[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

5 hours ago, SilentSeater said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole. Petey at age 25 is on pace for his second consecutive 100+ point season. Let’s look at some historical Canucks greats.

Bertuzzi? Never hit 100.

Naslund and the Sedin twins? Once each in their careers. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say at the end of an 8 year deal (if true) Elias Pettersson will easily become the most prolific offensive player in Canucks history.

He has to stay healthy but we have a unique player here, and one that stays around the top 10 in league scoring even as we all feel like he’s a little off.

I am always gonna jump to the defence of Nazzy and Bertuzzi, but they played their entire primes during the dead puck era. I don't care that their stats don't jump off the page. Petey would never touch 90 points during that era with his scrawny stick figure. Big Bert and Nazzy are incredible talents for what they achieved during the dead puck era without a Quinn Hughes on the blueline. Put some respect on their names.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Canucks management don’t seem to let any trade or contract negotiations leak to media…Did we hear leaked reports about the JT Miller signing, Horvat/Hronek/Lindholm trades…

I call BS by Seravalli, nothing more than trying to get Vancouver fans and media all riled up and it works every time, especially around the TDL…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, SilentSeater said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole. Petey at age 25 is on pace for his second consecutive 100+ point season. Let’s look at some historical Canucks greats.

Bertuzzi? Never hit 100.

Naslund and the Sedin twins? Once each in their careers. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say at the end of an 8 year deal (if true) Elias Pettersson will easily become the most prolific offensive player in Canucks history.

He has to stay healthy but we have a unique player here, and one that stays around the top 10 in league scoring even as we all feel like he’s a little off.

In fairness to the other Canuck greats, the past few seasons are seeing the highest goals per game averages since the early 90s.  It's no coincidence we're seeing guys like mcdavid, kucherov, matthews, etc matching records set from back then...

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

6 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I'm might be the minority but I was cool with him waiting til' the end of the season to re-sign, At least the P/O would have given us a good glimpse of what he can do when it really counts!

It's the dumb media forcing the issue and if Petey signs his life away and get's too comfortable then we might have a pretty big Petey issue!

Kind of on the same page as you. I was thinking, if you want the big long term deal, prove it with an exceptional playoff performance.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Will be interesting to see how being paid $4MM more than Miller affects any team dynamic. Especially when Petey is giving up pucks, falling down or on the ice for another goal against.

If he thinks there’s pressure now, he ain’t seen anything yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

2 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Kind of on the same page as you. I was thinking, if you want the big long term deal, prove it with an exceptional playoff performance.

Sometimes you don't get that chance.

I've always believed that you lock up your elite talent as early and as long as you can. 

You can always find complimentary pieces much more easily.

5 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Unfortunately 3-4 years is probably when our window closes.

Well if that’s true it doesn’t matter then. It would be rebuild time and that means dumping the moveable contracts and stocking up on draft picks, so cap not really an issue at that point. I don’t believe in the window thing myself. Competent management should know how to build a successful team and prospect pipeline, to keep plugging the gaps as older players decline, plus cap management and FA signings. We haven’t has that before, but i think this FO may be capable of that. I mean it looks like we have Lekkeramaki (sp?) and Willander developing into what should be core pieces already by that time.

Edited by arsenalian
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sometimes you don't get that chance.

I've always believed that you lock up your elite talent as early and as long as you can. 

You can always find complimentary pieces much more easily.

I guess I’ve seen a few examples of stars signing big long term contracts and then just cruising. Mind you that was in the past more, maybe not this modern era, and damned if I can think of anyone recently, other than Lui, but….I would say that was an outlier and more due to age. Hmm, you may have just convinced me lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Feb; 29th and it still says the same thing;  Today is Thursday, what do you bet it's announced Friday / tomorrow...March 1...

I suspect this deal will be very bonus heavy, and that might keep the AAV down slightly. 

8 hours ago, Coryberg said:

JT signed a 7 year deal...

Screenshot_20240228_235513_Chrome.jpg

Sure but it was with a year remaining on his current deal. End of the day he took what has turned out to be a team friendly deal, especially considering how he has matured into a leader this season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Those are dreads homie.  
She is a new aged hippy.  
I can almost smell her patchouli oils from here 🤢

Having said that, she is a rocket and if that hippy wanted to do a drum circle in my backyard, I’d allow it 

Shes not my type but she is a babe by all means… hippy’s are the most dysfunctional peeps I’ve ever met… 

36 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Feb; 29th and it still says the same thing;  Today is Thursday, what do you bet it's announced Friday / tomorrow...March 1...

So at least two sources say they are talking contact now, rather than in the off season as initially intended.  

Good news for the team.  They need some clarity before TDL if they want to a trade and sign player and not a rental. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I am always gonna jump to the defence of Nazzy and Bertuzzi, but they played their entire primes during the dead puck era. I don't care that their stats don't jump off the page. Petey would never touch 90 points during that era with his scrawny stick figure. Big Bert and Nazzy are incredible talents for what they achieved during the dead puck era without a Quinn Hughes on the blueline. Put some respect on their names.

Nazzy was the best player in the world for a year till that low life head hunted him and hyperextended his elbow and gave him a concussion- nazzy lost his shot after that… ruined his career 

Just now, Jester13 said:

Seravelli now reporting it's sounding like close to $100m total o_O

96 is close to 100.

Pretty much what has been speculated for a long time now.

We weren’t getting him at 11. The cost of a top 10 producing center has gone up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bardown said:

Rick Dhaliwal owes Petey and the Canucks an apology for turning the fan base on Petey.... dude made up crap...They should not allow him into the dressing room.

Are you kidding me? Every fan that "turned on" Pettersson, by suggesting he wasn't playing well (which he hasn't been), did so on their own volition. Dhaliwal may stir up shit, but that's his prerogative. Just like it's an individual's choice to believe the hype or not to. No one owes Pettersson an apology unless they've actually done something unbecoming to him personally.  

• Cheers 3