[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Nope...doesn't matter what he signs for...this will be a common response the second it's announced.  LOL

Tocc said Petey was ‘ok’ and ‘disappears’  in an interview… just saying… Petey needs to engage… consistently complete… bulk up work on strengthening so he isn’t so easy to play against 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Nope...doesn't matter what he signs for...this will be a common response the second it's announced.  LOL

Tocc said Petey was ‘ok’ and ‘disappears’  in an interview… just saying… Petey needs to engage… consistently complete… bulk up work on strengthening so he isn’t so easy to play against 

17 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If it's going to get done sooner then later; Maybe we see a more driven, confident Pettersson. That has, to a large degree, been missing of late.

I don't want him to break our bank, but I think we want him to stay, an even though Tocchet rode him pretty hard today. Probably all  part of the process.

My personal opinion is Petey wants to stay. Make no mistake though; I don't think he's going to get more then 10., maybe 10.5.

I don't see him as a 12 mill player. Those dudes not only have to score, they have to take the pounding, hits, and carry their team's on their shoulders.

If it's the right price the max term wouldn't bother me. 

Nylander got 11.5.  So...yeah, you're wrong.  If Willy is worth 11.5 Petey is worth 12-13.  Sorry, just the way it is. Petey has out produced Willy and plays center.  

I can't understand how so many Canucks fans can watch Petey play and devalue him. Huberdeau is paid 10.5, there is no planet in existence that anyone would take Huberdeau over Pettersson.  McJesus makes 12.5 now but his next contract is going to be max allowed, whatever that is by then.  

I'm hoping for 12, expecting 12.5 but wouldn't be shocked at 13.

• Haha 1

Maybe as an incentive, they should include a bonus for the amount of times he falls down in a year. Maybe give him an extra 200K if he falls down less than 200 times?

In all honestly, I don't get how one of the best players in the world has terrible balance and average edgework, and really hasn't improved in this aspect since joining the NHL. Yes we can see he's stronger, but most of the time he's falling when he gets nudged slightly or there's no one around. We saw in the All-Star skills competition where he fell going around the cones, almost fall in the fastest skater, and almost tripped and fell in the passing competition. Like Buddy, invest some of your millions into someone who can sharpen your skates and teach you how to skate...

Edited by Integra250
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Nylander got 11.5.  So...yeah, you're wrong.  If Willy is worth 11.5 Petey is worth 12-13.  Sorry, just the way it is. Petey has out produced Willy and plays center.  

I can't understand how so many Canucks fans can watch Petey play and devalue him. Huberdeau is paid 10.5, there is no planet in existence that anyone would take Huberdeau over Pettersson.  McJesus makes 12.5 now but his next contract is going to be max allowed, whatever that is by then.  

There are conflicting reports hovering between 11.5-12.5M.  11.5M.  Please.  Please please please

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Lol

People seem to forget the COUNTLESS of times Miller played like a lazy fucker that was atrocious defensively and would play like an actual bozo. 

People forget just how good Petey was last season.

petey deserves some of the critisim he's getting lately i don't deny that.. just like miller deserves the critisim last year and he's been way better this year although there's still some giveaway crap i'd like to see him cut out ie the blind pass in the ozone into the midle. but the countless bashing EP been getting this season even prior to the current slump is a bit much. feels like the fans here only want player if they are a bargain deal.. so i guess next they'll be looking to bash and trade hughes when he's up for a contract because by the time he's up he'll be in the 14-15mil range based on the cap prolly close to 97-98mil at that time, and then we'll be talking about no one every 13 or 14mil+ ever won a cup since there's only a couple players by then in that range.. i'm sure EP hears and sees all the critism and bashing he's been getting from the fans here.. let's just say he's not re-signing here and we are to trade him.. what are the chances of him doing this city and fans that's constantly bashing him a favor and say he'll be willing to negotiate a contract with whatever team that's interested in trading/signing him? he can easily go the PLD route and leak out to the public thru his agent he wants to sign with so and so or he's not interested in negotiating and want to wait till UFA.. vilardi and lafflo turned out ok for the jets but it was a pretty underwhelming return at the time.. would we be ok with a trade like that? coz we sure ain't getting no carlsson fantelli type prospect from any team without a ep guaranteed extension 6 years guaranteed team control vs 1 year and walk? only the wannabe gm here thinks team will be lining up with their top prospect 1st rounder ++++ for 1 year of EP.. 

regardless of him re-signing or not ppl here needs to back off with the bashing and contract negotiation.. that's between him and the team management.. if the management feels it's too much? then they'll trade him.. if they feel like he's worth? they'll sign him.. you think our comment about what he's worth will affect the negotiation? However i do think the constant bashing critisim about him will factor into whether he will leave the team on good terms or not if traded.. ie outright say he wont be re-signing with any team that trades for him. or heck even accept an offer sheet for 1 year if available that i've always said is possible ever since carolina laid down the blueprint on how to proach rfa and screw a team... <10.5mil for 1 year 1st 2nd and a 3rd.. canucks match they get stuck with 10.5mil and a player they can't trade so guaranteed to lose for nothing as ufa.. or don't match and get a weak 1st 2nd and a 3rd... we like to say no one likes vancouver and everyone in the league ref is against vancouver anyways.. so i doubt the rest of the league cares if they proach and screw vancouver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

If he took Nylander money I think most fans would be happy and say Petey took about 500k to 1 million less

If this is a longer term deal, I think 12.5m per is the number. I am a little uncomfortable with that number now but it would look much better as the years go on too so.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Maybe as an incentive, they should include a bonus for the amount of times he falls down in a year. Maybe give him an extra 200K if he falls down less than 200 times?

In all honestly, I don't get how one of the best players in the world has terrible balance and average edgework, and really hasn't improved in this aspect since joining the NHL. Yes we can see he's stronger, but most of the time he's falling when he gets nudged slightly or there's no one around. We saw in the All-Star skills competition where he fell going around the cones, almost fell in the fastest skater, and almost tripped and fell in the passing competition. Like Buddy, invest some of your millions into someone who can sharpen your skates and teach you how to skate...

Pettersson is an extremely smooth stickhandler who likes to play an east-west style of hockey.  He's also fearless when it comes to skating into traffic.  Often results in a scoring chance or a drawn penalty.  The man draws penalties like it's nothing.  

9 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Benning, is that you?

• Haha 4

No news, but post media also said their source has confirmed this. 

A source told Postmedia on Thursday that, in line with reporting by Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli and CHEK-TV’s Rick Dhaliwal, talks between Pettersson’s representation and the team are increasing.

@wai_lai416 I tried giving Miller his due criticism for his poor play last season.  And I got completely flamed for it here.  The exact same people who are faulting Pettersson for every conceivable thing and buying into the media frenzy were dismissing Miller's lower numbers last year as "media noise" and "the team's fault, never J.T.'s fault".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Redhdlois said:

Its not about his points.  

Points are a large part of an offensive players' value.  Near the end of my post,

I addressed other aspects of his game and made a suggestion as to why he

appears to be struggling on the ice. 

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

You are cherry picking examples to suit your argument.  The reverse of that is that Pastrnak is better than Petterson and just signed for $11.25 million.  Panarin has consistently outproduced Petterson and signed his deal when the cap was only a little lower and is for $11.64.  Kucherov is almost 30 points clear of Petterson and is paid $9.5 million.

A couple players being overpaid and on bad contracts doesn't mean you use those as the only benchmarks.

The guys right at the top are just better than Petterson.  That isn't something to be shameful about but he isn't McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews.  He is in the 2nd tier of 10-20 great players who would still be the top player on their respective teams.

So do we pay him or trade him for a return that doesn’t contribute to winning as much as he does, and we are (as a result) a worse team? 

18 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Unfortunately, TO overpaid for Willy's performance.  It isn't a sure thing that he is the standard

for that bloated price.

Calgary's hands were tied with Huber; they had to sign him for his final stats in Fla' or he

would walk.  They gave up Tketchup for him, afterall.

I would be very disappointed if the contract came as high as $13m.  The pressure on Petey

to perform would be outstanding.  The hater rate would be horrific.

My thoughts are that his contract will not exceed $12m; if it weren't for the Willy signing,

it would be less.

Not saying he would or should, but if Petey took $11m, you can pretty much guarantee this team will be a contender for the next several years with a real shot at the cup each and every year.  

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning, is that you?

Dont get the Benning reference on contracts because ALLL of his RFA deals have been excellent. His worst cap hit was 6mil…. Like come on, there was never a Nurse or Jones type of contract. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He doesn’t always play that way though that’s the most frustrating thing.

There were times last season he was strong on pucks and actually laying the body.

It comes down to him not moving his feet and not engaging. Easy to knock someone over when they’re standing still and not engaged.

I know… At the beginning of the season he was engaged and he was making hits - making plays - dominating games… But he has decided to play at half intensity now and so he’s getting knocked down all the time - The Dude is his own worst enemy… It’s frustrating to watch because we know what he is capable of doing

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS