[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When you have enough contracts providing value you shouldn’t need your stars to take 500k less.

Also we have no idea what Joshua will be asking for so it’s premature to say we won’t have enough for him because of Petey’s contract.

Either way I’d rather overpay stars a little bit than bottom 6 players. Stars are much harder to replace.

I'd rather not overpay anybody and have money available to re-sign top tier bottom 6 guys.  When your stars all take $500k less, you find an extra $2m to $3m in cap space to work with.  So it does make a significant difference if your stars buy in and leave a small amount on the table.  Even $250k helps.

• Upvote 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Even though JT is my fav player, it’s kind of nonsense comparing Petey to Miller. Both are different players and both are absolutely needed in a competitive team. They bring different things to the table. Let’s stop the comparing! 

As for the contract, Petey has to be more in value as we are buying his prime years into it and the market has gone up. There is also no available stock out there that is a 25 year old centre who is on the cusp of back to back 100 point seasons who can replace Petey. 

This. I think most any potential trade involving EP, we lose. Tough to imagine enough value coming back as he will be RFA soon, and GM's will know we are in tough. Fingers crossed this franchise cornerstone of a fine young center gets extended. Love EP.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Bardown said:

He shouldn't be making up crap that "petey is not even coming to the table and the canucks are very frustrated"

What is the purpose of that? Only to inflame the fan base towards Petey. If you can't see what such a statement would do to a rabid fanbase maybe you're Dhaliwal

I am unequivocally not Rick Dhaliwal. If the fanbase gets inflamed, they should get some Polysporin first off and secondly blame no one else but themselves for allowing themselves to be inflamed. There's this thing called personal accountability. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I am unequivocally not Rick Dhaliwal. If the fanbase gets inflamed, they should get some Polysporin first off and secondly blame no one else but themselves for allowing themselves to be inflamed. There's this thing called personal accountability. 

Whats donnie like behind the scenes? 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Even though JT is my fav player, it’s kind of nonsense comparing Petey to Miller. Both are different players and both are absolutely needed in a competitive team. They bring different things to the table. Let’s stop the comparing! 

As for the contract, Petey has to be more in value as we are buying his prime years into it and the market has gone up. There is also no available stock out there that is a 25 year old centre who is on the cusp of back to back 100 point seasons who can replace Petey. 

I still remember people saying JT Miller's contract was horrible and that we should trade it away before the trade clause kicked in. You're telling me people are now comparing to it as if Miller's contract is of good value? How times have changed!

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Whats donnie like behind the scenes? 

He’s fussy when he doesn’t get his danish, but other than that, he’s still a bit of a bitch. Hows Hronek? Tell him he needs to tighten it the fuck up in the defensive zone pronto. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's a UFA after the 26-27 season, which gives him multiple offseasons of cap increases to drive up what his extension will cost between now and then

Like I said, wait til we have to re-up Hughes, if he keeps his level of play up the way he historically has he'll get more than Pettersson 

Edited by Bardown
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If it’s 12 mil it’s too much!

If it’s 11.5 mil it’s a great deal!

Funny how much fans fret over 500k of cap space like that will make the difference of winning a championship in the end. 😂

I've said pretty consistently I wouldn't be surprised anywhere up to 12.8

1 hour ago, RomanPer said:

Sorry, the price of a house in Vancouver in 2013 wasn’t $950,000 🙂. A house in Richmond that now costs $2.3 mil was just over $1 mil in 2008 and around $1.5 mil in 2013.

I have all historical stats at my fingertips. The average price of a house in East Vancouver in March 2013 was $947,706. The average price of a house in East Vancouver in January 2024 is $1,928,080. 

These are just the averages. Depending on the area those numbers could be different. 

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Miller isn't really a problem on giveaways, he's only at 35. McDavid has 60 so far. 

He’s better this year but if we are to compare takeaway to giveaway ratio between ep and miller it’s not even close for all the praise miller get and all the bashing ep gets for giving the puck away and bad defensively or whatever 

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

He’s better this year but if we are to compare takeaway to giveaway ratio between ep and miller it’s not even close for all the praise miller get and all the bashing ep gets for giving the puck away and bad defensively or whatever 

tbh I have no idea why anyone would bash Petey defensively 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

He shouldn't be making up crap that "petey is not even coming to the table and the canucks are very frustrated"

What is the purpose of that? Only to inflame the fan base towards Petey. If you can't see what such a statement would do to a rabid fanbase maybe you're Dhaliwal

It always makes me curious as to why people are never taught the art of negotiation. Negotiations can fluctuate for many different reasons. How do we know that Pettersson finally was at his breaking point where he's ready to talk? Just because he SAYS he doesn't want to talk doesn't mean it is set in stone forever. (This may have been part of his tactic).

Ultimately, he IS giving into some of the pressure, but he still holds substantial leverage. The amount of money is more or less determined, but this process is incredibly stressful for anyone involved.

It's easy for an outsider to not consider the concept of stress. Clearly the media coverage and the situation itself has been stressful, which ultimately is affecting his play, as much as he WANTED to avoid that. The team also is stressed out because they NEED to know how much he wants so they can make moves to benefit HIS FUTURE.

Pettersson is not stupid, but he's also not selfish.

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You seem very worried about Rick's feelings.. somewhat triggered by it....The fan base is allowed to do what they please, just as you are. It seems today people think they have a right to tell others how to feel, what to say or what to believe, not in my world sorry.  Rick knew what he was doing, he created drama in one of the drama queen cities of hockey and should have more integrity than that.

From my perspective, he should go apply to TMZ if that's the kind of "journalism" he subscribes to

• Haha 2

Just now, PureQuickness said:

It always makes me curious as to why people are never taught the art of negotiation. Negotiations can fluctuate for many different reasons. How do we know that Pettersson finally was at his breaking point where he's ready to talk? Just because he SAYS he doesn't want to talk doesn't mean it is set in stone forever. (This may have been part of his tactic).

Ultimately, he IS giving into some of the pressure, but he still holds substantial leverage. The amount of money is more or less determined, but this process is incredibly stressful for anyone involved.

It's easy for an outsider to not consider the concept of stress. Clearly the media coverage and the situation itself has been stressful, which ultimately is affecting his play, as much as he WANTED to avoid that. The team also is stressed out because they NEED to know how much he wants so they can make moves to benefit HIS FUTURE.

one of your biggest advantages in any negotiation is your willingness to walk away. Only Petey knows what that is for him. He does seem like a very considerate, thinking person so maybe he's finally figured out what that is for him. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The point was Rick made up nonsense.

Edited by Bardown
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

So do we pay him or trade him for a return that doesn’t contribute to winning as much as he does, and we are (as a result) a worse team? 

That is an utter nonsense question.

Trading him doesn’t mean we are a worse team, that is a made up assumption.  He would almost certainly be the best player involved in the a trade, it doesn’t mean we are a worse team.

If the cost of over $12 million, you can allocate that to other players and have significantly more depth.

Are we a better team with Petterson, a league minimum forward like Bains, and a league minimum D like Brisebois…. Or Lindholm, Joshua, and Tanev who would cost an equivalent cap?

That is just the cap allocation itself.  That doesn’t even include the return for Petterson in a trade.  You are talking at least a high 1st round pick, a blue chip prospect (think Jiricek level), a solid roster player to make some money come back, and likely more.

We could easily be a better team from that trade right away, and certainly as those assets mature.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

You are one of the drama queens here and like to put gasoline to the fire…

As you did with this post: ”

The latter is the concern. When he said he didn’t want the captaincy that to me was a tell. He was planning back then to move on and didn’t want to make it harder. Then it was about wanting to be in a winner. Now it’s about waiting to sign… this is probably all weighing on him because for whatever reason he’s not happy in Van. He’s professional enough to keep trying but when your heart isn’t into something, as hard as you want to put it aside, it will always show. He’s just so good that he can still put up points. 

But, to me,  there’s a clear pattern here of non commitment to the franchise long term…

He’s still playing for his teammates, but I really don’t see him being here after the draft. I think it’s clear he’s not committed to being a Vancouver Canuck. 

Edited yesterday at 05:49 PM by Bardown”

You behave like a troll

Which was based on what? The fact Petey was apparently not willing to come to the table when the team is throwing a cheque book at him according to Dhali.

You think it doesn't hurt the team if they don't know how much cap space they have next year going into a trade deadline?

If you actually read my posts you'd see its based one what Rick Dhaliwal reported

Thanks for the insult, I'm sorry i hurt your feelings. Insults always say more about the person insulting than the one they target. Online bullies are cute

Oh and don't worry I have thick skin, I wasn't born in the "my feelings are hurt generation"....More like sticks and stones world

Edited by Bardown