[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

He is not worth more than M. Tkachuck, David Pastrnak, Alex Barkov… etc 

what do you mean this is good deal??  Weird 

How the heck are we going to sign other good players or keep the good players 

Edited by occ78
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I remember that. Petey was a beast. 

EP got his points in the playoffs, but a "beast" isn't the correct term.    Like Toffoli and Pearson,  wilted against Vegas.   The only guy who seemed to be able skate with the puck and get the puck back in our forward group, with any regularity, was Tyler Motte.   Wasn't great with it, but actually wasn't playing hot potatoe (to avoid getting hit) and first to run back to the safety of the 5 man box. 

First playoff games, MIN and St. Louis were encouraging.   But it was Horvat going to to toe with O'Reilly's  (that was more like  "a beast" ... but not sure id go there, was a great series for Horvat though) line.    The Lotto Line, it had mixed results.    EP didn't disappoint at all given his age.    Wouldn't call him a beast though.   Alien works.  Wasn't Kesler/NSH.   Horvat's play had a greater impact or at least equal.    Another guy who wilted.   Wonder who's going to face Eichel and Stone?   My guess it will be Miller.    Same as Mckinnon and McDavid if we get the chance.   My bet is Miller and Brock get those guys for awhile yet.    Which is absolutely fine, good luck with EP 5 x 5 then.  

Edit:  It took the Sedins years though.  The WCE era, plus some.   EPs first 17 games were mostly encouraging.   Vegas was 90% Demko.    At least Tuch and Patches are gone.     

To me EP has game breaking ability, possibly series breaking too.    First crack, was very encouraging.   Same with QHs. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

EP got his points in the playoffs, but a "beast" isn't the correct term.    Like Toffoli and Pearson,  wilted against Vegas.   The only guy who seemed to be able skate with the puck and get the puck back in our forward group, with any regularity, was Tyler Motte.   Wasn't great with it, but actually wasn't playing hot potatoe (to avoid getting hit) and first to run back to the safety of the 5 man box. 

First playoff games, MIN and St. Louis were encouraging.   But it was Horvat going to to toe with O'Reilly's  (that was more like  "a beast" ... but not sure id go there, was a great series for Horvat though) line.    The Lotto Line, it had mixed results.    EP didn't disappoint at all given his age.    Wouldn't call him a beast though.   Alien works.  Wasn't Kesler/NSH.   Horvat's play had a greater impact or at least equal.    Another guy who wilted.   Wonder who's going to face Eichel and Stone?   My guess it will be Miller.    Same as Mckinnon and McDavid if we get the chance. 

Beast in the sense that he produced offensively in the playoffs. 18 points in 17 games is nothing to laugh at. Horvat had flashes for sure (like that end to end goal against St. Louis). Who's going to face Eichel and Stone? Well, it's going to be our best players right - if I was a betting man, it's probably going to be Miller and Pettersson. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, occ78 said:

Alright, well...

Do you think he is not worth that much?  Or were you just expecting him to take a massive pay cut?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, occ78 said:

It's a good deal because he's a very good player. We got him for 8 years at just a little below market value. 

You're asking about how we're going to sign other good players or keep the good players, when we just signed a very good player, but then you're complaining about the Canucks signing a very good player? 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Beast in the sense that he produced offensively in the playoffs. 18 points in 17 games is nothing to laugh at. Horvat had flashes for sure (like that end to end goal against St. Louis). Who's going to face Eichel and Stone? Well, it's going to be our best players right - if I was a betting man, it's probably going to be Miller and Pettersson. 

For sure.    The only guys I remember, coming in hot that young (including QHs in this), were Linden and Bure.     Linden was 18 I think in 1989.   Ronning to a degree too.   He similar in age to what Horvat was to EP/QHs.    Horvat was also one of our best forwards against CAL his rookie year.    What's EP going to be capable now at 25?    More.   He's a better player.    And QHs.    This team, has a chance now the entirety of QHs and Demko's current deal.    That's great news. 

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Alright, well...

Do you think he is not worth that much?  Or were you just expecting him to take a massive pay cut?

He's not adding the 5% for cap going up, or considering the fact he's taking home around the same money as MT and Barkov.   Cap going up 5%, that's 550k on Barkov's deal.   Also not using guys like Panarin for a comp either, so cherry picking contracts.    12 would have been too much IMO.   This is within the range that's fair.   Less than 11 would have been leaving a lot on the table.    Wait for two years and see what guys are making then.    Bet they will be using EP as "look at how much less EP is getting" in the same way this is getting pointed out.    

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Something this franchise did not have for close to 10 years under Benning...

This is refreshing, and the future is looking brighter. I mean, it hasn't even been that long. This time last year, things were a mess and the future uncertain. 

Absolutely... 

Its been an amazing turn around by JR/PA... don't think even the biggest homers could have foreseen them puling this off...

I also believe the players themselves feel something is brewing... where it leads to is anybody's guess, but definitely made it a much better place to be .

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Hammertime said:

100%

I absolutely understand the potential is there i'm a huge fan of Pete and I can go back on CDC to the draft and quote myself he was my #1 pick at our spot. Mittlestadt was my runner up. Potential is a double edge sword though. I'll point to Pete Mittlestadt or Hughes Boqvist. It's one thing with picks if they don't pan out that sucks too bad. 8 year contracts are different. If Pete looks like he has the month of febraury that's a decade of darkages for our franchise. Obvoiusly I'm not that short sighted I'm just illustrating my point. He's 25 I feel 11.6 is fair for the player he has proved to be today. Of course I'm optomistic that now that he's put pen to paper he blossoms like the sedins did at 26.  

Glass or Valardi for me, although it wasn't as much of a shock as the OJ pick, EPs draft was quite underwhelming compared to recent ones.  

Makar, Heiskenan, they weren't even in their own tier by themselves.. No high end number ones and two's, and there wasn't three tiers, it was all Nolan Patrick, but not by much, until the WJs, then media has a 1-2 thing to chew on, but still The next group of players, right to 12, were considered the next tier.   EP wasn't on the media's radar.   149lb kid, ripping up the SHL, the playoffs added some intrigue, but even then not enough to even get into the top five discussions.    The most intrigue that draft year, was Mittlestadt's inability, to do one freaking pull-up.    His technique was terrible though, don't think he had a an idea  how to do one, because he'd never tried before. 

There were some clues available.   But not many.    Of the top ten, only NYR's admitted to have some interest in him.   The rest admitted that he wasn't on their list.    Ranked around 9, that said,  the order was definitely fluid.   Came down to organizational needs.   Makar and Heiskenan, they were that drafts clear cut top defenseman.     EP was primarily a LW.   Had height, but man 149-152lbs definitely had "he's not coming over anytime soon" vibes all over it.   Some of the clues were "if he was 30lbs heavier, might be challenging for a top 3 spot".

Or "his size is a concern, but he might be the most skilled player in this years draft".     Pretty much all his reviews, can with a "but" in them.   Made the pick  palatable, despite being off board.    Bet you wouldn't find many other posters, pre-draft, even mentioning him let alone pumping his tires and wanting us to pick him.    At least with QHs, there was a ton of discussion over which defenseman we should pick at 7.   That draft was pretty clear cut, Dahlin, then a tier to Zadina (top 4).   The only guy who experts thought might slip, and if he did maybe we'd get a shot at him, was Brady Tckchuk.     QHs wasn't a given at 7 that's for sure.   Boqvist going next, shows where the league has trended, over RHD's Dobson and Bouchard, both guys with size and offensive gifts as well.     EDM didn't even have a Bouchard shirt, they thought he'd be long gone by then. 

EP was JB's best decisions, were to trade for JT Miller, and to draft EP instead of Glass.     By the time he's done his next contract, wouldn't  bet against him averaging 90 or so a year and 30 goals at least.    Enough to pass Hank.   And still 3-5 years or hockey left in him if his body holds out.    For the next 9 years, he's also got a shot at breaking Lindens playoff records.    Having EP locked in, gives us a longer window.   It's possible, that this team is entering a new phase.    Sure hope so.   

Now that this is done, watch him go on a bit of a heater.       Good job for figuring out he was the BPA.    Of all the JB drafts, that one was the trickiest IMO.    It was considered garden variety ... no big hype like we saw with Dahlin, Mathews and McDavid. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Right that's what I looked at since the difference in take home was 1.396m between the 2 cities I just kinda halfed it as they'll only play half the games at home and so will we. obviously that's not very precice but I figured it was at least ball park. 

Just goes to show, what I know... I bow before you 🙂

Anyone who was expecting or thinking Pettersson would take anything under 11, let alone 10, was setting themselves up for disappointment and just looking for anything to bitch and moan about. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

This is great news! And a good signing for the Canucks as it is under market value for Petey, he left some money on the table. Roughly $400k-$1m per year.

Everyone comparing him to Mackinnon and his $12.6m a year are doing it wrong. You can't compare cap hit, you have to compare cap % on when the deal was signed.

Mackinnon signed his deal in Sept 2022, the cap was $82.5m, when he signed he signed at a cap hit % of 15.3%. When his new contract kicked in(this year) the cap is at 83.5m, for a cap hit of 15.09%. This was signed during the dead cap era, and no raises in cap could be estimated and was not expected to raise significantly, if at all.

Petey signed to day for 11.6m with the cap at 83.5m for a current cap % of 13.89%. The cap is expected to rise to around 87.7m next year, and this is when Petey's cap hit comes into play, putting his cap % at 13.22% if the cap raises to the estimated value. I am sure this contract was taking into account the cap is expected to raise significantly starting next year.

If Mac signed his contract, at his cap hit of 15.3% today, taking into account the raising cap, then he would have gotten roughly $13.4m, so nearly $2m more than what Petey got.

Good call GB30

ppl complaining about how he's not worth more than this guy and that guy doesn't understand how the cap in nhl works.. cap goes up? player salary goes up.. not cap goes up player salary stay the same and we get to sign more players.. it's always been that way.. minimum wage have gone up.. well so have everything else like rent and food gas etc.. because minimum wage went up did it feel like you have more money to spend than before?? no? 

matthew tkachuk is a winger with florida tax which is almost equivalent to 12mil in vancouver. barkov is probably a closer comp as hes better defensively.. but the guy have never touched 100 point in his career and he certainly ain't touching it either this year.. again he have the florida tax advantage.. playing in canada sucks and if the CRA wins against tavares good luck getting any future star player to sign in Canada for below market or even market price.. almost no one will sign in Canada if the CRA wins if the bonus is also going to get taxed to hell.. if the cra wins.. you bet your ass they'll be going after all the other non canadian star nhler in canada.. so be happy we actually managed to sign one.. if the CRA wins.. getting hughes to a market value contract would become a lot harder since he's prolly going to lose anywhere from 5-10mil taxes on bonus on top of the tax on his salary.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, occ78 said:

Guess what.   All those guys are taking home more money than EP is.   Even at 11.6.   EP takes home around 5.5.  What do you think MT takes home?   Barkov takes home quite a bit more.   Even at 1.1 less cap hit.   Welcome to reality.    And yes he is worth more, because cap went up 5%.    His starting cap hit looks worse then it is, because capfriendly ranks it based on the season it was signed.    His starting cap hit, based on 88.5 (about where the cap is expected to go up to) is 13.1%.     

That's not too shabby.   Look at it this way.   The Sedins signed a 5 year deal, during a world wide financial crisis, 09-10 at 10.74%.   That was their first UFA deal, after bridges.   Henrik turned 29, and had his boffo 112 year season.  

What do you predict the cap will be over the next four years?.   The league's revenues are consistent.   They grow.   5% a year is attainable, heck you can get that in a GIC these days.    So let's just do 5% per year. 

1. 88

3. 97.02

8. 122.84 

Pick any year.   Let's do number four, because that's when EPs turning 29, and then 30, Hanks and then Daniel's best seasons.    Also 2009-2010, was the start of Hanks new deal, his 5 year UFA one, during a flat cap world (financial- world wide, because of the US crisis).     His cap hit is 11.397%, at 29.  At 30 is 10.84%... virtually identical, to Daniel Sedins cap hit at the same age.   

His final year.   At age 32-33.  EPs cap hit,  would be 9.44%.    FYI, the Sedins last four year deal, started at 10.89% each.    

Of course growth won't be consistent, that said, even when there was a world wide crisis, the NHL managed just fine.    Their growth has been remarkably consistent.   It's why we were given two free buyouts and there was a mini stand off after the dust settled in the US and the world after 2008-2009.   MG used his on Booth and Ballard.    Point is, the NHL even without expansion, will continue to charge more, and revenues will grow above the inflation index.   It has since the cap came in anyways. 

Edit: A starting cap hit, at 13.8ish% in 2032, will be 17 million.    EPs deal will look amazing the second half of his contract.   Expect QHs to sign for 14-15 million when his deal is up.   That's based on the above model, and if he keeps it up.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Only if 100% of the games are played at home. it's more like 700k somewhere close. 

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

Doesn't work that way.  If he spends more than 50% of his time in Canada, he'll be taxed for all of it in Canada.  

12 hours ago, Hammertime said:

The taxes are paid based on the state/prov the game is played in. 

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

No it's not.  If you are deemed to be a Canadian resident, you'll be taxed on all worldwide income on your Canadian tax return.  There's a US tax treaty that helps with double taxation though.  But bottomline, players in Vancouver will get taxed much more than those in Colorado. 

Pop Corn GIF by Alexander IRL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, occ78 said:

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• ThereItIs 2

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

And our dollar is at 73 cents to the IS dollar. Guys get paid in US dollars. So multiply 11.6 x .23 and add. Petey is collecting 11.6 + 2.7 exchange. That’s over 14 mil per. Better take home than down south. Plus way less likely to get shot.

Alf the US dollar thing doesn't matter.   Every player gets paid in US dollars.  Almost half the league is still Canadian.   A lot living in the US.  during their playing days - owning property in Canada, virtually every regular NHLer, same with AHLers.    Know that the Courtnalls, Benn's and Barrie's own property's all over Vancouver Island.  Barrie's Dad was the key player in Bear MT, a 10k housing development in the 2000's.    

It's their take home pay, after agent fees and taxes, that matter when it comes to this.   The markets you live in maybe to a degree (principal residence to avoid capital gains when you sell etc) matter a little.    Vancouver is expensive, so is San Fransico, New York City and parts of MTL and TO, where these guys might want to live.     Exchange rate is mute, all these guys get paid in US dollars.    A house in Vancouver compared to day Detroit, Buffalo ... Raliegh.    The city for sure has a lot of appeal then say PIT or PHI (WNP and EDM go without saying).  Weather .. maybe somewhere in the middle, depends what you like.     They don't earn more living in Vancouver.   They earn a lot less.   MT makes about the same as EP does.   That's how taxes work.    Both guys can spend it how they choose to. 

20 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Petey is 100% worth more than Nylander, the fact he signed for only a little more is a huge win.

But no way he's worth within 1m of what Mackinnon is worth. From that perspective, it's a loss.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

But no way he's worth within 1m of what Mackinnon is worth. From that perspective, it's a loss.

By this logic if you compare every defenceman to our likely Norris trophy winner Hughes on 7M, every other defenceman is trash. Thing is these deals all get made at different points in the player's careers and at different ages, and different moments in cap and team history so it's quite hard to compare.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Hughes deal is not too bad neither... just saying.

If this is about JB..staggering these two, worked out great.   Look at how great.    Remember how much trouble NSH had with Suter and Weber.   MIN with Parise and Suter after ...  Dallas with Benn and Seguin (took half a decade for that to pay big dividends)....Toews and Kane.   As soon as the ink dried, they were toast.    Markstrom verus Demko.    Not every deal and decision JB was bad.   Like MG, the team was already made.   Allvin has done a remarkable job of bringing in the right head coach (and Tochett his staff), and being a finisher.   Faster than MG really.  So far anyways. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you, now can you tell everyone else that.

I mean, that is exactly what I have always thought. My opinion is that only one that should matter,

I dont do twitter...plus I was wondering about CFF. How are we, the most important Canucks fans, feeling?

Between good and pumped... Yet to see a real negative post on here, and I spent hours going through them... however expect them to raise their heads as soon as Petey has a stinker....

• Cheers 2