[Speculation] Kings Reportedly Interested In Tyler Toffoli

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe he needs to be our plan A? might leave some assets left over for more depth. 

If PA/JR want to make a bigger splash/trade then I agree. Could be a shrewd move to take him off the table before Guentzel gets moved.

I think the price will only go up for Toffoli and Buchnevich once Guentzel is traded. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I always feel better if we can get an extension for someone we spend a lot of assets on. 

I do too, but I’m not keen on giving term to someone until we see how they perform with this club.

• Vintage 1

Tofu would be a good add, I'd love someone younger though, even by a bit

I'm not keen on giving guys deals that'll take em into their mid to late 30's and any 3-4 year deal would give Toffoli just that

A 2-3 year Toffoli deal with a higher cap hit would be worth the future cap flex imo

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe he needs to be our plan A? might leave some assets left over for more depth. 

Agreed. He would be an excellent fit and I think the AAV would be reasonable compared to Guentzel. Ya there would be term on a resigning but he already knows most teammates. Makes good sense and he slides right in

Edited by Sneakystink
  • Thanks 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'll be 32 in April, I'd be offering 3-4 years max

We don't have to resign him but if he turns out to be a great fit then I'd prefer 2 years...maybe 3.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

We don't have to resign him but if he turns out to be a great fit then I'd prefer 2 years...maybe 3.  

Shorter term would be better, absolutely 

Jersey likely doesn't want to give him a medium term deal either, so if he's available that's probably why

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Shorter term would be better, absolutely 

Jersey likely doesn't want to give him a medium term deal either, so if he's available that's probably why

for sure thats why, but if we're looking at "all in" while we have Hughes, maybe that extra year doesn't matter as much to us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

for sure thats why, but if we're looking at "all in" while we have Hughes, maybe that extra year doesn't matter as much to us. 

I'd argue that's exactly why it matters, contracts are only valuable if they player is performing well

I'd rather try and retain flexibility so as to be able to pivot and extend our window 

• ThereItIs 1

Loved Toffoli while he was here. He fit in so well with our core. I was mad when we didn’t re-sign him. Would be great if we could grab him at the deadline. He would also be cheaper to acquire than some of the other names floating around. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Loved Toffoli while he was here. He fit in so well with our core. I was mad when we didn’t re-sign him. Would be great if we could grab him at the deadline. He would also be cheaper to acquire than some of the other names floating around. 

fit will be substantially different now, of course, with bo, pearse, marky, tanny etc all gone. i still like toff though and he would be my third option after guentzel and vatrano. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd argue that's exactly why it matters, contracts are only valuable if they player is performing well

I'd rather try and retain flexibility so as to be able to pivot and extend our window 

I get that, but isn't that the kind of approach thats kept Carolina from taking the final step? 

Teams like Vegas and Tampa burn assets to keep things going, don't they?

Just now, tas said:

fit will be substantially different now, of course, with bo, pearse, marky, tanny etc all gone. i still like toff though and he would be my third option after guentzel and vatrano. 

Nope. He fit in well with Pettersson here and Lindholm in Calgary. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

If JR was going to make a key addition....Toffoli was my preferred trade target heading into the TDL.

Still think we should just make a few depth moves BUT if its going to be a bigger trade I hope it's him (at a reasonable cost)

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I get that, but isn't that the kind of approach thats kept Carolina from taking the final step? 

Teams like Vegas and Tampa burn assets to keep things going, don't they?

Maybe, but if the argument is to go all in we may as well go after Buchnevich, we'd get two cracks out of him

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. He fit in well with Pettersson here and Lindholm in Calgary. 

I'm not talking about fit as in receiving passes from a center, I'm talking fit off ice, in the room. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

I'm not talking about fit as in receiving passes from a center, I'm talking fit off ice, in the room. 

Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Myers were all around when Toffoli was last here. Most of those guys are the core players of the team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Myers were all around when Toffoli was last here. Most of those guys are the core players of the team.

sure, but the guys I mentioned were the guys who ran the room last time toff was here. 

all I said is the fit would be very different, not necessarily any worse. you just can't bank on it being seamless because of how it worked last time with things being so different now. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

sure, but the guys I mentioned were the guys who ran the room last time toff was here. 

all I said is the fit would be very different, not necessarily any worse. you just can't bank on it being seamless because of how it worked last time with things being so different now. 

I think the room is far more unified and focused this time around. The team is one of the best in the league and run by far more competent people than before. 

• Cheers 2

If no huge moves are are in the offering. A few cheaper adds with money retained to make it fit.

Toffoli, Greenway, Kessel

Mikheyev out.  

Greenway-Petterson-Toffoli

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Lafferty-Suter-Kessel

PDG-Aman

That is a solid and deep forward group if healthy and a couple guys who can move up the lineup if injuries hit.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think the room is far more unified and focused this time around. The team is one of the best in the league and run by far more competent people than before. 

People that don’t run out of time?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

If no huge moves are are in the offering. A few cheaper adds with money retained to make it fit.

Toffoli, Greenway, Kessel

Mikheyev out.  

Greenway-Petterson-Toffoli

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Lafferty-Suter-Kessel

PDG-Aman

That is a solid and deep forward group if healthy and a couple guys who can move up the lineup if injuries hit.

Lindholm out as well?