[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The more I think about it I don’t think it was a ploy.

I think the longer this went on it was always likely teams were gonna start calling. Carolina just happened to be the one to take an actual run at getting him.

I do think that management took a hard stance that they weren’t gonna let this go to the summer though. They were scared of their own Takchuk situation happening, especially with how tight lipped and standoffish Petey was being.

I think it was a part of plan B, in a worst case scenario.

Great news to wake up to. I was afraid Petey would sign for 3-5 years and when the cap goes up, take us to the cleaners like Mathews.

Thankfully, he wants to win more.

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

happy enough with it. 

I play fantasy hockey in several keeper leagues here on these forums (enquire if you want to try your hand, we have some vacancies) and I always look at next years cap increase as free money when I am about to re-sign a star player. Taking into account next years 'free money' we landed petey for the same dough as he made this year, plus the free money. hehehe, silly way to view it, but it is my way of saying YESSSS, decent enough deal for a decent enough player. I think we are on track now folks after forty years in the desert, this club has talent to win now, and talent in the minors to win later, and we have all our 2025 draft picks except the third round. 

I am happy today with the team just as i was happy with them yesterday. Great news though. 

almost 25 million to sign Lindholm, Hronek and bi Z with along with Dakota Joshua whom I think this team desperately needs on that third line for the next three years.

I think Lindholm won’t be re-signed. He hasn’t shown he fits in the top 6 and will be too expensive for a 3c. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Did I miss the press conference or is it later?

you missed it and now that it’s over there’s no way you’ll ever be able to hear it again ha ha ha ha!

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Petey gets 12M in signing bonus July 2024. 

Damn, that would be nice.

He’s going to but a nice mansion in PT Grey. Real Estate brokers licking their chops.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canucks curse said:

tbh this is way lower than I anticipated, essentially the Nylander contract and he is waaaay more valuable than nylander

wondering if we see the guentzel trade soon to get Petey that winger he needs 

Ya, I expected 12.5

he left a “little” on the table but not much. 

still a fair contract for both sides 

20 minutes ago, brownky said:

I guess the Canucks' management decided to play some cards of their own with the Carolina threat.

Sign, or you can learn to love it in Raleigh.

Then he googled Raleigh.

Now he's signed.

Raleigh is a very nice city. As nice as Vancouver minus the huge drug problem. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

tbh this is way lower than I anticipated, essentially the Nylander contract and he is waaaay more valuable than nylander

wondering if we see the guentzel trade soon to get Petey that winger he needs 

Just curious what you mean by “way lower”? What cap hit were you expecting ? I thought he would get 12 so nice to see a big whopping savings of 400K! F*** yeah! That will get us half of a minimum league contract. So stoked

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol at guys like Friedman pushing Bs narratives on this all season saying Petey was gonna get like 12-13 mil or pushing for less term.

Turns out he signed an almost identical deal to Nylander. I think they wanted it to be way more to make them feel better about Willie’s deal. 😂

Let's be fair though - he may have been getting tipped off from the Pettersson side.

Just now, PureQuickness said:

Let's be fair though - he may have been getting tipped off from the Pettersson side.

True.

Seemed like alot of games being played through all this. Just glad it’s done so we can go back to focusing on the team.

• Cheers 1

Haven’t read everyone’s thoughts here but this seems like a great deal for the Canucks.  

My “worries” were Petey coming in over 12 mil AAV a season OR pulling a “Matthews” and signing for only a 4-5 year deal to try and squeeze another raise / too long contract at 29-30 years old. 

Petey has given the team a nice little AAV discount of about half a mil (IMO) and signed until a great age of about 33.  

If nothing else, this is a PPG+ player who has the tools to be a top 5 producer when he’s “on.” Worth the price and glad we didn’t pay for his ceiling, either - gives lots of room for this to land in the bargain zone.  We’ll see lesser players signing for more in the next 2 years I can guarantee it.

• Cheers 2

Long contract but he is young. Hopefully it ages well and he becomes one of the all time greats, leading us to where no canuck has victoriously gone before.

When he's on, he's unstoppable, just need to turn that on for the playoffs. With hughes/pettey/miller and demko we have a solid core.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2