[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Are you kidding me? Every fan that "turned on" Pettersson, by suggesting he wasn't playing well (which he hasn't been), did so on their own volition. Dhaliwal may stir up shit, but that's his prerogative. Just like it's an individual's choice to believe the hype or not to. No one owes Pettersson an apology unless they've actually done something unbecoming to him personally.  

He shouldn't be making up crap that "petey is not even coming to the table and the canucks are very frustrated"

What is the purpose of that? Only to inflame the fan base towards Petey. If you can't see what such a statement would do to a rabid fanbase maybe you're Dhaliwal

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

if he wants to be celebrated, he takes 10M top. 

that would show he wants the team to be a real contender, without handcuffing them to sign others high profiles players.

Can yoy tell me one player that left two mill on the table?

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

Can yoy tell me one player that left two mill on the table?

I'd reckon Miller probably left about $1M at the time of his contract, but it's hard to find examples of more than that. None are jumping to my mind at least.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

We have Huggy until 2028 for under 8 million👍👍

He's a UFA after the 26-27 season, which gives him multiple offseasons of cap increases to drive up what his extension will cost between now and then

Like I said, wait til we have to re-up Hughes, if he keeps his level of play up the way he historically has he'll get more than Pettersson 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

when McBaby hits free agency (or says he won't re-sign a year early) he will go to a team willing to go full max cap. He'll be the first 20% cap guy. 

Draisaitl will up what top end contracts look like before McDavid gets signed too

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He's a UFA after the 26-27 season, which gives him multiple offseasons of cap increases to drive up what his extension will cost between now and then

Like I said, wait til we have to re-up Hughes, if he keeps his level of play up the way he historically has he'll get more than Pettersson 

So Hughes turn next for crazy fan scrutiny 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Absolutely, and he would be worth it.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Draisaitl will up what top end contracts look like before McDavid gets signed too

I wonder how desperate Holland will be to keep him? if McB wants him to stay but they can't afford it, you have to wonder what that does to that team. 

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Nope...doesn't matter what he signs for...this will be a common response the second it's announced.  LOL

If it’s 12 mil it’s too much!

If it’s 11.5 mil it’s a great deal!

Funny how much fans fret over 500k of cap space like that will make the difference of winning a championship in the end. 😂

• Upvote 1

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

I thought Colorado was a lock for the cup after they took those reunion discount contracts on an already stacked team. If I recall correctly they got bounced in the first? 

Yeah I think most people thought that.  Chemistry is so important for a team sport.  Can't remember what round they got bounced, but they definitely didn't do as well as most people thought they would.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Funny how much fans fret over 500k of cap space like that will make the difference of winning a championship in the end. 😂

$500k isn't much when it comes to 12m contracts, but it could mean a big difference when trying to lock down top tier bottom 6 talent.  $2.8m could possibly lock in Joshua.  $2.3m wouldn't be enough.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

@wai_lai416 I tried giving Miller his due criticism for his poor play last season.  And I got completely flamed for it here.  The exact same people who are faulting Pettersson for every conceivable thing and buying into the media frenzy were dismissing Miller's lower numbers last year as "media noise" and "the team's fault, never J.T.'s fault".

I critique miller last year too because of his poor play and attitude on the ice. He changed this year and I don’t think I’ve been critical of him at all.. although I still prefer his turnover number to be down more. I still find it funny people are trying to compare miller to EP.. like one is in the peak of his prime and one is at the start of his prime.. miller attitude is prolly closer to ep current attitude towards the game when he was 25. Ppl banging the drum saying miller is better.. I dunno how they can predict ep at 31 won’t be as good if not better.. that’s 6 years from now. If we are comparing 25 to 31 year old then we might as well say bedard will never be a top player in the league since we are comparing players production from different age instead of same age. As for why ep deserves to be paid more than miller? Well several factors age being the big one.. room for grow is another. Most likely being in his prime the entire duration of the contract and not being an anchor in the latter couple years helps.. and makes it easier to trade if necessary to another contender as he’d still be producing at his prime production at the end of his contract.. if you guys are guaranteeing miller will be producing at 33-34 then you have to guarantee ep will be the same at the end of his contract. 

at this point I don’t care if he’s signed for 12mil or if he’s traded in the summer. That’s managements job.. calling the radio bitching whining and flaming on twitter ig Facebook forums ain’t gonna affect the negotiation one way or another. Support ur damn player while they are on the team. Constructive criticism is fine. Attacking the players personality calling him selfish and crap without any actual knowledge and just based on rumors from someone not even in the locker room or from the team is stupid. It’s almost as if this city will blow up and not support the player if management decides to sign him to 12mil or more and will fly banner across the sky everyday until he’s run out of town.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd reckon Miller probably left about $1M at the time of his contract, but it's hard to find examples of more than that. None are jumping to my mind at least.

I love that ,,Probably ,,narrative.GM would be happy and obliged to say that player (insert name)left money on the table to help team.Not happening ever.Why people are in to this is amusing.Love to be gent when nothing coming from there pocket

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I agree...I mean we all want to save some money but REALLY ....How is $11.75 Mill a season a win and $12 or 12.5 a disaster. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

I critique miller last year too because of his poor play and attitude on the ice. He changed this year and I don’t think I’ve been critical of him at all.. although I still prefer his turnover number to be down more. I still find it funny people are trying to compare miller to EP.. like one is in the peak of his prime and one is at the start of his prime.. miller attitude is prolly closer to ep current attitude towards the game when he was 25. Ppl banging the drum saying miller is better.. I dunno how they can predict ep at 31 won’t be as good if not better.. that’s 6 years from now. If we are comparing 25 to 31 year old then we might as well say bedard will never be a top player in the league since we are comparing players production from different age instead of same age. As for why ep deserves to be paid more than miller? Well several factors age being the big one.. room for grow is another. Most likely being in his prime the entire duration of the contract and not being an anchor in the latter couple years helps.. and makes it easier to trade if necessary to another contender as he’d still be producing at his prime production at the end of his contract.. if you guys are guaranteeing miller will be producing at 33-34 then you have to guarantee ep will be the same at the end of his contract. 

at this point I don’t care if he’s signed for 12mil or if he’s traded in the summer. That’s managements job.. calling the radio bitching whining and flaming on twitter ig Facebook forums ain’t gonna affect the negotiation one way or another. Support ur damn player while they are on the team. Constructive criticism is fine. Attacking the players personality calling him selfish and crap without any actual knowledge and just based on rumors from someone not even in the locker room or from the team is stupid. It’s almost as if this city will blow up and not support the player if management decides to sign him to 12mil or more and will fly banner across the sky everyday until he’s run out of town.

Miller isn't really a problem on giveaways, he's only at 35. McDavid has 60 so far. 

• Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

So Hughes turn next for crazy fan scrutiny 

It's only a matter of time

Boeser and Demko may get it too to a lesser degree

5 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Absolutely, and he would be worth it.

Probably, but folks will always fuss over big numbers

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder how desperate Holland will be to keep him? if McB wants him to stay but they can't afford it, you have to wonder what that does to that team. 

It's a real wildcard, if they can't keep em they'll be in tough

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

$500k isn't much when it comes to 12m contracts, but it could mean a big difference when trying to lock down top tier bottom 6 talent.  $2.8m could possibly lock in Joshua.  $2.3m wouldn't be enough.  

When you have enough contracts providing value you shouldn’t need your stars to take 500k less.

Also we have no idea what Joshua will be asking for so it’s premature to say we won’t have enough for him because of Petey’s contract.

Either way I’d rather overpay stars a little bit than bottom 6 players. Stars are much harder to replace.

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agreed...their will be a trickle down effect but that's where drafts and prospects fill the gap. 

Podkolzin, Karlson Raty, D-Petey, Willander and Lekkermaki (who scored again today) 8 goals in 8 games,   

That's why we can't be trading away all our prospects this deadline IMO.