[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 minute ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

It’s not a huge discount, but it is one, and I think fans should be happy to see it.

This is the key.  It's a discount.  It didn't have to be a big one.  Any discount collectively by your top guys will trickle down and add up.  If 6 of your top guys takes $200k less, that's $1.2m extra cap to work with.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bobby Lou said:

I would've liked abit of a lower cap hit. I predicted 11.25 over 5... I am happy with the 8 yr term tho and 11.6 isn't terrible. 

Nit picking I know lol. Go get Hronek locked in now somewhere around 7.5

I think we should do Joshua next then Hronek but that's just IMO 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

He left money on the table tho, he is a center that has been in the selke conversation the last couple years. The cap is going up and he could have gotten more. So that’s what makes it a discount. Yes he has been a different player the last couple months, but he’s also playing with mediocre wingers

i agree he is the 4th best Canuck at the moment. It’s not a huge discount, but it is one, and I think fans should be happy to See it. 

He will become the first Swedish born player ever to record back to back 100 point seasons if he gets there this year and is only 25. 

You might be right but here's how I'm seeing things right now:

Along with Pettersson, comparable cap hits now include MacKinnon, McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, and Pastrnak.

I love Pettersson, but can we honestly say that as of this writing, Petey belongs in that same weight class?   I'm not so sure.

Petey is going to need to step up.  

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.41.10 PM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i don't see any clauses in his contract. no trade protection.

Those tend to trickle out after the number has been announced.  To early to make an assumption either way 

Fair deal for both sides. As the cap increases this should turn into a favorable deal for the club and this buys out alot of UFA years. There is no doubt that the noise of the contract was weighing on him and hurt his play on the ice..Now hopefully he can focus on helping the team win a championship.  

Just now, Bob Long said:

He did take one, like Miller did.

But even more impressive to me is he made the longest commitment possible. Fans should be pretty happy about real talent wanting to be here, we haven't had that luxury that often.

Yeah the 8 year term is fantastic.  Hope Hronek does the same and our core will be together for several years.  Which means we SHOULD have several solid attempts at a cup.

• ThereItIs 2

I'm content with this number. Would have liked it lower, like 11 even, but let's not be too picky.

Hopefully he can get his mind back on the ice and start potting some goals. Like bring back the one-timer already. I don't care if it's blocked, a couple of 95+ mph shots to the shins and they'll be flinching all night long. 

Bobby Hull used to say, ' the first time I come down the ice I shoot at the goalie's head and I don't care if I hit it or not. The next time down it's low and away cause the goalie will be leery of another head shot ' 

• Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Yes! Eastern media will be devastated not having this Canucks "drama" to talk about anymore. 

lol now the media will stir up something else “ Joshua wants out” or “ Hoglander is jealous of his best friends new contract and demands Peteys Swedish meatballs on the plane ride to Anaheim”

super happy love the deal, love this team! Go Canucks! :towel:

• Haha 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Wouldn't surprise me Rutherford made the first call, smart tactic 

I do think management respecting Peteys desire not to negotiate, basically until the market conditions made that impossible, was a brilliant move.  Probably made the trade offer discussion pretty intense and clearly shocked Petey into action.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You might be right but here's how I'm seeing things right now:

Along with Pettersson, comparable cap hits now include MacKinnon, McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, and Pastrnak.

I love Pettersson, but can we honestly say that as of this writing, Petey belongs in that same weight class?   I'm not so sure.

Petey is going to need to step up.  

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.41.10 PM.png

Except Matthews will be over $13m next year, and McDavid will be way higher soon.  

Petey is a solid $1m behind Mackinnon.  

The only guy he needs to really play up to is Pastrnak.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This is the key.  It's a discount.  It didn't have to be a big one.  Any discount collectively by your top guys will trickle down and add up.  If 6 of your top guys takes $200k less, that's $1.2m extra cap to work with.

Bingo, it doesn’t need to be a million or two less, that’s a big chunk of money.

But you have your top guys like miller and petty taking a little less, that will show the other players to follow.

This will allow signing a 2 mil player instead of a league minimum. Thats great business and I love this management 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cluminati said:

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

$11.6m when Petey hits his late 20s is gonna look pretty darn good IMO.  

Now we need to sort out Hronek.  Hopefully he leaves a little bit on the table too.

11.6 is a steal. That’s a fantastic deal!