[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo.

12% less tax... 12.6 x 0.59 =  $ 7.4M v 11.6 x 0.47 = 5.45 So I guess in real money MacKinnon get roughly $2M net more than Petey each year... 

And I still think Mac is underpaid at that just now at least.

Just like I think Miller is severely underpaid just now.

Ya I think it's about that. I'm no lawyer though @mll I believe explained this to me once in child speak when I was trying to argue @HKSR"s point 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

the rumors for Mack were 13-14 he took a discount for sure. 

According to 32 Thoughts, MacKinnon may be looking to become the highest-paid player in the NHL. There are a few ways to look at that statement. Currently, the highest contact cap hit belongs to Connor McDavid at $12.5 million, but contracts like Shea Weber’s 2012 14-year deal with the Nashville Predators have a higher overall value. Further, the highest yearly salary belongs to Joe Sakic at $16.45 million. However, with the way the salary cap and contract limitations are now structured, there is no way for MacKinnon to sign for longer than eight years or make more than $16.5 million.

So, if Nathan MacKinnon is set the become the highest-paid player in the league, he’ll likely sign an 8-year $13-14 million contract with the Avalanche through some mix of base salary and bonuses to protect against lost money due to lockouts. It’s also likely the contract is front-loaded like McDavid and Mitch Marners’ contracts.

Whether the contract settles at $13 million or $14 million or somewhere in that range doesn’t matter, Nathan MacKinnon’s next contract will most likely double his previous cap hit.

That’s not a pill the Avalanche are prepared to easily swallow.

Yep just as I said, he is underpaid... 

If MacKinnon signed a contract today like Petey, I would expect $13.6M to at least be the number with rising cap etc. 

Avalanche got a steal of a contract just like we did with Miller.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

That lineup of players, save a few spots, is first in the conference this year. Mgmt will continue to add youth to the lineup and fill gaps at the TDL so the bottom six and D will fluctuate based on prospect development/etc. But if Mgmt decide that they want to keep DJ and Blueger, that line will need to become the second line.

Another option could be:

Xx/UFA Miller Boeser

DJ EP Garland

xx xx xx

Xx xx xx

EP Miller Boeser

DJ Blueger Garland

Mik/xx Suter Hogs

PDG Aman Bains/xx

QH Hronek

Soucy xx

Xx Juulsen

Demko

Desmith

You've got no 2nd line

This years 3rd is our 2nd

This years 4th is our 3rd

Spare parts are our 4th

Only 2 top 4 D

It's a pretty spare line up which is why I'm calling it a non-playoff team.  I don't have quite as pessimistic of view

Suffice to say that Allvin has his work cut out for him to ice a team next year.  I think they'll take a step back before they get another shot at the cup but once prospects like Lekkerimaki, Willander, D Petey, and Podkolzin etc are ready, then they'll be back.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

OMG lol

And you're the one selling other people bridges in Alaska or cheap water front properties in Florida ???

Have a good day Einstein.. Clearly you're too smart for me ...  

Thanks for finally admitting it 

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Aye he was pretty good at explaining these things... @IBatch as well 

None the less I don't want to detract from the glorious signing Petey day. I'm tickled. Couldn't be happier that we didn't get bent over and the deal was fair for both parties. I don't think it was a discount though. And If @HKSR is trying to formulate some argument that based on Mackinnon Pete is 1m close in terms of talent that's false. But maybe I'm equally as pot kettle by getting involved in that discussion as calling out others for trying to bring Benning into the chat or Trudeau. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Jock tax

https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/iiclr/pdf/vol10p79.pdf

They are taxed both as canadian and american citizens. 

Professional athletes owe a portion of their salary to most states and cities they visit — even for a single day. 

I looked at that really quickly and I thought it said jock itch…

Scratching Baby Animals GIF by NowThis

• Haha 1

Just now, Hammertime said:

None the less I don't want to detract from the glorious signing Petey day. I'm tickled. Couldn't be happier that we didn't get bent over and the deal was fair for both parties. I don't think it was a discount though. And If @HKSR is trying to formulate some argument that based on Mackinnon Pete is 1m close in terms of talent that's false. But maybe I'm equally as pot kettle by getting involved in that discussion as calling out others for trying to bring Benning into the chat or Trudeau. 

I'm fine if we agree to disagree 😄

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Why does term raise Petes cap but lower Hroneks? Their the same age. 

I don’t think it raised petey’s. petey took a slight discount. 

For Hronek 8x7.25 = 58 mil

If he goes to ufa, a team would have to pay him 8.3 x 7 to be equivalent 

I don’t think anyone is offering Hronek 8.3 mil x 7 

Petey similarly would have had to get 13.25 x 7 to be similar. Granted he’s an RFA, so the year after next

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

We are lucky to have an owner that:

1) can afford bonus payouts like that

2) is willing to pay

It’s an edge some teams do not have

Yup. Our owner cut a big cheque to dumperoo OELevator too. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

I don’t think it raised petey’s. petey took a slight discount. 

For Hronek 8x7.25 = 58 mil

If he goes to ufa, a team would have to pay him 8.3 x 7 to be equivalent 

I don’t think anyone is offering Hronek 8.3 mil x 7 

Petey similarly would have had to get 13.25 x 7 to be similar. Granted he’s an RFA, so the year after next

Youre assuming Hronek retires when his contract concludes at age 32?

Petey kinda looked like a kid that got busted for trying to pull a fast one.  Petey chuckling off his power move on Jim R and Jim turn the tables so quickly, it was like "yah got me, I was just playin'. "

Edited by Pure961089
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nice job, surely we wait until the off-season for the rest of the signings. What I'd like to see:

Hronek - 7 years x 7.25M

Blueger - 3 years x 3M

Joshua - 3 years x 3M

Zadorov - 5 years x 4M

Lindholm - 1 year x 6M

Tanev - 2 years x 3M

That's +15M in raises including the OEL dead cap.

Let Myers and Cole walk (8M), flip Mikheyev for a pick (5M) and replace DeSmith and Lafferty with AHLers (just about 2M in savings)

It'd be tight but there is a way we can achieve this:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

PDG - Aman - Bains

Raty

Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen

I'd rather we spend Lindholm's money on a top-4 solid defenceman instead but hey ho.

This is kind of what I was thinking too. Good plan. Not sure we can get some of those players for that, though. Don’t know if Tanav signs for 3…or that Lindholm goes for 6. Maybe it’s let Zadorov walk and resign Cole for 3, try to get Blueger down a bit…And Mik definitely has to go.

Petey taking a bit of a discount helps with all of this of course…

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I'll be brutally honest and say, its around the number, I thought he would sign at. How much of a discount or not it is, is up to what he brings in the future... If he scores around 100+ points most years throughout his contract, I think we can all agree he will have earned it...

However, if he should flounder, then it a hell of a big hit to take... But these are the chances we have to take... 

Where we really need to hit the jack pot now, Is Lekkerimaki becoming a super goalscorer and Wallander at least becoming a top 4 RHD... These starting contracts will come in extremely handy over the next couple of years.

I personally think, MacKinnon is close to the talents, we call generational... He does everything... but that is just me... few does a few things better, but rarely as many as MacKinnon... 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's a big leap though to just assume taxes don't matter.  Besides whatever advantages Petey has to tax evasion, MacKinnon would too... so kind of washes out.

Exactly none of these guys are paying what is required. They aren't evading either. When you have lawyers and an army of accountants you pay very little whether your in US or Canada. Either way glad petey got signed. Now management can move forward 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Youre assuming Hronek retires when his contract concludes at age 32?

No - I’m saying us giving him 8 years at 7.25 is fair and is equivalent of some other team giving him 8.3 on the max term they can give which is 7 years . It’s unlikely someone offers him 8.3 mil is my point 

therefore 7.25 x 8 should retain him 

There’s Not many defenders making 8.3 mil and above 

and all of them are world class all stars potential hall of famers other than Nurse’s god awful contract 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

Edited by Bardown

5 hours ago, BPA said:

So Hronek next to get a deal done.  He’s projected to get 58pts this season.  So thinking about $7M to get him resigned.

Lindholm (maybe) to be resigned.  BUT rumours were $8-9M cap hit.  Sorry but he’s nowhere near that.  His stats shows he’s a 50-60pt player.  So around $6M or let him walk.

Zads brings the toughness on D.  Avgs 15-20pts.  Probably a 4-5 D pairing.  So about $4M to resign him. 

Joshua.  Excellent 3rd line big winger.  Possibly a 30pt player.  Late bloomer though.  Thinking $2.5M

Don't think we'll get him in for that... he is likely $3-3.5M after the season he has had...

5 hours ago, DSVII said:

Great news to wake up to. I was afraid Petey would sign for 3-5 years and when the cap goes up, take us to the cleaners like Mathews.

Thankfully, he wants to win more.

This... it will be a good contract in 3-4 years, when biggest part of OEL penalty is gone, and QH has to sign his next deal... We should have a window again then for a good few years...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1