[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well i can be debated who drives the play on McDs line? Does that mean Draiseitl isn't a superatar?

Imagine to suggest a player on course for 100points with a black hole and a 3rd liner as his wingers is considered not to drive play... 

Don't know where you find 100+ points players that doesn't drive play and aren't superstars... please let management know, as I'm sure they'd like to know, where you find these... think they would like a few more of these just about now. 

Feel like "drives play" is just something people like to hide behind. One thing that is concerning though is I feel like Pete has gotten away from what made him a super star. It used to be that no matter who you put next to him they would suddenly look like 1st liners. Like the sedins did with Cowan, Byron Bitz, Santorelli et all looking at you Carter. Feel like this comment for Tocc about chasing stats was in large part directed in Petes direction.

Pete has to get back to his staples. I don't care if he hits a hundo. I don't think MGMT do either. I want to see him help Mik bust his slump, make Lafferty look like a 20g scorer, unleash Lindy. When he does that he's a super star. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

MacKinnon is 28 years old and signed a contract for 8 years until he is 36... ie expect some regression in his final years. Similar argument was put forward about Miller being paid $8M but he would regress at the end of his contract. 
Secondly MacKinnon is paid $12.6M not $12M 

Thirdly one could easily argue that MacKinnon is being underpaid? Not sure, what the tax is in Colorado? That may make up for the difference compared to Vancouver, but have a fair idea that he is taxed less than Petey? Anyone knows?

Finally, Petey will only be 33, when this contract ends, so very likely he'll be producing the same points total over the next 8 years as MacKinnon does. 
So while I think MacKinnon is a better player than Petey, doesn't mean Petey shouldn't be getting $11-12M... 

Have you actually heard, what the contract sounds like? 

No, but like I said, the numbers being thrown around here for him are $12-$12.5 which is right in MacKinnon range, and that is my point. I don't feel like he is worth it. I respect everyone's opinion on this, but I am not sold on this guy. I used to really like him, but I am not sure I would want management to handcuff themselves to a $12 per X 8 years.

Edited by Ohthehumanity

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Feel like "drives play" is just something people like to hide behind. One thing that is concerning though is I feel like Pete has gotten away from what made him a super star. It used to be that no matter who you put next to him they would suddenly look like 1st liners. Like the sedins did with Cowan, Byron Bitz, Santorelli et all looking at you Carter. Feel like this comment for Tocc about chasing stats was in large part directed in Petes direction.

Pete has to get back to his staples. I don't care if he hits a hundo. I don't think MGMT do either. I want to see him help Mik bust his slump, make Lafferty look like a 20g scorer, unleash Lindy. When he does that he's a super star. 

Pretty sure 'drives play' is the opposite of 'little things'

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

He is in a alump just now, a month ago this wasn't really an issue. 
Not sure what the reason is, but could ve many things...

It just feels like its shitting on Petey month all of a sudden, because someone came out and said, he has refused to sign a $12Mx8 contract, a report that was later withdrawn. 
Petey normally drives the bus on his line, he is normally the guys that steers the drinks and, yes, makes he linemates better. 
How did McD get on in the beginning of the season? Not too well as far as I remember, nobody would now say he isn't $15M player? Matthews? Nylander paid, is it $11M? 
In the end somebody has to put the points on the board, but yes he is not in super form just now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

No, but like I said, the numbers being thrown around here for him are $12-$12.5 which is right in MacKinnon range, and that is my point. I don't feel like he is worth it. I respect everyone's opinion on this, but I am not sold on this guy. I used to really like him, but I am not sure I would want management to handcuff themselves to a $12 per X 8 years.

That very fair. 
Personally I see him between $11-12M but if it was all based on the last month, less...

but as say form is temporary but takent is permanent. 

• Like 1

Where are all the Petey is a “Selke calibre center” LOL

Guy has some of the most brutal giveaways. He doesn’t deserve anything close to 12M. Personally I’d only give him 10M. But I bet they’ll get him for 11M or something stupid like that. Petey said he wanted to play for a winner but he doesn’t play like a winner himself. 

I think the final cap hit will be 12.5M. While I agree Petey isn't worth that money NOW, he may well be in the future and that's just what you have to cough up for signing a 25 year old 100pt player (x2). As crap as he's been of late, he's earned a big contract. Not many guys under 25 drop 100pts once let alone twice (although he's stumbling a bit now so may not actually hit it ironically). Thing is he may still be way off his prime as most young guys really hit their strides in their late 20s, so we could have a perennial 100pt player on our hands. You pay a guy like that 12+M easily, especially with the cap going up.

I'd just wish they'd use Marner or Nylander as comparibles but again they're wingers...

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He is in a alump just now, a month ago this wasn't really an issue. 
Not sure what the reason is, but could ve many things...

It just feels like its shitting on Petey month all of a sudden, because someone came out and said, he has refused to sign a $12Mx8 contract, a report that was later withdrawn. 
Petey normally drives the bus on his line, he is normally the guys that steers the drinks and, yes, makes he linemates better. 
How did McD get on in the beginning of the season? Not too well as far as I remember, nobody would now say he isn't $15M player? Matthews? Nylander paid, is it $11M? 
In the end somebody has to put the points on the board, but yes he is not in super form just now. 

And as I said in the gdt.........to me, it seems like how Petey goes, the team follows.  When he's playing well, the team is playing well. When he struggles, so too does the team.  I know people love to think it's miller who carries the team, but it's not, it's Petey, imo.

• Like 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think the final cap hit will be 12.5M. While I agree Petey isn't worth that money NOW, he may well be in the future and that's just what you have to cough up for signing a 25 year old 100pt player (x2). As crap as he's been of late, he's earned a big contract. Not many guys under 25 drop 100pts once let alone twice (although he's stumbling a bit now so may not actually hit it ironically). Thing is he may still be way off his prime as most young guys really hit their strides in their late 20s, so we could have a perennial 100pt player on our hands. You pay a guy like that 12+M easily, especially with the cap going up.

I'd just wish they'd use Marner or Nylander as comparibles but again they're wingers...

Definitely, we still have to remember he's on pace for another 100 point season.  That's significant money right there.  I'd be thrilled if it's only a 3ish year deal 

There is reportedly an offer on the table for Pettersson's contract in the range of $90M to $96M AAV, according to Nick Kypreos. They're basically giving him two options, sign or trade.

He then went on to say, if you're not committed, that's fine - but you will be dealt. 

Edited by Dom
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I agree 100%. Guy is not a “winner”. No win now mentality. Just coasts around most of the game. People were calling him Selke calibre lol. With those many brutal giveaways resulting in goals? If it’s 12M I hope it’s only for 4 years. If it’s 8 years it better be for 10M cause that’s all he deserves (if that tbh). Miller at 8M is a steal!!!

If the Canucks sign him for 12Mx8 we will never win the cup in those 8 years. Not with his attitude. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And as I said in the gdt.........to me, it seems like how Petey goes, the team follows.  When he's playing well, the team is playing well. When he struggles, so too does the team.  I know people love to think it's miller who carries the team, but it's not, it's Petey, imo.

LOL you don't think Miller, Demko, or Huggy struggling would have a greater effect on the teams performance? Obviously Pete putting up assists for the wrong team is going to hurt.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Uhhh... wrong. It's Hughes who carries the team lol. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Where are all the Petey is a “Selke calibre center” LOL

Guy has some of the most brutal giveaways. He doesn’t deserve anything close to 12M. Personally I’d only give him 10M. But I bet they’ll get him for 11M or something stupid like that. Petey said he wanted to play for a winner but he doesn’t play like a winner himself. 

When he turns it on, keep that same energy.

Honestly with Petterrson’s play this years he’s gone from being one of my favourites of the “core” to being my least favourite. Miller is undoubtedly the leader of this team regardless of who wears the C. This team goes as far as Miller goes.

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The issue I have with the "The cap is going up" argument is that the cap is there to create an entire team and not just one player. If it goes up $4m next year, and Petey wants, say, 13%, that's only an extra 500k he should command from it. 100pt players garner $10m, so that puts him, realistically, around $10.5m.

Allvin & Co are not going with the Toronto model. If they were, they would've signed Bo for $8.5. I think Petey will come in under $12m, or we'll see him in another jersey sooner rather than later. 

Just now, Odd. said:

When he turns it on, keep that same energy.

Lol. Turns what on? Giveaway after giveaway? Brutal coverage on the powerplay? Lack of back checking once you know you’ve screwed up? Guy has single handed lay cost us games this year. You don’t hear about Mackinnon or Mcdavid or Mathews costing their teams games, they win games for them. No way Petey deserves to get paid like them. He’s not on the same level of being a game changer as those names. Petey is the second fiddle on a cup winning team not the main character.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The issue I have with the "The cap is going up" argument is that the cap is there to create an entire team and not just one player. If it goes up $4m next year, and Petey wants, say, 13%, that's only an extra 500k he should command from it. 100pt players garner $10m, so that puts him, realistically, around $10.5m.

Allvin & Co are not going with the Toronto model. If they were, they would've signed Bo for $8.5. I think Petey will come in under $12m, or we'll see him in another jersey sooner rather than later. 

Cap going up won’t help us. The increase will just be eaten up by the OEL buyout sadly. By the time it’s gone we’ll have Hughes/Demko to renew.