[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You kidding?

If that were offered (which it never would be) Allvin wouldn’t be able to make the trade call fast enough. 

Considering both KK and Necas can play centre, I don't know what stopped him then.

Love what EP does for this team, but I sure hope that PA and JR think about the full team before the player.  You can't build a team full of guys taking pay cuts so that one player can get the big payday.  EP is great but not $100M worth....sorry.  

It pains me to say this but when I think of Calgary's run to the finals, I had to admire how they had a bunch of lunchbox guys that all came together for that great run.  Personally, I'd rather watch a team of players that all work hard for each other to go far in the playoffs.....not sure that happens when one guy takes so much, no matter how good he is.  

JT and Hughes are worth their contracts.  EP is not 150% more valuable than those guys. He can win games on his own but not take this team through series after series.  He needs the crew around him for that kind of consistent winning.  

Losing EP to a trade at this point of this season just won't happen and it would shake this team up too much.  But if EP won't sign for a reasonable amount, I'd have to give kudos to JR and PA for having the gonads to do what needs to happen in order to protect the next decade for this club. 

Tough situation and I can only hope that this is a media-based frenzy and EP actually signs a 4-year contract that gives this club a chance to go all the way.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

9 hours ago, Bardown said:

I have spent 18 years in Corporate finance and M&A in NYC and Toronto, I appreciate the negotiation tips!

My goodness

That's embarrassing to admit because you've been called out on your ability to piece together evidence in a coherent manner.

My goodness.

• Wiener 1

4 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I've heard they have some pretty good bbq. But clearly nothing on the crack supply if they think they get Petey for that. In my books, it STARTS with Aho, or Svechnikov. You want a top guy, you gotta give a top guy.

Yeah. Their offer probably wasn't serious, or they forgot that Benning no longer works here. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Considering both KK and Necas can play centre, I don't know what stopped him then.

Neither of those guys are game breakers though. KK definitely is not. 

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Resign Lindholm & blueger….dev raty

It's going to be tough to resign Lindholm. He hasn't shown much either since being traded here. People keep saying give him more time, but there's 20 games left in the regular season, how much more time does he need before he produces? Calgary looking like they've won that trade with the amount of pieces going their way. 

A Carolina trade would have been juicy for sure. Petey is a 25 year old double 100pt player. He's going to command 11-12.5M easily. He'd fit in well in Carolina to be fair. Necas and KK were offered. KK is playing 9-10 minutes on the 4th line playing pretty averagely this year. Necas is often on the wing, doesn't take faceoffs well, but is 25 and scoring 42 points in 55 games, but is solid physically.

We'd obviously need a bit more - that's a top line center for a 2C/W and 4C. Points-wise, we're giving up 100pts for around 60-70. I'd like to think we get a 1st + prospect back too, but we could really use a defenceman which they don't really have to give up. If there's any world in which Pesce trade and sign is involved you jump all over it though.

Necas + KK + Pesce for Pettersson + Myers/Cole

They have just over a mil in cap space but we could retain if need be. Makes our team a lot better balanced to be fair. Pesce and Necas will be tricky to re-sign but could easily do it with Petey/Myers money.

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Necas

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Lafferty - KK - Mikheyev

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Pesce

Soucy - Zadorov

Juulsen

Nice depth, obviously lose some fire power up front but we're a much more balanced team there.

Get Necas on a 6M deal, Pesce for 6-7M, Hronek for 7M and Lindholm 6-7M. If we have to let Blueger walk so be it, we slot KK into the 3C role.

• Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

A Carolina trade would have been juicy for sure. Petey is a 25 year old double 100pt player. He's going to command 11-12.5M easily. He'd fit in well in Carolina to be fair. Necas and KK were offered. KK is playing 9-10 minutes on the 4th line playing pretty averagely this year. Necas is often on the wing, doesn't take faceoffs well, but is 25 and scoring 42 points in 55 games, but is solid physically.

We'd obviously need a bit more - that's a top line center for a 2C/W and 4C. Points-wise, we're giving up 100pts for around 60-70. I'd like to think we get a 1st + prospect back too, but we could really use a defenceman which they don't really have to give up. If there's any world in which Pesce trade and sign is involved you jump all over it though.

Necas + KK + Pesce for Pettersson + Myers/Cole

They have just over a mil in cap space but we could retain if need be. Makes our team a lot better balanced to be fair. Pesce and Necas will be tricky to re-sign but could easily do it with Petey/Myers money.

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Necas

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Lafferty - KK - Mikheyev

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Pesce

Soucy - Zadorov

Juulsen

Nice depth, obviously lose some fire power up front but we're a much more balanced team there.

Get Necas on a 6M deal, Pesce for 6-7M, Hronek for 7M and Lindholm 6-7M. If we have to let Blueger walk so be it, we slot KK into the 3C role.

KK as fourth line centre hurts if he's one of the pieces coming back for Petey. With that being said, I want to hear the official signing for the Canucks ASAP. 

9 hours ago, Plaguez said:

So a guy who has 30 goals, 70+ points in 61 games while playing with 3rd liners most of the season is what?  A passenger?  Define drives play because to me you sound like you heard words you think sound good and are parroting the shit out of them.

Ironically our third line has driven play 🤣

Here's what NOT driving play looks like 🤣

Screenshot_20240221-201611.thumb.png.d0fe33402c8ca3a83a1e5627365789fe.png

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Bo Horvat wanted to sign long term and be a Canuck for life.

Just saying.  

Right. But reports were that he was asking for more than what management wanted to offer. 

Actually, Allvin and Rutherford to me seems like they "bully" their way. It feels like that with Petey negotiations, and it certainly felt like that with Bo. I still believe that Horvat should be a Canuck today. But I wonder if Horvat and some players didn't gel well with Miller. JT seems like a guy most don't seem to get along with in the room. Just speculation and guesses on my part, though. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Right. But reports were that he was asking for more than what management wanted to offer. 

Actually, Allvin and Rutherford to me seems like they "bully" their way. It feels like that with Petey negotiations, and it certainly felt like that with Bo. I still believe that Horvat should be a Canuck today. But I wonder if Horvat and some players didn't gel well with Miller. JT seems like a guy most don't seem to get along with in the room. Just speculation and guesses on my part, though. 

I think the Miller/Horvat beef was specularly over-blown.  

From what I understand, management offered Horvat Jean Gabriel Pageau type money, lol.   

Horvat is and was definitely worth 7-8 million in my opinion.   

Even if overpaid, who would you rather have?   Horvat at $8 million or "passenger Petey" at $12 mill?

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

From what I understand, management offered Horvat Jean Gabriel Pageau type money, lol.   

Even if overpaid, who would you rather have?   Horvat at $8 million or "passenger Petey" at $12 mill?

Petey's a better offensive player. You need guys like that on the team. But 12M is McKinnon territory, and he's definitely not there (Petey). But could he get there? Bo was worth 7M, I'm not sure if he's worth 8M though. He's never produced more than 70 points in his career. Always hovering around 50-60 points. Which isn't bad I suppose. But is 60 points worth 8M? I'm not sure if the contract he's signed with the Islanders will age well (8.5M, right?). With that being said, though, he's having a decent season with the Isles. 

31 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

KK as fourth line centre hurts if he's one of the pieces coming back for Petey. With that being said, I want to hear the official signing for the Canucks ASAP. 

Yeah he's not been good this year, he should be a 3C and was projected as a 2C but he's been average this year, defensively and offensively. 4M for a 4C is crap too. He would come in and be forced to replace Blueger and I don't know if he can, but he has some small potential still there and is obviously very young.

Necas would have to eventually learn how to take faceoffs better and play center but Lindholm can be thrust into the 2C role.

Problem is relying on KK, Necas and Lindholm to do well - that's a lot of risk. We could just keep Petey and hope he'll play better. I think the chances of Petey becoming a better player is much higher than relying on KK, Necas and Lindholm to all be better. Chances are with the first three, one or two will succeed and someone will suck.

I've got a feeling we've got a 100M 8 year deal on the table but some reports say that the contract starts at 12M. I can see us giving him 12.5M in the end which is crazy money but that's just what young 100pt players cost these days to lock up long term. 

I'd like us to re-sign him ASAP too and think his mind will be free again and he'll get back to playing solid hockey. This is a massive distraction and management just have to get it done because we're losing games partially because of it now.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Petey's a better offensive player. You need guys like that on the team. But 12M is McKinnon territory, and he's definitely not there (Petey). But could he get there? Bo was worth 7M, I'm not sure if he's worth 8M though. He's never produced more than 70 points in his career. Always hovering around 50-60 points. Which isn't bad I suppose. But is 60 points worth 8M? I'm not sure if the contract he's signed with the Islanders will age well (8.5M, right?). With that being said, though, he's having a decent season with the Isles. 

Why aren’t people honest comparing numbers? 
If MacKinnon would sign a contract for next season it starts with 13-14 mill.

not 12.

As the poster saying Petey isn’t doing 150percent of Hughes and Miller.

Hughes will get a hefty contract so it isn’t comparable. 
Miller is at Peteys level when Miller reached his prime and get paid for that into his middle thirties.

Petey is supposed to reach his prime in a couple of years.

Why so much dishonest while comparing contracts? 
It’s not like you need to be a brain surgeon to get it…

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Pettersson's 102 pts last year was about 66% of the 153 points Mcdavid scored.

He's currently on pace for around 72% of what Kucherov is on pace for.

All anyone talks about is salary inflation to justify Pettersson's worth. Any talk of points inflation?

And?.... does that mean Petey is not a superstar? In my book anyone breaking 100points (particularly in consecutive seasons) is a superstar... What McD does is irrelevant... he's a generational talent. 

13 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Let's start with this - a superstar drives play 🤣

Well i can be debated who drives the play on McDs line? Does that mean Draiseitl isn't a superatar?

Imagine to suggest a player on course for 100points with a black hole and a 3rd liner as his wingers is considered not to drive play... 

Don't know where you find 100+ points players that doesn't drive play and aren't superstars... please let management know, as I'm sure they'd like to know, where you find these... think they would like a few more of these just about now. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

And?.... does that mean Petey is not a superstar? In my book anyone breaking 100points (particularly in consecutive seasons) is a superstar... What McD does is irrelevant... he's a generational talent. 

Do you think EP should get MacKinnon type money, because the numbers being thrown around here are somewhat close to that when it comes to cap hit. EP is nowhere near that type of player who drives a line. Petey is a star, but not a superstar. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

weird I don't see that at all. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Do you think EP should get MacKinnon type money, because the numbers being thrown around here are somewhat close to that when it comes to cap hit. EP is nowhere near that type of player who drives a line. Petey is a star, but not a superstar. 

MacKinnon is 28 years old and signed a contract for 8 years until he is 36... ie expect some regression in his final years. Similar argument was put forward about Miller being paid $8M but he would regress at the end of his contract. 
Secondly MacKinnon is paid $12.6M not $12M 

Thirdly one could easily argue that MacKinnon is being underpaid? Not sure, what the tax is in Colorado? That may make up for the difference compared to Vancouver, but have a fair idea that he is taxed less than Petey? Anyone knows?

Finally, Petey will only be 33, when this contract ends, so very likely he'll be producing the same points total over the next 8 years as MacKinnon does. 
So while I think MacKinnon is a better player than Petey, doesn't mean Petey shouldn't be getting $11-12M... 

Have you actually heard, what the contract sounds like?

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Would that be 100+ point 'passenger Petey'?

How the hell does anyone make 100+ points being a passenger?

And before you speak too highly of Bo, there were pages after pages written about 'soft' Bo, who didn't get the boys going. If he did, he would still be here...

• Cheers 2