[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

This... it will be a good contract in 3-4 years, when biggest part of OEL penalty is gone, and QH has to sign his next deal... We should have a window again then for a good few years...

He left money on the table to keep Quinn by taking term. A very good point 

a point many are missing 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

I'll be brutally honest and say, its around the number, I thought he would sign at. How much of a discount or not it is, is up to what he brings in the future... If he scores around 100+ points most years throughout his contract, I think we can all agree he will have earned it...

However, if he should flounder, then it a hell of a big hit to take... But these are the chances we have to take... 

Where we really need to hit the jack pot now, Is Lekkerimaki becoming a super goalscorer and Wallander at least becoming a top 4 RHD... These starting contracts will come in extremely handy over the next couple of years.

I personally think, MacKinnon is close to the talents, we call generational... He does everything... but that is just me... few does a few things better, but rarely as many as MacKinnon... 

100%

I absolutely understand the potential is there i'm a huge fan of Pete and I can go back on CDC to the draft and quote myself he was my #1 pick at our spot. Mittlestadt was my runner up. Potential is a double edge sword though. I'll point to Pete Mittlestadt or Hughes Boqvist. It's one thing with picks if they don't pan out that sucks too bad. 8 year contracts are different. If Pete looks like he has the month of febraury that's a decade of darkages for our franchise. Obvoiusly I'm not that short sighted I'm just illustrating my point. He's 25 I feel 11.6 is fair for the player he has proved to be today. Of course I'm optomistic that now that he's put pen to paper he blossoms like the sedins did at 26.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bardown said:

No - I’m saying us giving him 8 years at 7.25 is fair and is equivalent of some other team giving him 8.3 on the max term they can give which is 7 years . It’s unlikely someone offers him 8.3 mil is my point 

therefore 7.25 x 8 should retain him 

There’s Not many defenders making 8.3 mil and above 

and all of them are world class all stars potential hall of famers other than Nurse’s god awful contract 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

It's only equivilent if he retires in 7 years. who knows maybe at 32 he signs a short term 3 years at 10m is it equivelant then? I realise I'm just being argumentative. 

All things being equal ofcourse. 

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

100%

I absolutely understand the potential is there i'm a huge fan of Pete and I can go back on CDC to the draft and quote myself he was my #1 pick at our spot. Mittlestadt was my runner up. Potential is a double edge sword though. I'll point to Pete Mittlestadt or Hughes Boqvist. It's one thing with picks if they don't pan out that sucks too bad. 8 year contracts are different. If Pete looks like he has the month of febraury that's a decade of darkages for our franchise. Obvoiusly I'm not that short sighted I'm just illustrating my point. He's 25 I feel 11.6 is fair for the player he has proved to be today. Of course I'm optomistic that now that he's put pen to paper he blossoms like the sedins did at 26.  

Absolutely its a gamble, like with all big contracts... especially with Petey having a bit of a funk just now... 

But, he is getting into his prime years... Benning (yes him nobody likes) said you win with 28-33 years old players... 

Miller hit his top form in that period, as did the Sedins and Kessler, Bertuzzi, Nazzy etc etc.... so it's fair to hope we haven't even seen the best of Petey yet, and that he is going to be even better as he grows older...

Anyway here's hoping 🙂

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Don't think we'll get him in for that... he is likely $3-3.5M after the season he has had...

He has only had that season in this team. There is likely a market for him over 3mil, but Joshua knows he is going to be better to stay with the Canucks at a lower AVV to prove his potential. I am thinking 2 Mil bridge deal, maybe 4 years? at that point he can get 6 or 7mil on any other team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

OK so what’s your prediction for next game is Petey going to play like a god and get a bunch of points?

or is he going to blow dead bears?

your thoughts…

Wait What Reaction GIF

bwahahaha I forget who said that was it you on bains that i called out. Good times. Man I hope Peter pops off now that he can put this saga behind him and focus on hockey.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

He has only had that season in this team. There is likely a market for him over 3mil, but Joshua knows he is going to be better to stay with the Canucks at a lower AVV to prove his potential. I am thinking 2 Mil bridge deal, maybe 4 years? at that point he can get 6 or 7mil on any other team.

I think we'll be lucky if he signs for 2M even at 4 years... He will get good offers, and as you said at this stage in his career can he really afford to say no to a windfall? 

I of course hope you are right, as it would be a massive win, if we could keep the 3rd line united (although unlikely).

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely its a gamble, like with all big contracts... especially with Petey having a bit of a funk just now... 

But, he is getting into his prime years... Benning (yes him nobody likes) said you win with 28-33 years old players... 

Miller hit his top form in that period, as did the Sedins and Kessler, Bertuzzi, Nazzy etc etc.... so it's fair to hope we haven't even seen the best of Petey yet, and that he is going to be even better as he grows older...

Anyway here's hoping 🙂

Broken clocks n stuff. I completely agree we are entering our window Miller and Huggy contracts more than compensate for OEL penalty wish we had a bigger push from the farm I'm still not sold on Lex but I'm coming around and boy oh boy do I want him and Willy to hit big since there won't be much else pushng the needle in the pipeline for a while. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

It's only equivilent if he retires in 7 years. who knows maybe at 32 he signs a short term 3 years at 10m is it equivelant then? I realise I'm just being argumentative. 

All things being equal ofcourse. 

No because after the 8 years he can sign anywhere else again. 

all you can compare is his next contract 

we can offer 8 years 

anyone else can only offer 7 

what he does after that has no impact as it’s the same wherever he is 

no one is offering him 8 mil at 33 years old 

Edited by Bardown

18 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

OK so what’s your prediction for next game is Petey going to play like a god and get a bunch of points?

your thoughts…

Wait What Reaction GIF

Shows up at the Ducks with Kessel to his left and Hogs to his right, 10 point night.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Bardown said:

No because after the 8 years he can sign anywhere else again. 

all you can compare is his next contract 

we can offer 8 years 

anyone else can only offer 7 

what he does after that has no impact as it’s the same wherever he is 

no one is offering him 8 mil at 33 years old 

But but but the cap is rising 100+ cha cha cha Sedins signed for 7m at that age am I doing this right cff? 

regardless of the fact that of course he isn't retiring at 32 and you haven't factored into your hypothetical whatever that theoretical contract would look like speculatively in concocted anecdotes.

I think  the only real push back I would give you is that teams get stale. We probaly shouldnt try to sign everyone for life. I think we are discussing a few hundred K. I would like to get Hronek at 7.8m for 5 years. If the entire core is on long term deals we can probably fire our GM and just run the team on sim mode. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Youre talking about a difference in 6% rise in cap between 2022 and next year. For Mak this would be an increase. of 756k also you're assuming that cap increases were not factored into Maks negotiations like the cap was just going to stay flat forever?

I didn't say they expected the cap to stay flat forever, but at the time Mac signed his deal there was absolutely no indication on if/when the cap would start increasing significantly, so signing him at 15ish% for that cap made perfect sense. Mac was also 28 when his new deal kicked in, Petey is 25 when his new deal kicks in so that needs to be taken into account as you are "buying" more prime years.

Mackinnon is at 1.12 PPG for his career, Petey is at 1.03 PPG. At the age of 25, if you remove Mackinnon's 18 & 19 year and start at his age 20 year, the same age Petey started playing in the NHL, Mack's PPG between Age 20-25 was 1.07. 1.07 PPG is not that much more than Petey's current 1.03. Mackinnon has taken off in the last couple of years.

We can expect Petey to get even better as he matures, just like most stars do, and just like Mackinnon did.

23 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

bwahahaha I forget who said that was it you on bains that i called out. Good times. Man I hope Peter pops off now that he can put this saga behind him and focus on hockey.  

Tripping Area 51 GIF by PHAZED
…..and unleash the full force of his alien powers… 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Reason why Petey isn't the captain?

This interview really drives that home. He seems nervous as hell. Cannot imagine him getting up in front of media night in night out. So glad they went with Hughes. Also as this signing sinks in with me, I’m really happy about it. I think my hesitancy about signing Petey long term was more that I wasn’t sure about his commitment, due to his demeanor. This interview just kind of made me realize he really seems to be an introvert, and just wants to keep to himself and not be in the spotlight. Who was it saying he was an Egomaniac and wanted worldwide, Messi like fame? Lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

your thoughts…

Wait What Reaction GIF

My thoughts.   Great movie.   Why does Nicholson do crazy so well.   We can wait a couple years, and find out how nuts this deal is. 

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1