[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The stats?! What stats? Just the last 25 games? If the last 25 games stats you have provided are more important to you then the multitude of different stats I have been able to provide to disprove everything you have said then your definitely right about that last part. 

Last 25 games, lol. Did you just start watching the team after the all-star break or something?

Oh dont worry, Ill tally up the last 8 games of the season and playoffs for you too since you seem to have trouble with that. 

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Oh dont worry, Ill tally up the last 8 games of the season and playoffs for you too since you seem to have trouble with that. 

On pace for 93 points, still leads the centers in defensive metrics, most points in the first 400 games as Canuck since Bure.

bUT lAst 25 GaMeS

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

On pace for 93 points, still leads the centers in defensive metrics, most points in the first 400 games as Canuck since Bure.

bUT lAst 25 GaMeS

Guess when they bounced in the 1st round, we can be happy because he has a calder too right?

2 hours ago, Robinfood said:

We rushed signing kuzmenko and overpaid him. Have done the same with Petey. Unrecognizable. 

The Kuzy signing was actually really solid. It was only 2 years. And it was movable. As we've seen in the fact we've moved it. Letting a 39 goal scorer walk would have been a bit of a head scratcher. Is that what you preferred?

Petey signing isn't so bad. I was expecting 12.5mil and 4 or 5 years. We got more term and it cost less per. I have my issues with his physicality, but the dude even on a down year is over a point per game. We have 1 true top 6 winger. And he doesn't play with Petey regularly. Like, some of us are acting like Petey is playing like Huberdeau. The dude needs to be more noticeable, yes. But his contract is not a problem. If he ever decides to hit the weights this contract will be a major steal. Dude has top 3 player in the league potential. Just needs to get a man body to unlock that potential. But on the low side, he's a 90-100 point guy. Imagine that being your floor. Lol.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Not sure why people thinks he is so good? He doesn’t play anything close to players earning 11+ m 

Miller is better deal at 8m and plays aggressive and more impactful game than Pettersson at 11.6m 

Not sure why they are putting 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser together 

Edited by occ78
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, occ78 said:

Not sure why people thinks he is so good? He doesn’t play anything close to players earning 11+ m 

Miller is better deal at 8m and plays aggressive and more impactful game than Pettersson at 11.6m 

Not sure why they are putting 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser together 

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The Kuzy signing was actually really solid. It was only 2 years. And it was movable. As we've seen in the fact we've moved it. Letting a 39 goal scorer walk would have been a bit of a head scratcher. Is that what you preferred?

Petey signing isn't so bad. I was expecting 12.5mil and 4 or 5 years. We got more term and it cost less per. I have my issues with his physicality, but the dude even on a down year is over a point per game. We have 1 true top 6 winger. And he doesn't play with Petey regularly. Like, some of us are acting like Petey is playing like Huberdeau. The dude needs to be more noticeable, yes. But his contract is not a problem. If he ever decides to hit the weights this contract will be a major steal. Dude has top 3 player in the league potential. Just needs to get a man body to unlock that potential. But on the low side, he's a 90-100 point guy. Imagine that being your floor. Lol.

Generally agree with this.

We're all criticizing his play (and rightfully so), but he's over a point per game over the season. That's a pretty good "floor" to have. Makes me wonder what the ceiling is. 

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Generally agree with this.

We're all criticizing his play (and rightfully so), but he's over a point per game over the season. That's a pretty good "floor" to have. Makes me wonder what the ceiling is. 

I think the problem is he scores in bunches. He has 8 points in his last 10 games. Looks good on paper right? But those 8 points came in 4 games. So he’s been pointless in 6 of the last 10 games. The problem with him is consistency. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I think the problem is he scores in bunches. He has 8 points in his last 10 games. Looks good on paper right? But those 8 points came in 4 games. So he’s been pointless in 6 of the last 10 games. The problem with him is consistency. 

It's actually a bit worse than that.  6 points in his last 10.  5 of those 6 came in 2 games -- Buffalo and Calgary.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Can't agree more. Petey's point totals do not match the eye test. We need him to be more consistent and making an impact on games. Hopefully getting rocked last night was a wake-up call for him. 

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Interesting - when compared to other stars first 400 games.

EP.jpg

Wait... So you're telling me he's actually extremely good and not a second line center?!

Shocked, I'm shocked...

🙃

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AlexanderM said:

All he has to do is get going again and this all fades away. That said, they needed one more top 6 winger, they didn't bring one in and it shows. 

They tried to bring in a top 6 player, but sadly it seems Lindholm came broken out of the box. And with no warranty. Hopefully by the time playoffs roll around he's as close to 100% as possible.

Everyone ripping into Pettersson needs to take a step a back and look at

1. Whos on his line

2. Take into account his less favorable o-zone starts

3. Bouncing back and forth a bit between C and W

and

5. Not having a consistent line. 

JT Miller for example is basically stapled to Brock Boeser, they have well over 900min TOI together this season. Brock Boeser is his highest point producing ES line mate with 47 points while on a line together. 

Pettersson on the other hand has had a blender of line-mates, his highest line-mate TOI is Mikheyev at around 400min TOI together. Mikheyev has struggled ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SEASONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

However, to Mikheyev's credit, he does look to be coming around now. He's looked faster and been getting more chances, still has hands of stone but nonetheless he's getting opportunities that will eventually be converted on.

Pettersson's highest point producing linemate is... Mikheyev......with 18 points. Want to know who is second? Andrei long gone Kuzmenko with 15 points. This right here says a lot, it says that there is a constant rotation of subpar wingers because that is very little production coming out of Mik and Kuz. 

In 127:41min TOI the lotto line put up 13G. The same amount of goal production as Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev at 181:58min TOI.

Now to add to his struggling linemates which are what is brining him down, is the back and forth C to W we see from time to time. 

2022-23 Pettersson played C and was basically stapled there, his production was incredible, because there was consistency. 

He has hardly had time to gel and identify tendencies and build chemistry with anyone this season, the ones he is learning to connect with are guys like Mikheyev who are struggling immensely. Now take that 60-75% favorable offensive zone start and drop that down to 52-53% add in struggling line-mates, switch from C to W occasionally and you'll find it very hard to produce at 5v5 or ES. Nonetheless Pettersson is still having a positive impact defensively on the ice. If you look at last season, Pettersson had Kuzmenko stapled to his nuts for 700+ min TOI. That's nearly twice as much as his current most "consistent" line-mate. 

Pettersson needs a consistent line, he needs quality linemates and he needs guys who can help themselves a bit, not have to rely on help and still not be able to score or contribute offensively. The lotto line is the best line, it is irritating that it is not being utilized. Once Lindholm is back, I personally feel our best foot forward is the Lotto line, followed by a hardnosed hard working line of Mikheyev, Lindholm and Hoglander, then the Garland Bleuger Joshua line and then Podz, Suter X. This would give us a true offensive 1st line, a shutdown 2nd line with speed and capability of scoring, possession and nonstop havoc 3rd line that scores better than any 3rd line in the league and then another hardworking defensively minded 4th line. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I look at it as we're currently getting a 30+ goal 85+ point centre for $7.35M right now.  I'll worry about next year when it happens.  As of this moment, we're getting solid value out of Petey's current cap hit.

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Wait... So you're telling me he's actually extremely good and not a second line center?!

Shocked, I'm shocked...

🙃

The way i look at it is this...

1. In the whole history of the team he has outproduced every player we have ever had from the time he was drafted to 25 years old - other than Bure.  

2. As the spreadsheet shows hes also outproduced a large number of current stars in their first 400 games.

3. Specifically this year - in January he was one of the three stars in the NHL - thats only like 2-3 months ago.  He was amazing on that eastern road trip.

4. Like many players 25 and under he may have consistency issues here and there.  No different than what Miller went through at 25 or historically great players like the Sedins.

So in light of all this (im not even bringing up Calder) I am willing to give the player some rope as he has built up enough credit with me - as a fan- so that i dont have the dagger out every GDT slamming the kid.  We dont know if hes injured, going through something mental, or if he is in a rough stretch.  He has done enough good things that im willing to support him through this rough stretch.

Also, in light of his performance from draft year up till the time the contract was signed I dont think his contract is out of order or out of the ball park for what he has accomplished.  He starts earning this money next year.

• Cheers 1

I don’t have any problem with people saying he hasn’t been great lately or he’s kinda streaky.  Whatever.  

But trying to take that into saying this is going to be a bad contract, when he’s a 25 year old career PPG+ player is quite the stretch. Much more likely that he goes down as the all time best player (or “just” all time best forward, depending on Hughes) in franchise history. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1