[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Teams have ups and downs. Tocchet’s style has them leading the league. I don’t think he’s lost the room…it’s just cycles within an NHL season. No need to be dramatic yet.

I think as much as anything, they look tired. Tocchet, rightfully so demands a lot. Will be interesting to see how they look after three days off from a game. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

nah, its just Feb and they at the top of the league. Even Boston players aren't really trying that hard right now. 

Yeah, like I've mentioned before... the 2010-11 Canucks were barely even playing .500 hockey from early Feb to early March 2011.  

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I also wonder why we're still experimenting with Bains? he's clearly a bit overmatched right now. We need some bigger kids, maybe time to call up Podz?

They probs send him down sooner than later. If nothing else, it's an indication that they really like how he's progressed.

The Canucks have been uncharacteristically healthy this season, usually we'd have had more opportunities to look at AHL guys by now. 

• ThereItIs 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

Podz could have a big impact if he's willing to engage like he has been in the AHL.

Switching out Podkolzin for Bains would be a good idea. Get Bains out of the pressure cooker for a while (might not be a very fun feeling to be in the locker room right now) and back to Abbotsford where he can take his NHL experience and apply it to the AHL game. 

• MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Would that be 100+ point 'passenger Petey'?

How the hell does anyone make 100+ points being a passenger?

And before you speak too highly of Bo, there were pages after pages written about 'soft' Bo, who didn't get the boys going. If he did, he would still be here...

I hear you about Petey and you’re right…..statistics wise, he has everything.  His point totals + the advanced stats do paint a pretty good picture of Petey.

Now having said that - let me ask you this:  Ignoring the stats and the underlying numbers, what does the eye test say to you?  

In your opinion, Does Pettersson scare opponents in the manner that 94 Bure, 96 Mogilny, 03 Bertuzzi, or 2011 twins did?  Take away the first 10 games of this season (which I will admit was incredible), and how has Petey *really* looked this year?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Switching out Podkolzin for Bains would be a good idea. Get Bains out of the pressure cooker for a while (might not be a very fun feeling to be in the locker room right now) and back to Abbotsford where he can take his NHL experience and apply it to the AHL game. 

In the last 10 games Silly P has 3 points. He hasn't really been filling in well for Bains whil Bains has been called up. If Pod was tearing it up I would agree. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I hear you about Petey and you’re right…..statistics wise, he has everything.  His point totals + the advanced stats do paint a pretty good picture of Petey.

Now having said that - let me ask you this:  Ignoring the stats and the underlying numbers, what does the eye test say to you?  

In your opinion, Does Pettersson scare opponents in the manner that 94 Bure, 96 Mogilny, 03 Bertuzzi, or 2011 twins did?  Take away the first 10 games of this season (which I will admit was incredible), and how has Petey *really* looked this year?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

In the last 10 games Silly P has 3 points. He hasn't really been filling in well for Bains whil Bains has been called up. If Pod was tearing it up I would agree. 

It's not about points with the call ups though. It's about experience. Bains looks overwhelmed out there. Best thing would be to switch out players to spread the experience around. I don't think Tocchet or any of the coaching staff think that AHL players being called up to the NHL will automatically result in an increase in points. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It's not about points with the call ups though. It's about experience. Bains looks overwhelmed out there. Best thing would be to switch out players to spread the experience around. I don't think Tocchet or any of the coaching staff think that AHL players being called up to the NHL will automatically result in an increase in points. 

I hear you there. Maybe karlsson should get the call though. 7 points in his last 5 and 12 in his last 10 games he's on a heater. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I agree, I wouldn't say only first 10n games of the year, but yes his play has not been up to the same standards as he used to be. Honestly, I think he spends far too much time trying to play a hard nosed style of hockey, which he isn't built for. It used to be all dangles and drawing pens, snap shots into the corners etc.

I don't know, what is going on behind the scenes, and many things involved in this...

Injury, private problems, loss of confidence, Contract discussions, maybe the manager has ask him to play in a way, that doesn't suit him etc etc.

Its not just Petey though... Have a look at our PP. It absolutely sucks atm.... Petey used to snipe a few regularly, but rarely hammers one home now...

I have a feeling, he is having wrist issues again, but don't take a break because of the contract issues, where he has to show, what he can do...

I still say though, form is temporary and talent is permanent... On his day, Petey ranks amongst the best in the league, but for whatever reason, it hasn't materialised this season. 

Its not that uncommon that star players have a dip in form now and again... and the thing is, imagine trading Petey and watch him really take off in another jersey... It has been seen several times both from players leaving Vancouver and players coming to Vancouver...

I hope he signs around 11=11.5 and will not be surprised to see him sign for 12x8 as reported. I will be delighted to see him sign at 11 just take some of the pressure from fans off him... we'll see 

PS. I think Bure is in a group of General talents... In todays game, I think he'd be as good as McD...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That proposal had Svechnikov not KK.

Huge difference.

What Sat Shah stated on Canucks Central, his "best guess" anyway, was: KK, Necas, 1st rounders and unspeficied draft picks.  Where did you hear Svechnikov?  That would have been even better than KK, particularly since Necas can potentially play centre.

Edited by CaptainCanuck12

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I agree, I wouldn't say only first 10n games of the year, but yes his play has not been up to the same standards as he used to be. Honestly, I think he spends far too much time trying to play a hard nosed style of hockey, which he isn't built for. It used to be all dangles and drawing pens, snap shots into the corners etc.

I don't know, what is going on behind the scenes, and many things involved in this...

Injury, private problems, loss of confidence, Contract discussions, maybe the manager has ask him to play in a way, that doesn't suit him etc etc.

Its not just Petey though... Have a look at our PP. It absolutely sucks atm.... Petey used to snipe a few regularly, but rarely hammers one home now...

I have a feeling, he is having wrist issues again, but don't take a break because of the contract issues, where he has to show, what he can do...

I still say though, form is temporary and talent is permanent... On his day, Petey ranks amongst the best in the league, but for whatever reason, it hasn't materialised this season. 

Its not that uncommon that star players have a dip in form now and again... and the thing is, imagine trading Petey and watch him really take off in another jersey... It has been seen several times both from players leaving Vancouver and players coming to Vancouver...

I hope he signs around 11=11.5 and will not be surprised to see him sign for 12x8 as reported. I will be delighted to see him sign at 11 just take some of the pressure from fans off him... we'll see 

I hope so too. 11 seems about right. Whip the fanbase into a frenzy with huge numbers then when he signs for less than the crazy numbers everyones calmed down and happy. They can sell it as if he took a discount. when the reality is he signed for fair market value. 

maybe he donates 500k to canucks place and boom he's a hero. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I hear you there. Maybe karlsson should get the call though. 7 points in his last 5 and 12 in his last 10 games he's on a heater. 

I'm thinking that Karlsson and Bains have already been called up on forward. Time to give a different player a call up. Podkolzin has NHL experience already so he'd be the next likely call up. I do think Bains is showing signs of being overwhelmed (which makes perfect sense as it's all new to him) and going back to Abbotsford would give him some familiarity and give him the ability to apply his NHL experience to grow his game in Abbotsford, which in turn, will grow his overall game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I hope so too. 11 seems about right. Whip the fanbase into a frenzy with huge numbers then when he signs for less than the crazy numbers everyones calmed down and happy. They can sell it as if he took a discount. when the reality is he signed for fair market value. 

Fair market value is 12-12.5

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that Karlsson and Bains have already been called up on forward. Time to give a different player a call up. Podkolzin has NHL experience already so he'd be the next likely call up. I do think Bains is showing signs of being overwhelmed (which makes perfect sense as it's all new to him) and going back to Abbotsford would give him some familiarity and give him the ability to apply his NHL experience to grow his game in Abbotsford, which in turn, will grow his overall game. 

Podkolzin is close to or at the limit for needing waivers to be sent down he is likely not called up until Abby is eliminated if needed and with the full club all next season. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Podkolzin is close to or at the limit for needing waivers to be sent down he is likely not called up until Abby is eliminated if needed and with the full club all next season. 

Ok. Good to know. Thank you.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

And as I said in the gdt.........to me, it seems like how Petey goes, the team follows.  When he's playing well, the team is playing well. When he struggles, so too does the team.  I know people love to think it's miller who carries the team, but it's not, it's Petey, imo.

Yeah I don't disagree on that...

I think, its two different kind of leaders, and we are lucky to have Miller locked in at 8... its quite frankly a steal of a contract, while he is playing the way he does. Petey doesn't have the physical attributes of Miller, who can bulldoze himself against any team, while he possesses great play making ability and finishing.

However, Petey on his day, is almost unplayable... He is on par with the best in the league... I think its fair assessment, that where Petey goes the team goes... The PP has died, while Petey is in a funk...

I wonder why it has been so hard to find a proper lineman to Petey... Last year Kuz potted 39 goals, and was well helped along the way by Petey (if I'm not totally mistaken).. As absurd as it sounds, Kessel could be exactly, what Petey needs on his line...

38 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I think as much as anything, they look tired. Tocchet, rightfully so demands a lot. Will be interesting to see how they look after three days off from a game. 

I think that is the bottom line... they've had a crazy schedule, lots of travel with weird game times... I think the rest coming up will do wonders for the team... and Petey in particular.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Fair market value is 12-12.5

only 50% of Petes points are 5v5 nearly 30% of Petes points are 2ndary assists. Now by all means Pete is elite don't get me twisted but If you don't use those idiots in toronto who will never win anything as a measuring stick 11m is fair. 

Edited by Hammertime

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Miller was invisible at beginning of January, but Petey was red hot and the team was red hot as well.  

Dood you're full of it sometimes.  Miller was invisible?  There was 13 games in January.  Through the first 6 games of the month he had 10 points.  He finished the month with 19 points in 13 games.  Sorry, your comment was just full of shit there.  Had to call it out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

only 50% of Petes points are 5v5 nearly 30% of Petes points are 2ndary assists. Now by all means Pete is elite don't get me twisted but If you don't use those idiots in toronto who will never win anything as a measuring stick 11m is fair. 

I could honestly see anywhere from 11-12.8 (I've said that a few times). The formulas have been rehashed over and over again.. and you're right, Toronto has buggered up the market... that doesn't mean an agent can't use it (or that management can't object to it being used 😅). It will be interesting to see where it lands.