli.html#ref=home

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Is Toffoli a playoff performer?

He didn't do much in the bubble before he got injured.  

He went down faster than Michael Jackson at a Chuck-E-Cheese when the going got tough.  

He's a .5 ppg player in the playoffs over his career. 

23 points in his last 43 games played during the playoffs with Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary.    

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

23 points in his last 43 games played during the playoffs with Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary.    

Fair enough, I just wanted to get in my Michael Jackson line because I thought of it while eating dinner.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I actually wouldn't mind Toffoli since he had previous chemistry with Pettersson and Miller and is familiar with our core players (i.e. Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Myers, Boeser, and Demko).  Rumour has it that him and Boeser even crossed swords a few times so to speak.  

You could play the Lotto line together and then have Lindholm and Toffoli, or switch TT and BB.    

Some nincompoops have reported that "the deal" would be Mikheyev for Toffoli but it would probably cost significantly more than that.

Why would Jersey agree to that deal?  (i.e. taking on a bad contract for multiple years for a guy that could help significantly in the playoffs).

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I actually wouldn't mind Toffoli since he had previous chemistry with Pettersson and Miller and is familiar with our core players (i.e. Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Myers, Boeser, and Demko).  Rumour has it that him and Boeser even crossed swords a few times so to speak.  

You could play the Lotto line together and then have Lindholm and Toffoli, or switch TT and BB.    

Some nincompoops have reported that "the deal" would be Mikheyev for Toffoli but it would probably cost significantly more than that.

Why would Jersey agree to that deal?  (i.e. taking on a bad contract for multiple years for a guy that could help significantly in the playoffs).

I'm not sure of the cost to aquire him... depends on how many teams could be interested I suppose.

For those suggesting Mik, I kind of get where there coming from.

NJ gets a potential top 6 player with term for the next 2 seasons. You can make the argument that he's having a bit of an off year due to knee surgury. So I guess the spin would be your buying low for top 6 potential. Getting an NHL forward with term for an expiring contract is a nice get for most teams. I think we'd also have to add a mid round pick, somewere around a 4th or 5th?  If NJ really likes TT  they can always make him an offer this off season. IMO

Guess it really comes down to how other teams view him though. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I'm curious is Lindholm played on a line with TT in Calgary when Toffoli scored his 34 goals last season? 

Perhaps they have some chemistry together?

If so, it could help get Lindholm going as well, which would be huge heading into the playoffs. 

Just a thought.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Fair enough, I just wanted to get in my Michael Jackson line because I thought of it while eating dinner.

Interesting that you thought of it while eating dinner. 

• ThereItIs 1

Canucks should bring in 1 more top 6 player. We have the depth but are lacking true scoring threats from the top 6. Toffoli would look great in a Canucks uniform again on the 2nd line with Petey. I’d prefer to get him over Guentzal

• Like 1