[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Just play better Petey…

and ask the sedins how they trained cuz they fell down all the time at one point but figured it out later on… 

FFS we are all sick of your falling down routine… too soft and easy to play against…

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

2 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Just play better Petey…

and ask the sedins how they trained cuz they fell down all the time at one point but figured it out later on… 

FFS we are all sick of your falling down routine… too soft and easy to play against…

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

He doesn’t always play that way though that’s the most frustrating thing.

There were times last season he was strong on pucks and actually laying the body.

It comes down to him not moving his feet and not engaging. Easy to knock someone over when they’re standing still and not engaged.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I am always gonna jump to the defence of Nazzy and Bertuzzi, but they played their entire primes during the dead puck era. I don't care that their stats don't jump off the page. Petey would never touch 90 points during that era with his scrawny stick figure. Big Bert and Nazzy are incredible talents for what they achieved during the dead puck era without a Quinn Hughes on the blueline. Put some respect on their names.

Naslund was very under appreciated by this fan base...kinda like Petey, west coast express line was the best line in the NHL at the time.

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

96 is close to 100.

Pretty much what has been speculated for a long time now.

We weren’t getting him at 11. The cost of a top 10 producing center has gone up.

Inflation. Like everything else. 

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Seravelli now reporting it's sounding like close to $100m total o_O

I'd take it and be done with it

12.5M won't be what it is now in a few seasons as the cap continues to climb

Draisaitl and McDavid will raise the bar for top tier contracts soon anyway

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's a big whack of cap; Hope it works out for them. We have Miller and Hughes and Demko, and now it would appear Pettersson who kinda breaks the bank.

Petey's going to have to pick it up again for me to be a believer. Maybe he does when this is over? 

$88m would be $11m AAV and is still "approaching $100m". I'll worry when the ACTUAL numbers come out. Most of these guys sources are agents, who consistently float higher numbers than what contracts get signed for. Agent's probably asking for $96/$12mAAV, Canucks are probably at $84/$10.5AAV, and they'll meet somewhere in the middle after bickering over bonus structure, NTC's etc.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

Naslund was very under appreciated by this fan base...kinda like Petey, west coast express line was the best line in the NHL at the time.

I have the opposite opinion on Naslund.  Good guy, solid professional but quite limited one dimensional player that had a short prime. 

Pettey a little more surly with the press but better in most every category than Naslund was at a younger age.  

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He doesn’t always play that way though that’s the most frustrating thing.

There were times last season he was strong on pucks and actually laying the body.

It comes down to him not moving his feet and not engaging. Easy to knock someone over when they’re standing still and not engaged.

Yeah it's the lack of engagement, that is the perfect way to lay it out. He's still back checking and playing ok defensively and  overall. Look at Miller a while back, my kid won the junior trainer and I watched Miller give the puck away (Nashville game last Feb)  and just dog it back to the bench and Demko bailed him out made the save. That engagement can make you look at that guy and say "shit trade him, he doesn't give a Shit anymore" or it can make you think God damn that guys giving it all man! Millers leading the way now and Petey could learn a half dozen things from Miller right now. 

15 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's a big whack of cap; Hope it works out for them. We have Miller and Hughes and Demko, and now it would appear Pettersson who kinda breaks the bank.

Petey's going to have to pick it up again for me to be a believer. Maybe he does when this is over? 

Yeah. This seems like too much. Pettersson hasn't been a world beater that $100M for 8 years would indicate. If this is indeed true and he signs, he has to be THE difference maker on the team. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Joshrips said:

He is unique. Not a guy that will lead us to a cup in all likelihood. I would not pay him more than Miller, which means he would not sign here. I would be fine with that. My prediction is Alvin will overpay him because of Swedish loyalty. This will be the biggest mistake since gifting the Sedins their farewell and thank you contract, basically dooming us to mediocrity for the duration. If he signs for 8 million, it's a decent bet for the team, and leaves us with some cash to bulk up. He will be completely unmovable with a contract over 10 million.

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is a challenge to Petey then.

When you sign a deal like that the noise becomes even louder if you don’t perform.

You wanna make McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon money you can’t disappear for weeks at a time. You gotta drive play every night otherwise you’re gonna hear about it.

But it isn’t McDavid money… He gets 15 mill nowadays. That is a difference of 3 mill.

Matthews gets 13,5 on a short 4 year contract where he bets on a better cap in four years so he can get McDavid money…That is 1-1,5 mill more than Petey.

• Like 1