[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Just now, chaoticmonkey said:

Peculiar timing. He waited all year and now a week before the trade deadline he's ready to talk. PA should be focusing on improving the team in the next week and make Petey wait until after the deadline.

No he shouldn't. Signing Pettersson now allows them to plan out exactly what they can do at the TDL. The faster the better. 

if he wants to be celebrated, he takes 10M top. 

that would show he wants the team to be a real contender, without handcuffing them to sign others high profiles players.

Edited by DexM94
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Catman said:

I get you but how to compare or to gamble on prime/recent production or expectations?

Been a huge EP fan up until lately. But it's been a tough stretch cause he's so streaky. 

Even elite players can be 'steaky' when they start their NHL career.  His 1st two seasons showed

an increase, but then he was injured in the 3rd.  His 4th season took a dip in points, but he still

scored 32 goals.  His 5th (last year) he hit it out of the park and had the highest points on the

team at 24yrs old.

This season, he projects to end up with +38g and +100pts.  Quite outstanding if you consider

the lack of quality linemates he's had.

**I don't worry about EP being streaky and would certainly agree with the management

signing him long term. 

I agree that Petey doesn't 'look' as good on the ice, but I don't think it's related to 'lack of

interest' or 'doesn't want to play in Vancouver.'  Lately, I've been wondering about his

offseason training/conditioning and that perhaps, he needs some professional support. 

I'm just speculating and have nothing concrete to back me up.  It was something that

Tocc said in the Pitts PGT (that I can't find) that hinted that Petey was tired.  Also, the

recent practice had Tocc coaching EP on his board work. 

It's one thing to want to become a physical player, but if you don't have the 'know how'

and/or the correct conditioning, your attempts will wear you down.  As I recall, the Sedins'

struggled in their early years, but matured into being incredibly strong on their skates.

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Will be interesting to see how being paid $4MM more than Miller affects any team dynamic. Especially when Petey is giving up pucks, falling down or on the ice for another goal against.

If he thinks there’s pressure now, he ain’t seen anything yet.

Giving up the pucks lol he’s still country miles away from miller in that category. So where were you last season when miller was on the ice giving up the puck and the play for the goal against last season?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I am always gonna jump to the defence of Nazzy and Bertuzzi, but they played their entire primes during the dead puck era. I don't care that their stats don't jump off the page. Petey would never touch 90 points during that era with his scrawny stick figure. Big Bert and Nazzy are incredible talents for what they achieved during the dead puck era without a Quinn Hughes on the blueline. Put some respect on their names.

Guys like Modano, Satan, Kariya, Sakic, Mogilny, Hejduk, St Louis among plethora of player seemed to do just fine in that era despite being small and or physically weak. 

Modano was 6’3 215lbs and he would literally go tumbling down the ice from as much as a cough. Barely had 100+ hits in his 1500 game career.

Edited by Odd.

Just now, DexM94 said:

if he wants to be celebrate, he takes 10M top. 

that would show he wants the team to be a real contender, without handcuffing them to sign others high profiles players.

Paying your superstars their money doesn't handcuff a team. Paying Sutter, Beagle, and Rousell that same amount of money handcuffs a team. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DexM94 said:

if he wants to be celebrate, he takes 10M top. 

Get real.  You're putting him at the same salary level as Johhny Gaudreau and Tyler Seguin.

Come on, man.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Giving up the pucks lol he’s still country miles away from miller in that category. So where were you last season when miller was on the ice giving up the puck and the play for the goal against last season?

Lol

People seem to forget the COUNTLESS of times Miller played like a lazy fucker that was atrocious defensively and would play like an actual bozo. 

People forget just how good Petey was last season.

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Even elite players can be 'steaky' when they start their NHL career.  His 1st two seasons showed

an increase, but then he was injured in the 3rd.  His 4th season took a dip in points, but he still

scored 32 goals.  His 5th (last year) he hit it out of the park and had the highest points on the

team at 24yrs old.

This season, he projects to end up with +38g and +100pts.  Quite outstanding if you consider

the lack of quality linemates he's had.

**I don't worry about EP being streaky and would certainly agree with the management

signing him long term. 

I agree that Petey doesn't 'look' as good on the ice, but I don't think it's related to 'lack of

interest' or 'doesn't want to play in Vancouver.'  Lately, I've been wondering about his

offseason training/conditioning and that perhaps, he needs some professional support. 

I'm just speculating and have nothing concrete to back me up.  It was something that

Tocc said in the Pitts PGT (that I can't find) that hinted that Petey was tired.  Also, the

recent practice had Tocc coaching EP on his board work. 

It's one thing to want to become a physical player, but if you don't have the 'know how'

and/or the correct conditioning, your attempts will wear you down.  As I recall, the Sedins'

struggled in their early years, but matured into being incredibly strong on their skates.

Its not about his points.  

Edited by Redhdlois

10 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

With respect, get this one thought through your head: Pettersson is NOT signing for $8M. Whatever you think he is worth is irrelevant. He is worth whatever the Aquilinis are willing to commit, and they love Petey. They also know that Petey puts bums in seats and sells all kinds of merch and ridiculously expensive food and drink at games as well as being a selling point for to persuade corporate customers to spend big. More important, though, is that ownership and management see Petey's obsession with winning and they will pay dearly to keep it in Vancouver. 

The only thing I disagree with here is that you imply that I believe he might sign here for 8 million. I do not, that's why I posted that I'm fine with him leaving.

This is also why we don't have a cup. You nailed it. Petey's obsession with winning a cup is also true imo, he just doesn't have the necessary abilities (physical and mental toughness).