[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Canucks, Pettersson resume negotiations after trade talks with Hurricanes

There’s no doubt both Canucks and Pettersson’s camp are making a legit attempt to get this done

Elliotte Friedman | @FriedgeHNIC

February 29, 2024, 5:50 PM

Acording to multiple sources, the Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes had discussions about Elias Pettersson that advanced to a stage where both the Canucks and the player needed to make serious decisions about where their relationship was headed.

The Canucks ultimately decided in favour of another attempt at extending Pettersson, and he, facing the possibility Vancouver could move him, allowed agents Pat Brisson and JP Barry to resume negotiations. Previously, the talented forward indicated he preferred to wait until after the season.

No extension is complete at this time, but there certainly is momentum in that direction, as Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli reported Wednesday. Should it be completed, it will allow the Canucks a very clear picture of their future cap situation heading into next week’s trade deadline.

Friedman talks about multiple sources, when he’s the only one I’ve read that news about involving Carolina. It seems like he’s always wanting to stir the pot in Vancouver. Even if it is true, which it probably is, Friedman would never be allowed to share stories like that about Toronto deals / negotiations on Sportsnet. He’s essentially telling the Canuck fan base, “your team was preparing to get rid of its superstar if he didn’t come to the table to negotiate”. And again, even if true, there are lines Friedman crosses with Canucks that he won’t with Leafs. Any chance Sportsnet has to dump on Canucks (like making the Bruce firing worse than it had to be by breaking Tocchet news way early and then saying Canucks are awful for not firing Bruce earlier), they jump on it.

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Of course it will be much more then what Miller makes. Miller took less to make more so to speak. 8k for the rest of his hockey days and then some.

Watch the announcement on Pettersson,s new deal be announced at game time or during..🤣

Then again, what does Carolina have that we may have taken if it all fell though ? 

Can't imagine it wouldn't have involved Aho

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Why? Aho is 1 year older and his best season to date is 83pts in 82gms.  Petey would be an upgrade on that and so to sweeten the deal, the Canes include pending UFA Pesce.  Pretty fair deal IMO.  

Aho is cost controlled through '31, they would be looking for another top C in their top 6. 

I do think JK would be part of the return back to us, also because he's cost controlled but as a 3C. We'd run with Miller and Lindholm for our top 6 C's. 

But I also think the wily old JR just used Carolina to accelerate the process to our benefit.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Depends on who was coming back. If Aho its a pretty even swap.

Aho has broke 80 points in a season once. Really good hockey player, but not on the same plane as Petey. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Friedman talks about multiple sources, when he’s the only one I’ve read that news about involving Carolina. It seems like he’s always wanting to stir the pot in Vancouver. Even if it is true, which it probably is, Friedman would never be allowed to share stories like that about Toronto deals / negotiations on Sportsnet. He’s essentially telling the Canuck fan ASE, “your team was preparing to get rid of its superstar if he didn’t come to the table to negotiate”. And again, even if true, there are lines Friedman crosses with Canucks that he won’t with Leafs. Any chance Sportsnet has to dump on Canucks (like making the Bruce firing worse than it had to be by breaking Tocchet news way early and then saying Canucks are awful for not firing Bruce earlier), they jump on it.

Maybe Pettersson manager is source.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Aho is cost controlled through '31, they would be looking for another top C in their top 6. 

I do think JK would be part of the return back to us, also because he's cost controlled but as a 3C. We'd run with Miller and Lindholm for our top 6 C's. 

But I also think the wily old JR just used Carolina to accelerate the process to our benefit.

You really think Kotkaniemi was the main piece being included in the package?  He's not even worth as much as Lindholm, let alone Petey.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Now that is using some leverage.  Who knows how far it had really progressed and what the return being talked about was.  It definitely had the effect of sending a message to the player’s camp that the team doesn’t intend on being held hostage.

Can you imagine a scenario where the top team in the league trades a top ten scorer in the league midseason?  That would cause some jaws to drop.

Two weeks ago i said that Alvin sending indirectly message to Pettersson.Or sign or we have partners for trade

• Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

You really think Kotkaniemi was the main piece being included in the package?  He's not even worth as much as Lindholm, let alone Petey.  

Kotkaniemi???? Who are we trading, Hoglander? 

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

no, I didn't say he was the 'main piece' just a piece. 

Don't forget, its really unlikely that Carolina would be allowed to negotiate an extension, so on their end they might only be getting 1.5 seasons of Petey.

But yeah I do think it would have been a 4 or 5 lesser piece deal. Petey would be the best piece moved for sure.

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Friedman talks about multiple sources, when he’s the only one I’ve read that news about involving Carolina. It seems like he’s always wanting to stir the pot in Vancouver. Even if it is true, which it probably is, Friedman would never be allowed to share stories like that about Toronto deals / negotiations on Sportsnet. He’s essentially telling the Canuck fan base, “your team was preparing to get rid of its superstar if he didn’t come to the table to negotiate”. And again, even if true, there are lines Friedman crosses with Canucks that he won’t with Leafs. Any chance Sportsnet has to dump on Canucks (like making the Bruce firing worse than it had to be by breaking Tocchet news way early and then saying Canucks are awful for not firing Bruce earlier), they jump on it.

Friedman is the biggest  Canucks troll there is. He takes pleasure in riling up the Canuck fans. I guess because it’s easy to do. I wish he’d trip over the big bottom lip of his.  

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

Management gotta be pissed this leaked 

… or super happy as the entire plan was to exert leverage on Petterson’s camp.

That was one of the things Benning was worst at.  He did everything he could to give the agents all the leverage in negotiations.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

no, I didn't say he was the 'main piece' just a piece. 

Don't forget, its really unlikely that Carolina would be allowed to negotiate an extension, so on their end they might only be getting 1.5 seasons of Petey.

But yeah I do think it would have been a 4 or 5 lesser piece deal. Petey would be the best piece moved for sure.

I disagree completely.  There's zero chance Petey would be moved for quantity over quality.  Absolutely zero.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Funny how little people know about Aho. Not a chance Carolina is moving him, even if it's for Pettersson. If this rumour is true, then it would've been for Necas+. Necas is also a pending RFA after this season unlike Aho who they have locked up long term and is their captain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Useful idiots have their uses, just ask Putin. While I cannot point to a concrete example, I am sure certain tidbits are whispered into the ears of pundits who then go off to the races with their "insider sources said this to me" rants. PA / JR would never come out and say "we offered Petey $12M AAV and he said 'I want to wait until the season is over." ... however, one of PA / JR staff could be having a conversation with a friend over drinks while Friedman just happens to be within earshot and staff lets said tidbit slip. 

Plausible deniability and the message is out there to be discussed. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This, JR would absolutely do this but then have the brass ones to follow through if the message was not well received by Petey's camp. 

Again all pure speculation on my part but I could absolutely see JR / PA pulling this off whereas Benning most likely couldn't given his rep is no where near that of JR / PA. My two shekels worth.

4 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Friedman is the biggest  Canucks troll there is. He takes pleasure in riling up the Canuck fans. I guess because it’s easy to do. I wish he’d trip over the big bottom lip of his.  

Dreger has and will always be a much bigger troll.  He is cousins with Nonis and never got over our ugly split. I find Friedman's treatment of the Canucks to be a breath of fresh air from that of the old TSN crew who used to rule the trade rumor circuit. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Plaguez said:

Nylander got 11.5.  So...yeah, you're wrong.  If Willy is worth 11.5 Petey is worth 12-13.  Sorry, just the way it is. Petey has out produced Willy and plays center.  

I can't understand how so many Canucks fans can watch Petey play and devalue him. Huberdeau is paid 10.5, there is no planet in existence that anyone would take Huberdeau over Pettersson.  McJesus makes 12.5 now but his next contract is going to be max allowed, whatever that is by then.  

I'm hoping for 12, expecting 12.5 but wouldn't be shocked at 13.

Why not bring up Mackinnon at 12.6 for the next 7 years?

A deal from Carolina would be like Jarvis, Morrow, and a 1st.

I doubt they ever got very far in negotiations though. For all we know it was just a tactic to put pressure on Petterssons camp.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into “Fridge’s” reports. He’s constantly trolling cause he doesn’t have very good sources in Vancouver.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

Funny how little people know about Aho. Not a chance Carolina is moving him, even if it's for Pettersson. If this rumour is true, then it would've been for Necas+. Necas is also a pending RFA after this season unlike Aho who they have locked up long term and is their captain.

I don't think so... but if it was Necas you've got to add another roster player, a first, Morrow and... something else of significant value to even get close. 

• Like 1