[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

JT Miller was extremely happy to sign an 8 year, $56M contract. I don't think he cares if Petey makes more money. Also, I've mentioned this repeatedly, but Petey's actual salary for 2023-2024 is $10.25M and JT's is $8M. So technically Petey is already making more than JT and it hasn't seemed to bother Miller at all.

Plus EP is a lot younger so Canucks are buying EP's prime years as opposed to Miller who more than likely will regress in years 5 through 8 - although, given his heart and diverse skill set, he could end up being very effective in those years as well 🤞

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Catman said:

I get you but how to compare or to gamble on prime/recent production or expectations?

Been a huge EP fan up until lately. But it's been a tough stretch cause he's so streaky. 

you don't that's why they are not comparable you can only base on trajectory. Miller starting to hit his prime when he's 27-28 and continuing on. he was no where close to the player EP is right now at the same age. miller had 58 points followed up with 47 at the same age as EP this season ep would likely end up with back to back 100 points season.. and hopefully will continue to improve into his prime like most player and miller did at age 26-30. we'll prolly continue to see EP being streaky until they get him a decent linemate to play with.. i don't care if he's suppose to make player around him better.. there's only so much a player can do to make a player better.. mikheyev career high is 32 points... if EP had a good linemate.. then we can make an arguement he can prolly make the 2nd linemate better.. but atm the fan expectation is he's suppose to carry 2 players and make them better.. mikheyev outside of his speed and defensive ability shouldn't even be anywhere close to sniffing top 6 minutes.. that guy rely on his speed to deke goalies.. his shot is horrible

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSeater said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole. Petey at age 25 is on pace for his second consecutive 100+ point season. Let’s look at some historical Canucks greats.

Bertuzzi? Never hit 100.

Naslund and the Sedin twins? Once each in their careers. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say at the end of an 8 year deal (if true) Elias Pettersson will easily become the most prolific offensive player in Canucks history.

He has to stay healthy but we have a unique player here, and one that stays around the top 10 in league scoring even as we all feel like he’s a little off.

He is unique. Not a guy that will lead us to a cup in all likelihood. I would not pay him more than Miller, which means he would not sign here. I would be fine with that. My prediction is Alvin will overpay him because of Swedish loyalty. This will be the biggest mistake since gifting the Sedins their farewell and thank you contract, basically dooming us to mediocrity for the duration. If he signs for 8 million, it's a decent bet for the team, and leaves us with some cash to bulk up. He will be completely unmovable with a contract over 10 million.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

He's a star. And top 10 in scoring. Watch him pop off after the signing. He's clearly distracted from the speculation. Just get it over with and start going on a heater.

A star is not a superstar.

Canucks have played more games than most teams. He's 13th in points per game between Marner and Kaprizov.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, SilentSeater said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole. Petey at age 25 is on pace for his second consecutive 100+ point season. Let’s look at some historical Canucks greats.

Bertuzzi? Never hit 100.

Naslund and the Sedin twins? Once each in their careers. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say at the end of an 8 year deal (if true) Elias Pettersson will easily become the most prolific offensive player in Canucks history.

He has to stay healthy but we have a unique player here, and one that stays around the top 10 in league scoring even as we all feel like he’s a little off.

The leading points getter in 2003 was Peter Forsberg at 106 (Naslund 104).

In 2010, Henrik led with 112.

In 2011 Daniel led with 104.

In 2023, McDavid led with 153, while Draisaitl had 128.

This season, Kucherov has is on pace for 140.

100 pts is not what it used to be.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I would go after a cup in Vancouver . I'm still going to be filthy rich and in this market if we even got close I would have sponsorships and ad revenue for life. That would more than make up for the money left on the table. 

Go in front of the mirror and tell your self.I am lying.You would take like everybody here every dollar you can.He has like every player 10-12 years to earn good life to the end.What do we know what kind of life he want ?What kind of life he had.Training,diet no burgers,no night life.Nothing we all simple people enjoy.Till he is 35.Half a life.Cmon be serious.

53 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Pettersson is a superstar? He's the 13th leading scorer in points per game and is probably the 3rd or 4th most important player on his team.

Pettersson is a good player, but this "superstar" or "one of the best players in the league" stuff is such hyperbole.

Call it how you want.He is player every single team in NHL love and would bend over to get it

1 minute ago, Joshrips said:

If he signs for 8 million, it's a decent bet for the team, and leaves us with some cash to bulk up. He will be completely unmovable with a contract over 10 million.

With respect, get this one thought through your head: Pettersson is NOT signing for $8M. Whatever you think he is worth is irrelevant. He is worth whatever the Aquilinis are willing to commit, and they love Petey. They also know that Petey puts bums in seats and sells all kinds of merch and ridiculously expensive food and drink at games as well as being a selling point for to persuade corporate customers to spend big. More important, though, is that ownership and management see Petey's obsession with winning and they will pay dearly to keep it in Vancouver. 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I mean in terms of effective value on the ice, not how much they're actually paid.

If Miller was paid $1M would you make the argument that Petey shouldn't get more than $1M or would you consider maybe that Miller is on a steal of a deal?

All of them wanted GM fired after they gave Miller that deal.Old,will be bad bad for years.We should  trade him. They also forget at that time 8 mill was very very high pay.

Edited by Lemon Face

51 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

JT Miller was extremely happy to sign an 8 year, $56M contract. I don't think he cares if Petey makes more money. Also, I've mentioned this repeatedly, but Petey's actual salary for 2023-2024 is $10.25M and JT's is $8M. So technically Petey is already making more than JT and it hasn't seemed to bother Miller at all.

42 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Plus EP is a lot younger so Canucks are buying EP's prime years as opposed to Miller who more than likely will regress in years 5 through 8 - although, given his heart and diverse skill set, he could end up being very effective in those years as well 🤞

JT signed a 7 year deal...

Screenshot_20240228_235513_Chrome.jpg

23 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

The leading points getter in 2003 was Peter Forsberg at 106 (Naslund 104).

In 2010, Henrik led with 112.

In 2011 Daniel led with 104.

In 2023, McDavid led with 153, while Draisaitl had 128.

This season, Kucherov has is on pace for 140.

100 pts is not what it used to be.

Great point. Totally fair.

Nobody disputes McDavid is a generational player.

Personally I don’t put Petey in that category, but if you can call Boeser (two time NHL All Star) a star, it’s hard to argue Petey isn’t a cut above. Not trying to bash Brock.

I also can’t help but wonder what kind of numbers Petey would be putting up if he had the quality of linemates that Draisaitl or Kucherov benefit from.

The Canucks are much improved on the strength of their depth and a rebuilt defensive corps, but they aren’t as top heavy as some of the other top teams. I don’t put Petey top 5 in the league, but he’s likely the top forward on better than half the teams in the league. To me that’s superstar territory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSeater said:

Great point. Totally fair.

Nobody disputes McDavid is a generational player.

Personally I don’t put Petey in that category, but if you can call Boeser (two time NHL All Star) a star, it’s hard to argue Petey isn’t a cut above. Not trying to bash Brock.

I also can’t help but wonder what kind of numbers Petey would be putting up if he had the quality of linemates that Draisaitl or Kucherov benefit from.

The Canucks are much improved on the strength of their depth and a rebuilt defensive corps, but they aren’t as top heavy as some of the other top teams. I don’t put Petey top 5 in the league, but he’s likely the top forward on better than half the teams in the league. To me that’s superstar territory.

I wonder if we put Petey in a Tier where does he go

I guess in terms of Centers clearly it's McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl  and Matthews as either in the 1st or 2nd tier. 

Would he be in the same tier them or a slightly lower one? 

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Pettersson is a superstar? He's the 13th leading scorer in points per game and is probably the 3rd or 4th most important player on his team.

Pettersson is a good player, but this "superstar" or "one of the best players in the league" stuff is such hyperbole.

Well he is sitting in the top 1% of league scoring.

Sounds elite/superstar to me.

If he signed 8 years, $ 100 million ( 12.5m per ) that is high yes and may feel too high as a fan. Its not a comfortable number and makes you think he'd be taking too big a piece of the pie. But a rising cap and over 8 years would be a good deal. A contract that would age well as contracts would continue to go up around the league over those years.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Well he is sitting in the top 1% of league scoring.

Sounds elite/superstar to me.

If he signed 8 years, $ 100 million ( 12.5m per ) that is high yes and may feel too high as a fan. Its not a comfortable number and makes you think he'd be taking too big a piece of the pie. But a rising cap and over 8 years would be a good deal. A contract that would age well as contracts would continue to go up around the league over those years.

Actually 13th in pts per game puts him in the top 1.8%.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nope, maybe you just need to get older to understand.

There is a certain point where the number is just ego.  He will make something between $98-$112 million in career earnings if you take the low and the high ends of a range for his next contract.

The difference between $102 and $112 million is effectively meaningless in terms of his quality of life, and that of his family, kids, grandkids, etc.  That isn’t even including any investment income he will make on that money.

What will significantly impact his quality of living is playing on a good or great team… or missing the playoffs as a bottom feeder.  Trying to push for the last extra dollar is directly negatively correlated with the team’s chances of winning.  It is a salary cap world and the team spends right to the cap.  That extra space buys a better player for the roster.  You are going to have a much better 8 years of your life overproducing a $10.5 million a year deal, than having to justify a $12+ million deal every time you go through a slump.

So many veteran players cling on for low money short term deals just for a shot at the Cup.  Winning has value to these guys.

The amount he signs for will give us a hint as to whether or not he was being sincere about wanting to play on a winning team.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nope, maybe you just need to get older to understand.

There is a certain point where the number is just ego.  He will make something between $98-$112 million in career earnings if you take the low and the high ends of a range for his next contract.

The difference between $102 and $112 million is effectively meaningless in terms of his quality of life, and that of his family, kids, grandkids, etc.  That isn’t even including any investment income he will make on that money.

What will significantly impact his quality of living is playing on a good or great team… or missing the playoffs as a bottom feeder.  Trying to push for the last extra dollar is directly negatively correlated with the team’s chances of winning.  It is a salary cap world and the team spends right to the cap.  That extra space buys a better player for the roster.  You are going to have a much better 8 years of your life overproducing a $10.5 million a year deal, than having to justify a $12+ million deal every time you go through a slump.

So many veteran players cling on for low money short term deals just for a shot at the Cup.  Winning has value to these guys.

Brother i am 64.How much more i need to be older?You have experience in this Hockey business maybe??Multimillionaire?Any aspect  of this you are familiar?God bless anyone who think that 10 mill is nothing.Leafs players are not on the board with you.I wish he sign for 5 mill,but i live in reality.Easy to be gent when doesn't cost you from your pocket

Edited by Lemon Face

I'm might be the minority but I was cool with him waiting til' the end of the season to re-sign, At least the P/O would have given us a good glimpse of what he can do when it really counts!

It's the dumb media forcing the issue and if Petey signs his life away and get's too comfortable then we might have a pretty big Petey issue!

I guess 12M in 3-4 years time will seem like a steal if/when he's a 120 point player consistently and the cap rises so much. We'll see garbage players get 10M in free agency. This would very much be paying it forward. There's obviously a risk Petey dips Huberdeau-style but that doesn't happen often to young players and at 25, he's only starting the prime of his career. 3-4 more years of work under Tocchet and the Sedins and he could be one of the best players in the league. I think you just have to pay for future potential, not just what he's shown so far.

Right now he's a 10M guy but to lock down a double-100pt 25 year old, you have to pay the price. NJD got lucky with Jack Hughes but we've got to lock up Petey now long-term. A bridge would be nice for both parties but could just end up causing more stress down the line.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I guess 12M in 3-4 years time will seem like a steal if/when he's a 120 point player consistently and the cap rises so much. We'll see garbage players get 10M in free agency. This would very much be paying it forward. There's obviously a risk Petey dips Huberdeau-style but that doesn't happen often to young players and at 25, he's only starting the prime of his career. 3-4 more years of work under Tocchet and the Sedins and he could be one of the best players in the league. I think you just have to pay for future potential, not just what he's shown so far.

Right now he's a 10M guy but to lock down a double-100pt 25 year old, you have to pay the price. NJD got lucky with Jack Hughes but we've got to lock up Petey now long-term. A bridge would be nice for both parties but could just end up causing more stress down the line.

Unfortunately 3-4 years is probably when our window closes.

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Unfortunately 3-4 years is probably when our window closes.

I doubt it, Petey and Hughes will be in their late 20s and the prime of their careers. Demko will be in his early 30s. Hronek will still be in his prime. Obviously JT will not be very good anymore and costing us a big slab of the cap though.

We're just going to have to rotate the vets out and new kids in. Willander, Podkolzin, Raty and Lekkerimaki will all be solid NHLers by then. Silovs might be stealing games from Thatcher.

I think we've got a window open as long as Petey and Hughes are on this team and so really that's 5-7 years. We might not be top of the league and contending but we'll be there in the playoff discussion. Demko and Miller and Boeser are a bit older but will surely rotate out and mostly have replacements. The one issue we have is young talented center.