[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

31 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Maybe as an incentive, they should include a bonus for the amount of times he falls down in a year. Maybe give him an extra 200K if he falls down less than 200 times?

In all honestly, I don't get how one of the best players in the world has terrible balance and average edgework, and really hasn't improved in this aspect since joining the NHL. Yes we can see he's stronger, but most of the time he's falling when he gets nudged slightly or there's no one around. We saw in the All-Star skills competition where he fell going around the cones, almost fall in the fastest skater, and almost tripped and fell in the passing competition. Like Buddy, invest some of your millions into someone who can sharpen your skates and teach you how to skate...

I remember when he first came into the league he was using goalie blades. Then he switched to normal ones and his skating has been much worse since. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/a-change-in-skate-profile-could-make-elias-pettersson-even-harder-to-handle-next-season-2228327

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I know… At the beginning of the season he was engaged and he was making hits - making plays - dominating games… But he has decided to play at half intensity now and so he’s getting knocked down all the time - The Dude is his own worst enemy… It’s frustrating to watch because we know what he is capable of doing

I wonder if his aggressive play in the beginning of the season has taken a bit of a toll on his body and maybe that’s why he isn’t playing that way anymore. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Nylander got 11.5.  So...yeah, you're wrong.  If Willy is worth 11.5 Petey is worth 12-13.  Sorry, just the way it is. Petey has out produced Willy and plays center.  

I can't understand how so many Canucks fans can watch Petey play and devalue him. Huberdeau is paid 10.5, there is no planet in existence that anyone would take Huberdeau over Pettersson.  McJesus makes 12.5 now but his next contract is going to be max allowed, whatever that is by then.  

I'm hoping for 12, expecting 12.5 but wouldn't be shocked at 13.

Thing is

toronto has always over paid their stars to the point it puts them in cap trouble

their top salaries are a joke 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Thing is

toronto has always over paid their stars to the point it puts them in cap trouble

nobody wants to play there. why would they?

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not saying he would or should, but if Petey took $11m, you can pretty much guarantee this team will be a contender for the next several years with a real shot at the cup each and every year.  

Yeah bud this is the dream! 

7 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

No way Petey should be getting McDavid, Mackinnon money! Love the guy but he's not on that level.

The cap was different when those two guys were signed. Not apples to apples.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

The cap was different when those two guys were signed. Not apples to apples.

Still though. As good as he's been he hasn't shown us he's capable of taking games over on a consistent basis like those guys can. We've all seen him do it and know he can, but he's gotta do that more consistently to be worth top tier money. I do think he'll sign at anywhere between $11m-$12m though.

15 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Thing is

Kinda the going price though. Started with Sidney Crosby and his first deal. Elite players take up typically 17% right out of ELC. 

You can blame Toronto, but ultimately it was Pittsburgh. It just so happens that TO has lots of star power which has a downside to it as well, less depth and weaker in net and on the blueline.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd take it and be done with it

12.5M won't be what it is now in a few seasons as the cap continues to climb

Draisaitl and McDavid will raise the bar for top tier contracts soon anyway

Pretty sad when inflation is the only thing we have to look forward to. I will say it clearly, this is a guy we don't even need next year. We would be better off losing him for nothing and signing a real 12 million dollar player. I am not happy.

2 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Pretty sad when inflation is the only thing we have to look forward to. I will say it clearly, this is a guy we don't even need next year. We would be better off losing him for nothing and signing a real 12 million dollar player. I am not happy.

I wouldn't be either, if I lived in Calgary. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Contracts rise alongside the cap, it is what it is

Just wait til we have to sign Hughes, he'll likely get more than Pettersson 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

No way Petey should be getting McDavid, Mackinnon money! Love the guy but he's not on that level.

Fine. Then what should we do? Trade him for a player (or players) who are worse and our club goes backwards? 

3 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

If I was a flame fan I'd be dancing for effing joy. We will see who's smart next year at this time. 

You’re stuck living in Smelly Cowpieville? Yuk. Terrible team there too. Worked out real good trading Tkatchuk. Trading a star almost never works out well. Best to keep guys like Petey happy. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You’re stuck living in Smelly Cowpieville? Yuk. Terrible team there too. Worked out real good trading Tkatchuk. Trading a star almost never works out well. Best to keep guys like Petey happy. 

Were you celebrating Juolevi pick instead of Tkachuk? I can tell you I was not.

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Contracts rise alongside the cap, it is what it is

Just wait til we have to sign Hughes, he'll likely get more than Pettersson 

when McBaby hits free agency (or says he won't re-sign a year early) he will go to a team willing to go full max cap. He'll be the first 20% cap guy. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Crosby signed for $8.7 million 10 years ago. The price of a house in Vancouver in 2013 was $950,000. Today that same house is worth $2 million. So yes inflation also affects players salaries. 

Sorry, the price of a house in Vancouver in 2013 wasn’t $950,000 🙂. A house in Richmond that now costs $2.3 mil was just over $1 mil in 2008 and around $1.5 mil in 2013.