[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Dude is a Canucks for rest of his career like JT if they everything goes as planned.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I do think management respecting Peteys desire not to negotiate, basically until the market conditions made that impossible, was a brilliant move.  Probably made the trade offer discussion pretty intense and clearly shocked Petey into action.

I thought I heard Friedman yesterday or maybe I was dreaming that there may have been other teams involved. Either way it's nice it's over with now 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You might be right but here's how I'm seeing things right now:

Along with Pettersson, comparable cap hits now include MacKinnon, McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, and Pastrnak.

I love Pettersson, but can we honestly say that as of this writing, Petey belongs in that same weight class?   I'm not so sure.

Petey is going to need to step up.  

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.41.10 PM.png

I see your point for sure, and it’s a good one. But those contracts were signed at a different time. Inflation is going to be huge in the coming years and management and players all know this. 

Petey will need to step it up for sure, but I think we all know he certainly has that in him!

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Hey, people from the other day...

EAAAAATTTT MYYYYYY BUTTTTTTTT.

let's go Petey!!! So stoked!

Actually, you should be furious with Petey based on your numerous (and I mean numerous) posts defending why waiting till the summer to sign is fine, and about how petey keeping his word is a good thing and you can't fault him for not signing and blah blah.

Now Petey breaks his word and you still think youre right Somehow?

Petey just made you look pretty silly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Except Matthews will be over $13m next year, and McDavid will be way higher soon.  

Petey is a solid $1m behind Mackinnon.  

The only guy he needs to really play up to is Pastrnak.

MacKinnon is the clear cut #1 or #1A player on his team alongside Makar.  You can play MacKinnon with pretty much anyone and his line is a threat almost every single time.  MacKinnon, as of this writing, has surpassed 100 points. The guy us a clear cut Franchise superstar with a Cup to his name.

I love Petey, and we have seen flashes of franchise potential (i.e. first 10 games of this season + 2nd half of 21/22 season, etc.), but there's too many stretches where he's been non-existent.  He has one goal in his last 10 games right now.  He's the 4th best player on the Canucks right now.  

With respect, Petey is a lot more than $1m behind Mackinnon at current imo.  

I like Petey and see potential, but he'll need to step up if he wants to earn his new Franchise level contract.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

aw canucks fans are so predictable. Happy he's signed though. If we leak 12 fans go into a frenzy then when he takes 400k less it will look like he took a discount and everyone will be happy. Fair deal. I'm stoked for the future. 

400k a year for hysterics. sounds about right

3 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

Petey will need to step it up for sure, but I think we all know he certainly has that in him!

I hope you're right.  We saw it for the first 10 games of this season, and at certain moments during the season after that, but he's going to need to work on his consistency.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Nice job, surely we wait until the off-season for the rest of the signings. What I'd like to see:

Hronek - 7 years x 7.25M

Blueger - 3 years x 3M

Joshua - 3 years x 3M

Zadorov - 5 years x 4M

Lindholm - 1 year x 6M

Tanev - 2 years x 3M

That's +15M in raises including the OEL dead cap.

Let Myers and Cole walk (8M), flip Mikheyev for a pick (5M) and replace DeSmith and Lafferty with AHLers (just about 2M in savings)

It'd be tight but there is a way we can achieve this:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

PDG - Aman - Bains

Raty

Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen

I'd rather we spend Lindholm's money on a top-4 solid defenceman instead but hey ho.