[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

12 minutes ago, tas said:

how's jonny dahlen doing these days?

He fits SHL nicely. Place 32 in points. 
The funny part is that he and Kuz is alike in their manners. So it was better the Flames took Kuz.. 

Another fun bit is that Lekkerimäki has one point more than Dahlen.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

You are cherry picking examples to suit your argument.  The reverse of that is that Pastrnak is better than Petterson and just signed for $11.25 million.  Panarin has consistently outproduced Petterson and signed his deal when the cap was only a little lower and is for $11.64.  Kucherov is almost 30 points clear of Petterson and is paid $9.5 million.

A couple players being overpaid and on bad contracts doesn't mean you use those as the only benchmarks.

The guys right at the top are just better than Petterson.  That isn't something to be shameful about but he isn't McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews.  He is in the 2nd tier of 10-20 great players who would still be the top player on their respective teams.

Panerin signed after 2018

Kucherov signed after 2018

McDavid signed after 2017

MacKinnon and Pastrnak both get paid until they are 35, buying some of their production decline years saves money. Pettersson might take a little less to buy 1 of his RFA years.

It's not 5 years ago, salaries have increased.  If you can't use Huberdeau as a benchmark then I can't see how you can use contracts signed 5 years ago.

Shit, let's go even further back, Crosby only gets 8.7mil, Malkin only makes 6.1, Gretzky only made 6.5.  

18 hours ago, Catman said:

Production wise how and why would/should we pay EP 4 million more than JT...just age? Seems a slippery slope where we end up like the Leafs core for tens of millions with an awkward cap distribution? Is EP more valuable than TD QH JT and what later FH NZ EL's gonna need? 

Which EP told EF on the barge in Sweden this last summer. A handful of time later Pat Brisson saying they were quite open to negotiating during the the season. Is there a disconnect here? 

Maybe because he will have his 8 best years coming up, while Miller most likely isn't going to play at this level for the remainder of his contract.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'd rather not overpay anybody and have money available to re-sign top tier bottom 6 guys.  When your stars all take $500k less, you find an extra $2m to $3m in cap space to work with.  So it does make a significant difference if your stars buy in and leave a small amount on the table.  Even $250k helps.

I agree and Toronto is an example of why it matters. Imagine if Tavares signed for $10M instead of $11M. Then Matthews probably signs for $10.5-$11M and Marner signs for $10M. Suddenly there's an extra $2.5M-$3M which they could have used to upgrade their goaltending and bring in an all-star caliber goalie or buff up their defense. Now they make it out of the first round and maybe go on a deep run or two.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Just listened to Seravelli talking on Toronto radio and he said it’s 100-112m/8 years is what he said the range is of difference. He said he doesn’t believe either side will walk away over .5-1.5m/year. 

I think anything more than $100 is too much.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just listened to Seravelli talking on Toronto radio and he said it’s 100-112m/8 years is what he said the range is of difference. He said he doesn’t believe either side will walk away over .5-1.5m/year. 

I don't see Seravalli knowing numbers. The Canucks are so tight lipped with this regime, that I think he's "spitballing"

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

He said what he’d heard  is EP40s side said if Vancouver plans on signing him for less than $100,000,000…he walks. 

In my mind since this summer, I aways thoguht 8 x $12.5 was the right number.  Its a pity if its more, cause Hughes is probably gonna need a raise on top of that.

Just now, Joshua.Guy said:

14m per would make Pettersson enemy number one in Vancouver if he wasn't putting up 2 ppg for the next 8 years, lol. 

I don’t think he gets less than 12.5, there’s a dozen teams that would offer him at the very least that in free agency. 

And Vancouver isn’t exactly known for intelligence lol. You have to pay too 10 in the league money for a top 10 in the league player. 

And there’s only 1 player in this league that is capable of 2ppg.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sell.the.team said:

In my mind since this summer, I aways thoguht 8 x $12.5 was the right number.  Its a pity if its more, cause Hughes is probably gonna need a raise on top of that.

He will ask and get anyway.Then you will see rats coming out and saying he dont play defense,doesn't block shots.Overrated.Some things never change

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

So is Demko and Hronek. 

Yea, everyone needs raises (Boeser too)... but I think Hughes will probably want / deserve to be the top paid player on the team.  I shudder to think what his next contract will be.  Luckily we have 3 more years at his current deal.  At least the dead cap differential on OEL's contract will go down by $2.5m+ when we have to resign Hughes!!!!! /s

I don’t think he gets less than 12.5, there’s a dozen teams that would offer him at the very least that in free agency. 

And Vancouver isn’t exactly known for intelligence lol. You have to pay too 10 in the league money for a top 10 in the league player. 

And there’s only 1 player in this league that is capable of 2ppg.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't change my point that the fans would eat him alive with the expectations that would come with said contract. 

17 hours ago, Catman said:

Miller is an 8 million dollar player this is fact. 

Petey is a 7.5 milloin dollar player this is fact.

How does EP grab 4 million more than JT?

Oh and by the way honesty has nothing to do with our interactions here cause we are all liars shouting in an empty room.

If Miller have a couple more 100 points seasons, we'll be happy..

Expect Petey to be around the 100 points mark (baring any injuries) for the next 8 years???/

On top of that Miller signed before the cap was rising, and he was never up in those numbers of points prior to coming to Canucks.

On current form Miller is underpaid by at least 2M if not more... but will likely be playing at 6M level later in his contract... (although what a great thing it would be, if he could continue this level of play in the entirety of his contract).

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

The point was Rick made up nonsense.

Not necessarily. From all accounts, there was NO NEWS until recently. Something changed, for whatever reason. Maybe Pettersson and his agent wanted to milk out a couple of days to sweat ownership/management. Ultimately, if he had decided a few days prior to the deadline, there might not be much of advantage (particularly with the chance of getting injured).

Negotiation is a VERY complicated process and heavily underappreciated and understood. Negotiation skills should've been taught in school, but there must have been a reason for that. As it stands, many people lack basic reasoning skills, given the amount of politicization that people go through. (That in itself is no coincidence). However, it is also strange because intelligence isn't measurable by IQ or the higher level schooling. I truly don't understand why so many people are so emotionally driven, to the point that they will discard whatever knowledge they had obtained to find the answer 'they' were looking for (confirmation bias).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bardown said:

I don't see Seravalli knowing numbers. The Canucks are so tight lipped with this regime, that I think he's "spitballing"

He somehow got wind that negotiations were progressing. You make it sound like that reporters/insiders are constantly making shit up. You should understand that reputation is more important than pushing out a bullshit story for the "clicks". You don't get much money from that. It's the reason why a source like Eklund is trash, whereas Seravalli and Friedman are legit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Not necessarily. From all accounts, there was NO NEWS until recently. Something changed, for whatever reason. Maybe Pettersson and his agent wanted to milk out a couple of days to sweat ownership/management. Ultimately, if he had decided a few days prior to the deadline, there might not be much of advantage (particularly with the chance of getting injured).

Negotiation is a VERY complicated process and heavily underappreciated and understood. Negotiation skills should've been taught in school, but there must have been a reason for that. As it stands, many people lack basic reasoning skills, given the amount of politicization that people go through. (That in itself is no coincidence). However, it is also strange because intelligence isn't measurable by IQ or the higher level schooling. I truly don't understand why so many people are so emotionally driven, to the point that they will discard whatever knowledge they had obtained to find the answer 'they' were looking for (confirmation bias).

I have spent 18 years in Corporate finance and M&A in NYC and Toronto, I appreciate the negotiation tips!

My goodness

Edited by Bardown
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Bardown said:

You seem very worried about Rick's feelings.. somewhat triggered by it....The fan base is allowed to do what they please, just as you are. It seems today people think they have a right to tell others how to feel, what to say or what to believe, not in my world sorry.  Rick knew what he was doing, he created drama in one of the drama queen cities of hockey and should have more integrity than that.

From my perspective, he should go apply to TMZ if that's the kind of "journalism" he subscribes to

The lack of critical thinking is the key problem when dealing with the media.  Being able to

see the difference from rumour or fact, by evaluating the information logically as well as the

validity it's origin.  If the statement isn't backed up with a reasonable source, it is a false statement.

As you have been one of the primary carriers of the many false statements regarding EP,

I cordially suggest that you take time to analyze what you hear or read and determine the

logic behind the comments.

Or, maybe you are just a fan of a rival club and simply enjoy needling the home team crowd?

If that's the case...well, that is really kind of sad.  I would recommend you go out and find a life.

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1