[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

47 minutes ago, Bardown said:

people called Bo a “playoff performer”, yet Petey well outplayed him in the same run. 

I don’t know if Bo is a playoff performer based on last year but in the bubble he was nuts. Was still second in the entire playoffs in goals. I don’t think Petey was “better” but that’s not to say Petey didn’t have a great playoffs too. That and he was MVP of the SHL playoffs and won.

There is literally zero evidence that Petey won’t perform in the playoffs. Anyone saying otherwise has nothing to back their story. They are the type of people that just want to be right about things so they will jump on any opportunity that comes up. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

I don’t know if Bo is a playoff performer based on last year but in the bubble he was nuts. Was still second in the entire playoffs in goals. I don’t think Petey was “better” but that’s not to say Petey didn’t have a great playoffs too. That and he was MVP of the SHL playoffs and won.

There is literally zero evidence that Petey won’t perform in the playoffs. Anyone saying otherwise has nothing to back their story. They are the type of people that just want to be right about things so they will jump on any opportunity that comes up. 

Well Bo had 12 pts in 17 games and people wouldn’t stop talking about him 

Petey had 18 pts in those same 17 games 

Edited by Bardown

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

For sure. Bo just had 10 goals and was pretty clutch. Both were great.

37 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Without going through the whole thread, What was Carolina's proposed trade?

30 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Necas, Kotkaniemi and a pick. Not sure if it was a first or second. 

After the contract was locked up to such a sweet deal, now Carolina is adding Aho as well

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Those calling Pettersson “soft”.

He literally has 97 hits in 62 games, will likely finish between 125-130, which is top 50 in the LEAGUE.

Last season he had 88 hits.

Edited by Odd.
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

Crosby was always strong on his skates but I agree with your point. I honestly wonder if he’s training wrong. Balance in hockey is all about your leg strength and  core. Maybe he needs to focus harder in those areas. He has always been slight and has a high center of gravity so that doesn’t help, but it’s possible to get stronger on those areas and hopefully this offseason he will. 

Well tbh Gretzky was the same way.......lol

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Why are you so determined that Rutherford issued an ultimatum when the GM, the player and the agent all said how pleased they were with the deal and how it came about? Don't discount the agent, who helped Petey understand that the team needed some indication about Petey's intent before the deadline. Not every negotiation is an armed battle. In this case, both parties were able to QUICKLY agree on a deal that makes everybody happy. I seriously doubt any kind of ultimatum was offerred.

If you are claiming this report is false then you're query should be forwarded to Friedman...

SAccording to multiple sources, the Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes had discussions about Elias Pettersson that advanced to a stage where both the Canucks and the player needed to make serious decisions about where their relationship was headed.

The Canucks ultimately decided in favour of another attempt at extending Pettersson, and he, facing the possibility Vancouver could move him, allowed agents Pat Brisson and JP Barry to resume negotiations. Previously, the talented forward indicated he preferred to wait until after the season.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/latest-news/vancouver-canucks-elias-pettersson-carolina-hurricanes-trade

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If you are claiming this report is false then you're query should be forwarded to Friedman, not me..

S

According to multiple sources, the Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes had discussions about Elias Pettersson that advanced to a stage where both the Canucks and the player needed to make serious decisions about where their relationship was headed.

The Canucks ultimately decided in favour of another attempt at extending Pettersson, and he, facing the possibility Vancouver could move him, allowed agents Pat Brisson and JP Barry to resume negotiations. Previously, the talented forward indicated he preferred to wait until after the season.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/latest-news/vancouver-canucks-elias-pettersson-carolina-hurricanes-trade

Your theory is sound. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

If you are claiming this report is false then you're query should be forwarded to Friedman...

SAccording to multiple sources, the Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes had discussions about Elias Pettersson that advanced to a stage where both the Canucks and the player needed to make serious decisions about where their relationship was headed.

I stand corrected. I guess.

12 hours ago, The Duke said:

The idea of these 8 year deals is that it’s a little steep today, but quickly becomes a bargain as the cap raises. 

The fact Petey took a haircut into the “fair” zone of about 11.5 where I had him is huge. Often these seem an overpay early on - and I’d say 11.6 would have been fine as a 4-5 year deal.  The fact we have him locked up through his entire Prime and likely not declining much/at all until 33. is amazing work. It looks good today and will look better as time passes. 

Only the weirdos who were myopic about the last 2-3 weeks and thought he’s worth 10 mil or whatever could be upset about this.  It’s great work by both sides.

Good call Duke...

Lets not forget its good work by JR/PA to have the face of the franchise (or one of them) signed up for the next 8 years... Gives us a lot of stability for the future...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Not sure why people say he took less to stay. He’s on pace for the same amount of points as Huberdeau got when he signed his extension with Calgary and a lot of people thought that was an overpayment. In time, it’s a great deal if he continues his production, as the cap rises, but right now he got paid the market value. 

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

JR obviously wanted clarity prior to the deadline.  He wasn’t about to have a 25 year old kid bully him into making a bad decision for this franchise. Waiting until the summer would have been devastating for the club, as it would have put Allvin in a similar situation as Calgary, whereby if Petey decided he didn’t want to re-sign then Allvin would have been forced to trade him, which would have lowered his value.

Kudos to JR/PA for calling Petey’s bluff, which Petey actually jokingly admitted to in the press conference.  It was all a negotiating tactic by Petey.  JR called his bluff, threatened to trade him and then leaked it to the media.  JR isn’t in the hall of fame for nothing.  

We are in good hands in Vancouver that is for sure.  We got Miller and now Petey on long term deals at below market value.  Now Allvin has to work on Hronek and Boeser.  Both will need to be re-signed in the summer or else traded.  Allvin isn’t going into next season with Boeser as a pending UFA…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR obviously wanted clarity prior to the deadline.  He wasn’t about to have a 25 year old kid bully him into making a bad decision for this franchise. Waiting until the summer would have been devastating for the club, as it would have put Allvin in a similar situation as Calgary, whereby if Petey decided he didn’t want to re-sign then Allvin would have been forced to trade him, which would have lowered his value.

Kudos to JR/PA for calling Petey’s bluff, which Petey actually jokingly admitted to in the press conference.  It was all a negotiating tactic by Petey.  JR called his bluff, threatened to trade him and then leaked it to the media.  JR isn’t in the hall of fame for nothing.  

We are in good hands in Vancouver that is for sure.  We got Miller and now Petey on long term deals at below market value.  Now Allvin has to work on Hronek and Boeser.  Both will need to be re-signed in the summer or else traded.  Allvin isn’t going into next season with Boeser as a pending UFA…

Who knows what might happen in the off season.

So far our group of management has done well, let's hope they keep it up.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bardown said:

I remember that. Petey was a beast. 

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can see Brock giving the Canucks a hometown discount to remain a Canuck. But I can't see him getting 8 or more. Maybe he wants to go home to Minnesota? I can see Hronek getting traded if management can't agree to a deal. 

Allvin has a really busy summer ahead of him. If Brock isn't signed by the summer, does he get traded before training camp? 

JR has some huge balls to call Petey's bluff like that. I guess the man isn't afraid of anything. Worse case scenario is he trades Petey for a haul coming back. But that alternative timeline would have sucked. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Joshrips said:

I'm disappointed we signed him but I think he's a good kid and I hope he does great.

This doesn't make any sense. You're disappointed because the Canucks were able to sign their franchise player to a max deal? 

4 hours ago, Bardown said:

Crosby was always strong on his skates but I agree with your point. I honestly wonder if he’s training wrong. Balance in hockey is all about your leg strength and  core. Maybe he needs to focus harder in those areas. He has always been slight and has a high center of gravity so that doesn’t help, but it’s possible to get stronger on those areas and hopefully this offseason he will. 

The first couple years Crosby was falling and flopping quite a bit, it took him time to develop that leg strength.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Gives us a lot of stability for the future

Something this franchise did not have for close to 10 years under Benning...

This is refreshing, and the future is looking brighter. I mean, it hasn't even been that long. This time last year, things were a mess and the future uncertain. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The first couple years Crosby was falling and flopping quite a bit, it took him time to develop that leg strength.

Yes at 18 and 19.   By 20 he was keeping up to Datsyuk.