[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t fluke your way to back to back 100+ point seasons in the NHL without being a great player. 😂

Uh just some context - when Naslund scored 104 in 2003, that was 98% of what Forsberg scored (led the league with 106).

Pettersson's 102 pts last year gave him about 66% of what Mcdavid scored 🤣🤣🤣

Would have been funny if after all the Miller to Carolina stuff it ended up being Petey instead, just like everyone wanting to trade Miller to keep Horvat ended up seeing Horvat traded instead. Miller's the ultimate Uno reverse card.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I don't think so... but if it was Necas you've got to add another roster player, a first, Morrow and... something else of significant value to even get close. 

Perhaps, but the point is there is no point in Carolina moving Aho. And I don't see any other significant pieces other than Necas that would be dangled.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

And what if that's all the market will provide?

And what if it's not.  I referenced what it looked like the last time an elite RFA was traded (Tkachuk).  He even limited calgary to what team(s) he would like to be traded to.  Still landed quality and quantity.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Theo5789 said:

Perhaps, but the point is there is no point in Carolina moving Aho. And I don't see any other significant pieces other than Necas that would be dangled.

The point is that Petterson is a superior player and they haven’t gotten over the hump despite being a ‘contender’ for a few years. 

I agree that Necas would be the next piece up but man they’d have to add a lot to move the needle from there. He just isn’t very enticing at all when you’re talking about a player of Petey’s caliber. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Friedman used to be pretty reliable, but he's become a parody of himself. All the talk jocks like to question him and hang on his every word. The conversation usually goes something like:

Q: So there's talk of Player X being unhappy in Vancouver.

Friedman: Well, I think you guys want to sign him, but I think it won't be easy. I think the team has looked around to gauge trade interest, but I think it might be premature.

Q: Any idea what teams, Elliotte?

Freidman: I think maybe there may be a couple of eastern division teams in the mix. You look at what Player X brings and I think there are few teams that can offer anything of his value. Like, I think Montreal might be interested, but I think they'd have a hard time making it work.

Q: So, what are the odds the Canucks move him?

Freidman: Well, I think it's maybe 50-50, but I think it may not get done at all.

So Elliotte has said a lot without saying anything useful. All speculation, all the time. Tell me I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. But he also has a job to keep.

Just now, HKSR said:

And what if it's not.  I referenced what it looked like the last time an elite RFA was traded (Tkachuk).  He even limited calgary to what team(s) he would like to be traded to.  Still landed quality and quantity.  

Did it? Hubie looks like a disaster contract.

I'm not interested in finding a hill to die on over it, but a package of young players and prospects back seems most likely to me as what was discussed.

But like I said, I think the most likely thing is Rutherford just played everyone back to the table.

• Like 1
  • Wiener 1

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

The point is that Petterson is a superior player and they haven’t gotten over the hump despite being a ‘contender’ for a few years. 

I agree that Necas would be the next piece up but man they’d have to add a lot to move the needle from there. He just isn’t very enticing at all when you’re talking about a player of Petey’s caliber. 

Exactly.  If it's not Aho, they would have to add a helluva lot to match the value of Petey.  Necas + Jarvis ++ 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

These negotiations have been interesting. I'm wondering if someone in management leaked the trade talks to media to force Petey's hand. But then wouldn't Petey's camp know that? A lot of little games being played here. I find it fascinating. 

Someone leaked it and it definitely benefits the Canucks. Let’s say they were probably not so keen on keeping it a secret…..Petey must have had an oh shit moment, lol! 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Did it? Hubie looks like a disaster contract.

I'm not interested in finding a hill to die on over it, but a package of young players and prospects back seems most likely to me as what was discussed.

But like I said, I think the most likely thing is Rutherford just played everyone back to the table.

You can't look at it now.  You have to look at the value at the time.  The hockey world was in awe that the 3rd highest scorer in the entire NHL was traded, a bona-fide top 4 (maybe even top pair) RHD, a prospect, and a 1st also included ... all for 1 Matthew Tkachuk.  At the time, it was a MASSIVE package of quality and quantity.  

Kotkaniemi is garbage in terms of value compared to that package moved for an RFA Tkachuk.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Canucks, Pettersson resume negotiations after trade talks with Hurricanes

There’s no doubt both Canucks and Pettersson’s camp are making a legit attempt to get this done

Elliotte Friedman | @FriedgeHNIC

February 29, 2024, 5:50 PM

Acording to multiple sources, the Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes had discussions about Elias Pettersson that advanced to a stage where both the Canucks and the player needed to make serious decisions about where their relationship was headed.

The Canucks ultimately decided in favour of another attempt at extending Pettersson, and he, facing the possibility Vancouver could move him, allowed agents Pat Brisson and JP Barry to resume negotiations. Previously, the talented forward indicated he preferred to wait until after the season.

No extension is complete at this time, but there certainly is momentum in that direction, as Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli reported Wednesday. Should it be completed, it will allow the Canucks a very clear picture of their future cap situation heading into next week’s trade deadline.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  If it's not Aho, they would have to add a helluva lot to match the value of Petey.  Necas + Jarvis ++ 

and what they have in the pipeline is pretty underwhelming. I just don’t see it. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have all historical stats at my fingertips. The average price of a house in East Vancouver in March 2013 was $947,706. The average price of a house in East Vancouver in January 2024 is $1,928,080. 

These are just the averages. Depending on the area those numbers could be different. 

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

Sorry, it says right there - "Townhouse". How many elite hockey players live in townhouses? And let alone in East Vancouver 🙂 

Just now, Dizzle said:

and what they have in the pipeline is pretty underwhelming. I just don’t see it. 

Yup, upgrading Aho with the cost of giving up Pesce is the easiest transaction for Carolina without disrupting their team.  

• Upvote 1