[Speculation] Kings Reportedly Interested In Tyler Toffoli

29 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Interesting that you thought of it while eating dinner. 

The 1993 Super Bowl half time show popped up on my YouTube suggestions and so I gave it a gander.   

I then googled MJ and so him grinning ear to ear as he stood beside Macaulay Calkin with his arm wrapped around him.  

• Haha 1

He's been a good fit in Jersey, they'll probably extend him

Hopefully this time round he gets a full NTC, dude has got to be tired of being shipped out at this point

17 minutes ago, Morrissex95 said:

We can use similar assets from 2020 to bring in Toffoli. 

Podkolzin, 2025 or 2026 2nd, maybe Raty, Klimovich. There's definitely options. 

he is a UFA ,   It’s not going to be anything over the top to get him,.  The only way he stays where he is if he gets a term of 3-4 years.  He will do well on the UFA market.

I guess this thread can be closed now:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2854495

New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald shed some light Tuesday on his strategy ahead of Friday's trade deadline.

Fitzgerald confirmed he's looking to upgrade in the crease. 

"I am in the market (for a goaltender)," he told reporters Tuesday. "Is there the right person out there for the right price without mortgaging the future, but understanding the short game here, it's an important position ... Our goaltending has not been good enough. Yes, that's on me to go out and try to upgrade, but it's not (easy)."

The GM also explained where he stands with the Devils' leading goal producer this season.

"I'm not shopping Tyler Toffoli," Fitzgerald said. "Tyler and I sat together in L.A., we had a great talk. Tyler knows how much I'd like to bring him back, but unfortunately right now, there's a possible term difference (in contract talks). That doesn't mean we can't revisit this past the deadline, if he's still here, or in the offseason.

"But the reality is, teams have called on him, and (based on) what a return looks like, I wouldn't (want to) be giving away my leading scorer, that's for sure, just to gain future assets. But ... those future assets could help us down the road."

The Devils entered Tuesday with the second-worst all-situations save percentage in the NHL (.882) and the third-worst mark at five-on-five (.901) this season. Vitek Vanecek, Nico Daws, and Akira Schmid have all struggled in goal for New Jersey, with save percentages under .900 in all situations. 

New Jersey has reportedly been in talks with the Calgary Flames about acquiring netminder Jacob Markstrom, who recently expressed disappointment about how his current club has handled his situation.

Toffoli is a pending unrestricted free agent carrying a $4.25-million cap hit. The winger came into Tuesday leading the Devils with 26 goals over 60 games in 2023-24.

The Devils fired head coach Lindy Ruff on Monday night, naming associate coach Travis Green his interim replacement. New Jersey came into Tuesday's action with a 30-27-4 record. The club occupies sixth place in the Metropolitan Division, sitting eight points out of the Eastern Conference's second wild-card spot with two games in hand.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Apparently NJD and Toffoli are close to an extension. Money range has been agreed to, term is only aspect left to finalize 

6 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald shed some light Tuesday on his strategy ahead of Friday's trade deadline.

"I am in the market (for a goaltender)," he told reporters Tuesday. "Is there the right person out there for the right price without mortgaging the future, but understanding the short game here, it's an important position ... Our goaltending has not been good enough. Yes, that's on me to go out and try to upgrade, but it's not (easy)."

The GM also explained where he stands with the Devils' leading goal producer this season.

"I'm not shopping Tyler Toffoli," Fitzgerald said. "Tyler and I sat together in L.A., we had a great talk. Tyler knows how much I'd like to bring him back, but unfortunately right now, there's a possible term difference (in contract talks). That doesn't mean we can't revisit this past the deadline, if he's still here, or in the offseason.

"But the reality is, teams have called on him, and (based on) what a return looks like, I wouldn't (want to) be giving away my leading scorer, that's for sure, just to gain future assets. But ... those future assets could help us down the road."

The Devils entered Tuesday with the second-worst all-situations save percentage in the NHL (.882) and the third-worst mark at five-on-five (.901) this season. Vitek Vanecek, Nico Daws, and Akira Schmid have all struggled in goal for New Jersey, with save percentages under .900 in all situations. 

New Jersey has reportedly been in talks with the Calgary Flames about acquiring netminder Jacob Markstrom, who recently expressed disappointment about how his current club has handled his situation.

Toffoli is a pending unrestricted free agent carrying a $4.25-million cap hit. The winger came into Tuesday leading the Devils with 26 goals over 60 games in 2023-24.

The Devils fired head coach Lindy Ruff on Monday night, naming associate coach Travis Green his interim replacement. New Jersey came into Tuesday's action with a 30-27-4 record. The club occupies sixth place in the Metropolitan Division, sitting eight points out of the Eastern Conference's second wild-card spot with two games in hand.

It always made more sense for them to try and retain him, he's helped stabilize their offense during a season wrought with tough injuries

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

image.gif.01fbecb71071f3586b2781d82f7071ba.gif

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

“I am not shopping Toffoli” but make me an offer.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

hopefully NJ is a bit more reasonable than Dubie. 

Perhaps, sounds like Toffoli contract extention broke down over term.

So I'd imagine NJ will try and get something for him rather than just letting him walk.

Should lots of interest for him once Guentzel gets moved though, he'd be teams plan B I imagine.  

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Perhaps, sounds like Toffoli contract extention broke down over term.

So I'd imagine NJ will try and get something for him rather than just letting him walk.

Should lots of interest for him once Guentzel gets moved though, he'd be teams plan B I imagine.  

maybe he needs to be our plan A? might leave some assets left over for more depth. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

maybe he needs to be our plan A? might leave some assets left over for more depth. 

He’s an upgrade and if he wants term he can find that…after he’s had a nice run with a playoff club like us 😉

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

@Coconuts whats the range of a Toffoili extension that would seem reasonable to you? the Loui deal?

He'll be 32 in April, I'd be offering 3-4 years max

Edited by Coconuts
  • MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

He’s an upgrade and if he wants term he can find that…after he’s had a nice run with a playoff club like us 😉

I always feel better if we can get an extension for someone we spend a lot of assets on.