[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Why does everything always have to circle back to Benning insert hypothetical. It's pathetic. I'm kind of fond of Miller, Hughes, Demko, Pete, Hog, Boeser, Juulson et al. Benning certainly made errors and was pretty mediocre. But it's as if he was some super villian who went around kicking babies. 

He was incapable of assembling a winning team.
Seven years and couldn’t  even get close. People are considering what a mess he e would have  created if given 10 years. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

First of all I never called Benning a “super villain”. That’s on you.

My remarks were that his biggest weakness was contract work. 

Get a grip

What does Benning have to do with todays events. 

Get a grip. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He sure signed an 8 year deal just today.... lol

Saving $2 to $2.6 million is huge.. 

We should've signed him last summer when he would've cost us 10 million.  

It's not like Allvin didn't try. Petey and his agent once again bet on themselves and got themselves more money. 

I don't spend any time on these hypotheticals as we don't know what was on the table and what the player wanted and didn't want.  

We'll have to wait 20 years for Peteys book to come and find out the facts 😉

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Great deal! and great to have the distraction out of the way. Petey will end up being one of the best forwards this team has ever had. This will be 8 years of being a competitive team - the future is bright!

At the end of his contract he'll own all the records  And Hughes all the D men records

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

That idiot is the reason this situation was in this place to begin with..

Pettersson wanted to sign longterm last contract. But dumb dumb said he didn't have the cap space so signed him to a lower cap 3 year deal..

If it wasn't for that moron Pettersson would have been signed to long term under 9 million per year...

Not to defend Benning, but iirc the talk was about 10 mil AAV at the time.

IMO the timeline on this deal works out better - as this contract runs until Petey is 33.  Had he gone long on the last one, we’d be worse off now, better off for the next 4 years but he’d be re-signing at that dreaded 29-30 year old spot that just sucks if the player can command term.

(feel free to correct ages / term - I didn’t check this.. just a ballpark.)

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

At the end of his contract he'll own all the records  And Hughes all the D men records

Just bring home Stanley’s cup to his home - his world famous park… in Vancouver FFS

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Kinda like how Trudeau brings up Harper… 

the naked gun facepalm GIF

It was a reference of good contract negotiations and a win by this group. It’s not a stretch to compare with the last GM. Don’t know why this is so off base

Edited by Grandmaster

5 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Lol

i have cheap beachfront property to sell you in Florida 

I don't think I'd feel comfortable having you as my agent. 

Pettersson " I wanna wait until summer" 

Bardown " he's in a rush to sign a contract"

Customer " I'm looking for a ski lodge in Colorado "

Bardown " I found that beach front property you're looking for in Florida "

😄 🤣 😂 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I'm not in here to groan happy he is signed. This argument is horse shit though. 

Mak is at 100 points, Pete's at 78 Maks got a cup and "drives play" hate that term but in this case it can't be denied. Pete is not 1mill less of a player than Mak. Nathan is in a different league than Pete. Right now real world Pete should be 3m less than Nate. Am I butt hurt about it no. If anything I think Mackinnon took a discount and Pete took a fair contract hence the 1m gap. 

I agree amigo. 
But whats the tax in Colorado. Not sure why Mac signed such a sweetheart deal there, but its more a case of Mac playing well above his contract, just like Miller does. 
However Macs  ontracts goes on until he is 36 at least ( so maybe because of expected reduction in production at the later part of his contract)...

Mac should be up there with McD and Matthews. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

We should've signed him last summer when he would've cost us 10 million.  

It's not like Allvin didn't try. Petey and his agent once again bet on themselves and got themselves more money. 

I don't spend any time on these hypotheticals as we don't know what was on the table and what the player wanted and didn't want.  

We'll have to wait 20 years for Peteys book to come and find out the facts 😉

Yeah, something like this.  Allvin tried to get it done last summer and Petey was fine waiting it out.  

Again, iirc, Benning tried Petey first but he was asking a lot - so pivoted to a great Hughes deal instead.  Of course, he should have been able to do *both* but the implication to me was that Petey wasn’t willing to settle for an 8x8 or anything Paltry.  He got 7.5 or whatever just buying RFA years. He wanted big money even back then to go long.

Edited by The Duke

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Reason why Petey isn't the captain?

Probably part of it

I said it the other day, Pettersson has never seemed keen on media duties so why would he sign up to deal with more of it?

I don't think he ever really wanted to be captain, and that's fine, maybe he didn't want the additional pressure 

Sometimes it's better for top end forwards to just focus on playing their game, some folks shit on Henrik's captaincy but he balanced playing at a high level with gracefully being a captain in a rabid Canadian market

I doubt it's easy

He sure took his lumps from the media and the fanbase, Horvat handled the role well too despite the lumps he also took from the media and the fanbase 

Being a captain in a Canadian market is a thankless job, it just puts a bigger target on your back

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Grandmaster said:

It was a reference of good contract negotiations and a win my this group. It’s not a stretch to compare with the last GM. Don’t know why this is so off base

It’s not off base at all. Had Benning been given more time todays events would likely not have unfolded. 
Everything happens as a result of previous actions. Nothing wrong with looking back to see what got us here. 

Workplace accidents, as an example, don’t disregard previous actions in order to get to the cause or result. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I completely disagree with your view. 

None of the evidence supports your theory that the team, and petey and the fans were supportive of petey waiting till the summer.

Hence the Carolina trade potential, and the restless fans, and the GM being uncertain about salary cap future.

And then ultimately hence Petey resigning. 

I guess you'll have to speak for yourself then.  I as a fan was not "restless" by the manufactured media firestorm. I'm not that gullible.  I had faith Petey would have re-signed in Summer.  Some in the local media try to blame fans for MAKING them freak out on the air.  "fans are worried...blah blah blah".  Funny how invented controversy gets listener clicks like that. 

I didn't include management in that contract of patience, because they do want the cap certainty as soon as possible. And I'm not saying that is not a good thing to nail down right now, before the TD.  But there are also advantages for management to wait until after evaluating his playoff numbers. Could very well have been management that called Canada's no. 1 clickbait whore Elliotte Friedman for a favour.

But I never heard fans calling radio stations demanding they stir the pot and force answers from Petey.  Not this fan. As I said, speak for yourself.

• Cheers 2

Said this since last offseason, anything under 12 is a deal.
This is a deal. 

if we can get him and Hronek for under $20M that is better than I expected. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, kilgore said:

I guess you'll have to speak for yourself then.  I as a fan was not "restless" by the manufactured media firestorm. I'm not that gullible.  I had faith Petey would have re-signed in Summer.  Some in the local media try to blame fans for MAKING them freak out on the air.  "fans are worried...blah blah blah".  Funny how invented controversy gets listener clicks like that. 

I didn't include management in that contract of patience, because they do want the cap certainty as soon as possible. And I'm not saying that is not a good thing to nail down right now, before the TD.  But there are also advantages for management to wait until after evaluating his playoff numbers. Could very well have been management that called Canada's no. 1 clickbait whore Elliotte Friedman for a favour.

But I never heard fans calling radio stations demanding they stir the pot and force answers from Petey.  Not this fan. As I said, speak for yourself.

Maybe don't speak for me either though. It wasn't the media that made me restless. It was Petterssons Play this year, plus the fact we are/were #1 in the standings and some long term decisions needed to be made plus we have other players to sign, plus we're approaching the TDL and management needs to have an idea of this team's future.

Just because someone disagrees with you isn't a reason to assume they are stupid and you are smart.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Honestly? For me, in order:
Joshua, Hronek, Big Z

DeSmith, Blueger, Myers, Cole, Lindholm

Lafferty, Friedman

i hope blueger is a priority.  him and joshua. unless they can find cheaper joshuas.

• Like 3

I’m just going to re-iterate this here for clarity, as it stands out to me… disclaimer: not “defending” Benning with this, as it’s unintentional. 

Had Benning gone long on Petey he’d IMO be getting about 10 mil AAV.

This puts us in a *worse* position for the last 3 years (other than this season, not a big deal) but a *better* position for the next 5.

But then *worse again* having to re-sign him at a tough age where decline is inevitable but he’s still producing like his prime. 

My takeaway is a long term deal in the past would still be advantageous.. but maybe not as much as you’d think at first blush.  We’ve certainly made the most of that 2.5 mil this season at least and I like the clarity of re-signing a 33 year old rather than a 29 year old down the line.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 3