[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Just now, Rekker said:

Yes! Eastern media will be devastated not having this Canucks "drama" to talk about anymore. 

Oh they'll have a negative spin on it, probably shitting on the fan base somehow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

• Odd. changed the title to [Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

11.6x8 is a fantastic deal and also shows how much Petey wants to be Here he took less money to help gives and signed ontl max term, the less money thing is huge allows us to Continue having a competitive team going forward. Good job Alvin and thank you Petey

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Let's give some credit to this super experienced management group.  They knew exactly what they were doing with getting into trade discussions with Carolina.  Wouldn't surprise me if they leaked the news as well to light a fire in the Petey camp.  

Overall, this is excellent news for everyone involved.  Bring on the TDL!

Ya, no one is perfect but it is hard not to be impressed.

Understanding leverage and pressure points in negotiations is JR teaching Allvin and also having the cred to keep the owner out of it.  

I wonder if we are a few signings now with Hronek up next.

• Upvote 1

aw canucks fans are so predictable. Happy he's signed though. If we leak 12 fans go into a frenzy then when he takes 400k less it will look like he took a discount and everyone will be happy. Fair deal. I'm stoked for the future. 

On 2/28/2024 at 5:16 PM, MeanSeanBean said:

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if he signs in short order. So many people giving me hell yesterday for being chill about the situation can eat my butt if he signs.

Friendly reminder to anyone who gave me shit a couple days ago, breakfast is served. 

• Cheers 2

Fair deal all around. 

Glad he wants to stay long term, that removes any concerns I had about his commitment to the Canucks.

GCG! 

now go win a cup petey. 

I don’t think he understands how much this will mean to the fans…. He wants to be here, that’s all we wanted 

I foresee the debate will now shift to whether 11.6 is a discount.  IMO it is because market would likely put him closer to 12m.  He may not have left a LOT on the table, but every $100k helps.

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hope Petey gets a bit of a cheer at the next home game to bring him up a bit too, he could have really messed with the team and waited for the off-season but it's clear both parties wanted this.

If he gets a nice cheer, I bet he has a huge game.  I feel like he's the type of player that feeds off the crowd.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I foresee the debate will now shift to whether 11.6 is a discount.  IMO it is because market would likely put him closer to 12m.  He may not have left a LOT on the table, but every $100k helps.

Now would be the time to relax and let him continue to develop without nitpicking every play. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

$11.6 million is a hometown discount?  Seems like he got paid on par with market value (not a bad thing, but I'm not seeing much of a discount here).

Like I said - I'm happy that we've got a good young Center that is locked up for the next 8 years.  

Pettersson is currently the 4th best player on the team, and is bordering on being a franchise level star.  

He has that potential - we saw it during the first 10 games of the seasons, and periodic flashes after that.  

Having said that, he's going to need to step up if he wants to live up to this new contract.  

Hopefully, with the contract distraction in the rear view mirror now, we can see the Elias Pettersson that we saw during the 2nd half of the 2021/2022 season.....or the Pettersson that we saw during the first 10 games of this season.  

He left money on the table tho, he is a center that has been in the selke conversation the last couple years. The cap is going up and he could have gotten more. So that’s what makes it a discount. Yes he has been a different player the last couple months, but he’s also playing with mediocre wingers

i agree he is the 4th best Canuck at the moment. It’s not a huge discount, but it is one, and I think fans should be happy to See it. 

He will become the first Swedish born player ever to record back to back 100 point seasons if he gets there this year and is only 25. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Now would be the time to relax and let him continue to develop without nitpicking every play. 

I'm good with that, but it's the debate I see surfacing.  No matter how it's spun, I think he took a discount.  The amount of discount is irrelevant to me.

• ThereItIs 1